The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #351
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Oh you're right

So when Killian said "I AM THE MANDARIN" it meant "I'm just the dude who hired another dude to disguise himself as another dude while I blow your house up"

I guess when Tony Stark said "I AM IRON MAN" it means "i'm just some dude who makes suits for the real tony stark"

okay lol
"I'm Batman"

Don't mean it's true. Context bud, context.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #352
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
"I'm Batman"

Don't mean it's true. Context bud, context.
And that's a completely different context from the one in Iron Man 3.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #353
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Can it really be that easy?

I am George Clooney!

*waits*

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #354
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #355
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Can it really be that easy?

I am George Clooney!

*waits*
Well? DID IT WORK? Cause if it did..

I'M ROBERT DOWNEY JR!!!

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #356
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I dunno. I don't feel any different... my bank account is still empty...

...could it all be lies?

- Ryōkan

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #357
ferpuerto17
Side-Kick

Killian was not interesting at all... mad at Tony because he skip a meeting on the roof once

ferpuerto17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #358
ferpuerto17
Side-Kick

how come those that said that Killian was the Mandarin because he said so in the MCU cannot accept that he was not because it was said in All Hail the King? Killian ws never the Mandarin, he just said he was the man behind everything attributed to the Mandarin. Told you so, it is over... next topic

Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #359
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Killian is the Mandarin; the character is done, unless they bring Pierce back, which seems unlikely, given the absence of a multi-film contract. They will probably be focusing on a new villain for IM4, instead of fan-wanking, and wasting a film in the process.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #360
ferpuerto17
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Killian is the Mandarin; the character is done, unless they bring Pierce back, which seems unlikely, given the absence of a multi-film contract. They will probably be focusing on a new villain for IM4, instead of fan-wanking, and wasting a film in the process.
Well there is someone who has not seen the All Hail the King short... Sorry, according to the Marvel Cinematic Universe Killian was not the Mandarin

Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #361
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
No. They didn't just do this for nothing.

Look at all the clues, There's more to it. This was ALWAYS ALWAYS the intent.

The after credit scene wasn't just for giggles. It was a clue. That the entire movie was Stark's recollection of events. And he was in therapy.

There was always going to be more to the Mandarin twist.

Trevor was always intended to be the Mandarin, Kingsley. And some way or another, he will still turn out to be the Mandarin
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
No, he isn't. It apparently was some guy we never saw before cause Marvel decided to undermine their director's original vision, and give fans a reason to not be mad yet still somehow feel cheated that the real Mandarin will never be around for another RDJ Iron Man film. While the short was fun, I think this is a bad look for Marvel. As a filmmaker, I'd be somewhat offended to have been given the greenlight for my vision of a character, only for some short to come out because Marvel didn't have my back. Listen to the commentary. Killian was given the tatoos and martial arts as a way to incorporate classic Mandarin into the character. Black even says this himself.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #362
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

If we ever see the "real" Mandarin, it would likely be long after Downey has left the role, and it would still have to be very revised take.

Honestly, this short does undermine Black's movie and the MCU as a whole.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #363
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

It very much undermines Shane Black. That is not cool. If you didn't like my Mandarin, instead of letting me do IM3 and then this short, why didn't you just force me to rework the idea in the first place? The studio should have your back when fans complain after you made the investment in my movie, and I made you billions.

I still enjoy IM3, don't get me wrong. Thematically, nothing has changed. Personally, I still think of Killian as the Mandarin at this point. We're not likely to ever see this "Mandarin" at least until Phase 4, when RDJ is gone. We didn't get to see him here, so until he comes out to play, I call Killian the Mandarin.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #364
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Marvel decided to undermine their director's original vision
Man, really? C'mon.

I'll believe this when Shane Black himself comes out and says so. Otherwise, none of us really have any idea at all. Anything else is baseless message board speculation.

