The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #276
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Steve has ties to SHIELD, but he's never really been that ingrained in the organization. And it's mostly due to his involvement with Sharon

Which is to say, comics Steve could get a tip or some help from Fury or Sharon and tackle it and that would be the storyline. But the movie takes it much farther than that by having a good portion of the story revolve around SHIELD, with much of its major characters being SHIELD members, except for the one SHIELD member that has the most involvement in Cap stories.

Not with Thor2 or Iron Man3.

We're reading different things, then, because everything I've read indicates its as much an Avengers or Black Widow thing as it is about Captain America.

Anywhere he wants. Really, there's got a be dozen things Steve could do aside from working for SHIELD.

And let's remember the last thing Steve had to say about SHIELD.

Tony: I'm not marching under Loki's fife.
Steve: Neither am I, he's got the same blood on his hands that Loki does.
Technically, Steve's been employed by SHIELD since 1943.
He was a member of the SSR, SHIELD's predecessor, before the deep freeze. The SSR evolved into SHIELD in Cap's absence, but even the crappiest of lawyers could argue in court that modern SHIELD/SSR owes him a pension and/or gainful employment.

All the set reports and rumors we've seen of CATWS tend to indicate that Cap won't necessarily be an agent of SHIELD for long, but it *does* make sense that SHIELD owes Cap, and Cap owes SHIELD.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #277
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

where's muh trailer?!?

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 10-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #278
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

With Thor maybe. Or another Disney based movie before next year.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #279
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
He was a member of the SSR, SHIELD's predecessor, before the deep freeze. The SSR evolved into SHIELD in Cap's absence, but even the crappiest of lawyers could argue in court that modern SHIELD/SSR owes him a pension and/or gainful employment.

All the set reports and rumors we've seen of CATWS tend to indicate that Cap won't necessarily be an agent of SHIELD for long, but it *does* make sense that SHIELD owes Cap, and Cap owes SHIELD.
Yep. This too.

Positioning Steve with SHIELD makes sense, at least in the beginning of the movie, before all hell breaks loose. Two or so years have passed between Avengers and TWS; Steve's involvement with them may stem from pragmatism - these guys owe him big time. He may even be trying to change the way they do things. And while he disagrees with Fury, in the comics Steve and Fury have a deeper bond than Fury has with the rest of the Avengers (save for Widow and perhaps Hawkeye). So Steve may have decided to stick with SHIELD because Fury convinced him about it, or Widow convinced him.

The limited amount of information that has leaked out in interviews is that this is Steve Rogers' movie, through and through. Widow may be the lead female, but she's also there to help develop the conflict between the modern world and the way it works and Steve's deeply held morality from a past era. Also, since Widow has backstory with Bucky from the comics and she's the most visible female in the MCU, I think her presence can augment and help the story they want to tell.

Of course, this is all just spec for now. I'm hoping that the Russos know how to balance everything out.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #280
DN91
Star-Spangled Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Maybe even a 30-second teaser during Agents of SHIELD sometime within the next few weeks.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #281
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DN91 View Post
Maybe even a 30-second teaser during Agents of SHIELD sometime within the next few weeks.
None of these answers are "Here is your trailer Whiskey, enjoy!" and are therefore unacceptable.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #282
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They could throw it on Frozen for all we know.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #283
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:

The SSR is fairly different from SHIELD, though. SSR was a special division of the US Army, that happened to draft a few personnel from other allied nations. SHIELD is a global intelligence network that seems to fall under the auspices of the UN.

Even if they were the same, the idea that they "owe'' him doesn't make sense. Sure, a pension, to be paid by the US's DOD, but owing him a job? No chance. No employer ever owes an employee a job. Certainly SHIELD/SSR wouldn't, as most US military personnel who joined during WWII were discharged, especially in the officer ranks.

Would SHILED want to keep Steve on? Without question, since he's a super-soldier, but it has nothing to do with owing him.

The question is would Steve want to accept their offer? Logically, he shouldn't, since he had very strong negative feelings about Fury and SHIELD in The Avengers.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #284
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
The SSR is fairly different from SHIELD, though. SSR was a special division of the US Army, that happened to draft a few personnel from other allied nations. SHIELD is a global intelligence network that seems to fall under the auspices of the UN.

Even if they were the same, the idea that they "owe'' him doesn't make sense. Sure, a pension, to be paid by the US's DOD, but owing him a job? No chance. No employer ever owes an employee a job. Certainly SHIELD/SSR wouldn't, as most US military personnel who joined during WWII were discharged, especially in the officer ranks.

Would SHILED want to keep Steve on? Without question, since he's a super-soldier, but it has nothing to do with owing him.

