The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Default What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Spoiler tags....spoiler tags....spoiler tags.....

Fanboys, let the whinging begin.

I liked Iron Man 3 for the most part. Out of all the MCU, I'd rank it fourth after The Avengers, Iron Man and Thor. But there were some things I didn't like from it.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

- First off, minor complaint: No opening titles. That's a pet peeve of mine for a lot of movies, though (including Thor and Captain America).

- No appearance of the War Machine armor. Come on, there were toys for it and everything! We all knew that it would be modified into the Iron Patriot armor, but I was hoping Rhodey would at least start the movie in the War Machine armor.

- For that matter, I didn't like that Rhodes was absent from virtually all of the first half of the film.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
- The big reveal of Ben Kingsley's Mandarin being a mouthpiece didn't bother me that much. I'm used to the whole decoy villain thing after the Nolan Batfilms. Maybe I was a little disappointed because Mandarin was so sinister at first and I'd have rather seen him remain a true villain to the end, even though Killian was still an effective villain. But the real problem I had with it was the way the reveal went down. You've got two girls in bed, then you have Kingsley come out of the bathroom in sweatpants warning them not to go in there for five minutes. It was like something out of a Michael Bay movie. I'll probably be more accustomed to it on my second viewing, but that moment really took me out of the movie for a minute.

- Surprisingly, I liked the kid that Tony befriended in Tennessee. What I didn't like was that he kept asking about New York. We got it the first ten times.

- I wasn't a fan of Pepper gaining powers from Extremis, but that's probably just because I'm not a fan of Pepper in general.

Finally,

- No AC/DC. Or rock music in general, really. It's Tony's M.O. It's nothing major, I just missed it, is all.

Last edited by C. Lee; 05-03-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

The whole removing of his reactor. Just doesnt sit well with me.

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Juicy J
Side-Kick

I kinda didn't like/understand what went on with Pepper gaining powers. Thought that was a liiiittle much, but we'll see how they resolve it in her next appearance. I also didn't get the part where they took out his chestpiece at the end. Why couldn't he have done that earlier?

Last edited by Juicy J; 05-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Spoiler tags....spoiler tags....spoiler tags.....

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Drizzle
Assemble Again

While I understand putting spoiler tags in posts in threads like the Mandarin thread or the Killian thread, with this one I put spoiler alert in caps in the title. If people choose to click on it, how is it my fault?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

-Mandarin's reveal as Trevor
-SOME of Harley's scenes. I didn't hate him as much as I thought I would.
-Not enough of War Machine/Iron Patriot in action.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
While I understand putting spoiler tags in posts in threads like the Mandarin thread or the Killian thread, with this one I put spoiler alert in caps in the title. If people choose to click on it, how is it my fault?
Because.....there have been warning about it for over a week.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

-Why wouldn't he remove the reactor in the first movie? The thing about the sharpnel was that it was too close to the heart to operate.

-When Extremis gives you ninja agility? (Pepper scene). I understand they give incredible regeneration powers and overheat, but when it's stated the credibility of that scene?

-Every media knows were Tony Stark lives (and in an extension of that idea, everyone). Why would the media helicopters appear when he makes that statement?

-Why there is so much variation in the extremis health regeneration power?

-Why would Killian make Pepper an extremis user? Trophy? You gave your hostage awesome regeneration and heating powers? Nonsense!

-Exploding inside a suit doesn't kill Killian, but an explosion does? Same illogic applied with Pepper falling to her fiery death, or the other woman being in the gas explosion.

Last edited by Rocanrol; 05-03-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Rocanrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
TheDarkKnight08
genius

Pepper killing Killian. My biggest complaint, as it was something I hated about the first 2 films (Tony not kicking the villain's ass.) And it was done in such a random and over the top manner. Damn near killed the entire film for me until I started thinking about how great the rest of the damn movie is.

Tony having
the shrapnel removed.
If it was so easy, why didn't he do it sooner? Plus, since it was such a big deal in this film, as much as it was in the first 2, why have the movie end with a focus on that?

War Machine. That was such a nice suit, with toys being made of it everything, and it wasn't even in the movie! Doesn't affect that quality of the film, but I was waiting for it to show up!

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
nbanflguy
Side-Kick

• I hated the
    Mandarin twist
    I was like in total shock when it happened. I thought I was being punked.
  • I hated how every time Tony would do something badass, he would ruin it 1 second later with humor. It was funny the first 5 times, but it got old quick
  • Pepper
    getting powers and killing killian
  • Tony
    was only inside the suit for like 5 minutes all movie
  • Rhodey really did
    nothing as the iron patriot
  • Maybe it is just me, but the pacing seemed a little weird

nbanflguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Liam_H
Side-Kick

-In general I didn't like how some of the humor was forced into the movie, I understand when Stark does it but when other characters do its just too much. I mean for example Killian can breathe fire but thats never brought back up again. It was done only for a joke for Rhodey.

