The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins change their name and/or mascot?
Yes, change the team name and mascot 28 38.89%
No, don't change anything 31 43.06%
Change the name, but not the mascot 11 15.28%
Change the mascot, but not the name 0 0%
Other 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #51
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Default Re: Should the Washington Redskins change their mascot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk View Post
Change the name. There are others teams that reference American Indian cultures without using racial slurs; I'm sure they can find an alternative, or just go with something completely different. The owner is a moron, but the blame is really with the fans at this point. If they wanted the change, it would happen.
I don't really follow exactly how the owner is a moron. He didn't name the team. And changing the name would upset his fan base.

I agree the name isn't great, but no, he's not a moron.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
At least he's happy! You should see what they have representing my heritage.

Agreed! LOL

Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #53
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

This has always amused me. They were Atlanta's minor league team before the Braves moved here.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #54
Cosmic
Theosophist

I think it's different this time. This story is not going away. There are new articles about this every day in the news. When asked for his opinion on this a couple of days ago, President Obama said he's consider changing it if he were the owner. The NFL Commissioner actually softened his stance on this. Some prominent sports writers refuse to use the Redskins name in their commentary. The Oneida Nation held a "Change the Name" symposium in Georgetown on Monday. The more this issue gets played in the media, the more people will think about it and realize that they have a valid complaint on this.

Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #55
regwec
Shakespearo

For me, this is a "no". Though every effort should be made to respect the sensitivities of minorities, the less enlightened views of the past shouldn't be excorcised from the collective memory. That would increase the risk of such views recurring. Better to have the symbolism retained, but with the panacea of post modernist irony.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #56
Cosmic
Theosophist

What? Nobody is asking for the Redskins brand to be completely erased from the annals of history. They want the franchise to change their name from this point forward.

Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #57
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side

I think Redskins is a pretty ****ed up name, but I used to do the tomahawk chop at Braves games as a kid, so what do I know?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #58
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

^Racist.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #59
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

None of this sounds logical at all to me.

First, a racist would never name their team after a group they looked down on. These teams are always named after something which is seen as impressive, powerful, or admirable. The Cowboys weren't named that because they wanted to make fun of cowboys. There is a reason why there are so many sports teams named after American Indians...because that race is admired. (Take a poll of your friends sometime and see how many of them claim to have American Indian ancestry...I've done it...it's hilarious...it's usually about 75%...people with blonde hair and blues eyes do it too.) Get rid of all the names in sports that are named after American Indians and see what effect that has. Then some will actually notice it was a compliment.

Second, I never get why anyone allows themselves to be "offended". It's self inflicted. There is nothing inherently offensive about a word. "Redskins" isn't any more accurate than "white people". (What is "white" about Caucasian skin?) It's like getting mad in traffic...you did it to yourself. The person who made you mad won that one...you lose because you let it bother you. "Yankees" is an insult in the South...bet it doesn't bother anyone from the Northeast. It's all in your head. "Redskins" was just a term used to describe a group of people. Yes, some people who used it hated that group. But also true that some people who used it did not hate that group. Back to point #1....they didn't name the team "Redskins" because they wanted to mock American Indians or because they thought they were inferior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
At least he's happy! You should see what they have representing my heritage.

Telling to me that the image of a drunken Irish brawler is ok and is even defended. How quickly we forget how the Irish were treated not that long ago. "Fighting Irish" stems from the negative stereotype of Irish people as angry alcoholic beings. "Don't get your Irish up" was a common saying. (Calm down)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
For the offended parties, this is a very important issue to be concerned about, because it's about dignity and respect. For those of us who aren't included in the offended parties, I think the way we respond to their complaints matters, because it shows how much we respect them, and respect their desire to be treated with the same level of dignity as everyone else. Whether we listen to their voices, or ignore them, or outright dismiss them, says something about the content of our character.
...Unless they are Irish.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #60
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

New poll says most Redskin fans wouldn't be bothered by a name change:

http://nation.time.com/2013/10/16/po...t-bother-fans/

Old 10-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #61
moviedoors
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=JeetKuneDo;27010519]
Second, I never get why anyone allows themselves to be "offended". It's self inflicted. [QUOTE]

Blame the victim....

