The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins change their name and/or mascot?
Yes, change the team name and mascot 12 33.33%
No, don't change anything 20 55.56%
Change the name, but not the mascot 3 8.33%
Change the mascot, but not the name 0 0%
Other 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #76
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should the Washington Redskins change their mascot?

Technically they play in Maryland.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #77
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetKuneDo View Post
Telling to me that the image of a drunken Irish brawler is ok and is even defended. How quickly we forget how the Irish were treated not that long ago. "Fighting Irish" stems from the negative stereotype of Irish people as angry alcoholic beings. "Don't get your Irish up" was a common saying. (Calm down)
i've never defended it. if the irish want it to change, i'm all for that. now what?

Ant-manic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #78
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Quote:
Second, I never get why anyone allows themselves to be "offended". It's self inflicted.
Blame the victim....
Whether or not you are a "victim" in this case is 100% up to the individual. It is not possible to offend anyone unless they allow themselves to be offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
i've never defended it. if the irish want it to change, i'm all for that. now what?
I don't think the Irish care that much. Like I said above, it's just as "offensive" but the Irish don't allow it to be a problem....so it isn't.

If someone tries to offend you by using their vocal cords to cause a sound to issue forth and produce syllables which form what we call "words" and you get offended. ....They win. That's exactly what they wanted. Congrats, you just made yourself a "victim" and gave the "offender" exactly what they wanted.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #79
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

There's plenty that offend the Irish.

Just like any people of self-respect and dignity.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #80
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Whether or not you are a "victim" in this case is 100% up to the individual. It is not possible to offend anyone unless they allow themselves to be offended.
I don't like the way this give the offender a free pass, because it's not really their fault, right? Not if you "allowed" them to offend you. Nonsense.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #81
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
I don't like the way this give the offender a free pass, because it's not really their fault, right? Not if you "allowed" them to offend you. Nonsense.
The "Fighting Irish" is a perfect example of this in action. The Irish are not offended even though it is based on a negative stereotype...thus it is not offensive. The team name...like ALL team names...was chosen because it was seen as a positive. No team name is chosen to insult anyone. It's a compliment.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #82
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
The "Fighting Irish" is a perfect example of this in action. The Irish are not offended even though it is based on a negative stereotype...thus it is not offensive. The team name...like ALL team names...was chosen because it was seen as a positive. No team name is chosen to insult anyone. It's a compliment.
I'm not addressing team names here. I'm talking about your assertion that if someone gets offended by a slur or a bigoted phrase, then it's on them for choosing to take offense, and that is nonsense.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #83
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
I'm not addressing team names here. I'm talking about your assertion that if someone gets offended by a slur or a bigoted phrase, then it's on them for choosing to take offense, and that is nonsense.
I don't think it's nonsense at all. No one can be offended by any words unless they allow it to happen. When you do that you often hand a victory to the a-hole who was trying to offend you in the first place. Congrats on that defeat.

And in this case, there obviously was no intent to offend or insult anyone so it's even less of a problem.

The market will sort this out. If the public feels the name is a problem, it will show up in ticket and merchandise sales and a change will have to be made.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #84
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
I don't think it's nonsense at all. No one can be offended by any words unless they allow it to happen. When you do that you often hand a victory to the a-hole who was trying to offend you in the first place. Congrats on that defeat.

And in this case, there obviously was no intent to offend or insult anyone so it's even less of a problem.

The market will sort this out. If the public feels the name is a problem, it will show up in ticket and merchandise sales and a change will have to be made.
Slurs bother people not because the slur is valid but for two main reasons:

1) someone had malice intent toward you and those like you and had no problem disrespecting you and verbally attacking you

2) similar bigotry was responsible for countless misery and suffering for many like you and that suffering is not only trivialized but also supported

You say it would be a better world if people were unaffected by slurs but its common knowledge that where and when those were socially acceptable they were used far more frequently.

If the victims don't get defensive about slurs, no one will and those slurs will be used casually and openly often which sends the message to all parties that the slur is acceptable to be spoken since it will be unchallenged.

TL;DR - When you tolerate racial slurs you are also saying the attitudes behind the racial slur are acceptable.

Last edited by MessiahDecoy123; 10-28-2013 at 05:50 PM.
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #85
JeetKuneDo
Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Slurs bother people not because the slur is valid but for two main reasons:

1) someone had malice intent toward you and those like you and had no problem disrespecting you and verbally attacking you

2) similar bigotry was responsible for countless misery and suffering for many like you and that suffering is not only trivialized but also supported

You say it would be a better world if people were unaffected by slurs but its common knowledge that where and when those were socially acceptable they were used far more frequently.

If the victims don't get defensive about slurs, no one will and those slurs will be used casually and openly often which sends the message to all parties that the slur is acceptable to be spoken since it will be unchallenged.
I think it's just a fault in our biology that will someday disappear as evolution continues to work on us.

There is no logical reason to be offended by words.

In this case, there is no malice either, so it's even more illogical.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #86
herakles
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Some people have waaaaaay too much time on their hands to even be sitting around thinking about what makes them offended.
EXACTLY!!!!!

There will always be people who are looking to get offended. There a lot of Native Tribes who have zero issue the name.

herakles is offline   Reply With Quote