-Some things I feel that were just a bit too convenient. Tony Stark is being shown completely on edge to the point he creates over 40 suits but he has no defense system for his house? Nothing to tell him he has missiles incoming. Even before the events of TA I would've expected something Then we have JARVIS malfunctioning in a way to take where he is suppose to end up. Also personally I feel that the Iron Patriot shouldn't be so easily used by anyone else, there should be some security measures to keep anyone from just jumping into there.

-I like how the progression of his suits are used but I feel they go a bit overboard with it in some parts. He can call it from hundreds of miles away or that he can completely remote control the thing.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
thalidomide
The Enemy

The fact that
the gotg mid credits scene is not true. That is all.

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight08 View Post
Pepper killing Killian. My biggest complaint, as it was something I hated about the first 2 films (Tony not kicking the villain's ass.)
But he did kick Killian's ass. He trapped him in the Mark 42 armor and destructed it. Though it didn't kill him, it definitely weakened him.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Merlo
Banned User

-The blue song
-Post credits scene
-The Iron Patriot suit
-Stark's character arc (generic)
-Unoriginal story lines (didn't feel as any of them were new in any kind of way)

I have other complaints but I already touched on them in the rate/review thread.

Merlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Merlo
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
But he did kick Killian's ass. He trapped him in the Mark 42 armor and destructed it. Though it didn't kill him, it definitely weakened him.
He did, but meh, he was still alive.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

-The poor character development for all supporting characters
-The shoehorned opening scene to introduce Guy Pearce's character
-The Lackluster action sequences
-The twist/use of The Mandarin/ wasting Kingsley's talent
-The lack of Iron Patriot in action sequences/in general

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Merlo
Banned User

I agree about the new War Machine suit, it should have been used.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

WTF is with this spoiler tagging stuff now? Why would somebody read this thread if they didn't want to be spoiled or saw the movie?

Anyways, the things I didn't really care for was the PTSD stuff with Tony. They could have done without that. Other than that? Just minor nitpicks that didn't ruin the movie.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Wasn't much that really bothered me, besides
the use of Extremis, specifically the way they could heat up and melt things. It became pretty repetitive and kind of stupid. I was thinking to myself, "How many times is one of these guys gonna melt something?"

Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Mandarin twist
Pepper & Killian at the end
Killian at the beginning

All were minor gripes for me, it was a good movie.

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
divan
Side-Kick

Basically two things:

- The pacing felt a little 'off' sometimes. It goes up and down all the time and the part with the little kid felt a bit too long despite being like 5 or 10 minutes (I'm not counting the battles here, nor the conversation with the woman in the bar).

- The humor was good and gave the movie a sensation of surrealism ( I personaly love the humour used during Stark's PTSD and the Twist) but I think it shouldn't have existed during the final battle (there's a specific moment where I truly think it canceled the drama instead of complementing it).

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
third3ye
Side-Kick

Here's my 'dislike' list, put up my 'like' list in the other thread:

-Rhodey's screen time, would've liked to see one legit action sequence with Iron Patriot beating up some baddies
-Never felt Pepper was in real danger in the end
-All the supporting cast just felt like backdrops, Rebecca Hall especially - they could've told the entire story w/o her and not missed a beat
-Iron Man suits' screentime, they barely showcased most of the suit's unique abilities
-Killian's motives got a bit muddy at times, what was he ultimately trying to accomplish? Perfecting Extremis to sell to the highest bidder? Use the VP to control the government from the shadows?
-Stark's detective work in the second act all came too easily, didn't seem like he had to lift a finger as Jarvis did all the heavy lifting initially and later everything just somehow fell in place in his favor when he was on his own

Last edited by third3ye; 05-03-2013 at 03:24 PM.
third3ye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #23
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I agree with what others said about Rhodey
having a lack of suited up action. Would it of hurt to let Rhodey suit up in one of Tony's 47 armors and take on some extreamist soliders at the end of the film. Tony coded an armor for his girlfriend Pepper I don't see why he couldn't code one for his best buddy. Sure rhodey saved the president but I would of liked to see a bit more suit action.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Okay, I don't think spoiler tags are necessary (the thread title says "SPOILER ALERT", so someone who doesn't want to be spoiled would be stupid to read this thread)... but just in case:

- the Mandarin twist (a wasted opportunity)
- an simple attack with 3 helicopters is successful... against a (defenseless?) house were a (stupid?) billionaire has several of the most powerful weapons on earth that were good enough to counter alien technology!!!
- pointless Maya Hansen character
- after-credit scene that didn't build up any tension for future movies
- bringing Tony "back to the cave" where he has to work with a box of scraps again... but this time not in Afghanistan, but in Tennessee, and strangely enough Tony isn't able to rely on his vast resources (no suit in the Stark Tower in New York, for example?)... not convincing at all

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
epc11223
Side-Kick

thought the film was ok. like a lot of people, thought 1 was the best of the trilogy. can anyone explain to me how the suit can go onto pepper and killian if the suit needs tony's injection? didn't tony inject him with something so the suit can gravitate towards him for it to be on? he didn't really master it yet, but he can command it to go onto something else? that really stood out to me.

since this is the "didn't" like thread. i also really didn't like the reactor being removed from tony. that was a "what the????" moment for me.

epc11223 is offline   Reply With Quote