Last edited by moviedoors; 10-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.
moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #62
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Why not just the Washington Reds?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #63
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

I'm tired of this PC crap. I will say this. If you want the name change, come up with a kick ass name and logo and uniforms. I've seen some fan made ones on Yahoo last week that were cool. Washington Rebels sounds nice. Rebels vs Cowboys.

wipe out the Rebel scum, Cowboys.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #64
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I'm tired of this PC crap. I will say this. If you want the name change, come up with a kick ass name and logo and uniforms. I've seen some fan made ones on Yahoo last week that were cool. Washington Rebels sounds nice. Rebels vs Cowboys.

wipe out the Rebel scum, Cowboys.
Something something screen pass, something something complete.

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #65
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Something something screen pass, something something complete.
Which is better IMO, than the Mike Martz Playbook which is: pass, pass, pass, deep pass, screen pass, pass, pass, pass, shovel pass, pass, run, pass, pass.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #66
rebel-master
Newbie First Class

I liken this situation to the word "*****". Except hardly no one says anything about that. I cannot think of any other race that disses themselves in such a manner.

This should not be a controversy when there are those who perfectly fine with exceptions to allow racism.

rebel-master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #67
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel-master View Post
I liken this situation to the word "*****". Except hardly no one says anything about that. I cannot think of any other race that disses themselves in such a manner.

This should not be a controversy when there are those who perfectly fine with exceptions to allow racism.
So blacks don't have the right to take ownership of a word intended to destroy them and use it in a context of a shared experience/challenge.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 10-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #68
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

If a bald person called another bald person "baldy" are they insulting each other or bonding over a shared experience/struggle?

Think before you answer.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #69
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
If a bald person called another bald person "baldy" are they insulting each other or bonding over a shared experience/struggle?

Think before you answer.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #70
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

I've been a long time Redskins fan, but if it offends the people it apparently is representing, then, yes, I think it should be changed.

Change it.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #71
rebel-master
Newbie First Class

Hear that, everyone? It is considered okay to take a disparaging term and take it back and turn it into a term of endearment. Let's not limit it to just racial terms either. How about gay males refer to other gay males as ****. Maybe they already do that? After all, *** originally was a non-disparaging term. *** also meant cigarette. If some said they were gonna go smoke a *** in today's world, that may be misconstrued as doing harm to someone. Is *** still considered a bad word or is it similar to labeling someone as an idiot? Would that be frowned upon?

Is dyke offensive?
Is cracker or cracka offensive?
Is **** offensive?

There's a disparaging term out there for every group to refer to their circle as. Each circle of society should reclaim the disparaging term that was used to refer to them in a negative way and turn it into a term of endearment. These are just words, right?

That Clerks II scene would fit this thread well.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #72
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel-master View Post
Hear that, everyone? It is considered okay to take a disparaging term and take it back and turn it into a term of endearment. Let's not limit it to just racial terms either. How about gay males refer to other gay males as ****. Maybe they already do that? After all, *** originally was a non-disparaging term. *** also meant cigarette. If some said they were gonna go smoke a *** in today's world, that may be misconstrued as doing harm to someone. Is *** still considered a bad word or is it similar to labeling someone as an idiot? Would that be frowned upon?

Is dyke offensive?
Is cracker or cracka offensive?
Is **** offensive?

There's a disparaging term out there for every group to refer to their circle as. Each circle of society should reclaim the disparaging term that was used to refer to them in a negative way and turn it into a term of endearment. These are just words, right?

That Clerks II scene would fit this thread well.
Yes gays, blacks, women and even white males have the right to turn an insult into an expression of unity.

Why not?

Who are you to tell me a word directed at my group can only be used as an insult from an outside group? Are blacks no more than children who aren't allowed to decide how a word is used?

If gays want to call each other a homophobic slur, I'm not going to patronize them and tell them they don't know any better. I'm on the outside looking in. Maybe they DO know what they're doing and it's not my place to try and correct them.

BTW Clerk 2 sucks.

But I'm not surprised someone like you thinks that movie is filled with nuggets of wisdom.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #73
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

So the Washington Redskins are from Washington DC?

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #74
rebel-master
Newbie First Class

I'm not for saying who should or shouldn't use it. I was questioning it and while at the same time seeking confirmation. And I didn't say that film was good or bad, only said that a scene from it would fit well with this discussion.

You have no idea who I am. Don't refer to me as "someone like you".

Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #75
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
So the Washington Redskins are from Washington DC?
Since 1936.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote