The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
Spidey-Lad93
Side-Kick

Default A deal Fox should make with Marvel idea

A deal which allows Fox to continue their movies while Marvel creates their Own Netflix X Men series

Spidey-Lad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Default Re: A deal Fox should make with Marvel idea

Eh pass. I'd rather wait for months and years for another X-Men movie than to use my spare time watching a X'-Men Tv show that looks so made for Tv and limited to the characters they could introduce.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
SuperFerret
King of the Urban Jungle

Eh pass. I'd prefer the X-Men be kept in their own world and not intermingle with what Marvel's building. It's called a quarantine.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Kermit_The_Frog
Whip-laaaashh

Meh, pass. I'm fine with the X-Men at Fox.

Kermit_The_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Spidey-Lad93
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit_The_Frog View Post
Meh, pass. I'm fine with the X-Men at Fox.
They still make the movies with Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart etc while Marvel make a TV series Kind of like Days of Future past and Age of Ultron both has Quicksilver they can share the characters

Spidey-Lad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

The best deal, were one to be negotiated, would be for Marvel to sell FOX the television licensing rights to the X-Men so FOX could make their own television show using the characters.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #7
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The best deal, were one to be negotiated, would be for Marvel to sell FOX the television licensing rights to the X-Men so FOX could make their own television show using the characters.
I don't see Marvel selling valuable TV rights in a straight cash transaction. The company is obviously not hurting financially, and their track record at launching (or relaunching) successful franchises - Guardians and Daredevil in the last year alone - would require character rights coming back to Marvel for a deal to make sense. Would FOX give up the FF character family if Fant4stic flops? Perhaps.

Additionally, since FOX announced that they were in negotiations for an X-Men TV show Marvel launched a successful Netflix series and put two other shows in various states of production. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision was made to keep their exclusivity regarding Marvel TV content.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Sithborg
I simply am.

The live action rights are at a stalemate right now. Neither can do anything without the other's go ahead, leaving all the money on the table, no matter how much Marvel may receive.

If Fox and WB can work out a deal about the old Batman show and apparently Fox and LFL/Disney can work out a deal for digital distribution, I don't see why it seems unfathomable that Fox and Marvel can work out a deal.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithborg View Post
The live action rights are at a stalemate right now. Neither can do anything without the other's go ahead, leaving all the money on the table, no matter how much Marvel may receive.

If Fox and WB can work out a deal about the old Batman show and apparently Fox and LFL/Disney can work out a deal for digital distribution, I don't see why it seems unfathomable that Fox and Marvel can work out a deal.
There was really no downside for either party in the other deals - just a disagreement on how to split up the millions. Cutting a TV deal with FOX, however, involves real risk. Marvel now has 9 television shows in various stages of production. DC has about eleventy billion. Adding to an already saturated marketplace for comicbook TV shows could draw viewers away from Marvel's in house programming.

And unlike the movies, Marvel has exclusive rights to Marvel TV programming. I think that would be difficult to give up. A deal may still be made, but I think that Marvel's recent TV announcements - Daredevil Season 2, AOS spinoff and the John Ridley show (Ms. Marvel?) - decreases the odds.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

A deal between marvel and fox on anything is unlikly to happen.Fox and disney can reach deals as the star wars on digital proves.marvel is whole different story.Marvel's attitude is to screw over X-Men and FF as much as possable since they don't have live action film rights.Merchandize and no animiated shows prove this.FF has been cancled.wolverine killed off.deadpool to follow.Quicksilver and scarlet witch no longer connected to X-Men side of marvel universe.who knows what post-secret wars X-Men will look like.

When FF becomes modest hit some can give up their fantasy of fox trading FF for marvel approving one tv show.Even though marvel does all they can to kill X-Men's chances at box office they still get 10 % of film profitsIf there was merchandize for films marvel would get majority of profits but they won't since fox would get a small cut and it helps promates film.

People around go and defend marvel as just business.Well Fox Is In business of making money too.Easy to forget Fox making X-Men help revie the genre and if people really think without success of X-Men-fox and Spider-man-Sony there would have been a marvel studios they are fooling themselves.

After all crap thrown at fox over quicksilver in DOFP some are saying the Singer version of quicksilver is better than the whedon version
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The singer version will be returning for apocalypse while whedon killed quicksilver off in Age of ultron

Fox has 3 x related films coming in 2016.Sorry but doing deadpool r rated and with ryan reynolds as star with his track record is bigger risk than most other studios.And if Colossus in deadpool is entirly inarmour during film maybe that can convince people Of other films including main X-Men films to actualy show characters In makeup or outfits with masks more.

