The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #26
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'm gonna have to step in to defend Gianakin. Probably one of the most coolest fellows on the boards.

Sure, the Prequels are a nasty, disgusting, gross, vile pieces of filth that made me vomit several times, but at least he stands by them. And honest to God, I can respect that...... despite the headache-inducing rancidness and poop-pouring dreadfulness of the Prequels.

You don't have to thank me, Gianakin. I'm by your side.
We need to find a new word for "backhanded comment" after this post.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #27
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,161
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

I'm a hero!

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #28
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

An unsung one. Like Karl Urban.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #29
vinsanity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 281
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

I believe the ST will unite fans of both trilogies back.

vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #30
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Nah. As soon as someone says something like "Boy, Ep7 sure made up for the PT", it'll be hell.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
sueb1863
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 527
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

I agree that SW really doesn't need saving. I work at a library and the SW chapter books, DVDs and graphic novels are very popular with the kids and teens. It's still huge.

What the new movies will do is hopefully restore the movie franchise to a better quality level, but movies almost aren't at the center of SW any more. Kids seems to be much more into the TV Clone Wars show and books. I had a kid about ten years old actually tell me he didn't like the movies all that much and preferred the TV show and comics.

sueb1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,243
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Star Wars needs saving?


__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka
 
Hyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South West, UK
Posts: 3,401
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

I think what the OP meant by "save" was restore it to an OT-quality level. It would be ridiculous to say that Star Wars is a dead franchise at the moment

__________________
Twitter: @Jasper_CH

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #34
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,243
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Star Wars needs saving like the Man of Steel franchise then. The worst reviewed film (Phantom Menace) equalled Man of Steel, but made and extra 50% gross (with all these years of inflation).

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #35
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,651
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Not too long ago both Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were at the 30% range of reviews, around last year something happened, because they suddenly rised the score to 50 and 60% respectivelly.

Now, i grew up with the prequels, Episode III is what got me into Star Wars, but the more i look back the more i see all the problems. And i think shows like The Clone Wars did a better job bridging the that period with the originals, and that the character were much better written and executed.

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #36
Hordakfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Ana California
Posts: 442
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb1863 View Post
I agree that SW really doesn't need saving. I work at a library and the SW chapter books, DVDs and graphic novels are very popular with the kids and teens. It's still huge.

What the new movies will do is hopefully restore the movie franchise to a better quality level, but movies almost aren't at the center of SW any more. Kids seems to be much more into the TV Clone Wars show and books. I had a kid about ten years old actually tell me he didn't like the movies all that much and preferred the TV show and comics.
I didn't mind the prequels and i have mixed feeling about Indy 4 but it's just that Lucas felt like he betrayed fans of the old trilogy with the PT and Indiana Jones fans with part 4 and he has been ridiculed for too long as he is deciding to retire. Any fans think he is doing the right thing? with the new director and writer with the new company they'll restore the same quality as the OT and continue where the OT left off with fresh ideas and stories.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #37
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.
 
MrMaooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MI6 Headquarters
Posts: 15,892
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Star Wars needs saving like the Man of Steel franchise then. The worst reviewed film (Phantom Menace) equalled Man of Steel, but made and extra 50% gross (with all these years of inflation).
I'm not sure that's a good comparison.

I don't want people really divided over SW7.

Money wise, SW7 is fine.

__________________
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
MrMaooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,467
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Yeah maybe "save" was the wrong expression.

The question is actually can Disney return Star Wars to its former glory.

The answer is "maybe, but it won't be easy".

A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back had many elements that we know realize created lightning in a bottle.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #39
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,161
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Let me use my Bond analogy. It's not perfect but it kinda works if it's not thought out too literally:

If the original trilogy was the Sean Connery era, then the Prequels are the Roger Moore era. And patiently we're waiting for Daniel Craig to bring new life to the series.

Now it's not a knock against Moore, because there's plenty of entertainment value in his movies. But even his best film (The Spy who Loved Me) was great, but great for a Moore Bond film. That's how I feel about Episode 3 as well. Good..for a prequel film.

And like like the prequels, Moore's films got hammy and lost some of the suaveness of the Connery films. Not to say that Connery's films were perfect either in his original run. You could say Thunderball and You Only Live Twice are his Return of the Jedis.

So the New Trilogy will be the Daniel Craig of Star Wars. While there was a stumble with Quantum of Solace, he and his films still represents a new kind of Bond that is able to respect the past...and move forward into the future. It's a nice mix and I hope the new Star Wars film will be like that..

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!

Last edited by Octoberist; 09-28-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #40
sueb1863
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 527
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
I didn't mind the prequels and i have mixed feeling about Indy 4 but it's just that Lucas felt like he betrayed fans of the old trilogy with the PT and Indiana Jones fans with part 4 and he has been ridiculed for too long as he is deciding to retire.
He does? My impression has always been that he thinks he did the right thing and believes the fans who don't like what he did are wrong. I never heard that he had any guilty feelings over his decisions. I think if he did, he'd release decent versions of the first three movies before he changed them, instead of trying to bury them. I didn't think he gave a flying F about any ridicule.

sueb1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,651
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Let me use my Bond analogy. It's not perfect but it kinda works if it's not thought out too literally:

If the original trilogy was the Sean Connery era, then the Prequels are the Roger Moore era. And patiently we're waiting for Daniel Craig to bring new life to the series.

Now it's not a knock against Moore, because there's plenty of entertainment value in his movies. But even his best film (The Spy who Loved Me) was great, but great for a Moore Bond film. That's how I feel about Episode 3 as well. Good..for a prequel film.

And like like the prequels, Moore's films got hammy and lost some of the suaveness of the Connery films. Not to say that Connery's films were perfect either in his original run. You could say Thunderball and You Only Live Twice are his Return of the Jedis.

So the New Trilogy will be the Daniel Craig of Star Wars. While there was a stumble with Quantum of Solace, he and his films still represents a new kind of Bond that is able to respect the past...and move forward into the future. It's a nice mix and I hope the new Star Wars film will be like that..
Well, you could say that, Unfortunatelly every Craig film has tried to be the "true restart", i mean, Casino Royale was supposed to be the begining of new things, then Quantum of Solace came and was Basically an extension of the begining, but ended with the possibility that Bond has gotten over Vesper's death and is now going to do new things, then Skyfall has him older and tired, and by the end of the film we get to the way things were at the begining of the Connery era, in other words, yet another restart.

Let's just hope the next trilogy doesn't do that

__________________
STAR WARS
Returns 2015


Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #42
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,161
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Well, you could say that, Unfortunatelly every Craig film has tried to be the "true restart", i mean, Casino Royale was supposed to be the begining of new things, then Quantum of Solace came and was Basically an extension of the begining, but ended with the possibility that Bond has gotten over Vesper's death and is now going to do new things, then Skyfall has him older and tired, and by the end of the film we get to the way things were at the begining of the Connery era, in other words, yet another restart.

Let's just hope the next trilogy doesn't do that
I GUESS, I GUESS. I see what you're saying but I guess - when you place that aside, we're still waiting for our Daniel Craig for the new trilogy, maybe for relevancy and quality. True, the Craig's movies have been weird in terms of restarting several times, but Casino Royale and Skyfall are almost universally beloved. Or at least, it's going down the right direction vs. Die Another Day or A View to a Kill.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #43
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,161
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb1863 View Post
He does? My impression has always been that he thinks he did the right thing and believes the fans who don't like what he did are wrong. I never heard that he had any guilty feelings over his decisions. I think if he did, he'd release decent versions of the first three movies before he changed them, instead of trying to bury them. I didn't think he gave a flying F about any ridicule.
Lucas is a funny guy because he wore a 'Han shot First' shirt on the set of Indy 4. Obviously he's aware of the divided opinions on decisions he has made but like what you said, doesn't give flying F at the same time.

It's funny that I actually don't mind the special edition of the old movies, but the 'Greedo scene' along with Darth (now) yelling no at the end of 'Return of the Jedi' (WE GET THE SUBTEXT; no need to hammer it home when it worked already for the past 30 years) urks me because they're done so awkwardly.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #44
sueb1863
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 527
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Some parts of the special editions were OK with me (better special effects shots) but stuff like the Greedo scene just puzzled me because the original scene was PERFECT for introducing Han as a ruthless guy who knew how to handle himself and I haven't heard a good reason for Lucas to change it. Claiming he always meant to shoot it that way doesn't fly because if that was the case, why didn't he just...you know...shoot it that way then? And changing it because it made Han seem trigger happy doesn't make sense because he's a smuggler, of course he's going to shoot first, it's how he stays alive. And I was around in 1977, saw the movie numerous times, and I never heard one single complaint about how ruthless Han was in that scene. Plus, the revised scene looks terrible, and the times they've tried to fix it haven't really helped.

Oh well! At least Lucas has a sense of humor about it, I guess. Hope someday we can get the original untouched versions in high quality anamorphic widescreen on DVD...

sueb1863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #45
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,915
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

The franchise as a whole doesn't need saving. The books, comics, video games, and the hugely successful CW TV series all made sure of that. The film series, on the other hand, that DOES need saving, Lucas made sure of that with his colossal screw ups in the PT.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #46
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Let me use my Bond analogy. It's not perfect but it kinda works if it's not thought out too literally:

If the original trilogy was the Sean Connery era, then the Prequels are the Roger Moore era. And patiently we're waiting for Daniel Craig to bring new life to the series.

Now it's not a knock against Moore, because there's plenty of entertainment value in his movies. But even his best film (The Spy who Loved Me) was great, but great for a Moore Bond film. That's how I feel about Episode 3 as well. Good..for a prequel film.

And like like the prequels, Moore's films got hammy and lost some of the suaveness of the Connery films. Not to say that Connery's films were perfect either in his original run. You could say Thunderball and You Only Live Twice are his Return of the Jedis.

So the New Trilogy will be the Daniel Craig of Star Wars. While there was a stumble with Quantum of Solace, he and his films still represents a new kind of Bond that is able to respect the past...and move forward into the future. It's a nice mix and I hope the new Star Wars film will be like that..
You kinda left out the misunderstood Dalton and the bland Brosnan era. In that regard, I hope your Bond analogy is totally off.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #47
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The franchise as a whole doesn't need saving. The books, comics, video games, and the hugely successful CW TV series all made sure of that. The film series, on the other hand, that DOES need saving, Lucas made sure of that with his colossal screw ups in the PT.
Sure, let's see how much Ep7's BO will be hurt because of the cancerous, anti-religious, inhumane and sacrilegious PT.

SW needs no saving, on no front.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #48
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Financially, the franchise does not need saving. If anything, as others above have worded (in better posts) the quality needs to be restored. Thanks to the prequel trilogy, the bar was set so low that even the simplest offering will be elevated to immense popularity, since it was not written and directed by Lucas. I have faith in the screenwriter and Abrams; however, there is still going to be a polarized reaction because of Abrams. Check the forum here, for instance, and one will see that the posters either love or despise into Darkness.

If anything, I suggest bracing one's self for the onslaught of polarized opinions. If we think they are fierce now, they are going to amplify to unbearable levels because the lovers of the prequels will trash them and the prequel haters are going to love them, in addition to the Abrams factions. I think once it is released I probably will avoid the threads like the plague, due to the supermassive minefield that is going to form. It will make the Nolan schism look like a civil disagreement...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #49
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Sure, let's see how much Ep7's BO will be hurt because of the cancerous, anti-religious, inhumane and sacrilegious PT.

SW needs no saving, on no front.
It doesn't need saving NOW because Disney bought it and is actually doing something with it.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #50
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,784
Default Re: I believe Disney will save Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Sure, let's see how much Ep7's BO will be hurt because of the cancerous, anti-religious, inhumane and sacrilegious PT.

SW needs no saving, on no front.
Critically, yes. Financially, no. From the financial sense, they eclipsed the original trilogy, due them being made solely as marketing utilities. Lucas was not caring about continuity or trying to synthesize and elevate preceding media; he was trying to dethrone James Cameron and came damn close to it, for which I applaud him. To his credit, I would rather watch Episode I over Titanic any day, which says a lot, considering how much I hate the film (the only thing I liked the design, which was as good as the preceding trilogy. this was not the case with Eps II and III.)

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.