And I don't get this need to insist that they're lying about it. What the hell kind of purpose would that serve? I'm content to take Drew Pearce's word for it.

Can't believe the mountain people have made out of this. Entire movies have had less bitterness and anger directed towards them than this tiny little short film.

- Ryōkan

Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #365
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Man, really? C'mon.

I'll believe this when Shane Black himself comes out and says so. Otherwise, none of us really have any idea at all. Anything else is baseless message board speculation.

And I don't get this need to insist that they're lying about it. What the hell kind of purpose would that serve? I'm content to take Drew Pearce's word for it.

Can't believe the mountain people have made out of this. Entire movies have had less bitterness and anger directed towards them than this tiny little short film.
In every interview, he reffered to Pearce as the Mandarin, and in the commentary, he even discusses the process of coming up with the idea, and what elements they added to Killian toward the end of the movie to show him taking the mantle. I highly doubt Black made IM3 with this in mind. Why would you do a fake version of the villain you were told to use in RDJ's possible (and likely) last Iron Man film? When you won't be around to resolve this storyline and RDJ likely won't be either? Wouldn't make sense to knowingly hamstring this much on a future director for the series. Thus, I highly doubt Shane Black intended this. I agree, we don't know what his feelings are about it, but I doubt he will publicly be as candid as Taylor has been (if Black is indeed offended...who knows, he is listed in a special thanks credit...no one knows what that means). But, I don't see this being Black's initial vision for the character. Too many gaps in logic.

The only thing I can maybe see is
they decided to use him in Agents of SHIELD as the Clairvoyant. I think this is a retcon either way, but this would be only way we'd have a chance at seeing him anytime soon. Since Iron Man 4 is a longshot to happen anytime soon.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 02-07-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #366
ferpuerto17
Side-Kick

Quote:
In every interview, he reffered to Pearce as the Mandarin, and in the commentary, he even discusses the process of coming up with the idea, and what elements they added to Killian toward the end of the movie to show him taking the mantle. I highly doubt Black made IM3 with this in mind. Why would you do a fake version of the villain you were told to use in RDJ's possible (and likely) last Iron Man film? When you won't be around to resolve this storyline and RDJ likely won't be either? Wouldn't make sense to knowingly hamstring this much on a future director for the series. Thus, I highly doubt Shane Black intended this. I agree, we don't know what his feelings are about it, but I doubt he will publicly be as candid as Taylor has been (if Black is indeed offended...who knows, he is listed in a special thanks credit...no one knows what that means). But, I don't see this being Black's initial vision for the character. Too many gaps in logic.

The only thing I can maybe see is
they decided to use him in Agents of SHIELD as the Clairvoyant. I think this is a retcon either way, but this would be only way we'd have a chance at seeing him anytime soon. Since Iron Man 4 is a longshot to happen anytime soon.
Well, Maybe if Shane Black's view did not suck balls they would not have come back to fix it. He is a director and the Marvel Studios people have the right to change things and take the characters in the direction they want... In other words... Killian, not the Mandarin

Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #367
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

sigh

- Ryōkan

Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #368
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferpuerto17 View Post
Well, Maybe if Shane Black's view did not suck balls they would not have come back to fix it. He is a director and the Marvel Studios people have the right to change things and take the characters in the direction they want... In other words... Killian, not the Mandarin
They liked it enough to invest 200 million dollars into it. You don't do that unless you're ok with the idea. If they didn't like the pitch for IM3, Black would have been fired before production began. Marvel was okay with the idea.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #369
Loki882
Side-Kick

