The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins change their name and/or mascot?
Yes, change the team name and mascot 28 38.89%
No, don't change anything 31 43.06%
Change the name, but not the mascot 11 15.28%
Change the mascot, but not the name 0 0%
Other 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Default Re: Should the Washington Redskins change their mascot?

Yep, it is messed up. Redskin truly is an offensive name. The only reason why this is belittled is because Native Americans are such a proportionally smaller ethnic group. I don't know enough Native Americans to know how many of them don't care about the name, though I could assume more would be offended versus not caring.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I understand why some tribes are offended. It's not like you could get away with calling a team ”the white skins”, the ”black skins” or the ”yellow skins”.

If they changed the name I'd still support the team but you have to wonder how many fans would abandon ship feeling somehow betrayed.

Keeping the Redskin name is probably a basic business decision.

The owner should consider it though. Who knows? Maybe the right name would broaden the fanbase.

I like the name ”the tribesmen”, myself.
If a famous professional winning team was called "The Nebraska Negroes", would you be support keeping the name?

Redskins only started being competitive with RG3...

Not a fan, so I'm ok with screwing with the franchise.

SentinelMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

I never understood why people took "Redskins" to mean the color of Native American skin. I'm not sure when this became the racial way to denote Native Americans....but Red in the eyes of Native Americans war paint depicted: war, blood, strength, energy, power. They wore it to intimidate their opponent.

As far as the Cleveland Indian mascot...that is disrespectful. It's like a white man to "black face" comedy, IMO.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
SentinelMind
Banned User

Change it to something more respectful like the Washington Pelicans or...more applicable like Washington Parisites or something.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
Change it to something more respectful like the Washington Pelicans or...more applicable like Washington Parisites or something.
How are Washingtonians parasites?

They pay taxes without representation. If anything they are the opposite of parasites.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

I was wondering the same thing....

Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
If a famous professional winning team was called "The Nebraska Negroes", would you be support keeping the name?

Redskins only started being competitive with RG3...

Not a fan, so I'm ok with screwing with the franchise.
The Redskins have won 3 superbowls. Many teams have yet to win 2.

I wouldn't be opposed to calling a team "the negroes" or the "black skins" as long as there is a sizable and loyal fanbase rooting for them every week.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
At least he's happy! You should see what they have representing my heritage.

The difference being that Notre Dame was founded by and remains closely associated with Irish Catholics. They're representing their own heritage rather than making a caricature of someone else's.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Ouch

They originally were the Boston (football) Braves, so the whole American Indian thing goes back to them taking the name of the local baseball team, then altering it to being the Boston Redskins, then they moved to Washington DC.

You would think a Washington team would have a nickname that actually referenced the area like the Nationals and Capitols do and the Senators did. Neither the Redskins, Bullets or Wizards names make much sense, to be honest.

Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #35
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
They originally were the Boston (football) Braves, so the whole American Indian thing goes back to them taking the name of the local baseball team, then altering it to being the Boston Redskins, then they moved to Washington DC.

You would think a Washington team would have a nickname that actually referenced the area like the Nationals and Capitols do and the Senators did. Neither the Redskins, Bullets or Wizards names make much sense, to be honest.
Alot of teams use Native Americans as a mascots.

I agree with you on "the Wizards" though. That name seems kind of random.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
SentinelMind
Banned User

Quote:

They pay taxes without representation. If anything they are the opposite of parasites.
This a political thread (why is this in politics and not sports or community?) ...Washington DC is most corrupt, centralized district in the US. DC's city budget is practically entwined with Congress's administrative budget, so to suggest they don't have "representation" is questionable...., but I guess I should not cast the corruption of lobbyists and Congressmen on the residents who live there....

Last edited by SentinelMind; 09-22-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
This a political thread (why is this in politics and not sports or community?) ...Washington DC is most corrupt, centralized district in the US. DC's city budget is practically entwined with Congress's administrative budget, so to suggest they don't have "representation" is questionable...., but I guess I should cast the corruption of lobbyists and Congressmen on the residents who live there....
Actually the people that "live" IN Washington D.C. are poor and work for those you just mentioned. Those you mentioned, DO NOT live in Washington D.C. they only work there.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #38
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
The difference being that Notre Dame was founded by and remains closely associated with Irish Catholics. They're representing their own heritage rather than making a caricature of someone else's.
Notre Dame was founded by French Catholics, not Irish Catholics. Although Irish Catholics were involved later.

The Redskins were, in theory, named after their head coach of the time who was supposedly Sioux. Whether he actually was or just claimed he was is very much in dispute until this day.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 09-22-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #39
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

The parasites are the politicians sent to Washington by the fifty states that actually have voting representation in Congress.

On topic, I have thought that the Redskins should change their name since I was about 5 and my grandmother, who was a member of the Delaware tribe, told me that it was offensive to her because it was used as a slur against her family when she was young. My dad's side of the family are also Native Americans. Even though I have always been a fan of the team and lived in the DC suburbs most of my life, the name is offensive and needs to go.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I never understood why people took "Redskins" to mean the color of Native American skin. I'm not sure when this became the racial way to denote Native Americans....but Red in the eyes of Native Americans war paint depicted: war, blood, strength, energy, power. They wore it to intimidate their opponent.

