The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Who owns the rights to Alpha Flight, Excalibur and Starjammers?

Hey, I'm wondering if these properties are part of the X-Men rights or if Marvel owns them?

Also, when it comes to characters who both Fox and Disney can use, does this mean that Fox can use Blade as long as he's part of Excalibur or Disney can use Psylocke for the same reason?

And then with Starjammers, could we have two versions of Havok or Ms. Marvel on screen like Quicksilver?

Last edited by Dasher10; 08-22-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Who owns the rights to Alpha Flight, Excalibur and Starjammers?

Marvel sold the character rights in the 90's so it's likely all X-Universe characters present on those team before then are at Fox

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Zarex
Side-Kick

We know that Marvel sold off mutants, direct relations and related characters as part of the X-Men agreement with FOX. Blade is with Marvel, and Psylocke is with FOX - Feige has stated that joint ownership such as that with Wanda and Pietro is very rare. It has been speculated that Marvel retains control over all Marvel alien races such as the Kree and the Skrulls, with a few aliens (Galactus, Surfer, Annihilus, Super-Skrull) residing at FOX under the FF contract. My guess is the X-Men contract didn't include the Starjammers but did include Alpha Flight, but nothing has been confirmed to date.

Last edited by Zarex; 08-23-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
We know that Marvel sold off mutants, direct relations and related characters as part of the X-Men agreement with FOX. Blade is with Marvel, and Psylocke is with FOX - Feige has stated that joint ownership such as that with Wanda and Pietro is very rare. It has been speculated that Marvel retains control over all Marvel alien races such as the Kree and the Skrulls, with a few aliens (Galactus, Surfer, Annihilus, Super-Skrull) residing at FOX under the FF contract. My guess is the X-Men contract didn't include the Starjammers but did include Alpha Flight, but nothing has been confirmed to date.

If an Excalibur movie happens and it's missing Blade or Psylocke depending on who makes it, will it still grab people's interest? Granted, I was wrong about an Avengers film without Spider-Man.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
If an Excalibur movie happens and it's missing Blade or Psylocke depending on who makes it, will it still grab people's interest? Granted, I was wrong about an Avengers film without Spider-Man.
The original Excalibur team was made up of four muties and Captain Britain, who FOX likely does not have the rights to. Colossus might make an ok substitute. Listening to Singer's speech in Montreal about a Marvel "mash-up", I thought that he might be talking about this team rather than an FF/X-Men crossover.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I don't think you have to worry so much about some of those. Especially things like Excalibur or Starjammers. Fox wouldn't have the balls to try making films like that. Too ambitious...they like to play it safe.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Indeed, setting a movie almost entirely on another continent with unfamiliar actors is of course safe.

I was under the impression Fox has the Skrulls which is why Marvel had to use the ****** Chitauri things

Professor Xavier: I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I hope that these are done as separate movies.

Alpha Flight: Guardian, Puck, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora; save Sasquatch and Heather as Vindicator for part 2.

Excalibur: Capt. Britain, Meggan, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Psylocke (instead of Phoenix II)

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

They probably belong to FOX.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I hope that these are done as separate movies.

Alpha Flight: Guardian, Puck, Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora; save Sasquatch and Heather as Vindicator for part 2.

Excalibur: Capt. Britain, Meggan, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Psylocke (instead of Phoenix II)

I know that he's overexposed but HOW can you even have Alpha Flight without Wolverine?

Also, if I recall correctly, both Marvel and Fox can use both the Kree since Marvel owns Inhumans and Ms. Marvel while Fox owns Fantastic Four. I'm not sure how Marvel has access to the Skrulls since they're usually Fantastic Four villains.

When it comes to overlap between studios, I'm not going to be shocked if Ronan pops up in the Fantastic Four reboot or Viper makes it into Captain America 3.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
I know that he's overexposed but HOW can you even have Alpha Flight without Wolverine?

Also, if I recall correctly, both Marvel and Fox can use both the Kree since Marvel owns Inhumans and Ms. Marvel while Fox owns Fantastic Four. I'm not sure how Marvel has access to the Skrulls since they're usually Fantastic Four villains.

When it comes to overlap between studios, I'm not going to be shocked if Ronan pops up in the Fantastic Four reboot or Viper makes it into Captain America 3.
Viper will probably be called Madame Hydra in a MCU film. And will look very different to X-Men's Viper except for the green outfits.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Still, nobody knows if Fox definitely has these rights or if Marvel does?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
metaphysician
Side-Kick

No, though I would say it is extremely strong odds that all three are part of the X-license. Seeing as one of them is an X-team, and the other two almost never appear outside of X-comics.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
No, though I would say it is extremely strong odds that all three are part of the X-license. Seeing as one of them is an X-team, and the other two almost never appear outside of X-comics.

Alpha Flight did have their own series for quite some time.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Does anyone here know which studio owns Uatu? I'm not sure if he's part of GOTG or FF.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

I would guess Fox myself.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
jonathancrane
Side-Kick

Alpha Flight belongs to Fox: the elderly couple in Wolverine Origins held the names of two of the members, if I recall correctly.

*I will forgive the writers of Man of Steel, if Superman is the Enlightened Sun God he is supposed to be, in Superman vs. Batman. Quite simply, Superman does not kill. The writers of MOS failed to grasp this, to this film's detriment.
Favorite CBMs: 1) X2 2) The Avengers 3) CA:TWS 4) Watchmen 5) Batman: MOTP 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor: TDW 8) TASM 9) IM3 10) S/B: Apocalypse
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
jonathancrane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Does anyone here know which studio owns Uatu? I'm not sure if he's part of GOTG or FF.
He first appeared in a Fantastic Four magazine and appeared in several of the key arcs which means there's a 99% he is at Fox.

*I will forgive the writers of Man of Steel, if Superman is the Enlightened Sun God he is supposed to be, in Superman vs. Batman. Quite simply, Superman does not kill. The writers of MOS failed to grasp this, to this film's detriment.
Favorite CBMs: 1) X2 2) The Avengers 3) CA:TWS 4) Watchmen 5) Batman: MOTP 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor: TDW 8) TASM 9) IM3 10) S/B: Apocalypse
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Blade and Psylocke were never members of Excalibur...

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
The Englishman
Marching On Together

I wonder who has the rights to Captain Britain??

Old 10-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Englishman View Post
Blade and Psylocke were never members of Excalibur...
Ugh. Technically they were, one of the more recent and rather terrible runs.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
The Englishman
Marching On Together

When? If your thinking of Captain Britain & MI:13 that was neither Excalibur or terrible...

Old 10-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
Dasher10
Side-Kick

So who owns Deathbird? She debuted in X-Men but is mostly a Ms. Marvel villain.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
roach
I am the night

The contracts wouldn't list every character that Marvel and other studios own. More than likely the contract with Fox says "X-men and related characters." So in the grand scheme of things these three properties: Alpha Flight, Excalibur and Starjammers belong to Fox.

Deathbird is more of an X-men villain than a Ms Marvel villain.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
The contracts wouldn't list every character that Marvel and other studios own. More than likely the contract with Fox says "X-men and related characters." So in the grand scheme of things these three properties: Alpha Flight, Excalibur and Starjammers belong to Fox.

Deathbird is more of an X-men villain than a Ms Marvel villain.

If that's the case, then the reason why Marvel can use Ronan who debuted in Fantastic Four, appeared in multiple Fantastic Four cartoons and is seen as a FF villain in GOTG is probably because he's considered to also be part of the GOTG brand as well.

Either that or Marvel and Fox decided to trade the rights to Ronan and Viper as the latter is more of a Captain America villain than anything else.

At the same time, I'm hoping it's the former. This would lead to Marvel being capable of giving themselves a reason to develop GOTG and Ms. Marvel so that they can leach off of Fox's properties. This way, Marvel can claim that some of the Skrulls like Hulkling and Jazinda are technically part of the Hulk rights but Fox can still use Lyja and Super-Skrull as they're related to the Fantastic Four.

When it comes to the Kree, I think that Ronan is a shared character but the rest of the Kree are part of the GOTG, Ms. Marvel and Inhumans rights.

The Shi'Ar are a bit iffier. My best guess is that Lilandra, Erik The Red, D'Ken and Gladiator belong to Fox since they're almost exclusively tied to the X-Men. Korvus and Vulcan will probably be shared since they're just as related to GOTG and Deathbird is also tied to Ms. Marvel so she's probably also shared. Nova Prime definitely belongs to Marvel.

The Spartoi are too tied to Star-Lord so they're off-limits to Fox, same with the Badoon, Inhumans, Builders, Chitauri, Rigelians and Eternals.

I'm not sure if the Brood are shared since they're tied to both Ms. Marvel as well as the X-Men.

Fox probably has exclusive rights to the Zenn-Lavians, anything from the Negative Zone, Birjans, Technarchy, Watchers and the Phalanx.

The celestials have a connection to Apocalypse but I doubt that Fox can use them so while I'm admitting that I'm may be wrong, I think that they're exclusive to Marvel.

Finally, Sony owns the Symbiotes.

Can anyone provide a source that says otherwise to any of this?