The question is would Steve want to accept their offer? Logically, he shouldn't, since he had very strong negative feelings about Fury and SHIELD in The Avengers.
Eh, I don't think his animosity towards Fury is nearly as pronounced as Stark's is. Fury literally saved Cap's life, to an extent, by resurrecting him from an icy grave; and that life-debt is surely not lost on Steve. He quickly figured out that Fury was lying about manufacturing Phase II weapons, but as a soldier himself, I can't see him getting nearly as worked up about it as a suddenly peacenik Tony Stark.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 10-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #285
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh, I don't think his animosity towards Fury is nearly as pronounced as Stark's is. Fury literally saved Cap's life, to an extent, by resurrecting him from an icy grave; and that life-debt is surely not lost on Steve. He quickly figured out that Fury was lying about manufacturing Phase II weapons, but as a soldier himself, I can't see him getting nearly as worked up about it as a suddenly peacenik Tony Stark.
Except we did see him get worked up, and equate Fury with Loki, and say he isn't going to work for him.

Steve would be grateful to Fury, but it's a long stretch that his gratitude would be serving someone he's morally outraged at.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #286
Loki882
Side-Kick

What else is he going to do exactly? He's got nothing and no one outside of SHIELD and doesn't even know a lot about the world. He's a soldier and he likes helping people. He may not like some of what SHIELD does, but would recognize that he can use their resources to do good. And no, the SSR is not different from SHIELD, the Agent Carter one-shot makes it clear that the SSR evolves into SHIELD (Phillips, Howard Stark, and Peggy are all involved).

Old 10-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #287
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

With Killian and Eric Savin, Malekith and Kurse, Winter Soldier and Batroc The Leaper, Ronan and Nebula I see a pattern of villains having henchmen in Phase 2.

I must say I absolutely love it, it makes these films come across even more "comic booky".

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 10-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #288
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
With Killian and Eric Savin, Malekith and Kurse, Winter Soldier and Batroc The Leaper, Ronan and Nebula I see a pattern of villains having henchmen in Phase 2.

I must say I absolutely love it, it makes these films come across even more "comic book".
Agreed.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #289
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Anyone else think Cap 3 would be the perfect place to introduce Punisher (if they don't give him a TV show)?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #290
KnightGambit
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Anyone else think Cap 3 would be the perfect place to introduce Punisher (if they don't give him a TV show)?
They are gonna kill off Cap eventually lol and Punisher should be with Daredevil

Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #291
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm not really big on that idea. I don't think he'd add that much.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #292
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Agreed. Not a huge fan of the character anyway.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #293
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I'd rather Cap 3 saw Daredevil introduced to the MCU, given the type of espionage involved in Cap 2 I could see Steve Rogers on trial in Cap 3 and who better than Matt Murdock to be his lawyer?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #294
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

That is very Trial of the Incredible Hulk-ish

Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #295
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'm already calling Baron Zemo as the villian for Cap 3.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #296
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
What else is he going to do exactly?
Anything. He can retire and try to try to lead a normal life (he wouldn't), or rejoin the Army...

Quote:
He's got nothing and no one outside of SHIELD and doesn't even know a lot about the world. He's a soldier and he likes helping people. He may not like some of what SHIELD does, but would recognize that he can use their resources to do good.
Steve is morally resolute and uncompromising. He just wouldn't do something for people he vehemently disapproved of.

Quote:
And no, the SSR is not different from SHIELD, the Agent Carter one-shot makes it clear that the SSR evolves into SHIELD (Phillips, Howard Stark, and Peggy are all involved).
SSR was a branch of the US Army.
SHIELD is spy agency that reports to the UN.

Did SHILED evolve from the SSR? Sure.

But so what?

Just because he worked for the SSR doesn't mean he would still want to work for them, or whatever they became.

And it doesn't mean they own him, either.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #297
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm already calling Baron Zemo as the villian for Cap 3.
Assuming my theory for Cap 2 plays out, I have no idea how Cap 3 is going to shake out. I have no idea who they will decide to use for likely Evans's last Captain America film. I feel like I know what Thor likely will be doing to some degree, and of course after Iron Man 2, we knew Mandarin would be part of Iron Man 3. Cap's 3rd film is less obvious to me. So many places they could go. Really interested to see where Cap 2 and AoU are going to leave us in regard to Steve.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #298
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
That is very Trial of the Incredible Hulk-ish
I was thinking more the Trial of Captain America lol, I've never actually seen the Trial of the Hulk movie.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #299
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I was thinking more the Trial of Captain America lol, I've never actually seen the Trial of the Hulk movie.
You need to watch Return of the Incredible Hulk and Trial of the Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby!!!! Consider this required homework, sir

Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #300
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You need to watch Return of the Incredible Hulk and Trial of the Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby!!!! Consider this required homework, sir
McGee: I'm looking for a man...

Thor: You have found one!

Closed Thread