The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Default Does Sony own film or live action rights for Spider-man?

Sony has clearly lost either TV rights or animation rights to the webhead, seeing as they can't do more episodes of Spectacular.

I want to know if Disney/Marvel can legally make an animated Spider-man movie, or if they can put Spider-man in AoS.

And, if Sony has film rights, could they create an Animated D2DVD Spiderman film?

Spooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Default Re: Does Sony own film or live action rights for Spider-man?

Sony has the live-action rights to spider-man and the supporting characters I don't know about animated full length movies though

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Spooderman
Side-Kick

So that means we're probably not seeing Spidey in AoS

But if Disney/Marvel wanted to make an Animated Spider-Man film could they? They might be using Mutants for Big Hero 6

Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
Sony has the live-action rights to spider-man and the supporting characters I don't know about animated full length movies though
So, what if Marvel just creates a photorealistic CGI Spider-Man for a live aciton movie instead? =P
Technically that's not live action...in terms of the character.haha

Old 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
So, what if Marvel just creates a photorealistic CGI Spider-Man for a live aciton movie instead? =P
Technically that's not live action...in terms of the character.haha
I'm guessing that all films released in theaters are off limits while direct to DVD movies are acceptable

Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Does this mean Sony Animation could make a Spider-Man film?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooderman View Post
That would be awesome. R.I.P Spectacular Spider-Man

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooderman View Post
Sony lost the animation rights to Spider-man so probably not.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sony lost the animation rights to Spider-man so probably not.
So you're saying that there can never be an animated Spider-Man film released in theaters by either party? That's too bad.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Sony sold off the TV rights, but still hold all film rights. So I think ABC can go off making a live-action Spider-Man TV show while Sony can make an animated Spider-Man film.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
So you're saying that there can never be an animated Spider-Man film released in theaters by either party? That's too bad.
That's what i was thinking but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Sony sold off the TV rights, but still hold all film rights. So I think ABC can go off making a live-action Spider-Man TV show while Sony can make an animated Spider-Man film.
Makes more sense, but that would be very different from the Fox deal since they have all live action rights to X-Men and F4

Last edited by Chance Jackson; 01-31-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's what i was thinking but...

Makes more sense
Well we know Sony won't make an animated movie any time soon. Their whole animation division went up in smoke.

And I feel that there would be a major conflict of interest with Sony if Disney were able to put out a live-action Spider-Man on TV. If they could, though, I would LOVE to see a guest appearance in the Daredevil series on Netflix. Like Daredevil, though, I just don't see it.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would LOVE to see a guest appearance in the Daredevil series on Netflix. Like Daredevil, though, I just don't see it.
but I see what you did there

Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Yep

Sony Sells TV Rights

But I agree that it would be a conflict of interest. Imagine if Marvel put out a Spider-Man TV series where he fights the Sinister Six this season, or if they had done one in 2010 when they first got the rights where Gwen Stacy died. If I were Sony I'd sue their pants off. That'd be so dirty. Marvel could basically beat Sony to the punch on every storyline and make Spider-Man movies hardly special at all.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
but I see what you did there
Yo, I did not get it. I was like "But a Daredevil series is announced, how can you not see it?!"

Old 01-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yo, I did not get it. I was like "But a Daredevil series is announced, how can you not see it?!"
I missed it the first time around as these things tend to go right over my head lol

Old 01-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yep

Sony Sells TV Rights

But I agree that it would be a conflict of interest. Imagine if Marvel put out a Spider-Man TV series where he fights the Sinister Six this season, or if they had done one in 2010 when they first got the rights where Gwen Stacy died. If I were Sony I'd sue their pants off. That'd be so dirty. Marvel could basically beat Sony to the punch on every storyline and make Spider-Man movies hardly special at all.
Yeah, great points. From the article:
"Only days before the huge news broke that Disney was buying Marvel, he had been told that Sony had relinquished all television rights to Spider-Man, including animation, in exchange for 'some concession vis-a-vis the live action Spider-Man features.'"
I imagine that "concession" has to do with Marvel not making any live-action TV version of Spider-Man as long as Sony keeps making Spider-Man movies.

Quote:
Quote:
I missed it the first time around as these things tend to go right over my head lol
Haha yeah... blind Daredevil humor. Kind of dark (literally?), but I learned it from ItsJustSomeRandomGuy.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Well we know Sony won't make an animated movie any time soon. Their whole animation division went up in smoke.
Sony Pictures Animation is still making movies. They just released Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 a couple of months ago and are currently working on Smurfs 3, Hotel Transylvania 2, Popeye, ALF, Manimal, Tonka, Harold and the Purple Crayon, and other projects.

