The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #126
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 2

+1 for Spider-Fan indeed.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #127
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Loved it on first view
Going to watch the movie again to see if I have a different view

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #128
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

Whelp doesnt matter if you loved it or hated it...cause there is a 3rd Mandarin coming!

According to Latino-Review the secret Ben Kingsley Project mentioned last week was actually for a Marvel One-Shot featuring the REAL Mandarin hunting dor Killian and Trevor for stealing his name.....

oh boy....

FULL STORY - http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2...l-project.html

KnightGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #129
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Doubt this, also Killian is already dead. If this is true I'll be pissed.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Norrin Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #130
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightGambit View Post
Whelp doesnt matter if you loved it or hated it...cause there is a 3rd Mandarin coming!

According to Latino-Review the secret Ben Kingsley Project mentioned last week was actually for a Marvel One-Shot featuring the REAL Mandarin hunting dor Killian and Trevor for stealing his name.....

oh boy....

FULL STORY - http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2...l-project.html
If this is true, which I doubt. It would have to be done really really well for me to personally like it. Honestly I think they should leave it alone and move on. Plenty of other villains for iron man, and plenty of other Hero's who need their own films before iron man gets another solo outing.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #131
Thundercracker
Side-Kick

Oh sure, after I started to warm up to Killian as the Mandarin. Seriously though, I'm taking a huge grain of salt with this one considering the source. Honestly I can't believe Marvel would invest in something just to pander or appease the people that were disappointed with IM3 and the Mandarin. It will be interesting to see what this project is regardless.

Thundercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #132
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

This news came from Latino Review, which is notoriously wrong. Also, I will be extremely disappointed in Marvel if this does happen to be true, although I don't believe it. Can't rectify the mistakes of Iron Man 2 or no Hulk movie, but we can "fix" Mandarin? K.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #133
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

killian could have based the mandarin on something he thought to be just a myth or legend. he was a huge nerd so who knows what he came across surfing the web.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #134
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Hard to say what they will do, I will say while I liked it as a die hard Iron Man fan, I can tell you, I know alot of Iron Man diehards who absolutely hated it and will not even buy the movie on DVD, calling it the worst film of the year, because of what they did to Mandarin, now, I have never been a Mandarin fan, I accept that he is Starks arch enemy, so when they did what they did, I was ok with it, others however were down right angry and bitter, to me if true this panders to the minority, many I have spoken to never had a problem with the take, but they know little of Iron Man or Mandarin, so will wait and see.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #135
guitarking
Side-Kick

Yes this news would literally make the entire Iron Man 3 film redundant.

Well, Iron Man 3 was redundant on arrival so no big change.

guitarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #136
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
Yes this news would literally make the entire Iron Man 3 film redundant.

Well, Iron Man 3 was redundant on arrival so no big change.
Ha!

KnightGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #137
Lord
All Mighty

So redundant that it broke one billion, yeah right.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #138
OcStat
Side-Kick

All the Iron Man comics I've read since I started collecting seriously (several months of Heroes Return in late '90's, every issue since Warren Ellis' Extremis, in 2004. So years before the movie)...that feature the Mandarin, the ones that provided the source the films adaptation/interpretation of the character...Not one makes any references at all to his origin. Usually there's at least a few panels that will devote to the villains beginnings to bring any new readers up to speed. Not here.

So what does that tell me? The same thing that the movie did; keeping the core of the character while taking inspiration from the source material to create a new product, can make for some interesting stories. And Marvel was stepping away from the original Mandarin for some time, to update the characters relevance.

Last edited by OcStat; 10-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.
OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #139
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Its El Mayimbe, doing his usual "pander to the fanboys" routine. Its BS, believe it at your own peril.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #140
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan72 View Post
Hard to say what they will do, I will say while I liked it as a die hard Iron Man fan, I can tell you, I know alot of Iron Man diehards who absolutely hated it and will not even buy the movie on DVD, calling it the worst film of the year, because of what they did to Mandarin, now, I have never been a Mandarin fan, I accept that he is Starks arch enemy, so when they did what they did, I was ok with it, others however were down right angry and bitter, to me if true this panders to the minority, many I have spoken to never had a problem with the take, but they know little of Iron Man or Mandarin, so will wait and see.
Yeah, I still haven't purchased Iron Man 3 and I own all of the other Marvel Studio's movies on DVD, and I also repurchased them when I bought the Phase One Marvel Cinematic Universe Box Set for Blue Ray. In addition in the theater I saw all of the phase one movies multiple times (Avengers 5 times), but only saw Iron Man 3 in the theater once due to my disappointment with how the characters were dealt with, (and when I say characters I mean Iron Man as well as the Mandarin). With the Iron Man part I felt like I went to see a movie about Iron Man, but got a movie mostly showcasing Tony Stark, and while character development is always good I think I would have preferred a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movie, (although the ending with all the suits was really spectacular to watch). As for the Mandarin well we all know what happened there, some love it and some hate it, I would side more with the latter group there. However, I would have to say, I did see Iron Man 3 a second time on a flight back from New York to Los Angeles recently and I did not hate the movie as much as I did the initial time I saw it and was surprised. Now I am not saying with this more recent viewing I would even go as far as to say I liked the film, but I would say it was tolerable as before the 2nd viewing I really couldn't stand it. So, perhaps I am coming to terms with it.

However, if the information from Latino Review is correct (regarding the One Shot showing the Real Mandarin being furious with Killian and Trevor for making a mockery of his name), I would definitely welcome it. Although, I would have also welcomed Killian as the Mandarin if moving forward he embraced more of an Ancient Warlord look (instead of the business man look), and if he controlled his powers from his hands only (not his face). At least these small changes would help Killian to distinguish himself as specifically the Mandarin from the comics, as the business man look seems to be every villain today. Although, between Killian remaining the impression left on me of the Mandarin or something more similar to Ben Kingsley's Mandarin (pre twist) I would prefer Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. So, I am hopeful. As a matter of fact from a business stand point doing it as a one shot makes perfect sense. They already sold the general audience and the critics on the movie (they thought they would want to see), now they can discreetly use the one shot to sell the fans on the movie (at least the ones who didn't like what happened), and this will make them even more DVD and Blue Ray Sales. I mean it is kind of like Politics, the Politician's will say what ever they need to in order to get your vote (or in the case of this movie it would be to get the general audiences money), but once in office they pander to the special interests. Now, I despise this in politics, but since I don't see where this would hurt the general audience's experience (as they still got the original Iron Man 3 movie) and since I would be the special interests in this case, I am definitely excited over the possibilities. I guess we will see what happens.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #141
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Drew Pearce said on his twitter that no one is going to be apologizing for The Mandarin Twist anytime soon.
Take that as you will.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #142
Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
I just wish that we got the lines:

"Ladies, children... sheep. Some people call me a terrorist... etc."

"Heroes, there is no such thing."

And I really, REALLY wish that we got a scene of Trevor Slattery in character as The Mandarin in a face-to-face scene with Iron Man or Tony Stark. Then we could have gotten some of those lines that were delivered so perfectly in the trailers...

"Mr. Stark. Today, is the first day of what's left of your life."

"I am offering you a choice. Do you want an empty life? Or a meaningful death?"

I like the film. I would have accepted the twist more if we got to see "The Mandarin" in a face-to-face with Tony Stark/Iron Man before we discovered the truth about Trevor and Killian.

Basically, I wish we got to see Slattery's Mandarin in character MORE than just in the terror videos. He was SO good. I just wanted more.

-R

You know what would be really crazy, is if some of the deleted verbiage or footage from the Iron Man 3 trailers, were held back intentionally by Marvel because they are planning on using them in Iron Man 4 (to showcase the Real Mandarin). I know that is really reaching (especially since this news on the specifics of Ben Kingsley's One Shot is not even confirmed), but what a marketing idea that would be to market Iron Man 4 with Iron Man 3. It would definitely take some major thinking outside the box though, and a ton of planning, but Marvel is great at both, so anything is possible.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #143
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Drew Pearce said on his twitter that no one is going to be apologizing for The Mandarin Twist anytime soon.
Take that as you will.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #144
kguillou
Side-Kick

It's El Mayimbe, so it's absolutely bs...but Kingsley himself stated that he's doing a project with Marvel so that definitely implies that there IS some kind of Mandarin -related story coming soon...

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #145
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #146
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
It's El Mayimbe, so it's absolutely bs...but Kingsley himself stated that he's doing a project with Marvel so that definitely implies that there IS some kind of Mandarin -related story coming soon...
There have also been rumors that Kingsley could be doing a voiceover for Marvels Big Hero 6.
It is not GUARANTEED to be The Mandarin.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #147
Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Take that as you will.
True, but this does not really need to amount to apologizing for the twist, where the Mandarin from the 1st half of the movie turns out to be Trevor Slattery, and Killian claims he is the Mandarin at the end. Provided the news from Latino Review is true, perhaps Killian even believes he is the Mandarin. Some have said Killian could have come across the Mandarin legend through his web searches, and took the name for himself not knowing the legend was real. So, who knows at this point. But anyways, to me Drew Pearce not needing to apologize for the events of Iron Man 3's twist, does not mean to me that Killian is definitively the Mandarin, but instead that he feels he did a good job writing a clever story and left Marvel with enough room in which they can build a different story off of the existing story (without having to ret-con events), so no apology is really necessary.

Surfer

Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #148
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

No, it's apologizing.

"Hey you didn't like it, so we'll rectify that."

Quote:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #149
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

In his own way, Pearce has debunked this.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #150
Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
No, it's apologizing.

"Hey you didn't like it, so we'll rectify that."
I don't think it would necessarily be "apologizing" for, or "rectifying" something if they are leaving and acknowledging the events of Iron Man 3 as canon. They would be merely building on the existing movie a new and related movie with a different direction from what audience's currently think they know. As I said previously what if it was Marvel's idea all along even before Iron Man 3 to keep the audiences guessing not only once, but twice. In the words of Ben Kingsley "You will never see me coming". Would it be rectifying or fixing if it was their intent all along? Kevin Feige has often said that these movies are planned out many years in advance, so who would know for sure if the directional change was to placate fans or part of a very elaborate plan. Either way, I don't really care though, just hoping the news is true.

Surfer