The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man Sequels

View Poll Results: What characters can you see getting their own spin-off films?
Venom 14 87.50%
Black Cat 11 68.75%
The Prowler 4 25.00%
Morbius 4 25.00%
Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew or other) 8 50.00%
Miles Morales 3 18.75%
Ben Reilly 3 18.75%
Silver Sable 4 25.00%
Jean DeWolffe 1 6.25%
Flash Thompson/Agent Venom 6 37.50%
Madame Web 1 6.25%
Anti-Venom 1 6.25%
Other (Please Post) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Spin-Offs

There has been talk about building Spider-Man's cinematic universe, and part of the plan is to make Spider-Man spin-offs. Let's discuss what spin-offs you would like to see, and when they should be released.

Other studios release multiple Marvel movies per year, so I imagine that Sony wants to do the same since Spider-Man & those under his umbrella are the only characters available to this studio.

The Amazing Spider-Man 3 is locked in for 2016, while the fourth is set to come out in 2018. Does anyone think that a spin-off is possible to come out in between or after those films come out?

Here is a list of characters who could get their own movies either in the foreseeable future or further down the road:

Venom
Black Cat
The Prowler
Cloak and Dagger
Silver Sable
Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew)
Morbius
Miles Morales

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Peterporker912
Newbie First Class

Default Re: Spin-Offs

I think green goblin could get one actually
very diverse character could follow after the comics

Peterporker912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Picard Sisko

I don't think Green Goblin should get one. He is a villain, period.

Prowler is a character that could work IMO. He starts as a villain but turns into a good guy. It should also be noted that he is Miles Morales' uncle, so perhaps he could be used to introduce that character later on in the film series if they ever wanted to go in that direction.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Dr. Evil
Gamora

I think the Prowler would need to be introduced in the ASM film series first. Maybe not as Prowler, but as Hobie Brown.

He would make a good spin-off option and maybe could lead to them being ahead of Marvel Studios (or even Warner Brothers) in having a black led Superhero movie.

I think it'll probably be Black Cat and Venom.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I think the Prowler would need to be introduced in the ASM film series first. Maybe not as Prowler, but as Hobie Brown.

He would make a good spin-off option and maybe could lead to them being ahead of Marvel Studios (or even Warner Brothers) in having a black led Superhero movie.

I think it'll probably be Black Cat and Venom.
Agreed.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Venom is the most obvious and easy one, but I'd love to see Prowler.

I'm not at all convinced Sony has Spider-Woman, she has nothing to do with Spider-Man whatsoever (well, outside the Ultimate version).

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Dr. Evil
Gamora

So, does Marvel/Disney have the merchandising rights to the spin offs? Or is it only those in the ASM movies?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Picard Sisko

If they go the Ultimate route, Spider-Woman is just a female clone of Peter Parker, but then again that might be too weird to put on screen. A female Andrew Garfield? Unless they just use Peter's DNA to create a female version of Spider-Woman that is different but only shares a few physical characteristics.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
So, does Marvel/Disney have the merchandising rights to the spin offs? Or is it only those in the ASM movies?
Marvel/Disney has the merchandising rights to ANY Spider-Man related property. That includes spin-offs.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
If they go the Ultimate route, Spider-Woman is just a female clone of Peter Parker, but then again that might be too weird to put on screen. A female Andrew Garfield? Unless they just use Peter's DNA to create a female version of Spider-Woman that is different but only shares a few physical characteristics.
It is extremely weird. I enjoyed it, but it can definitely play creepy if you don't play it for straight comedy. I can't even think of any bodyswitching comedies that switch male and female, as that's what is essentially going on.

But obviously, they'd have to handwave that the girl doesn't actually look quite like a female version of Garfield. They can handwave it though, if she's reasonably close, no harm no foul.

Another thing about these spinoffs, is that if their powerset is exactly like Spidey's then they lose some of their potential appeal. For Jessica Drew, for instance, I would put her closer to her 616 powerset as opposed to using up moves and action and stuff that could be saved for the next ASM film.

But again, not quite convinced. I don't think Marvel has access to Beast just because he was an Avenger for a bit way back. I don't think Fox has access to Carol Davners despite how much time she spent superheroing around with them.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Picard Sisko

I think they should focus on spin-offs that are different enough from the Spider-Man films, except for maybe Venom. So maybe a Spider-Woman spin-off (as well as a Ben Reilly) is too much. It might spoil us when we finally do get to the main film series.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about the power sets. At the same time though, who else are they going to make films out of? All of Spidey's heroes are very similar abilities-wise.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Dr. Evil
Gamora

My top three picks are Venom, Black Cat and Prowler.

Although, any other options I don't mind as long as one of them isn't Rocket Racer.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Black Cat, Venom, Morbius.

There should be a option for Crane Dad!

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I wouldn't mind Morbius getting his own spin-off.

