The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Goyer writing the script for the first Superman Batman film
His work on MOS was VERY GOOD. He'll do GREAT. 27 20.45%
His work on MOS was OKAY. I am Skecptical. 30 22.73%
His work on MOS was POOR. I feel dread. 32 24.24%
He NEEDS Affleck's help and guidance to deliver a great script 43 32.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #801
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

I think having some self-awareness might make the movie more tolerable for some people. These films about men flying wearing capes and men dressing up as bats to go out at night filmed with the seriousness of Schindler's List instead of suppressing the absurdity push it into the realm of ludicrousness.

I nearly went blind with the no. of times my eyes rolled in TDKR.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #802
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I think you can still have a serious FANTASY story, that being said, I think they should introduce more levity to DC movies, so that they aren't known as just grim stories.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #803
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The 'majority" of fans hated the previous spiderman trilogy because it failed to feature "wise-cracking" and web shooters...
seems like fans simply aren't the most prudent at criticizing films. Where do you think the person in question falls.

You could have literally just said TDK.
Strawman works both ways it seems.
Even TDK had the hockey pants line.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #804
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
how was that funny?
They were wearing hockey pants/pads(?).

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #805
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ I think you can still have a serious FANTASY story, that being said, I think they should introduce more levity to DC movies, so that they aren't known as just grim stories.
I think the Lord of the Rings trilogy is a great example of something that takes it self very seriously but still provides the occasional belly laugh.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #806
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
how was that funny?
They were wearing hockey pants/pads(?).
Which unto itself was funny. Compared to the "it's an S" line in Man of Steel (the comedic center of that film), the hockey pants line was Downey level quipping.

I will agree with you though, that in general, fans suck at criticizing these films. Superman not having underwear on over his suit, or snapping Zod's neck is not a "weakness." It's a deviation.

Last edited by KangConquers; 10-07-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #807
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm curious if your line of thinking ends with MoS not having any such light lines in it's final screenplay? I would think it did, even from the character amidst his finding self arc.

And like Roach said, that hockey pads line was technically an accurate observation, not so much a quip(surely you could have used a better example).

Old 10-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #808
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
I'm curious if your line of thinking ends with MoS not having any such light lines in it's final screenplay? I would think it did, even from the character amidst his finding self arc.

And like Roach said, that hockey pads line was technically an accurate observation, not so much a quip(surely you could have used a better example).
As were the "It's an 'S'" and "he's kinda hot" lines. Technically both were accurate observations. Not meant to be understood as humourous at all.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #809
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
As were the "It's an 'S'" and "he's kinda hot" lines. Technically both were accurate observations. Not meant to be understood as humourous at all.
funny how I brought up TDK in the first place.

That being said, there is something to be said for delivery.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #810
roach
I am the night

There were a few comedic lines in Man of Steel...
"Nice suit, son."
"Superman. That's what their calling the alien. Superman."
"I know you are trying to find out where I hang my cape."
"It wouldn't be much of a surrender if...."

Funny scenes:
The trucker
Superman being interrogated

I think with a character like Superman that most people think is a joke in order to change their minds you need to be a little bit serious with.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #811
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
funny how I brought up TDK in the first place.
Even though it's got "Dark" in it's title, it's not nearly as po-faced as Man of Steel.

Quote:
That being said, there is something to be said for delivery.
Riiiiight

Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #812
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
"Nice suit, son."

Funny scenes:
The trucker

I think with a character like Superman that most people think is a joke in order to change their minds you need to be a little bit serious with.

Which is perfectly understandable, but at times, it just felt as though they pushed it a bit too far.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #813
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
"Nice suit, son."

Funny scenes:
The trucker

I love when Clark recognizes Pete in the IHOP

Old 10-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #814
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Which is perfectly understandable, but at times, it just felt as though they pushed it a bit too far.
I don't think they did though. Superman is not the quipper. The Earth is about to be changed and all humans killed off...to me that doesn't seem like there could have been a light moment. Superman has always been that serious character. In the comics I have read I can't remember the last funny thing I've read in a Superman comic.
Funny moments should come from people's reactions to Superman. Is there room for more lightheartedness...probably but I hope it doesn't get to Avengers levels.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #815
STARMAN
Side-Kick

There's always a fine line between adding levity without becoming campy. Same thing with being serious without becoming dour.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #816
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Quote:
I don't think they did though. Superman is not the quipper. The Earth is about to be changed and all humans killed off...to me that doesn't seem like there could have been a light moment. Superman has always been that serious character. In the comics I have read I can't remember the last funny thing I've read in a Superman comic.
Funny moments should come from people's reactions to Superman. Is there room for more lightheartedness...probably but I hope it doesn't get to Avengers levels.
I'm not asking for quips (and never suggested such), wise cracking or outright comedy. As you said, just a bit more light-heartedness. I understand that Snyder was trying to subvert expectations of the character of Superman, but he took it almost too far.