You know, I've always believed that if a writer, be it a comic book writer or a screenwriter or any other kind of writer, doesn't like a particular character, that's perfectly fine. People don't have to like the same things. However, if this is the case, then that particular writer should not use that particular character because they're inevitably going to mess it up and portray the character poorly. Grant Morrison doesn't like Magneto, so he destroys the work that dozens of other writers put into making Magneto a complicated morally-grey character over decades with Planet X. Joss Whedon doesn't like the Punisher, and totally mischaracterized him in his Runaways run. Shane Black, if you don't like the Mandarin, which you made CRYSTAL clear is the case, that's fine. Then use a different villain instead of going out of your way to turn the Mandarin into a joke. I would have respected you more if you would have not used him at all because you don't like him. Also, I completely reject the idea that you can't do the Mandarin without him being racist. Several comic book writers have successfully done this, so that clichéd argument doesn't hold much water.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #370
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

At same time, Marvel could have said no. They didn't. They let him run with it in their 200 million dollar tentpole project. That door swings both ways.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #371
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

So much rage, so little time.

- Ryōkan

Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #372
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
So much rage, so little time.
Hey, you know I don't complain much in regard to what Marvel Studios has done. I've enjoyed all the movies to this point (some had more flaws than others) and I appreciate what we have. The MCU is I think best product out there for CBMs. But, at the same time, nobody is perfect and I'm a fair evaluater of things. This is how I personally see the situation.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #373
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hey, you know I don't complain much in regard to what Marvel Studios has done. I've enjoyed all the movies to this point (some had more flaws than others) and I appreciate what we have. The MCU is I think best product out there for CBMs. But, at the same time, nobody is perfect and I'm a fair evaluater of things. This is how I personally see the situation.
That wasn't a jab at you dude, just a general observation of the ...overall cluster**** that has been made of the release of the AHTK short.

What should have been just a fun dvd extra has been turned into some unholy condemnation of Marvel itself and I find the entire situation baffling.

People are flat out accusing Drew Pearce of lying about the intentions and origins of this short. That's a big wtf as far as I'm concerned and where I draw the line. The whole mess has given us nothing but angry nerds typing angrily at each other. There's like 4 threads worth of it on this site alone.

Doesn't anyone actually enjoy watching these things? Fun is not a bad word (unless your name is Alexei B). Why is everybody so pissed off all the time?

It's exhausting. Maybe I should take a break from the internet for awhile, I dunno.

- Ryōkan

Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #374
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
That wasn't a jab at you dude, just a general observation of the ...overall cluster**** that has been made of the release of the AHTK short.

What should have been just a fun dvd extra has been turned into some unholy condemnation of Marvel itself and I find the entire situation baffling.

People are flat out accusing Drew Pearce of lying about the intentions and origins of this short. That's a big wtf as far as I'm concerned and where I draw the line. The whole mess has given us nothing but angry nerds typing angrily at each other. There's like 4 threads worth of it on this site alone.

Doesn't anyone actually enjoy watching these things? Fun is not a bad word (unless your name is Alexei B). Why is everybody so pissed off all the time?

It's exhausting. Maybe I should take a break from the internet for awhile, I dunno.
Fun isn't a bad thing at all, LOL! Fun is actually why I prefer the MCU to some of these "darker reboots." The MCU has that elements of fun I liked in my superhero comics. I think it is why the general public likes them as well. I'm just saying I don't think expanding on the extremely controversial Mandarin twist was such a good idea, especially given the current state of the Iron Man series. At the end of the day, IM3 was a billion dollar film, and this is a fun extra on a DVD which most people buying Thor 2 likely won't even watch. So, not much honestly changes. I just have some issues large picture (since I am one of the nerdy people who watches all these shorts, LOL!)

I can't ignore that Cap 2 looks amazing or that Age of Ultron is shaping up to be somehow more geekout-tastic than the 1st one was. So, Marvel is providing me with a lot of stuff to look forward to as well. This is actually first real issue I've had with something they did. Heck, I didn't even mind the run time for Thor: TDW and I thought Malekith was fine! I think people take too many pot shots at Marvel and make them out to be the evil empire as well. But like I said, no studio is perfect.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 AM   #375
Uskok
MCU fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
As explained http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=782 Killian isn't the Mandarin.

Uskok is offline   Reply With Quote