I love what they did with Morbius in the 90's series. I think he could be in a future Spider-Man film. Introduce Felicia Hardy along with it.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Picard Sisko

I was never a huge fan of Morbius so its hard for me to say if I want him on the big screen.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
Picard Sisko

When do you guys think we will start seeing spin-offs? In between TASM3 and 4, or after?

Since Spidey is Sony's biggest property, I think there will be a point when they start releasing a Spider-Man related film every year.

A Spider-Man film one year, a spin-off in the next, and so on. Anyone agree?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Super Jim
Side-Kick

None!

Black Cat is a secondary character that only us fanboys know. She'll be great in The Amazing Spiderman franchise, but not on her own. Plus everyone would be like "this is the samething as Catwoman", and we all know how well that worked out.

Morbius is a second rate villain as compared to Venom, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, etc. Great storyline, but let's be honest, the whole vampire thing has been overdone.

Venom is a great villain and really deserves to be the main villain in an Amazing Spiderman movie. I would love to see TASM5 all about Venom, which would then lead into TASM6: Maximum Carnage! If there was one character that could get their own movie it would be Venom, but the whole Anti-Hero concept would be tough. Might work for a Deadpool, where there would be plenty of humor (breaking the 4th wall, etc.), but I'm not so sure about Venom.

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Picard Sisko

Just because a character isn't well known doesn't mean he/she can't get a spin-off. The idea is to introduce them in a main Spider-Man film and get the audiences attached to the character first. Then a spin-off could happen.

I really want a Prowler movie!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
GoldGoblin
Side-Kick

For a Venom spinoff,just copy the movie Chronicle.Have three kids find the symbiotes who get these powers,and one of them uses his for evil,and one of the kids tries to stop him.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ The Prowler is beyond obscure. How would he ever be introduced in this incarnation of Amazing Spider-man?

Right now the direction is pretty clear. There is just so much that needs to be dealt with in TASM2, 3 and 4. Here's a quick list:

- Electro
- Harry/Hobgoblin
- Gwen's death
- Norman Osborn's illness
- Harry's dad and mom
- Norman possibly being the Green Goblin
- The Man in the Shadows
- The Rhino
- The Black Cat
- MJ
- The Sinister Six

And I'm sure there will be much more that I'm not thinking of. The point is that with characters like Rhino, Electro, Hobgoblin, Vulture, Doc Ock, Black Cat, etc.; all still needing to be dealt with, how would they ever get The Prowler in there. And even more importantly... why?

The same could be said for Venom. Like I said earlier, Venom deserves to be the villain in his own flick. He can't become the anti-hero that makes him worthwhile until that happens, and all of that would require at a minimum one full movie. Think about the whole Eddie Brock thing, the symbiote, the black suit, getting rid of the black suit, the suit bonding with Brock, Brock becoming a villain, Spidey taking him down, etc. That's a full movie in itself.

If you really think about Venom, without Spidey first wearing the "suit" and the GA being shown the pros and cons of the suit, leading to Peter making the decision to get rid of it, and then it fighting back, it's just another villain. The symbiote, and the relationship it had with Peter, and then the new relationship with Brock, is what makes Venom so good. Just having some black goo affect three kids and then one of them trying to stop the bad one isn't the story of the Spider-man symbiote and Venom. Venom is a great story, IF done the right way.

Of course, if they did it right Venom wouldn't be until 2020 at the earliest. If they just force Venom into the Sinister Six they are doing the character and the story an injustive!

The truth is there is just one character/group that could maybe, possibly, be good enough for it's own movie, while living in the Amazing Spider-man universe. And that would be Silver Sable and Wild Pack...

First, you'd have a sexy, white haired anti-hero leading a group of mercenaries, all with pretty interesting personalities...

You could include a cameo by the webslinger to show the expanded universe...

You'd get Amy Chen, the Vietnamise, blade wielding, possible lesbian with affections towards Silver Sable...

You'd get Powell, the soldier with a high level of stamina, who is a sexist and a racist...

You'd get Quentino, the tech expert...

And you could get the reimagined, re-casted, Sandman!

This could actually work!!!!!

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I have no anticipation for Spider-Man spin-offs though I will still watch it in theater just out of curiosity and its a Marvel film. I just don't think it would be very appealing to mainstream viewers.

For this poll, I voted for Venom and Black Cat.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I was never a huge fan of Morbius so its hard for me to say if I want him on the big screen.
I think he was actually supposed to appear in Blade 2. There's an alternate ending in the first Blade movie that showed a figure on the roof top. It was intended to be Morbius.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I think he was actually supposed to appear in Blade 2. There's an alternate ending in the first Blade movie that showed a figure on the roof top. It was intended to be Morbius.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Oh wow, that's cool if its really him! Reminds me of the Punisher appearance in SM2.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Picard Sisko

@ Super Jim, characters like Venom, Black Cat, the Prowler, etc., would be introduced AFTER this current storyline.