Fox also has wolverine and FF2 slated for 2017.Their concern is to be successful for fox not to kiss marvel's butt like sony did.It seems like Sony basicly gave away spider-man withe xception of distributing Solo Spider-man films since Sony is never brought up in reports of spider-man film.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
def28
Side-Kick

If they can make a show as good as Daredevil I don't give a **** what they do. Everyone would watch it, and if it's good then there's no issue. Only the few fans who hold studio bias would whine. Good shows are good shows regardless who makes them.

That said, a deal needs to be made for Fox to make whatever they want while Marvel benefits a bit more. Too much to gain with both then what's on the table currently.

Last edited by def28; 04-22-2015 at 05:58 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
If they can make a show as good as Daredevil I don't give a **** what they do. Everyone would watch it, and if it's good then there's no issue. Only the few fans who hold studio bias would whine. Good shows are good shows regardless who makes them.

That said, a deal needs to be made for Fox to make whatever they want while Marvel benefits a bit more. Too much to gain with both then what's on the table currently.
FOX actually has an advantage over Marvel/Disney in that they own a Network that features prestige cable programs like "The Americans" and "Justified". X-23 on FX could be huge. I'm still hoping a deal is reached, but Marvel's recent programming expansion is giving me pause.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Smilodon
Side-Kick

I wonder if Fox and Marvel have ever considered sharing the Surfer and Galactus. The two are much too valuable to give up for Fox, but sharing them in order to let them flesh out Marvel's side of the universe in exchange for merch or TV rights or whatever seems rather fair? They're inter-dimensional beings so we could just treat them as bouncing from one reality to another.

Smilodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
FOX actually has an advantage over Marvel/Disney in that they own a Network that features prestige cable programs like "The Americans" and "Justified". X-23 on FX could be huge. I'm still hoping a deal is reached, but Marvel's recent programming expansion is giving me pause.
Agreed.

...and X-23 TV show, I dig that idea alot

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 PM   #15
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
I wonder if Fox and Marvel have ever considered sharing the Surfer and Galactus. The two are much too valuable to give up for Fox, but sharing them in order to let them flesh out Marvel's side of the universe in exchange for merch or TV rights or whatever seems rather fair? They're inter-dimensional beings so we could just treat them as bouncing from one reality to another.
Any deal between FOX and Marvel would likely involve the Surfer. Feige has been trying to get Norrin into the MCU for a while.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #16
Smilodon
Side-Kick

I know Feige has wanted both the Devourer of Worlds and his Herald in the MCU for awhile, but since he didn't get a straight up trade of those two with the rights to DD, I was wondering if both sides ever considered sharing the characters? It feels like a good compromise tbh. But I guess there's differing perspective on how much the Surfer and Galactus are worth in comparison to say, full merchandising rights and or TV rights to the X-Men.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #17
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
I know Feige has wanted both the Devourer of Worlds and his Herald in the MCU for awhile, but since he didn't get a straight up trade of those two with the rights to DD, I was wondering if both sides ever considered sharing the characters? It feels like a good compromise tbh. But I guess there's differing perspective on how much the Surfer and Galactus are worth in comparison to say, full merchandising rights and or TV rights to the X-Men.
Sharing a character is difficult if the universes are not shared - you end up with a "Dueling Quicksilver" arrangement in which Whedon has voiced his dissatisfaction. Pietro and Peter are different enough, but both Norrins are going to look an awful lot alike. I don't think that would fly.

My guess is negotiations are tabled untill Fant4stic hits theaters. If it flops, FOX may be willing to give up the rights to the entire FF character family in exchange for full TV rights to the X-Men character family. Perhaps the agreement will include tie in merchandise as well. If FF makes money we may still get a deal, but it would be much more limited in scope.

Last edited by Zarex; 04-23-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
Sullstar
Side-Kick

Getting the Silver Surfer could propel the Defenders from a Netflix series to the big screen very quickly.

Sullstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
Orba
Side-Kick

The Silver Surfer would never work in the Defenders, he is at a completely different power level to the other characters planned for that series. They are street level heroes, he is a cosmic traveler.

Orba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Not only that with a TV show budget, I dont think they could deliver amazing vfx without raising the budget.

psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
Smilodon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Sharing a character is difficult if the universes are not shared - you end up with a "Dueling Quicksilver" arrangement in which Whedon has voiced his dissatisfaction. Pietro and Peter are different enough, but both Norrins are going to look an awful lot alike. I don't think that would fly.

My guess is negotiations are tabled untill Fant4stic hits theaters. If it flops, FOX may be willing to give up the rights to the entire FF character family in exchange for full TV rights to the X-Men character family. Perhaps the agreement will include tie in merchandise as well. If FF makes money we may still get a deal, but it would be much more limited in scope.
I feel like if they just discuss how to use the Surfer it would be fine. He is an interdimensional travel, we could say how he transverses between the MCU and the Fox Cinematic Universe. Quicksilver may have just been a 'heads up Feige, we're gonna use him too', but if they discuss it beforehand it might be work out.

But again, this situation might be too idealized.