The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: GLOBAL Box office take
$1.5B+ 12 26.67%
$1.3B - $1.5B 2 4.44%
$1.0B - $1.3B 18 40.00%
$800k - $1.0B 11 24.44%
<$800k 2 4.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #76
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Box Office Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post

I respectfully understand the logic behind it, Batman did 1B twice on it's own and MOS was a pretty good hit bringing in around 660M. However, there's a huge flaw to said logic. First off, Batman hit 1B twice, but just barley by about 8M the first time and around 80M the second time. Not taking anything away from it, just stating fact. They didn't wave as they raced by the 1B marker like The Avengers did. TDK hitting 1B was also a result of having arguably THE BEST villain performance of all time, who tragically passed away during it's time of release. Nonetheless, it ended up going down as one of, if not THE best CBM of all time. TDKR could have pre sold millions of tickets without even revealing a trailer based on their previous instalment. MOS was questionable from the critic stand point, along with some of the fans. Visually stunning, yet lacked in character development. The box office speaks for itself. A good box office, 660M is nothing to joke about... However, in respect to where it should have been, average. Disappointing for fans, a miracle for some.
Considering you could very well have said all of this about the state of marvel right up to the avengers marketing campaign started, I'm curious what pray tell is going to stop BvS from making a similar leap in revenue?

Last I checked MoS outgrossed all those marvel films in some from and what's more the bat and superman are more known (home and abroad) than any of the avengers were. What's more, I don't recall people exactly buzzing about IM2 going into avengers and he's the selling point..

Batman may have crawled by the 1 billion dollar mark on his own. But what did thor do? What did cap do, hawkeye...This isn't a discussion about what a batman reboot is going to do, it's about the brand power and how it's going to contribute. A brand that does that on it's own now somehow making 800mill in conjunction with another brand on it's way to doing these same numbers?

Quote:
My point is that I don't see this new movie carrying that kind of momentum (Avengers or Nolan's Batman). It's carrying the Batman and Superman name and that's about it for me. I much would have rather had a MOS sequel on it's own and then bring Batman in later on. It feels like a cry for help, like they're bringing in the subs already due to it's underwhelming reviews and average BO (again, for what Superman fans wanted it to be.)
My Point
is that, people said this exact same stuff about avengers, go look up the early predictions for that film. At the very least you will find no one thinking it would top TDKR numbers.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #77
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Again people who are saying it will make a billion on names only aren't acknowledging the need for a good and entertaining story, something Avengers had and something that will probably be lacking with Goyer and Snyder writing.
I believe MOS did better than all the other "first" movies with the exception of ASM so that might be an indication hat audiences will show up for an MOS2. I just believe movies like Avengers and TDK had many things going for them, not just 2 iconic characters meeting.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #78
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Again people who are saying it will make a billion on names only aren't acknowledging the need for a good and entertaining story, something Avengers had and something that will probably be lacking with Goyer and Snyder writing.
I believe MOS did better than all the other "first" movies with the exception of ASM so that might be an indication hat audiences will show up for an MOS2. I just believe movies like Avengers and TDK had many things going for them, not just 2 iconic characters meeting.
MOS costs less and beat ASM domestically, and didn't make as much in countries where the studios get's a fraction of the profits. It's impossible to say for sure. Ergo why I personally have IM1/MOS/ASM around the same block.
That being said I only point it out in light of having to hear constantly about BvS hinging on MOS's humble profits as if the same shouldn't apply even harder going into avengers.

What's more, I wasn't under the impression that we assumed the worst of the quality of film in these predictions. Especially considering goyer has been a part of the better side of this genre as well, him and Nolan. Moreover, the big 'mistakes' as fans have put it, such as destruction and killing.....might not be repeated given the producers now know what 'fans' think.

The comparison needs to be clear. What did avengers have going in, that BvS doesn't. Judging what BvS might be vs what Avengers had in hindsight is pointless. Goyer/Nolan/Snyder could very well produce TDK again.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #79
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
My Point
is that, people said this exact same stuff about avengers, go look up the early predictions for that film. At the very least you will find no one thinking it would top TDKR numbers.

The Avengers: April 11th, 2012.

The Dark Knight Rises: July 16th, 2012.

I'm aware you're talking about before either of them came out, but still. Nobody thought IM3 would do it's numbers either. Crazy stuff happens. I just don't see it happening for BVS.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

Last edited by JOE; 11-13-2013 at 12:40 PM.
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #80
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm aware you're talking about before either of them came out, but still. Nobody thought IM3 would do it's numbers either. Crazy stuff happens. I just don't see it happening for BVS.
Not sure what you posted but I agree, crazy stuff does happen. I just happened to fail to see the writing in the sand last time. Never again.

Skimming a few 2012 box office prediction sites it was almost all the same thing with avengers(IM numbers adjusted for inflation). All I'm saying is that WorldsFinest has more or less the same things going for it going in as that property. But with the benefit of the batman brand(strongest singular cbm brand at the moment imo) and Affleck, viable superman...etc.

I just think it's being underrated. I'm almost certain after the batfleck reaction fiasco. A week before opening you're going to see some unheard of tracking numbers.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #81
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Crazy stuff does happen and currently, whether it's positive or negative reactions, all eyes are on this movie.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #82
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

if the trailers are as good as they should be, and the marketing is as effective as i expect, i think this film will out-gross avengers 2.

batman and superman are the most recognized super heroes in the world, despite the headway marvel has made in getting their lesser known heroes into the mainstream. if branded the right way, the hype for a batman/superman team up we've never seen on the big screen should exceed avengers.

If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
The Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #83
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Since it's a Zack Snyder film, nobody should worry about the trailers not being stunning.

I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #84
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Since it's a Zack Snyder film, nobody should worry about the trailers not being stunning.
that's why i can't wait for that first trailer. it will blow minds and the buzz will be off the charts. i'll probably attend a movie i don't have much interest in seeing just to see the trailer in theaters.

If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
The Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #85
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
that's why i can't wait for that first trailer. it will blow minds and the buzz will be off the charts. i'll probably attend a movie i don't have much interest in seeing just to see the trailer in theaters.
Personally, I hope we get two teasers like we did with MOS. Superman's POV will be he doesn't want Batman's vigilante justice in his city(assuming most of the film takes place in Metropolis) and Batman's POV is Superman is public enemy #1 and wants to bring him down any way he can.

Last edited by TheNextNolan22; 11-13-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #86
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Personally, I hope we get two teasers like we did with MOS. Superman's POV will be he doesn't Batman's vigilante justice in his city(assuming most of the film takes place in Metropolis) and Batman's POV is Superman is public enemy #1 and wants to bring him down any way he can.
I can see a great campaign in the perspective angle. Kinda like the thought bubble vantage style from the superman/batman books.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #87
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

@ Marvin, I'll have to take your word for the ASM box office vs MOS. I personally have always heard ASM grossed more, but if it is only in terms of overseas vs domestic than that changes things a little bit. I don't buy that Batman is being brought in because the studio is unhappy with how MOS performed, especially if Lex is in the movie then the 2 Easter eggs are proof that this was always the plan. I just believe that a large part of why Avengers did so good was because of the story not the movies leading up to it.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #88
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

ASM did gross more overseas, but he's ALWAYS been popular over there.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #89
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Spider-Man's always been really popular.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #90
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
ASM did gross more overseas, but he's ALWAYS been popular over there.
I can't wrap my brain around why this is the case.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #91
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Well, Supes does have the highest grossing superhero reboot here in 'MURICA so there's that.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #92
JOE

TASM 2 is going to tear it up overseas as well. With all the new stuff happening in that movie, building of Sinister 6 and Peter's past... It'll be a force to be reckoned with.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #93
Juha Bach
Side-Kick

This movie is any marketers dream especially if they use the versus angle in the marketing like team superman or team batman t shirts.Not to mention the potential product placement deals it would generate. In all honesty from a financial perspective, this is probably the easiest profit making decision WB has had to make in a long time.

Juha Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #94
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

It's definitely going to be a cash cow. The marketing for this film is one to salivate on for sure.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #95
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha Bach View Post
This movie is any marketers dream especially if they use the versus angle in the marketing like team superman or team batman t shirts.Not to mention the potential product placement deals it would generate. In all honesty from a financial perspective, this is probably the easiest profit making decision WB has had to make in a long time.
Amen.

The best part is, they haven't even played the JLA card yet. Which means the GA won't see it as an Avengers ripp but a whole new entity. What's more it's insanely accessible, everyone get's it.
On a basic level it's like selling tickets to Jordanvs Kobe/lebron show.
Marketers dream

Old 11-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #96
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:

I feel like everyone thought IM3 would do numbers

Pickleweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #97
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Amen.

The best part is, they haven't even played the JLA card yet. Which means the GA won't see it as an Avengers ripp but a whole new entity. What's more it's insanely accessible, everyone get's it.
Marketers dream
Dat variety.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #98
Juha Bach
Side-Kick

Quote:
Amen.

Marketers dream
That the beauty of all of this. They get to keep the novelty in both the movies. Am already beyond excited that we will see batman and superman together, i cant even imagine how i will feel when they add wonder woman flash and green lantern into the mix.
Another thing that has seemed to work out for WB is the announcement of ben affleck as batman. Now majority(including myself) may not have liked it but Bad press is still press. That announcement in itself was marketing. The awareness for this movie is insane. People know it being made and that is what you as a movie making business.

Juha Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #99
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha Bach View Post
That the beauty of all of this. They get to keep the novelty in both the movies. Am already beyond excited that we will see batman and superman together, i cant even imagine how i will feel when they add wonder woman flash and green lantern into the mix.
Another thing that has seemed to work out for WB is the announcement of ben affleck as batman. Now majority(including myself) may not have liked it but Bad press is still press. That announcement in itself was marketing. The awareness for this movie is insane. People know it being made and that is what you as a movie making business.
Even people who are not even interested in anything superhero related commented on Ben Affleck being cast as Batman(albeit not very positively). Any press is good press and all eyes are on this film at the moment.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #100
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleweasel View Post
I feel like everyone thought IM3 would do numbers
If you look at the increase of IM to IM2, even with the Avengers boost... IM3 is still an outlier.

IM- 585 M
IM2- 623 M
IM3- 1.215 B

There's no trend. With the Avengers hype still in the air it'd make sense for it to clear 750-800M, maybe make it to 1B if things went well. However, it exploded, over preforming by a long shot.

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat