The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #201
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 70,966
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

So it makes just about as much sense as your continuing presence in this thread.


__________________
Dear Everyone Experiencing The So-Called "Batman Fatigue",

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #202
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,325
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Which you prolonged by responding to my posts. I don't understand why you're so offended. Just because I'm not interested in the series right now doesn't mean I won't be in the future (or wasn't in the past). I can see the appeal of the premise.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #203
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 70,966
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

I'm not really offended, I'm just bored.

__________________
Dear Everyone Experiencing The So-Called "Batman Fatigue",

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #204
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,325
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'm not really offended, I'm just bored handome.
Don't rub it in!

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #205
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 70,966
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Aww

__________________
Dear Everyone Experiencing The So-Called "Batman Fatigue",

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #206
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,865
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

I would prefer they distance it from the film-verse. This could be a breath of fresh air and I would prefer the series not become bogged down with the already-problematic DC filmverse.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #207
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 70,966
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I would prefer they distance it from the film-verse. This could be a breath of fresh air and I would prefer the series not become bogged down with the already-problematic DC filmverse.
That already-problematic thing that doesn't even really exist yet?

THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, I'M LOOKING FOR A FIGHT!!!!



__________________
Dear Everyone Experiencing The So-Called "Batman Fatigue",

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #208
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,865
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

I'm too tired to fight.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #209
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources
 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 70,966
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...ntial-timeline
Quote:
Gotham Has a Potential Timeline
Does the pilot episode center around a very familiar case to Batman fans?
by Jared Larson DECEMBER 2, 2013

It looks like we may have a timeline for FOX's upcoming Gotham TV series, about a younger James Gordon.

Bleeding Cool reports that they have inside information on the pilot for Gotham. According to their source in Warner Bros., “The pilot script for Gotham has Detective Jim Gordon trying to solve a very famous double homicide.”

Sounds like they might be taking a cue from Batman Begins, having a young Gordon investigate the deaths of Bruce Wayne's parents. While time-skips and flashbacks/flashforwards are certainly possible, setting the timeline that early would also give the showrunners an excuse to not feature Batman and the more colorful elements of his rogues gallery in every episode. That seems like a bummer at first, but this could potentially mean a deeper character study of Gordon and the Gotham City Police Department than we have ever seen on-screen. Considering how much baggage Gordon carries in the comics, Gotham could make for a fascinating drama. It could also introduce classic secondary characters like detectives Harvey Bullock and Renee Montoya into the realm of live-action.

__________________
Dear Everyone Experiencing The So-Called "Batman Fatigue",

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #210
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,128
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Just as many predicted and hoped.

If the show is connected to the films, I personally think the Wayne's case should be a flashback, and that the present day should be Batman year one, where there are rumblings of a vigilante in Gotham (offscreen). Then it would make sense for the 'freak' criminals to be popping up as well. Have flashbacks to various points over the last 20 years (including various incidents with a young troubled Bruce Wayne).

Have season 1 (Fall 2014-Spring 2015) end with Gordon finally meeting Batman (though the audience doesn't get a good look), building anticipation for his appearance in the Summer 2015 movie, which takes place ~10 years later (and with different, older actors).


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 12-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #211
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,990
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

That sounds fantastic.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #212
Afrobean
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 148
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Just as many predicted and hoped.
Huh?

More people were hoping for something more like Gotham Central (feat. Det. Jim Gordon). If they're starting the pilot with Bruce at 8 years old, they won't have room for basically ANY "Batman" characters apart from a young Jim Gordon. No major villains, no other heroes, etc. If they introduce Montoya or Bullock as Gordon's contemporaries without the context of Batman existing, it's almost pointless to have them at all. And no, speculation that there will be non-linear storytelling to get Gordon later when Bruce is an adult is baseless. What thematic reason in GORDON'S STORY would there be to start with the Waynes' murders only to jump 20 years forward to the time when Bruce is an adult? It makes sense in Batman Begins, since it's Bruce's story, but in Gordon's story, it would make no sense to start at the Waynes' murder unless they intended to stay there chronologically.

I don't want a procedural where facsimiles of the Gotham PD cast appear in an otherwise mundane setting. I want a police procedural SET IN THE DC UNIVERSE with all the trappings that come with that.

Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #213
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,128
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

people predicted that based on the information that it was going to be a young Gordon before Batman appears in Gotham.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #214
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,141
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
Huh?

More people were hoping for something more like Gotham Central (feat. Det. Jim Gordon). If they're starting the pilot with Bruce at 8 years old, they won't have room for basically ANY "Batman" characters apart from a young Jim Gordon. No major villains, no other heroes, etc. If they introduce Montoya or Bullock as Gordon's contemporaries without the context of Batman existing, it's almost pointless to have them at all. And no, speculation that there will be non-linear storytelling to get Gordon later when Bruce is an adult is baseless. What thematic reason in GORDON'S STORY would there be to start with the Waynes' murders only to jump 20 years forward to the time when Bruce is an adult? It makes sense in Batman Begins, since it's Bruce's story, but in Gordon's story, it would make no sense to start at the Waynes' murder unless they intended to stay there chronologically.

I don't want a procedural where facsimiles of the Gotham PD cast appear in an otherwise mundane setting. I want a police procedural SET IN THE DC UNIVERSE with all the trappings that come with that.
They could still introduce villains and heroes we know and love. Look at *shudder* Smallville. Clark didn't become Superman until his final 10 minutes of screentime, yet they'd introduced practically every villain and several heroes over the course of the intervening years. I'm not saying that's how I want these shows to go, but it's perfectly feasible.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #215
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11,008
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

I knew it. I said to a friend of mine when this was announced that the first case they show is Jim Gordon investigating will be Thomas and Martha Wayne's death.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #216
elsewhere
super
 
elsewhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,764
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This really does sound fantastic. I'm hoping for a Law & Order/CSI with maybe a hint of X-Files type show.

elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #217
RAE072
Samhain
 
RAE072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 944
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
They could still introduce villains and heroes we know and love. Look at *shudder* Smallville. Clark didn't become Superman until his final 10 minutes of screentime, yet they'd introduced practically every villain and several heroes over the course of the intervening years. I'm not saying that's how I want these shows to go, but it's perfectly feasible.
Except Clark was in his late teens in Smallville.

Bruce Wayne would be 8-10 in this tv show if Gordon is investigating the Wayne murders. In what way does it make sense for them to introduce heroes and villains we know and love before Bruce Wayne is even old enough to start TRAINING to be Batman?

And I love this bit from that article:

Quote:
setting the timeline that early would also give the showrunners an excuse to not feature Batman and the more colorful elements of his rogues gallery in every episode. That seems like a bummer at first, but this could potentially mean a deeper character study of Gordon and the Gotham City Police Department than we have ever seen on-screen.
Wow. That sounds like...Law and Order. But somehow more boring because of the POTENTIAL for the show that would be wasted on "crime drama procedural."

One of the great, great things about Gotham Central(other than the great writing and art) was how the GCPD dealt with being cops in a city like Gotham, with Batman and Joker and Two-Face and Mr. Freeze etc running around.

It was a great "here's what you DON'T see" kinda story in the Batman universe.

But if Gotham is just about Jim Gordon being a cop before Batman and before any villains(because yeah, it's ****ing ridiculous to have Batman's rogues gallery, even a handful of them, BEFORE Batman) and just occasionally following a lead on the Wayne Murders, then...yeah, that's boring a huge waste of a potentially awesome show.

Now, what they COULD do, if they actually wanted to separate themselves from all the other cookie cutter, boring police crime drama procedurals out there, is do it just like Gotham Central. Just keep the focus on the cops, and how they deal with Batman(always ever shown in the shadows or just off screen, so that way anybody could play him in the tv show and it wouldn't interfere with the movies) bringing in guys like Killer Croc or the Penguin or Scarecrow. Not huge A-List villains like Joker or Two-Face(WB'd probably want to save them for movies), but the lower rung of villains.

That's how they should do it. Gotham without Gotham super criminals is just Law and Order. And boy has that been done to death.

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #218
RAE072
Samhain
 
RAE072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 944
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

But hey, let's assume they DO introduce a bunch of villains before Batman shows up.

I assume the GCPD would apparently be able to handle these maniacs and monsters all by themselves since...no Batman.

Why would Batman even need to show up? What would the point of him be? If the GCPD can bring in Joker or Mr. Freeze or Clayface, why bother with Batman?

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #219
RAE072
Samhain
 
RAE072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 944
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Just as many predicted and hoped.

If the show is connected to the films, I personally think the Wayne's case should be a flashback, and that the present day should be Batman year one, where there are rumblings of a vigilante in Gotham (offscreen). Then it would make sense for the 'freak' criminals to be popping up as well. Have flashbacks to various points over the last 20 years (including various incidents with a young troubled Bruce Wayne).

Have season 1 (Fall 2014-Spring 2015) end with Gordon finally meeting Batman (though the audience doesn't get a good look), building anticipation for his appearance in the Summer 2015 movie, which takes place ~10 years later (and with different, older actors).
I missed this. THIS...this is good. I like this. It sounds so much better.

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #220
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11,008
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE072 View Post
But hey, let's assume they DO introduce a bunch of villains before Batman shows up.

I assume the GCPD would apparently be able to handle these maniacs and monsters all by themselves since...no Batman.

Why would Batman even need to show up? What would the point of him be? If the GCPD can bring in Joker or Mr. Freeze or Clayface, why bother with Batman?
That's the point they won't hence the need for Batsie to show up. The cops will be corrupt bar a few and the city will be a lot worse than when Batman shows up.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #221
RAE072
Samhain
 
RAE072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 944
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
That's the point they won't hence the need for Batsie to show up. The cops will be corrupt bar a few and the city will be a lot worse than when Batman shows up.
...what?

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #222
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11,008
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE072 View Post
...what?
Oh I thought you said why the need for Batman to show up if the Gotham police and Jim Gordon would be taking care of these villains. My point was they wouldn't win and things would get so bad that Bruce would feel the need to become Batman eventyally.

ignore me if I'm confusing you. I confuse myself half the time.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #223
RAE072
Samhain
 
RAE072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 944
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Oh I thought you said why the need for Batman to show up if the Gotham police and Jim Gordon would be taking care of these villains. My point was they wouldn't win and things would get so bad that Bruce would feel the need to become Batman eventyally.

ignore me if I'm confusing you. I confuse myself half the time.
If Jim Gordon is investigating the deaths of the Waynes, then Bruce is only 8-10 years old, meaning it'll take him 10 or more years to even be Year One ready.

If there are a bunch of Batman's rogues gallery running around already, and the police can't stop them, with no Batman in sight for a decade, Gotham is a pile of rubble and ash and dead bodies.

If there are a bunch of Batman's rogues gallery running around already and the police CAN stop them, then there is no point at all to Batman existing.

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #224
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound
 
Fallen Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11,008
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE072 View Post
If Jim Gordon is investigating the deaths of the Waynes, then Bruce is only 8-10 years old, meaning it'll take him 10 or more years to even be Year One ready.

If there are a bunch of Batman's rogues gallery running around already, and the police can't stop them, with no Batman in sight for a decade, Gotham is a pile of rubble and ash and dead bodies.

If there are a bunch of Batman's rogues gallery running around already and the police CAN stop them, then there is no point at all to Batman existing.
That's the point I don't think they can stop the folks of Gotham. Oh another point I don't think the villains have exactly reached the point of being infamous in this universe.

So for example Mr Freeze is still Victor Fries who's wife has just fallen ill and so hes' trying to find a way to cure her. He hasn't become Mr Freeze. I hope you get what i'm trying to say.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #225
RAE072
Samhain
 
RAE072's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 944
Default Re: "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
That's the point I don't think they can stop the folks of Gotham. Oh another point I don't think the villains have exactly reached the point of being infamous in this universe.

So for example Mr Freeze is still Victor Fries who's wife has just fallen ill and so hes' trying to find a way to cure her. He hasn't become Mr Freeze. I hope you get what i'm trying to say.
Then he's not a villain. And there's really no point in introducing him unless you're setting him up to become Mr. Freeze very soon AFTER introducing him.

And again, if he becomes Mr. Freeze without Batman around the GCPD have no chance at all in beating him.

And if they DO beat him as Mr. Freeze than there's no reason at all for Batman to exist in this tv show.

RAE072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.