The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #151
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Future TV shows from Marvel?

Sounds like a great idea, but with Loki there's the problem of cost, this could be quite expensive, while the actor is likelly to be involved in something on tv, with Black Widow and Hawkeye it's the reverse problems, i think the actors are probably way too expensive.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #152
OB12
Side-Kick

Wow, potentially 4 more TV shows to build the MCU, that sounds absolutely fantastic. If there is any truth to this, then I think a lot of the properties that have been discussed are fairly likely. This is what I would like to see:

Heroes for Hire - Both Cage and Iron Fist. I think this one could be done pretty easily on ABC, probably as a block with AoS.

Daredevil - Fits perfectly as a procedural and could work well on A&E.

Punisher - Put this one out on Netflix and bring back Thomas Jane, with his Punisher and short film as part of the continuity.

Blade - We need some supernatural Marvel, I'm thinking AMC for this one.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #153
Supermanreturns
Side-Kick

My personal thoughts.

Make Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as the series who introduced the characters.

1. Mockingbird
2. Daredevil
3. Heroes for Hire
4. Punisher

5. Agent Carter

Supermanreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #154
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Interesting to see what corners of the Marvel universe they try to bring to television. I feel like the agent Carter deal is almost a given, and I think GDT's hulk show has been shelved for the chance at a sequel on the big screen. With marvels newest aquisitions I think a Netflix based Punisher series would be a really brilliant idea. I also think Heroes for Hire would be a really solid property to translate to tv.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #155
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I think it's pretty clear that Heroes for Hire is a big fan favorite. For good reason, it's got strong characters that aren't quite big enough for the trilogy treatment, but they are affordable on a premium cable TV budget, throw in whatever's unused from the Jessica Jones TV show as supporting cast and ride that train for 16 episodes. A bit of a cop drama, but with the freelance flavor, like so many other shows before it. Very Robin Hood-ish in terms of the feel and theme of the team. Like Leverage or... Firefly. Just trying to pay bills, but really they're deep down about something much bigger.

Agent Carter has been in the rumor mill a bit, so that's been planned the longest. A period Agents of SHIELD didn't seem like a good idea to me at first, but on cable/VOD with a set 12 episodes to flesh out the background of SHIELD and the MCU at large. That almost has to happen, and Peggy Carter is the girl to put that on her shoulders.

Daredevil or Punisher are no-brainers. One of them should happen, but because of their similarity as street level heroes dealing with Marvel's mobsters, I wouldn't suggest both, even though as individuals, their characters are different, the MCU crime thriller story is pretty much the same. I would favor Daredevil, because honestly the Punishers we've seen so far have been pretty good already, and Daredevil offers that courtroom drama angle which could be quite awesome. Plus, Daredevil's got a better supporting cast and rogue's gallery in terms of Karen Page, Foggy Nelson, Elektra, Bullseye and yes, the Kingpin. 13 Episodes should bring this home in a powerful way.

I would strongly consider binding all these series together with the Kingpin as a cameo.

Black Widow with or without Hawkeye could also make for a very compelling miniseries. With 6 episodes, it'd be a lot like having her own couple of films in one setting, especially if the quality backed that up, which it very well could. A Hulk miniseries would be just as great, but I think it'd be far too Banner-centric, even on a premium TV budget. Also, Planet Hulk as a six episode mini-series might be very interesting if Marvel reconsidered that in this format.

That leaves 13 episodes? Cool. Honestly, it could go several ways. Using Hulk as a cameo you could do a She-Hulk thing, complete with courtroom drama like Daredevil if you end up doing punisher. You could bump Black Widow up to a full series, depending on the commitments and run Hawkeye as a separate miniseries. Power Pack, Runaways, and New Warriors all could do well with a TV incarnation. Speaking of Runaways, you could use this opportunity to do the stories that don't make the cut for Phase 3, like Captain Marvel, Black Panther or Inhumans.

But I think that last one might be my favorite, and the most likely to get a second season, so to speak. Inhumans, as a 13 episode sort of super powered Game of Thrones/X-Men fusion could be, in a word, awesome. It could also guest and explain the powers of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and create a really strong really diverse cast of memorable, dynamic characters that fill out a whole world that can rn parallel within the MCU without necessarily feeling like it needs to be part of the Avengers. People will want Luke Cage, Iron Fist, even Daredevil on the Avengers, like in the comics, which can cause an issue if the level of actor you can afford for VOD isn't the level of actor you want in a summer blockbuster... but no one is going to ask for Blackbolt to be on the Avengers, they understand instantly.

So yeah, mine is:
Heroes for Hire, 16 epis - cop drama with Iron Fist/Power Man buddy system
Agent Carter, 12 eps - origin story for the MCU
Daredevil, 13 eps - courtroom drama, street level heroics
Inhumans, 13 eps - Game of Thrones/X-Men fusion drama
Black Widow, 6 eps - Black Widow spy thriller

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #156
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I actually really like this idea...

Here's my suggestions:

Daredevil - AMC/NBC
Punisher - Netflix
Agent Carter - Showtime/ABC
Runaways - AMC

For the miniseries, what about Marvels?

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."

Last edited by Hyde; 10-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #157
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. View Post
Hawkeye & Black Widow mini-series would be excellent, as would a Loki mini-series just based on Hiddleston's performances so far.

Part of me wants Hawkeye/BW more, just because I feel like they've been a little underdeveloped in the movie franchise (in terms of backstory), but a Loki mini-series could be fun too. Having not read many Thor comics though, I think the challenge will be, how well you can separate Loki from Thor? I'm sure there are ways to do it, but I feel like the strength there is the on-again/off-again brotherly relationship. I'd be open to hearing ideas for a Loki mini-series, but I'm stumped for them myself at the moment.
Yeah, I don't think you can separate Loki's story from Thor's, and they certainly aren't going to move Hemsworth back to the small screen any time soon. I know Loki has a cult fanbase, and more Hiddleston is always a good thing, but I just can't see coming up with a whole new set of story threads and characters tied to Loki but *not* featuring the almost necessary tie-ins to Thor, Odin, Frigga, and Heimdall. And again, that's highly unlikely that you could recruit Hemsworth, Hopkins, Russo, and/or Elba for that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #158
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post

Daredevil or Punisher are no-brainers. One of them should happen, but because of their similarity as street level heroes dealing with Marvel's mobsters, I wouldn't suggest both, even though as individuals, their characters are different, the MCU crime thriller story is pretty much the same. I would favor Daredevil, because honestly the Punishers we've seen so far have been pretty good already, and Daredevil offers that courtroom drama angle which could be quite awesome. Plus, Daredevil's got a better supporting cast and rogue's gallery in terms of Karen Page, Foggy Nelson, Elektra, Bullseye and yes, the Kingpin. 13 Episodes should bring this home in a powerful way.

I would strongly consider binding all these series together with the Kingpin as a cameo.
I would also go with Daredevil. That has more potential than a vigilante Punisher TV series. Like you said, it can have all the courtroom stuff which could be riveting in its own right. It could be like Law & Order, or like JAG. That series would be in the courtroom one episode, and in the next it could have them either out on a military mission or doing some kind of spying/ investigation. It was very versatile.

DD would avoid the formulaic approach because you'd never know exactly which kind of drama you're getting from week to week. And we'd also get to see a story drawn out longer than just DD catching criminals. We'd see the repercussions of it and how these criminals are then prosecuted and brought to justice, with Matt Murdock now stepping in. But what could be a real controversial issue for him is if he catches the bad guy but then is somehow forced to defend them in court. As a lawyer, he'd have to do his best to get them acquitted, especially if, as a lawyer, he's committed to upholding the law as best as he can.

Maybe Black Widow could even guest star, as she did in his comics.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #159
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I forgot about BW and DD! Yeah, that could be more than a bit awesome. Different drama types in one show could be quite awesome as well. First he's playing detective with his senses, then he's beating down mobsters, then he's in the courtroom. You could do a lot of twisted stuff with that formula.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #160
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
That is a good point. I think I would lean towards DD as well, it just seems like such a natural fit for TV. Perhaps Punisher could get a multi-episode arc during the second season of this show.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #161
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I think even a whole storyarc on the trial of Wilson Fisk (if they ever could use him) would be absolutely fascinating. Imagine if he existed in real life and that trial were going on now. Think of all the stuff it would bring up about organised crime and all the fingers in various pies he has.

What would be really cool is if somehow Matt Murdock came up against Jennifer Walters in court. Jennifer could potentially be developed as a character in her own right before she ever even becomes She-Hulk. It doesn't have to be a regular role but just as an occasional guest star, because we know in these legal dramas how lawyers seem to keep coming up against each other.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #162
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think that these properties are reasonable candidates:
Daredevil (his civilian ID is just as interesting as his superhero one. You can develop the lawyer side and hero side better in a TV show).
The Punisher.
Heroes for Hire (you could add Jessica Jones and some ideas from the unproduced TV show, maybe even develop her romance with Luke).
Blade.
The Runaways (they work better as a TV show imo. There's more time to develop all of the characters).
MI 13.
Mockingbird: Agent of SHIELD.
Black Widow (mini-series).

Last edited by Loki882; 10-15-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #163
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Daredevil and Iron Fist are too good for TV. TV is okay for POS like SHIELD, but not for them.

The only show they need to do is a new X-Men animated series.
Yes, only POS are good for TV. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, The Blacklist, Homeland. Boy are those shows crap.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #164
Dr. Evil
Gamora

I would like to see it be (excluding Agent Carter):

- Heroes for Hire
- Punisher
- Daredevil
- Runaways
- Thunderbolts (if not Runaways)

And there could be connections to MCU without connecting to Shield. The ways this can happen:

Jennifer "She Hulk" Walters: She can either appear in Daredevil or Heroes for Hire. She's Bruce Banner's cousin, so there would be the MCU connection. She doesn't have to be She Hulk right off the bat. She can be the attorney for Heroes for Hire or oppose Matt Murdock in cases.

Misty Knight: We all know that in the comics, her bionic arm was made by Tony Stark. This could be mentioned on Heroes for Hire. They could also add a bonus by having that arm be made of Vibranium.

Victor Mancha: In the comics, his father is Ultron, who will be played by James Spader in the next Avengers movie. If he's not in Runaways, they will probably figure out a way to connect Runaways to MCU.

Punisher's Military Background: In the comics, he's a former member of the Marines. In MCU, they can make him a former member of the Air Force and make mention that he was once in the same unit as James Rhodes.

Thunderbolts: Several members of the group are already in MCU: Hawkeye, Black Widow, Crossbones, Betty Ross, General Ross and Samuel Sterns. They can also throw The Punisher into the group.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #165
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I really don't think that there is a need to tie everyone to someone else in the MCU, like how you've got everything connected. I'd personally find that annoying. Some things just need to stand on its own legs.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #166
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yes, only POS are good for TV. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, The Blacklist, Homeland. Boy are those shows crap.
I had a little debate with him about the MCU over on the Spider-Man forum. He believes that the entire MCU revolves around Shield. I told him that it does not revolve around Shield and Thor: The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy prove that and that Inhumans, Ant Man and Dr. Strange probably won't have any Shield connections either.

He didn't believe me. I guess we'll see when Thor: The Dark World comes out. I will most likely be right in the fact that Shield isn't going to be involved in TDW, because I don't see any reason that they would be. Same for Guardians. Plus, the connection between the MCU and the Inhumans is probably going to involve the appearance of Aaron Taylor Johnson and (maybe) Elizabeth Olsen.

If Ant Man faces off against AIM rather than a single villain, there's that film's connection to the rest of the MCU.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #167
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I really don't think that there is a need to tie everyone to someone else in the MCU, like how you've got everything connected. I'd personally find that annoying. Some things just need to stand on its own legs.
I know, I just want to prove a point to say "not everything in the MCU revolves around SHIELD" as some posters believe it is.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #168
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I know, I just want to prove a point to say "not everything in the MCU revolves around SHIELD" as some posters believe it is.
Ah gotcha, you are right though. I think plenty of properties can exist without being tied to shield all of the time.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #169
Loki882
Side-Kick

Having everything be in the MCU DOES NOT mean that everything will tie into each other. For now, GOTG seems to be it's own thing, but it's still in the MCU.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #170
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Having everything be in the MCU DOES NOT mean that everything will tie into each other. For now, GOTG seems to be it's own thing, but it's still in the MCU.
Kevin Feige said Thanos is the only connection between the Avengers and GOTG at this point.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #171
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I didn't know Disney partly owned Hulu. That seems like a prime platform for one of these shows. It will definitely help them compete with Netflix.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #172
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Didn't disney sign some deal with netflix earlier this year?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #173
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Agent Carter has been in the rumor mill a bit, so that's been planned the longest. A period Agents of SHIELD didn't seem like a good idea to me at first, but on cable/VOD with a set 12 episodes to flesh out the background of SHIELD and the MCU at large. That almost has to happen, and Peggy Carter is the girl to put that on her shoulders.
Agent Carter is probably locked into ABC and I doubt it's a part of this.

Quote:
But I think that last one might be my favorite, and the most likely to get a second season, so to speak. Inhumans, as a 13 episode sort of super powered Game of Thrones/X-Men fusion could be, in a word, awesome. It could also guest and explain the powers of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, and create a really strong really diverse cast of memorable, dynamic characters that fill out a whole world that can rn parallel within the MCU without necessarily feeling like it needs to be part of the Avengers. People will want Luke Cage, Iron Fist, even Daredevil on the Avengers, like in the comics, which can cause an issue if the level of actor you can afford for VOD isn't the level of actor you want in a summer blockbuster... but no one is going to ask for Blackbolt to be on the Avengers, they understand instantly.
I think Inhumans has already been locked for a movie.

Also I don't see where the Game of Thrones comparisons are coming from with Inhumans.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 10-15-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #174
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Yeah, I think Inhumans will not be a TV series but a movie.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #175
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
That is a good point. I think I would lean towards DD as well, it just seems like such a natural fit for TV. Perhaps Punisher could get a multi-episode arc during the second season of this show.
I've always thought Daredevil would be the perfect vehicle to work in all of Marvel's street level characters. We could see the origin and storyarcs of character like Moon Knight, Punisher, and Ronin all through Daredevil. That's basically how they handled it in the comics with Spider-Man.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote