The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Anybody paying attention? Even though I live in NC, I am paying attention...at Libertarian Robert Sarvis, whose campaign is well, doing quite well...all things considered.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...torial-battle/

Quote:
McAuliffe, a businessman, former Democratic National Committee chairman and close adviser to Bill and Hillary Clinton, holds a 43%-38% advantage over Cuccinelli, Virginia's attorney general, among likely voters in the NBC4/NBC News/Marist poll, with Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis at 8%.


In the Washington Post/Abt SRBI survey, McAuliffe is at 47%, with Cuccinelli at 39% and Sarvis at 10% among likely voters. McAuliffe's advantage in both polls is within the surveys' sampling errors.
I know the chances of him winning are not good, with him not expected to be in Wed's debate (two party system only, citing ''tradition'') and no word on next month's late debate (suppose to be a 10% threshold).

Sarvis, imho, is clearly the best man for the job. Doesn't have a scandal going against him like the other two for starters. Only man from Virginia in the race. He's highly educated as well. He was at 5% in June or July, so seeing him in multiple polls this month ranging from 7 to 11% is just awesome, when considering 10% in the election is ballot access for the LP in 2014 and 2016, which really saves time and money for the state party and national party.

Of course some could say the other two guys suck so bad, there's a chance there's gonna be one hell of a protest vote coming.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/daily-run...92671#53092671

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,406
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

It's an interesting development. He can't win, but he might change the outcome of the race.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
It's an interesting development. He can't win, but he might change the outcome of the race.

He didn't get to debate tonight

....


So he aired this ad during the debate on TV (Northern Virginia only) and soon it will air across the entire state.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


And considering the Democrat and Republican probably took pot shots at each other like they've been doing for months, probably makes the ad look even better to the viewers up there.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Hopefully all those libertarians(like the Koch brothers) who have issues with Obamacare looking up people's privates will put out campaign ads against the Cooch(who seems to like pushing bills to invade women's privates)

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Hopefully all those libertarians(like the Koch brothers) who have issues with Obamacare looking up people's privates will put out campaign ads against the Cooch(who seems to like pushing bills to invade women's privates)
The Koch brothers aren't stupid like Bloomberg. They aren't going to hurt the party that best suits their ideological goals. They'll use their money to try and shift the Cooch to their side. Although considering how awful of a candidate he is, I doubt he will.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
Anybody paying attention? Even though I live in NC, I am paying attention...at Libertarian Robert Sarvis, whose campaign is well, doing quite well...all things considered.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...torial-battle/


I know the chances of him winning are not good, with him not expected to be in Wed's debate (two party system only, citing ''tradition'') and no word on next month's late debate (suppose to be a 10% threshold).

Sarvis, imho, is clearly the best man for the job. Doesn't have a scandal going against him like the other two for starters. Only man from Virginia in the race. He's highly educated as well. He was at 5% in June or July, so seeing him in multiple polls this month ranging from 7 to 11% is just awesome, when considering 10% in the election is ballot access for the LP in 2014 and 2016, which really saves time and money for the state party and national party.

Of course some could say the other two guys suck so bad, there's a chance there's gonna be one hell of a protest vote coming.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/daily-run...92671#53092671
It's not tradition, debates are reserved for candidates who have a shot at well.....winning. It's a waste of people's time to listen to a candidate who has a 0% chance of winning. This has nothing to do with the two party system.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
The Koch brothers aren't stupid like Bloomberg. They aren't going to hurt the party that best suits their ideological goals. They'll use their money to try and shift the Cooch to their side. Although considering how awful of a candidate he is, I doubt he will.
As long as the Cooch goes after unions and trying to lower taxes, I am guessing the Koch brothers can give a rat's ass one way or another about people's privates(my comment was ment to be sarcastic)

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #8
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
It's not tradition, debates are reserved for candidates who have a shot at well.....winning. It's a waste of people's time to listen to a candidate who has a 0% chance of winning. This has nothing to do with the two party system.

Debates should be there to inform the public, to offer all voices being heard. In national contests (President), it should be done on ballot access.

As for him not being invited, I read somewhere where the debate itself said they uphold the two parties citing tradition. Meaning they've always had two people up there during a debate. He is likely to get in the final debate in late Oct.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Republican Ken Cuccinelli afraid of Libertarian Robert Sarvis polling 7-11%, wants final debate bar raised to keep Sarvis out.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/ken-cu...rticle/2536513


Quote:
Virginia Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli has asked organizers of a debate two weeks before Election Day to raise the threshold for a third-party candidate to participate, according to one of the debate sponsors.
What a sour grapes move. He's afraid of Sarvis.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,095
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Instead of going after Libertarians, the Cooch should try stop women from voting. I seen a poll that had him like 18% down when it comes to the ladies.

