The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #626
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman!! - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I don't think Oscar recognition is always a surefire sign of deserving quality. But in the case of the Good Will Hunting screenplay I feel it was merited. Plus, Matt and Ben have one of my fave Oscar acceptance speeches ever.
dont think he deserved argo oscar

thought life of pi was far superior academy got it right with best director

Old 10-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #627
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I liked Pi better, TBH. But I would love to see what Affleck would do with a really big budget and scale

Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #628
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I was very pleased when Affleck missed out on a directing nomination for Argo, it turned into a ludicrous fantasy by the end of the film.

Amour should have won best picture and specially Haneke should won for his direction. It was the only masterpiece in contention last year.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #629
smashmode
House Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
I was very pleased when Affleck missed out on a directing nomination for Argo, it turned into a ludicrous fantasy by the end of the film.

Amour should have won best picture and specially Haneke should won for his direction. It was the only masterpiece in contention last year.

Man you must have been pissed off when Affleck won Best Picture.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #630
shauner111
Side-Kick

I liked Argo but it should not have won Best Picture.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #631
roach
I am the night

Quote:
I don't think that Whedon bit is true at all. Whedon is the big guy at Marvel, he creates their content so he is king. Downey is the star and he has say in the solo movies but on a group film, he is just another actor, an important one but there's many big actors present on set for him to sour the set and impose his ass.

Whedon wrote The Avengers around Cap. If Downey were intruding, it would be framed through Stark's perspective but its not.
Of course you won't believe it. It doesn't prove your opinion.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/29/th...s-weeks-cover/

"When he wasn’t out dancing, Whedon was obsessively rewriting dialogue. On the Iron Man movies, Downey was notorious for pushing for heat-of-the-moment script punch-ups (or as he puts it: “I dominated like a rabid, horny gorilla”). And even as part of an ensemble in Avengers, he still nudged Whedon to go a little farther in some scenes."

Pretty much RDJ was asking for scene rewrites and dialogue changes. So he wasn't just an actor on set.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #632
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:

Affleck should've gotten Best Director, but Amour should've gotten Best Picture.

At least that's how I see it.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #633
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Of course you won't believe it. It doesn't prove your opinion.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/09/29/th...s-weeks-cover/

"When he wasnt out dancing, Whedon was obsessively rewriting dialogue. On the Iron Man movies, Downey was notorious for pushing for heat-of-the-moment script punch-ups (or as he puts it: I dominated like a rabid, horny gorilla). And even as part of an ensemble in Avengers, he still nudged Whedon to go a little farther in some scenes."

Pretty much RDJ was asking for scene rewrites and dialogue changes. So he wasn't just an actor on set.
It sounds very different. He was asking for changes, not making them, a world of difference. Affleck fanboys are saying he will re-write the script himself which is entirely different. And Whedon was the writer-director of the film, a true auteur. As long as his vision is not compromised, as long as he is staying within his vision, he can make wiggling room for himself. And Downey has never ever written or directed a feature film. Every frame of Avengers is singularly from Whedon's mind.

This is different where Affleck fanboys want him to re-write the scripts and help Snyder to direct the film or ghost direct the film himself.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #634
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmode View Post
Man you must have been pissed off when Affleck won Best Picture.
It was inevitable, so it wasn't like there was a surprise or something. And mediocre films win so often - Slumdog, Crash etc. I was more pleased that a film as spectacular as Amour was nominated for 5 major awards.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #635
roach
I am the night

Quote:
It sounds very different. He was asking for changes, not making them, a world of difference. Affleck fanboys are saying he will re-write the script himself which is entirely different. And Whedon was the writer-director of the film, a true auteur. As long as his vision is not compromised, as long as he is staying within his vision, he can make wiggling room for himself. And Downey has never ever written or directed a feature film. Every frame of Avengers is singularly from Whedon's mind.

This is different where Affleck fanboys want him to re-write the scripts and help Snyder to direct the film or ghost direct the film himself.
See this is where your bias shows. No one said he was rewriting the script or taking over the set. Part of Ben's deal was he had a say in the script...just like RDJ has. However when RDJ does the same its all within the vision of Whedon's film. When Ben does it its because he's trying to take over.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #636
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I like RDJ immensely, as an actor. I doubt he can write or direct for jack****. So its hard to believe he wrote a word of Avengers. Like I said again, the entirety of Avengers is like a tour of Whedonisms. I see his and only his work in the film.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #637
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
I like RDJ immensely, as an actor. I doubt he can write or direct for jack****. So its hard to believe he wrote a word of Avengers. Like I said again, the entirety of Avengers is like a tour of Whedonisms. I see his and only his work in the film.
If he added anything to the dialogue/character interactions it wasn't "written." He's a situational comedian. I guarantee he's more intelligent than you give him credit for, but not as a script writer. I'll give you that.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #638
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Nothing i posted said he wrote a word of Avengers. What I posted was he pushing for rewrites and punch-ups. If you looked at the one link I posted about Avengers you'd see Whedon was writing and rewriting on set.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #639
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

A treat for Affleck fanboys. The Playlist has made a list of Affleck's best and worst performances.

Worst: Gigli, Pearl Harbour, Daredevil
Good: Good Will Hunting, The Town, Hollywoodland

Here's the excerpts from the write-up on Affleck's Razzie winning performance in Daredevil which is beloved and celebrated by his fans here.
There’s no denying that Ben Affleck has been in some terrible movies, but we’d hazard that rarely has he been as front-and-center with his badness as he was with “Daredevil,” frequently Exhibit A in the case against having Affleck play Batman. Of course writer/director Mark Steven Johnson is hardly known for his subtle hand, and sure enough the script, story and overall direction of the film are pretty brutal. But it’s Affleck’s lead role that is the film’s biggest misstep. Affleck is the very definition of bland and blockish in the role, occasionally snarling “justice” at his adversaries, while once again managing not to find a single moment of onscreen chemistry with an actress with whom he’d go on to have an offscreen romance (Jennifer Garner as Elektra). The lumbering, sober tone sits at terrible odds with the more cartoony moments and far too often the suiting-up sequences, the to-the-rescue! moments and the squaring off for a fight segments are given such OTT treatment that the hero comes across as, of all things, a goddamn poser. And Affleck doesn’t fare much better in his Murdock moments, styled with really horrible hair and the kind of smug grin that makes you root for the bad guy, even his should-be fun scenes with sidekick Jon Favreau play flat and totally charmless.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #640
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

I don't give a **** about Razzie winning films and usually avoid them but I had tried watching Daredevil years ago and couldn't finish it. I don't even remember what I saw it was so bad but his performance seems pretty awful.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #641
Rorschach2012
$

I actually enjoyed the Daredevil Director's Cut

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #642
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

But again though, you can't blame Affleck for those flaws this Daredevil.

All of that goes back to the lackluster script, sub-par direction, and the fact the studio approved theatrical cut sucked all life out of the film, as it opted for tone lighter than that Johnson envisioned for the film. Because as mentioned before, the Director's Cut of Daredevil is superior to the cut people are most familiar with. And it puts some of the flaws into perspective as to why they seemed off in the theatrical cut.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #643
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I like and own Daredevil DC on blu ray.
The theatrical cut of Daredevil doesn't even make sense especially the end when the cops show up to arrest Kingpin for NO REASON.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #644
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

The Playlist weren't reviewing the film, they were just reviewing Affleck's performance. So they are criticizing his performance (and by extension the film). They are not saying that his performance was awful because the film was awful, they are saying the performance was one of the things that made the film awful.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #645
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I think they get the characterisation of Daredevil and Mat Murdock completely wrong. Whether that was the script, the director or Affleck it's difficult to tell.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #646
Boom
I got nothin'

I see this thread is in full-blown "merry go round" mode.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #647
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
I see this thread is in full-blown "merry go round" mode.
It's inevitable until we get some news or photos.
Normally I skip news, photos and trailers and go into movies as fresh as possible but no way can I do that for this movie.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #648
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
The Playlist weren't reviewing the film, they were just reviewing Affleck's performance. So they are criticizing his performance (and by extension the film). They are not saying that his performance was awful because the film was awful, they are saying the performance was one of the things that made the film awful.
And that's where they would be wrong.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #649
Broseph44
Side-Kick

Quote:
So what's your point dude? Are you just trying to point out that daredevil was horrible so automatically he will suck as batman?

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?

Sinestro: Thats the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, well always be friends.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #650
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
So what's your point dude? Are you just trying to point out that daredevil was horrible so automatically he will suck as batman?
Yup, that indeed appears to be what he's saying, and anyone who disagrees is an Affleck fanboy.

*splat*
Closed Thread