Even the Nolan batfilms were full of lighthearted, subtly comedic moments. The Man of Steel franchise should not be comparable in tone to the Marvel films, but a bit of levity here and there would help immensely.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #817
Marvin
Side-Kick

As seen in the animated series, when superman faces a serious issue(see darksied episodes), the smiles tend to be kept to a minimum. When dealing with batman in the worlds finest episodes.....

The film itself had plenty of levity, I even recall the pee bucket dialogue getting laughs in the theater and criticism on the forums, a classic sign of humor these days.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #818
roach
I am the night

Quote:
As seen in the animated series, when superman faces a serious issue(see darksied episodes), the smiles tend to be kept to a minimum. When dealing with batman in the worlds finest episodes.....

The film itself had plenty of levity, I even recall the pee bucket dialogue getting laughs in the theater and criticism on the forums, a classic sign of humor these days.
I am willing to bet that BvsS will also have minimal funny moments but they will come from Clark at the Daily Planet and Clark and Bruce meeting. This could rise based on whom the villains are.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #819
jimbob
Side-Kick

Making MOS lighter - "I just flew in from Sri Lanka and saw a really cool shawarma place. Yuck yuck!" "What was I supposed to do, just let them die? Tell them 'Welcome to Waterworld?'" "Sorry about the doorknob incident, teach. Now about that social studies grade..." ""You will need to wear a breather. Our ship's atmosphere is not suitable for humans.' 'Oh, man. The way you were leaning towards her I thought maybe, you know... I AM Superman.'" "Oh, you said CODEX! I wondered why you didn't just go to the drugstore!" ""A good death is its own reward.' 'A knife? Seriously?! What were you thinking, Colonel?'" "You're a monster, Zod; and your fly is undone." "Whoa...I guess we kind of did some property damage with that whole alien turf war thing. Will you take a check?" I got a million of 'em, and they ALL suck! Yeah, the movie wouldn't have been better. The people spending hour after hour here complaining about it 4 months later seem to fall into the category of Marvel-loving haters, trolls, the self-important, or butt-hurt old schoolers who still pine for red trunks.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #820
Marvin
Side-Kick

The joke about kissing a human vs an alien didn't seem to go over well with many of the detractors, levity in crisis et all.

tough crowd.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #821
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
"Nice suit, son."

Funny scenes:
The trucker

Don't forget "stand back, a little further"

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #822
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Making MOS lighter - "I just flew in from Sri Lanka and saw a really cool shawarma place. Yuck yuck!" "What was I supposed to do, just let them die? Tell them 'Welcome to Waterworld?'" "Sorry about the doorknob incident, teach. Now about that social studies grade..." ""You will need to wear a breather. Our ship's atmosphere is not suitable for humans.' 'Oh, man. The way you were leaning towards her I thought maybe, you know... I AM Superman.'" "Oh, you said CODEX! I wondered why you didn't just go to the drugstore!" ""A good death is its own reward.' 'A knife? Seriously?! What were you thinking, Colonel?'" "You're a monster, Zod; and your fly is undone." "Whoa...I guess we kind of did some property damage with that whole alien turf war thing. Will you take a check?" I got a million of 'em, and they ALL suck! Yeah, the movie wouldn't have been better. The people spending hour after hour here complaining about it 4 months later seem to fall into the category of Marvel-loving haters, trolls, the self-important, or butt-hurt old schoolers who still pine for red trunks.

Just because your lines suck doesn't mean an actual screen writer couldn't have done something. The dialog in MoS was often clunky and wooden. Dialog is supposed to represent the way people actual converse, not Saturday morning cartoon level speechifying, and plot point illumination.

There were several things I loved about MoS, The dialog just was not one of them.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #823
king666
(¨‿¨)

Quote:
Just because your lines suck doesn't mean an actual screen writer couldn't have done something. The dialog in MoS was often clunky and wooden. Dialog is supposed to represent the way people actual converse, not Saturday morning cartoon level speechifying, and plot point illumination.

There were several things I loved about MoS, The dialog just was not one of them.
Agreed. Almost every line of dialogue in this movie was a "speech".

Ah, man... the more I think about it the more I fear for BvsS.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #824
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post

Jor-El especially, felt like he was always at a podium.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #825
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by king666 View Post

Quote:
Jor-El especially, felt like he was always at a podium.
So more or less the same as Brando, only with more detractors.