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Robert Sarvis gets a surge. 12.7% in Newsmax/Zogby Poll.


http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/cuc...9/30/id/528456


Quote:
One possible stumbling block for Cuccinelli is the strength of the third candidate, Libertarian nominee Robert Sarvis. When the Northern Virginia entrepreneur and attorney's name is put into the race, Zogby found nearly a 5-point edge for the Democrat with McAuliffe at 32.2 percent, Cuccinelli 27.4 percent, Sarvis 12.7 percent, and others 3.2 percent.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,313
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

You do know Zogby has had Is consired a bit of a joke. ANd even they have Mcauliffe
ahead. and most democrats I know consider Mcauliffe a weak candiate.He is winning because of the republicans.

__________________
Best Marvel films-X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man X-Men Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine X-Men first Class The Avengers Iron Man The Incredible Hulk
Best DC films-Superman Batman Returns Batman The Dark Knight Batman Begins Superman II The dark Knight Rises Superman Returns Watchmen
marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
You do know Zogby has had Is consired a bit of a joke. ANd even they have Mcauliffe
ahead. and most democrats I know consider Mcauliffe a weak candiate.He is winning because of the republicans.
McAuliffe is a terrible candidate. If he were going up against any other GOP candidate, he would probably lose as bad as Creigh Deeds did.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

The point I am making is that...Robert Sarvis is not losing support. He is gaining support. He gets 10% in the election, well...he becomes a rock star to the LP. Ballot access for the LP for 2014 and 2016 elections in Virginia, including 2016 ballot access for the LP Presidential Nominee. That is huge, saves money and time.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,313
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

I don't disagree Mcauliffe is terrable candidate.Many Dems think so.

If Sarvis get over 10 percent of vote that will be something.

__________________
Best Marvel films-X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man X-Men Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine X-Men first Class The Avengers Iron Man The Incredible Hulk
Best DC films-Superman Batman Returns Batman The Dark Knight Batman Begins Superman II The dark Knight Rises Superman Returns Watchmen
marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
The point I am making is that...Robert Sarvis is not losing support. He is gaining support. He gets 10% in the election, well...he becomes a rock star to the LP. Ballot access for the LP for 2014 and 2016 elections in Virginia, including 2016 ballot access for the LP Presidential Nominee. That is huge, saves money and time.
I am really not going to go into yet again why third parties will never be a success in the United States. I've already explained it to you a bajillion times.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I am really not going to go into yet again why third parties will never be a success in the United States. I've already explained it to you a bajillion times.

I'm just saying what happens if he gets 10% in the election. It doesn't mean the media in Virginia will give the LP much more tv time. Just saying they are guarantee ballot access. It also means the state board of elections takes the time to keep track of registered Libertarians. (Like the NC state board of election does since the LP got 2% of the vote in NC)

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Ballot access doesn't mean crap. Take a look at my homestate of New York where it's very easy for other parties to get on the ballot. Not only do the Independence, Working Families, and Conservative Parties get slots through endorsing Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, but the Libertarian, Green, Constitution, and Socialism & Liberation are also on the ballot. Together these third parties formed less than 1.5% of the vote.

It all comes down to the electoral system we have that essentially creates two-party systems by nature. People aren't going to vote for third parties for President when they have no governing experience. You get governing experience by winning elections through state, local, and Congressional elections. And they aren't going to get that governing experience when:

A. we have a winner take all voting system

B. the Republicans and Democrats find ways to cater to such ideologies thus making Greens and Libertarians and whatnot pointless.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Ballot access doesn't mean crap. Take a look at my homestate of New York where it's very easy for other parties to get on the ballot. Not only do the Independence, Working Families, and Conservative Parties get slots through endorsing Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, but the Libertarian, Green, Constitution, and Socialism & Liberation are also on the ballot. Together these third parties formed less than 1.5% of the vote.

It all comes down to the electoral system we have that essentially creates two-party systems by nature. People aren't going to vote for third parties for President when they have no governing experience. You get governing experience by winning elections through state, local, and Congressional elections. And they aren't going to get that governing experience when:

A. we have a winner take all voting system

B. the Republicans and Democrats find ways to cater to such ideologies thus making Greens and Libertarians and whatnot pointless.
In a case like that, that goes on the 3rd parties and minor parties not having enough money to get into the debates and or run ads to raise their profile. Or maybe having poorer choices than the two main parties. I'll admit it, sometimes the best person for the job is actually a Rep or Dem. In 2012, it was Gary Johnson. Had a better track record than Obama and Romney.

But the point is, having ballot access does save time and money. It's not a forever guarantee though. It often comes down to money.

With Sarvis....he is running a good campaign, and is lucky that people in the state really, really, don't like the two choices. He has a good chance of getting into the debate. He gets in...all he needs is 34% to win. It's gonna be interesting. Two polls have him at 10% (Washington Post) and 12.7% (Newsmax/Zogby). 10% is threshold to get into debate.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
In a case like that, that goes on the 3rd parties and minor parties not having enough money to get into the debates and or run ads to raise their profile. Or maybe having poorer choices than the two main parties. I'll admit it, sometimes the best person for the job is actually a Rep or Dem. In 2012, it was Gary Johnson. Had a better track record than Obama and Romney.

But the point is, having ballot access does save time and money. It's not a forever guarantee though. It often comes down to money.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #21
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 67,649
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

I wonder why these Librarians don't put together their own super pacs. I thought there was that crazy ass billionaire who wanted, like buy an island and start up a Libertarian country or something? You mean that guy couldn't flood a market with commercials and s**t to try and at least get the candidates name out there?

You know why that wont happen? Cuz Libertarians are effin' cheap.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,575
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I wonder why these Librarians don't put together their own super pacs.
Because I'm pretty sure that a librarian's salary is pretty low.

Quote:
I thought there was that crazy ass billionaire who wanted, like buy an island and start up a Libertarian country or something? You mean that guy couldn't flood a market with commercials and s**t to try and at least get the candidates name out there?

You know why that wont happen? Cuz Libertarians are effin' cheap.
Because rich libertarians like the Koch Brothers give their money to Republican candidates. Why put your money into a third party that will fail when you can take an already established political party with governing experience that says it's the party of "small government?"

Along with the FPTP voting system, the two major parties adapting to absorb party platforms that have political traction is the other reason why we don't see third parties taking off.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Anubis
Sup?
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Nile Delta
Posts: 67,649
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

But it's never really been done. I mean, what if they just took, like, 5 million, and just threw it at some Libertarian douche running for Congress in one of the fly over states. Just to see what happens. It's not like they can't afford it is all I'm saying. I would really be interested in seeing if it could work. I mean, half the time when you go to the polls and see a green party candidate or a Libertarian, that would be the first time you even heard of them unless you were already planning to vote for em in the first place. Which would usually require you to be a recipient of some news letter some guy printed out at a Kinkos.

__________________
Quote:
"Great, now I have to take over a whole planet because of your stupid boobs."
-Rick from Rick and Morty
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #24
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I shouldn't have LOL, but I did, and I really was

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Because I'm pretty sure that a librarian's salary is pretty low.


Because rich libertarians like the Koch Brothers give their money to Republican candidates. Why put your money into a third party that will fail when you can take an already established political party with governing experience that says it's the party of "small government?"

Along with the FPTP voting system, the two major parties adapting to absorb party platforms that have political traction is the other reason why we don't see third parties taking off.
Republicans aren't usually for small govt though. It doesn't seem that the GOP in NC is for small govt at all, but I don't really pay attention to my own state. Although after a quick google search, it doesn't seem the state likes Pat McCrory much. I really don't see the GOP embracing the libertarians in the party.

Voting for the two major parties doesn't really send a message to Washington to change things up. Nothing is gonna change when two parties are just lesser of two evils. That ain't to say there's no good people in parties...Justin Amash seems like a good enough guy, libertarian, in the GOP. At 33, he is some one to watch out for in 2020 or 2024. If he wanted to run that is. I just don't think good guys or women will be the nominee is all in either party. I don't see Huntsman Jr or Rand Paul getting the 2016 nomination...and Rand Paul is becoming more of a Republican than a small ''l' libertarian. I'm not gonna vote for someone who isn't gonna fix (end) the war on drugs.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #25
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,161
Default Re: Virginia Governor Race heating up.

Robert Sarvis at 12% in new poll from Politico.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...ion-97953.html

So, Thursday (the 10th) we find out if he makes it into the final debate. Which is a 10% threshold. He is at 12%.

In the poll, voters view him 23% negative and 20% positive (only 43% of voters know of him running) So, underwater like the other two guys. -_- Virginia don't like any one for Governor...

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.