The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Kryptonian language return in Superman/Batman? Amazon's new language in this one?

We had some great kryptonian language in MOS. but only to read it, not speaking in the movie cause in the extras we know that Lex Corp and Star Labs decoded some of the kryptonian and we sort of listen a few lines. Do you think we'll see Kal-el speaking a few words in Kryptonian in maybe a some sort of conference?

Also Do you think we'll see the amazons speaking a new language in this movie or in this DCCU?

John-An is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #2
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

Default Re: Kryptonian language return in Superman/Batman? Amazon's new language in this one?

i have no idea. i don't think the amazons will speak anything other than english.

ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Kryptonian language return in Superman/Batman? Amazon's new language in this one?

Actually seeing the language would be nice. They made such a big deal about it in interviews. If you hadn't seen them, you'd never know those squiggles on the walls were of any importance or even a language altogether.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Actually seeing the language would be nice. They made such a big deal about it in interviews. If you hadn't seen them, you'd never know those squiggles on the walls were of any importance or even a language altogether.
I'm not sure how much time they devoted to it, but that was a waste. I do remember them bringing it up several times, even hyping up the fact it was actually a coherent language which could be spoken and written.

But when 99% of the audience misses it, it has no value. Hopefully they don't muck about with time and resources like that again.

Jekecy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I only saw the movie once, and I didn't even notice it.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

If the Amazon's speak any language other than English, I think the most likely candidate would be Greek.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
juggle
Side-Kick

Angry Re: Kryptonian language return in Superman/Batman? Amazon's new language in this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
If the Amazon's speak any language other than English, I think the most likely candidate would be Greek.
Damn, I stopped learning Greek a few months ago.

σκατα

juggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I'm not sure how much time they devoted to it, but that was a waste. I do remember them bringing it up several times, even hyping up the fact it was actually a coherent language which could be spoken and written.

But when 99% of the audience misses it, it has no value. Hopefully they don't muck about with time and resources like that again.
It was really a shame. To be honest with you, that was my biggest issue with the movie, the English speaking aliens. Same as with Thor, and all these other movies. The vampires in Blade have their own language, but aliens from who knows where speak English? It seems arrogant. I know the whole movie magic thing obviously and have heard all possible explanations for it, like "oh maybe they learned it, blah blah blah". We all know why they decided to do it in English and I didn't like that at all. If it were just a popularity thing, then they should have spoken Mandarin. If they didn't worry about aliens speaking it in the actual movie, then just leave the languages alone at this point.

Last edited by Superman_200; 04-13-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
bluerayer
Swamp Thing 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggle View Post
Damn, I stopped learning Greek a few months ago.

σκατα
επιδεικνύω

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=270244
bluerayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Agreed

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
franchise646
Side-Kick

I know I'm new, but I don't think any of the amazon should be native English speakers or sound American. They are all Greek for the most part, I have always found it weird that Wonder Woman has spent her who life somewhere else but she always sounds like she grew up down the block.

franchise646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #12
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

This is who came up with the language for MOS...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Always thought this was pretty cool...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 04-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
This is who came up with the language for MOS...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Always thought this was pretty cool...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That is a shame, all that work for what? To use English for aliens, yet again.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
That is a shame, all that work for what? To use English for aliens, yet again.
Yep. I remember one interview during production where they said the history of Krypton was told on the walls. I thought we'd get some scene with it or something.

But, in the end, it's a waste of time, energy, and money.

"

Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
dnno1
Side-Kick

It seems like this should go in here:

http://kryptonian.info/about/news-fe...th-kryptonian/

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

It would be a waste of resources.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

That link leads to some interesting stuff...

Interview with Man of Steel Linguist Christine Schreyer

Man of Steel Kryptonian Writing System

Schreyer's website

"

Old 04-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I hate it that we never actually hear the Kryptonians SPEAK their language. Wasted opportunity on the part of the filmmakers.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #19
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I hate it that we never actually hear the Kryptonians SPEAK their language. Wasted opportunity on the part of the filmmakers.

Yeah would've been awesome. Maybe if we ever get Kara we'll hear her speak it.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only logical choice.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #21
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

If we see Diana communicating with another Amazon in this film, I would hope we'd get a few lines in what ever is chosen to be the Amazon mother tongue.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 AM   #22
Hulk-1700
Occasional Hero

I don't think it's really necessary, tbh. Maybe some small mention of it would suffice but nothing too major.

Hulk-1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #23
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

I think they missed an opportunity in MoS to feature a spoken Kryptonian language. They were going for that authentic believable feel and for the most part they got that right. But it would have been so cool to actually see the Kryptonians speaking another language.

Zod's ship obviously had translation capabilities so it makes sense that they're speaking english on Earth, but I'd have loved to have seen the native tongue explored on Krypton. Though I doubt any studio would have the balls to make the first 20 minutes of a Superhero film in subtitles.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #24
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
I think they missed an opportunity in MoS to feature a spoken Kryptonian language. They were going for that authentic believable feel and for the most part they got that right. But it would have been so cool to actually see the Kryptonians speaking another language.

Zod's ship obviously had translation capabilities so it makes sense that they're speaking english on Earth, but I'd have loved to have seen the native tongue explored on Krypton. Though I doubt any studio would have the balls to make the first 20 minutes of a Superhero film in subtitles.
I think Snyder/Nolan probably meant to use it but maybe some executives said no to that since the formula that Thor and those other movies used is the American English speaking aliens/gods, etc. so they thought they needed to stick to the formula to make it work.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #25
Psycho_Sith
Resident Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
I think Snyder/Nolan probably meant to use it but maybe some executives said no to that since the formula that Thor and those other movies used is the American English speaking aliens/gods, etc. so they thought they needed to stick to the formula to make it work.
Kind of like all German officers in WWII movies speaking english with quasi-British accents.