As far as the Cleveland Indian mascot...that is disrespectful. It's like a white man to "black face" comedy, IMO.
I always thought redskin was derogatory because the name represents when the white men scalped them.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #41
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Because their skin is redder?

In some African cultures, white people are actually called "red" (or their language's word for red). Which makes sense if you're not used to calling white people "white".

It's strange how this terminology has evolved, since red used to be fairly inoffensive (long, long ago), while "black" was considered almost as bad as using the "n-word".

Last edited by Thundercrack85; 09-22-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #42
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

I don't think the name should be changed (nor is it ever likely to be).

I wouldn't care if a team were called "The Palefaces".There are certainly better things to be concerned about.

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #43
Cosmic
Theosophist

For the offended parties, this is a very important issue to be concerned about, because it's about dignity and respect. For those of us who aren't included in the offended parties, I think the way we respond to their complaints matters, because it shows how much we respect them, and respect their desire to be treated with the same level of dignity as everyone else. Whether we listen to their voices, or ignore them, or outright dismiss them, says something about the content of our character.

Last edited by Cosmic; 09-24-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: added last bit.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #44
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

^It's a slipper slope to say the least. Honestly, since clearly there are some members of an ethnic group that feel offended, it speaks volumes when their opinion is belittled because of the size of said ethnic group.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

The problem is there isn't much evidence of this widespread outrage over the name and the voices protesting to keep the name are much louder. Like it or not, the Redskins name is a source of pride for the city of Washington and fans of the team. Meanwhile, the recent high profile (it was all over the sports news for about a week prior) gathering to protest the name only managed two dozen people. Jacksonville got the same turnout for a sign Tim Tebow rally the week after, and you don't see that happening either.

Until the protests against get larger to the point where it starts to outweigh the defenders, nothing will be done. The Redskins can't piss off their entire fan base without good reason, and a handful of protests isn't good enough. Dan Snyder isn't going to pay attention to a protest of 24 people. A hundred thousand people, maybe.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #46
Cosmic
Theosophist

Riley Cooper's racist rant at a Kenny Chesney concert didn't exactly spark widespread outrage, either, yet the NFL commissioner came out after that and made a strong public statement denouncing bigotry. All the Oneidas are asking in the complaint is for Goodell to apply the same standard to the Redskins, which they consider a racial slur.

Either way, though I agree that the team name won't change anytime soon, I don't think it matters that there isn't widespread outrage over this. What matters is doing the right thing. Someday, new owners will come along, and the team name and mascot will change. Fans will get over it, as long as they get something good to replace it, and most people will wonder why it was even allowed to go on like this for so long.

Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #47
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

This reminds me of an episode of Arli$$

Tanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #48
Kelly
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
For the offended parties, this is a very important issue to be concerned about, because it's about dignity and respect. For those of us who aren't included in the offended parties, I think the way we respond to their complaints matters, because it shows how much we respect them, and respect their desire to be treated with the same level of dignity as everyone else. Whether we listen to their voices, or ignore them, or outright dismiss them, says something about the content of our character.
I have Cherokee ancestry....my great, great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. My issue is with cartoonish mascots like that of the Cleveland Indians. Having a warrior in his full on war paint (which is actually where the term "redskin" came from...not the fact that their skin tone is actually red (head shaker) is to show a warrior status. I don't have a problem with that...but then again, I didn't grow up as a Native American, but my ancestry (Quakers) fought for their rights, walked with them to Oklahoma on the "Trail of Tears" refusing to ride in the wagons beside them, but me personally of course did not go through any of that, so I'm sure my perspective is different.

My college Midwestern State University when I went there were the Indians, and a few years ago they changed the mascot to the Mustangs...so it can be done, but not sure at the NFL level....unless they are sold, then they can do what the Oilers did...

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #49
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Either way, though I agree that the team name won't change anytime soon, I don't think it matters that there isn't widespread outrage over this. What matters is doing the right thing. Someday, new owners will come along, and the team name and mascot will change. Fans will get over it, as long as they get something good to replace it, and most people will wonder why it was even allowed to go on like this for so long.
That will take forever though. Snyder is not an old man and he's one of the richest owners in the NFL. He isn't going away. So even if the very next owner decides to make a change (and who knows if they would), that's probably decades off. I'm sure the people protesting the Redskins name would like to see it changed in their lifetimes, and not some indeterminate point far off in the future.

The other option to get it done quickly, which I didn't mention, is to turn the important media outlets (Washington Post, Fox, ESPN, etc.) against the Redskins to the point where Snyder can no longer ignore it. But it comes back to the same basic thing, if something is to be done about it soon the protests need to be a lot larger than they are.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #50
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Nothing new. This pops up every few years.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote