The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Who needs the most Exposure/Focus from this? Superman or Batman?
Henry's Superman 32 61.54%
Ben's Batman 2 3.85%
Both should get EQUAL amount of Exposure and Focus 16 30.77%
I Don't Know 2 3.85%
Other- (Fill in the Blank) 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #26
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: Who needs the most Exposure/Focus from this? Superman or Batman?

The movie needs to focus on Superman.

1. Batman needs to be an urban legend which adds credence to Superman being the first superhero. Batman put on the costume first but the public see Superman as the first hero.

2. Batman will have his own movie. So flesh out the Batman character there.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
blumatic
Side-Kick

Everything WB says, means they want a 4th Batman film.

Everything Snyder and Goyer did in MOS leans towards Superman needing an immediate film to finish his arc.

Dont know what kind of movie we're getting.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Superman. Superman Superman Superman Superman Superman. It cannot be said, stressed, emphasized enough times.

Batman just had a successful trilogy of his own. I understand this is to be a new interpretation of the character, but being that he's co-starring in a sequel to a Superman film, I think it's important that they don't use this movie to fully relaunch the character in the same way a standalone origin film would. Batman needs to be a supporting character to Superman. The fact that there are still so many Superman-centric questions and characters to address post-"Man Of Steel" leaves very little room to adequately explore this new Batman. Therefore, use him only as much as is necessary to the main plot, which ideally focuses on Superman.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
Vid Electricz
Banned User

The title of this thread poses the exact problem with this "crossover"/team up/ whatever.

It's a Superman sequel, and the character needs to be properly developed-given time and space to change/learn/grow (as all titular characters must).

But then a brand new Batman taking up that time space-who also requires time/space/introduction, etc... (as it is a brand new character as far as we're concerned).

Crowding both of these "new" characters into the same movie at such an early juncture is going to shortchange the characters and cheat the audience...

*Snydervoice*But at least we'll get to see some kicka$$ Batman versus Superman action!!! *Snydervoice*

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #30
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
If TDK shows us anything, you could be the main focus of a film and still have the supporting character steal the spotlight.

There is a good chance that this film will have Superman as the lead, but Batman ends up stealing the show.

Which would be a first for Cinematic Batman.
Exactly the direction I think they'll be going with this. Supes will be challenged on two fronts - by Bruce publically, by batman privately. But it will most probably e told with Clark being the main protagonist.

Last edited by TheBat812; 09-12-2013 at 12:21 PM.
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #31
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
Superman. Superman Superman Superman Superman Superman. It cannot be said, stressed, emphasized enough times.

Batman just had a successful trilogy of his own. I understand this is to be a new interpretation of the character, but being that he's co-starring in a sequel to a Superman film, I think it's important that they don't use this movie to fully relaunch the character in the same way a standalone origin film would. Batman needs to be a supporting character to Superman. The fact that there are still so many Superman-centric questions and characters to address post-"Man Of Steel" leaves very little room to adequately explore this new Batman. Therefore, use him only as much as is necessary to the main plot, which ideally focuses on Superman.
The only problem is that Batman in NOT a supporting character. If he had already had one solo movie, then there would be no problem with a Batman/Superman movie, but since they're choosing to introduce a brand new character (which is what this Batman is) in a brand new universe, he's going to be shortchanged...or Superman will be. Someone will be.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
If TDK shows us anything, you could be the main focus of a film and still have the supporting character steal the spotlight.

There is a good chance that this film will have Superman as the lead, but Batman ends up stealing the show.

Which would be a first for Cinematic Batman.

Yes, villains often do steal the show in Superhero/Action adventure movies.

Batman is not and should not be treated as a "supporting character". Ugh.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

They both need equal exposure and focus. Superman because Man of Steel did not complete his origin and Batman because he is being introduced to the audience.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #34
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Not sure they both need equal exposure. People are acting like this is a standalone film and this is all we'll be getting when in reality, more movies will continue after this. The Bat will get his own solo film and Superman will continue his solo franchise to probably introduce more characters to the eventual Justice League and Justice League 2.

I still believe we will see more of Bruce Wayne in this movie more than we will Batman and more of Batman will kick off his new rebooted franchise with Superman well established. It makes the most sense. You can't continue Superman in his world with having equal focus in one movie. I believe Superman and his cast will be the focus with more of Bruce Wayne and snippets of Batman until the big reveal and showdown between Supes and Bats that leads into partnership, which in turn, will lead into whatever it will lead into for the bigger teammup event.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #35
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
The only problem is that Batman in NOT a supporting character. If he had already had one solo movie, then there would be no problem with a Batman/Superman movie, but since they're choosing to introduce a brand new character (which is what this Batman is) in a brand new universe, he's going to be shortchanged...or Superman will be. Someone will be.
Then the choice is easy. Shortchange Batman. Unless this version is going to wildly change elements of his origin, people don't need to go through the basics again this early. People get the basics, and, in my opinion, the basics are all you need for a movie like this. Save the exploration of the finer details for later films.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #36
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Then the choice is easy. Shortchange Batman. Unless this version is going to wildly change elements of his origin, people don't need to go through the basics again this early. People get the basics, and, in my opinion, the basics are all you need for a movie like this. Save the exploration of the finer details for later films.
Agreed

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm a DIE hard Batman fan. I'm LOOKING forward to the reboot. I feel like there has yet to be a definitive live action Batman from the pages, and am eagerly awaiting to see Zack Snyder's Batman.

AND I AGREE with you guys. Batman can be a minor supporting character in the film's narrative.

Underexposing Batman allows for more of a sense of mystery that can be somewhat fleshed out for a stand alone BATMAN movie.

Splitting up the narrative takes away the focus from Clark. Also, a HUGE risk is that audiences will sympathize with Bruce more (and that's because of preconceptions, I think). People preconceive Batman as reckless and morally grey while Superman is supposed to be absolutely perfect-and then they complain that he isn't relatable.

Also, Batman's at the height of his popularity right now. By making Batman prominent once again, many audiences members will probably say "too soon" and not be as interested.

But make Batman a weird stranger in Metropolis, and keep him strange and mysterious, and one can stir up intrigue. But Superman has limited time to develop before the execs say, "team-ups" or "Batman" only :/

Also, having Affleck JUST play Batman would ease all the tension of people who thought he couldn't pull it off, while buying more time for him to play both roles in a solo installment. I think once the GA/skeptics can be sold on him as Batman, they'll invest in wanting to see him play Wayne.

But once he plays Wayne in Superman/Batman, he'll have to play both roles in an almost equal manner just to be thought of as a good Batman (I think Bale's a better Bruce than Bats, but I feel like most of the viewing audience outside the fandom doesn't agree).

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #38
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Regardless of whether or not a JL movie is happening, it is important to BUILD a cinematic franchise for SUPERMAN again. Batman has had his day in the sun for now. WE NEED A SUPERMAN. Ben's Batman should be a supporting character and buildup for a JL movie. Nothing more!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #39
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Let Bruce Wayne be the Phil Coulsen of the DCverse :P

Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
blumatic
Side-Kick

No matter how far WB wants to separate this Batman from Nolan, they can't. There is no point in fully developing Batman. I can understand developing Batman as to how he fits in the story like Catwoman in TDKR. Catwoman didnt need a full background story.

Batman should play the same role.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #41
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ They can separate THIS Batman from Nolan. But they cannot separate the prestige of Nolan, rabid BaleorBust folks, or the people who are tired of reboots/sequels.

But making Batman a minor character is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
No matter how far WB wants to separate this Batman from Nolan, they can't. There is no point in fully developing Batman. I can understand developing Batman as to how he fits in the story like Catwoman in TDKR. Catwoman didnt need a full background story.

Batman should play the same role.
I agree. Still, Regardless of whether or not a JL movie is happening, it is important to BUILD a cinematic franchise for SUPERMAN again. Batman has had his day in the sun for now. WE NEED A SUPERMAN. Ben's Batman should be a supporting character and buildup for a JL movie. Nothing more!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #43
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
I'm a DIE hard Batman fan. I'm LOOKING forward to the reboot. I feel like there has yet to be a definitive live action Batman from the pages, and am eagerly awaiting to see Zack Snyder's Batman.

AND I AGREE with you guys. Batman can be a minor supporting character in the film's narrative.

Underexposing Batman allows for more of a sense of mystery that can be somewhat fleshed out for a stand alone BATMAN movie.

Splitting up the narrative takes away the focus from Clark. Also, a HUGE risk is that audiences will sympathize with Bruce more (and that's because of preconceptions, I think). People preconceive Batman as reckless and morally grey while Superman is supposed to be absolutely perfect-and then they complain that he isn't relatable.

Also, Batman's at the height of his popularity right now. By making Batman prominent once again, many audiences members will probably say "too soon" and not be as interested.

But make Batman a weird stranger in Metropolis, and keep him strange and mysterious, and one can stir up intrigue. But Superman has limited time to develop before the execs say, "team-ups" or "Batman" only :/

Also, having Affleck JUST play Batman would ease all the tension of people who thought he couldn't pull it off, while buying more time for him to play both roles in a solo installment. I think once the GA/skeptics can be sold on him as Batman, they'll invest in wanting to see him play Wayne.

But once he plays Wayne in Superman/Batman, he'll have to play both roles in an almost equal manner just to be thought of as a good Batman (I think Bale's a better Bruce than Bats, but I feel like most of the viewing audience outside the fandom doesn't agree).
Yes. Lots of yes.

Though I think it's a guarantee that we'll see him as Bruce Wayne and as Batman.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #44
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

To me, for this film only, the less scenes of Wayne, the better. I guarantee you, even if he does a good job, that most of the audience will say internally "oh, hi Ben Affleck."

But if he's shown more as Batman, then the audience doesn't have to suspend any type of plausibility of sorts. They can just see him as the character.

They can show more Wayne in the sequel. But having Wayne be a prominent character in here risks throwing the audiences' response to him off (He's a good Batman, but a P!ZZ poor Wayne. Where's Bale when you need him?)

I don't think that is fair for Affleck (he's getting enough flack as it is), and less screentime for Bruce means more time for Clark/Lois/Metropolis/ the international response to Superman

Again, I think he will nail "playboy Bruce" and I think he will also be a pretty solid "broody Bruce."

But also Bale created a certain expectation for the Bruce Wayne character. The audiences haven't bonded to this version of Wayne, and I don't think they'll do so easily, especially when they see Ben's face in the role. Something he can't help, unless he grows a mustache to throw the appearance off :P

Having an awesome BATMAN can create interest in his alter ego. But the other way around, I think isn't, as effective.

So yeah, I'd have one to 2 scenes with Bruce, and MAYBE 3 scenes with Batman in the film

I'd rather see him as an effective minor character, then one that eats up the film and character development of Clark/Lois/Perry.

Last edited by TheFlamingCoco; 09-12-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #45
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
...even if he does a good job, that most of the audience will say internally "oh, hi Ben Affleck."
Oh, hi Batman. Oh, hi, Gotham. Oh, hiii, Superman. Oh, hi, Alfred. Oh, hi Kryptonite.

You are tearing me A-PART, Lois!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #46
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
*Snydervoice*But at least we'll get to see some kicka$$ Batman versus Superman action!!! *Snydervoice*
You forgot an "Awesome" somewhere in there.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #47
D.P.
Banned User

Superman needs it, but Batman will get it.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #48
Dk1201
Side-Kick

Batman because I am a batman fan

Dk1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #49
Silvermoth
Avenger

They should try and get it as equal as possible but I think batman is one of those cool characters who like Thor in the avengers or wolverine in joss Whedon's astonishing xmen run, can actually benefit with just a dollop here and there rather than constantly dominating the screen

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #50
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, hi Batman. Oh, hi, Gotham. Oh, hiii, Superman. Oh, hi, Alfred. Oh, hi Kryptonite.

You are tearing me A-PART, Lois!

Oh hai doggy!