The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Default BvS Rottentomatoes score - how important will it be, and what do you hope for?

So what kind of score do you think BvS needs in order to keep good word of mouth for Justice League and future DC superhero films?

I think minimum goal really has to be 80% or above.

Furious 7 is hanging at 82% after all

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Obviously we have seen some good films with bad scores and the same in reverse, this isn't debating whether it can be a good film with bad score.

I think it will matter some in terms of momentum for the DCMU.

"Superman Returns: I'm in awe of it. I watch it every now and then just to make sure I didn't dream up some of it while I was passed out drunk." Rocketman
BatmanVSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Default Re: BvS Rottentomatoes score - how important will it be, and what do you hope for?

I hope that whatever happens, it doesn't bring about pandemonium here. I naively lurked during the MOS "Tomatoegate" and never want to repeat that experience. If it does well, let us all rejoice in a sane, non-gloaty manner. If it does poorly, let us all step away from the ledge.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #3
InJustice
Side-Kick

Default Re: BvS Rottentomatoes score - how important will it be, and what do you hope for?

All I hope for is a decent score for everyone's sake. Last time I made an account after being hyped from watching the last youtube trailer of Man of Steel, and I never want to see the meltdown happen again.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Rotten Tomatoes can pi** off. I could not care less for RT ratings and absolutely hate how much attention people give them.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - the tenth Doctor
KillerMcQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #5
Great1
Side-Kick

I think it might be a little too early for this thread.

Great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great1 View Post
It will always be too early for this thread, maybe a few months after the film comes out would be a good time for it, that way we've actually seen the film and don't let a number created by a weird-a** system for measuring critic reviews have any impact on the lead up to the film.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - the tenth Doctor
Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKent26 View Post
I hope that whatever happens, it doesn't bring about pandemonium here. I naively lurked during the MOS "Tomatoegate" and never want to repeat that experience. If it does well, let us all rejoice in a sane, non-gloaty manner. If it does poorly, let us all step away from the ledge.
I never knew if MOS legitimately got a low ball score and if there was some bias against Superman/DC, or if it was just the allegiance we have as fans to our favorite superhero (feeling slighted).

It did seem to me that if it were a Marvel film, with everything being the same it would have had a higher score. My gut tells me that. Even Thor: TDW got a better score, and I really truly felt it was inferior to MOS.

"Superman Returns: I'm in awe of it. I watch it every now and then just to make sure I didn't dream up some of it while I was passed out drunk." Rocketman
Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
rockandrollsoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanVSuperman View Post
So what kind of score do you think BvS needs in order to keep good word of mouth for Justice League and future DC superhero films?

I think minimum goal really has to be 80% or above.

Furious 7 is hanging at 82% after all

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Obviously we have seen some good films with bad scores and the same in reverse, this isn't debating whether it can be a good film with bad score.

I think it will matter some in terms of momentum for the DCMU.
For starters, I don't think Furious 7 deserves anywhere near that score.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
All I hope for is a decent score for everyone's sake. Last time I made an account after being hyped from watching the last youtube trailer of Man of Steel, and I never want to see the meltdown happen again.
Wow, was it really that crazy?

rockandrollsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #9
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrollsoul View Post
It was downright idiotic. People placed way too much importance and attention on RT numbers, literally follwing the percent change every single review caused in the score.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great1 View Post
Not really. I thought about that before making the thread.

It's really questioning whether RT is important and useful as an indicator. It also is questioning what the minimum need is for a score (if you feel RT has merit with momentum at all).

Old 04-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #11
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Quote:
For starters, I don't think Furious 7 deserves anywhere near that score.
There are people who feel MOS doesn't deserve the 55% it has.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
rockandrollsoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
I never knew if MOS legitimately got a low ball score and if there was some bias against Superman/DC, or if it was just the allegiance we have as fans to our favorite superhero (feeling slighted).

It did seem to me that if it were a Marvel film, with everything being the same it would have had a higher score. My gut tells me that. Even Thor: TDW got a better score, and I really truly felt it was inferior to MOS.
This in and of itself proves how pointless it is.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Quote:
This in and of itself proves how pointless it is.
I don't know. There is all that question of "Is it my bias as a DC fan?" or did MOS comparatively get hosed?

Old 04-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #14
rockandrollsoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
There are people who feel MOS doesn't deserve the 55% it has.
I definitely feel MoS is a better film than Furious 7. I think there really is something to the notion that if a movie is "fun", critics and audiences alike will overlook the blatant flaws.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #15
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:

There has been much debate about this and to be honest, I do feel some bias against DC/Snyder. I find that people expect more from DC post-Nolan. DC movies are generally more ambitious or less safe. They're more like dramas (or they try to be) and sell themselves as deep/meaningful event films. Critics are naturally going to be harder on something like that than a fun ride of a movie that aspires to be little more than that (like Thor:TDW). I suppose the higher you climb, the farther you fall when you slip up.

Also, Synder's films aren't subtle. They're "in your face." He's experienced critic backlash before (thinking about Sucker Punch, which was deserved backlash) and such a history would no doubt raise the ire.

So, I guess I agree with the conspiracy theorists to some extent. But...that's only a small portion of it. I do think the bulk of it is legit criticisms regarding some obvious and important film-making components like script, pacing, character development that Snyder/Goyer just didn't grasp.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #16
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:

Yes. Gird thy loins next April, Sir.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #17
rockandrollsoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know. There is all that question of "Is it my bias as a DC fan?" or did MOS comparatively get hosed?
Well, prior to MoS, I was definitely not a Superman fan and I acknowledge that it's pretty flawed, so I don't think a bias factors in for me. I just think it's a better movie than it gets credit for.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 AM   #18
rockandrollsoul
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ugh.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #19
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
I am really dreading the inevitable RT/critics thread. Opinions from people who took too many "critiquing film" classes aren't my cup of tea. If the film doesn't do absolutely fantastically on RT the people here will practically eat each other alive.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #20
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
I am really dreading the inevitable RT/critics thread. Opinions from people who took too many "critiquing film" classes aren't my cup of tea. If the film doesn't do absolutely fantastically on RT the people here will practically eat each other alive.
I'm not that fond of critics either. A few of them seem to be more concerned with being funny (or snide) than being fair to the point of obnoxiousness and blatant disrespect of a work. I figure that if someone is going to put their opinion out there as a official review that is counted on a site like RT, they should be polite at least. They can have a opinion and still be respectful.

I'm even less fond of crazy Chicken Little-esque responses to even the more reasonable critics. If such an eventuality comes to pass, I may be absentee for a few days.

\S/T*
Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #21
BravoNolanILuvU
I ♥U2 Snyder

Old 04-23-2015, 12:43 AM   #22
m4st4
Bat-Boy 1987

I hope for 80% at least, for once, when it comes to Snyder. Not that rotten score translates well into my own, I like his movies, but it'd be nice to see something like that.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:46 AM   #23
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Superman Returns got a 76%... some food for thought.

lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #24
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Can I just say Rotten tomatoes is full of crap. No-one should let this site have any influence on their viewing of a movie and forming their own opinion. Watch the movie before reading reviews. If it's a movie you want to see... Go See It... without watching it through someone else's eyes.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #25
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

In the age of the internet, I don't think that's a realistic expectation.

lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote