The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...
Love it! 92 36.51%
It's okay... 56 22.22%
Hate it! 104 41.27%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #176
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 2

Unfunny is arbitrary.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #177
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Unfunny is arbitrary.
Yes, but sometimes a whole lot of people agree.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #178
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Sure, a faction of upset fan-boys, but not the general public, whose reception is prioritized. I mean, I would like to think that DC took my feedback regarding the unfunny joke that derailed the ending of MOS, but, in reality they did not: butts filled seats in the theaters and they sold a ton of Superman underwear and action figures, so they don't care.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #179
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

But where were hose fanboys when Batman begins changed Ras al Ghul?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #180
DarthDaveBanner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
What's most baffling about this is when Batman Begins turned Ra's Al Ghul into a white guy who had an ethnic body double, used the name of a lesser known and unrelated character, and didn't have the supernatural power source that he had in the comics but otherwise had the same motivation, MO, and backstory, no one cared.
"Ducard" was a much more interesting character than decoy Ra's. Had Killian been a more compelling villain I am sure there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #181
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

No, there are the two factions that either love or despise Nolan's work. You might have encountered them on this forum, once or twice.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #182
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDaveBanner View Post
"Ducard" was a much more interesting character than decoy Ra's. Had Killian been a more compelling villain I am sure there wouldn't be nearly as much backlash.
Haven't you heard? That's not important, only if executives care.

That said, I agree.

Quote:
No, there are the two factions that either love or despise Nolan's work. You might have encountered them on this forum, once or twice.
Same with every director. So, where were Nolan haters back in 2005?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #183
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I was not a member of this forum in 2005, even though I have been assured it was a more pleasant place.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #184
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I was not a member of this forum in 2005, even though I have been assured it was a more pleasant place.
Do you think fanboys were different back then so that's why no one complained about Ras al Ghul? Did you even have internet back in 2005?

Because not even now, after everyone complained about TDKR, current fanboys haven't looked back and complained about Ras. How strange.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #185
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Hi El Payaso

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #186
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I had internet back in 2005; however, I did not discover the Hype until much later in life. Besides, there have been posters on this forum who have complained about the third reel switcheroo, so I am kind-of not seeing your argument.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #187
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I had internet back in 2005; however, I did not discover the Hype until much later in life. Besides, there have been posters on this forum who have complained about the third reel switcheroo, so I am kind-of not seeing your argument.
A poster was baffled about how differently fans reacted to both twists. I pointed out what for me was the difference. I've never heard people complaining about Ra's the way they have about Mandarin.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #188
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Again, I've read nothing but posts complaining about how Nolan ruined every aspect of the Bat mythos (R'as included.) Allow me to make a point: while I loved what they did with the Mandarin, I understand how the upset Mandarin fans feel. After watching EMH and reading all of the comics, I was, and still am pissed with what they did to the Crimson Dynamo with a) the casting b) the writing c) Rourke's improvisation d) and combination and ruining of two characters for future appearances. I love IM2, but hate what was done to the Crimson Dynamo. That's why I watch EMH to be presented with a faithful and non-insulting adaptation. Again, while I love how the Mandarn was handled in IM3, I understand perfectly how people feel.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #189
Victarion
Cut

Can you drop me some links to the complaints, Senator? It's been so long that I forgot about them.

ďEvil is nothing but a word, an objectification where no objectification is necessary. Cast aside this notion of some external agency as the source of inconceivable inhumanity Ė the sad truth is our possession of an innate proclivity towards indifference, towards deliberate denial of mercy, towards disengaging all that is moral within us. But if that is too dire, letís call it evil. And paint it with fire and venom.Ē
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #190
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Again, I've read nothing but posts complaining about how Nolan ruined every aspect of the Bat mythos (R'as included.) Allow me to make a point: while I loved what they did with the Mandarin, I understand how the upset Mandarin fans feel. After watching EMH and reading all of the comics, I was, and still am pissed with what they did to the Crimson Dynamo with a) the casting b) the writing c) Rourke's improvisation d) and combination and ruining of two characters for future appearances. I love IM2, but hate what was done to the Crimson Dynamo. That's why I watch EMH to be presented with a faithful and non-insulting adaptation. Again, while I love how the Mandarn was handled in IM3, I understand perfectly how people feel.
It's ok. As I told you, it was someone else who said that "no one cared" when it happened to Ra's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
Can you drop me some links to the complaints, Senator? It's been so long that I forgot about them.
About Ra's? How could I if I think there weren't any?