Not only that, but even if they did shut down their animation division, they could still just hire some animation studio to do it like how Paramount hired ILM to do Rango or how Blockade Entertainment has hired Rainmaker to animate Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper.

Quote:
And I feel that there would be a major conflict of interest with Sony if Disney were able to put out a live-action Spider-Man on TV. If they could, though, I would LOVE to see a guest appearance in the Daredevil series on Netflix. Like Daredevil, though, I just don't see it.
Considering how the X-Men and Avengers franchises will have conflicting versions of Quicksilver, I don't think Disney is going to care if a live action Spider-Man series conflicts with what Sony is doing. As a matter in fact, I imagine them being quite irritated with Sony with the way they're moving with the Spider-Man franchise.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
Donut
Side-Kick

Disney should totally do a Spider-Man Live Action show. ABC, Netflix just get it done

Last edited by Donut; 01-31-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #20
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Considering how the X-Men and Avengers franchises will have conflicting versions of Quicksilver, I don't think Disney is going to care if a live action Spider-Man series conflicts with what Sony is doing. As a matter in fact, I imagine them being quite irritated with Sony with the way they're moving with the Spider-Man franchise.
While there have been reports of behind the scenes conflict between Marvel and FOX, which came to a head over the "dueling Quicksilvers", it appears as though the relationship with Sony is very strong. The two studios cut a deal back in 2011 in which Marvel paid $278 million for Sony's share of the Spider-Man Joint Venture and also gave up their remaining interest in Sony's Spidey movies. Sony also released the Ghost Rider rights immediately after the sequel flopped, as opposed to FOX which had clung to Daredevil and now the FF until the bitter end.

Though Marvel has not provided movie tie-in merchandise for the X-Men franchise subsequent to the Disney purchase, the Mouse had fully supported the last two Sony releases, and this March will be putting out an "Art Of" book for TASM, the first for a non Marvel Studios release. They also came close to collaborating on an Avengers movie easter egg, with OSCORP making an appearance in the skyline.

So while Marvel would certainly love having Spidey's movie rights, they are making lots of money from merchandise - Spider-Man is tops among superheroes in licensing revenue - animation, video games and the like. So long as both studios are raking in the dough, the relationship will be fine.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #21
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
While there have been reports of behind the scenes conflict between Marvel and FOX, which came to a head over the "dueling Quicksilvers", it appears as though the relationship with Sony is very strong. The two studios cut a deal back in 2011 in which Marvel paid $278 million for Sony's share of the Spider-Man Joint Venture and also gave up their remaining interest in Sony's Spidey movies. Sony also released the Ghost Rider rights immediately after the sequel flopped, as opposed to FOX which had clung to Daredevil and now the FF until the bitter end.

Though Marvel has not provided movie tie-in merchandise for the X-Men franchise subsequent to the Disney purchase, the Mouse had fully supported the last two Sony releases, and this March will be putting out an "Art Of" book for TASM, the first for a non Marvel Studios release. They also came close to collaborating on an Avengers movie easter egg, with OSCORP making an appearance in the skyline.

So while Marvel would certainly love having Spidey's movie rights, they are making lots of money from merchandise - Spider-Man is tops among superheroes in licensing revenue - animation, video games and the like. So long as both studios are raking in the dough, the relationship will be fine.
Agreed. I can't imagine why Disney would be irritated with Sony's ASM franchise. Bob Iger doesn't like the storyline?

Quote:
Yeah, great points. From the article:
"Only days before the huge news broke that Disney was buying Marvel, he had been told that Sony had relinquished all television rights to Spider-Man, including animation, in exchange for 'some concession vis-a-vis the live action Spider-Man features.'"
I imagine that "concession" has to do with Marvel not making any live-action TV version of Spider-Man as long as Sony keeps making Spider-Man movies.
Could be. Could be exclusive rights to Kingpin, or Spider-Woman, or something like that as well.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #22
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Considering what Disney is doing with the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, they aren't in the position to speak. Unless you're referring to how Sony is trying to expand the Spideyverse like the MCU did.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:18 AM   #23
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Why does everyone use USM as a reason for why Disney having Spider-Man would be bad? They're doing the same s*** with the Avengers cartoon, yet the Avenger movies are solid.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #24
Spooderman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Why does everyone use USM as a reason for why Disney having Spider-Man would be bad? They're doing the same s*** with the Avengers cartoon, yet the Avenger movies are solid.
I wouldn't use the MCU as a good reason for saying Disney is doing a good job with Marvel. The Avengers was the only great film they produced, the others were pretty much around average. Iron Man was great, but it was made before Disney purchased it. And I'd rather have a great Marvel TV show than great Marvel Movies, because there's a lot more you can do with a TV show.