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 11-02-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #191
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
There's no way they'd affect or retcon the ending of IM3 in a straight to video feature, not to mention if the mandarin twist really was shane black's idea I highly doubt they'd go against his wishes for the character.

The mandarin twist "issue" point blank was only a concern for the hardcore comic fans and most of the general public were totally fine with it so from marvel studio's/disney's point of view there was no backlash really.
There wasn't a backlash in any way shape or form.
A small but vocal amount of fans on this website and elsewhere on the internet had a fussy about it, but there was absolutely nothing like that amongst the general populace about the film. This website is literally the only place I've ever heard that complaint, because no one else but the type of people who come here would ever really care.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #192
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Because they didn't turn the character into an unfunny joke? Only difference I can spot.
I disagree with that statement on two grounds:

1: Iron Man 3 didn't turn the character into an unfunny joke, it turned the character into a white guy using the name of an unrelated lesser known character from the comics, which again was exact same thing they did with Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins. The joker character was his decoy, the character essentially filling the same role that Ken Watanabe's character filled in Batman Begins.

2: Trevor's scenes were hilarious.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #193
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I disagree with that statement on two grounds:

1: Iron Man 3 didn't turn the character into an unfunny joke, it turned the character into a white guy using the name of an unrelated lesser known character from the comics, which again was exact same thing they did with Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins. The joker character was his decoy, the character essentially filling the same role that Ken Watanabe's character filled in Batman Begins.
I completely agree with you. So what could be the reason why they had different reactions? I stand by my original (and probably wrong?) answer.

Quote:
2: Trevor's scenes were hilarious.
Someone else said "unfunny [therefore funny] is arbitrary." I say, it depends on the context.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #194
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
I completely agree with you. So what could be the reason why they had different reactions? I stand by my original (and probably wrong?) answer.
I think it's that, in the minds of a huge number of fans, The Mandarin is fundamentally defined by his race and how his powers work and Ra's Al Ghul is not.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #195
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Let us not forget that R'as was performed (or more specifically, voiced by) an English actor in TAS. So, the Euro-washing of the character was not something Nolan created, but, continued.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #196
The Question

Quote:
Let us not forget that R'as was performed (or more specifically, voiced by) an English actor in TAS. So, the Euro-washing of the character was not something Nolan created, but, continued.
It's not something Shane Black created either. The Mandarin was a white guy played by a white actor in the Iron Man animated series from the 90s.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #197
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I was not aware of that, as I had not seen the 90's animated series. Is it any good (aside from the Mandarin plotline)?

Quote:
Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #198
The Question

Quote:
I was not aware of that, as I had not seen the 90's animated series. Is it any good (aside from the Mandarin plotline)?
The first season is pretty bad, but the second season is pretty good. Season one had a much lower budget and was basically a super episodic He-Man rip off with Iron Man and the West Coast Avengers (called Force Works in the show) standing in for the Masters of the Universe, The Mandarin and Iron Man's rogue's gallery standing in for Skeletor and his minions, and Tony Stark's armory standing in for Castle Greyskull. Season two saw a serious budget increase and focused more on serialized story arcs about Tony's psychological problems and The Mandarin engaging in much more subtle and threatening schemes that had less to do with stealing Tony's armor and more to do with killing people and conquering third world nations.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #199
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Interesting. I will check it out.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #200
The Question

I think the change in the opening sequences is a real indicator in the improvement from season one to season two.

Season one intro:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Season two intro:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: