Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #226
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
I think it's worth mention that a lot of people were saying the same thing about the PS3 and 360 when this gen started. I remember all the articles about how the power of the Cell was going to make it impossible for the 360's hardware to keep up, but that ended up being pretty far from the truth.

I don't know much about this 720p vs 1080p stuff, and it seems like the tech mumbo jumbo keeps going back and forth to me. A lot of it just seems like marketing disguised as technical information. We obviously aren't going to know until we get there, but honestly, I have doubts the technical aspect of these machines are going to be that far apart.
Honestly, read that Neogaf thread. While there's a lot of joking there's also some pretty informative stuff there. I have a buddy who actually works with Rocksteady.. He said months ago that the Xbone tech was "rubbish" and that we'd find out more closer to launch.

I don't make claims to be an insider.. Far from it.. Just passing on what I've heard.

Revelation 22:20
Old 10-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #227
Solidus
Kylo Ren

But the thing is...the PS3 was more powerful in the end. It's exclusive games could never run on the 360. The 360 looked better cross platform because Sony had the hardest console to program for, that has completely changed. The cell processor was powerful, yet hard to develop for. The PS4 has been confirmed from raw specs to be 50% more powerful, whether or not they will be able to do more in the future will have to be seen. But so far it seems they are already starting with a foot ahead of MS. But I'm sure the X1 will improve on some of those levels.

As for the PS3, I found it worth it to me, for the blu-ray (by them selves in late 2006 cost 800 bucks) and the wireless which cost over 100 dollars in the beginning to put on your 360. But I understood why many got upset with it.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #228
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

even though I got my PS3 a year after my 360, I rarely even touch my 360 anymore.

and right now, there just isn't anything compelling about the X1.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #229
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
But the thing is...the PS3 was more powerful in the end. It's exclusive games could never run on the 360. The 360 looked better cross platform because Sony had the hardest console to program for, that has completely changed. The cell processor was powerful, yet hard to develop for. The PS4 has been confirmed from raw specs to be 50% more powerful, whether or not they will be able to do more in the future will have to be seen. But so far it seems they are already starting with a foot ahead of MS. But I'm sure the X1 will improve on some of those levels.

As for the PS3, I found it worth it to me, for the blu-ray (by them selves in late 2006 cost 800 bucks) and the wireless which cost over 100 dollars in the beginning to put on your 360. But I understood why many got upset with it.

Yeah, this is going to be interesting... PS4 seems to have everything in place for everything to shine. MS really did take the Sony approach (from last gen) with ridiculous price point and then having a system built that's an absolute pain for devs to work with. The X1 could look better later..yes, but..at the same time the PS4 will be able to look better too..So,with 50% more raw power every game could really look so much better on the PS4, not just first parties.

I really don't see 3rd parties dumbing down a PS4 game just because the X1 can't handle it. If anything I see the X1 this gen getting the "crappy ports" mores so with the recent goings on.

Infinity Ward, for the first time since their deal with MS, chose to go with Sony for their press showings due to it being a more powerful system. That IMHO says a lot.

Also, I ALWAYS forget that PS3 was like the first "cheap" bluray players.I remember when I worked at Circuit City we were selling them left and right for that reason alone.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #230
Soapy
It's happening again...

Just read a couple more nasty Xbone rumors from alleged insiders on GAF. God damn. I actually feel sorry people buying one at or near launch. I don't even mean that in a snide, backhanded kind of way. Like I seriously, legitimately feel a little bad for them.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
That's not going to stop me from posting funny gifs though.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #231
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

This is why I don't buy new devices at launch. On top of the day one firmware patches, there's going to be a quite a bit more to come. I'm kind of worried about how the PS4 launch is going to affect my PS3's PSN service.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #232
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Eh, not really. I've bought almost every console at launch since the SNES days, and even with the PS3/360 there was (if the rumors are true) any problems to that level. And the PS4 launch will probably not effect the PS3's networks.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 10-28-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #233
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
This is why I don't buy new devices at launch. On top of the day one firmware patches, there's going to be a quite a bit more to come. I'm kind of worried about how the PS4 launch is going to affect my PS3's PSN service.
Almost every PS3 you buy comes with outdated firmware. These systems are produced weeks or even months before they hit shelves yet the software is constantly being worked on. Buying a system day one or later in the life cycle isn't going to change having to do some type of update the first time you open the box. Patching the system is really a reason not to buy it? Really?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #234
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I'm more concerned about hardware issues. You never know if the first bunch of systems that go out might have some defect that wasn't caught during the testing stages.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #235
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

1080p. 45GB of space needed.

Last edited by StrainedEyes; 10-28-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #236
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I'm more concerned about hardware issues. You never know if the first bunch of systems that go out might have some defect that wasn't caught during the testing stages.
Yeah, hardware issues are the thing to worry about with launches. OS and software can be patched and updated, but faulty hardware is just faulty hardware. No way around fixing that outside sending it in.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #237
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
1080p. 45GB of space needed.
What does that mean exactly? Does it mean that with the 500gb that the system has (which will most likely be a little less), that we'd only be able to hold 8-9 game files on it at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Yeah, hardware issues are the thing to worry about with launches. OS and software can be patched and updated, but faulty hardware is just faulty hardware. No way around fixing that outside sending it in.
Exactly, that's why I'm letting my brother take my console instead. I figure that I'll get a taste of what it does, but not have to worry if it gets damaged or has some defect since that will be his problem to deal with. Plus, I'm sure they'll be some issues that will needed to be ironed out after the general public gets their hands on one.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #238
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
What does that mean exactly? Does it mean that with the 500gb that the system has (which will most likely be a little less), that we'd only be able to hold 8-9 game files on it at a time?
Sort of, the details are still kind of fuzzy. Cerny talked about how as you play a disc-based game on the PS4, it will slowly install the game in the background until the entire thing is on your console. This will help load times etc. Yoshida referred to it as caching instead of installing, which implies it's only temporary. You'll still need the minimum free space available to play the disc game.

Last edited by StrainedEyes; 10-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #239
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Just read a couple more nasty Xbone rumors from alleged insiders on GAF. God damn. I actually feel sorry people buying one at or near launch. I don't even mean that in a snide, backhanded kind of way. Like I seriously, legitimately feel a little bad for them.

That's not going to stop me from posting funny gifs though.

what are the nasty X1 rumors??

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #240
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Almost every PS3 you buy comes with outdated firmware. These systems are produced weeks or even months before they hit shelves yet the software is constantly being worked on. Buying a system day one or later in the life cycle isn't going to change having to do some type of update the first time you open the box. Patching the system is really a reason not to buy it? Really?
Because a lot of stuff simply is not going to work at all without patches. It's not like patching a mature system. I don't want to wait around for them to implement features and fix things that should have been done before they put the machine in stores.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #241
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Because a lot of stuff simply is not going to work at all without patches. It's not like patching a mature system. I don't want to wait around for them to implement features and fix things that should have been done before they put the machine in stores.
I'm curious....do you own a smart phone? Tablet? Computer? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's a legitimate question because based on your aversion to the need of patches, one would assume you hold that view with all devices, not just the Playstation.

In the digital age, everything needs patches at one point or another. It doesn't matter if its a console, a video game, a computer, itunes, websites, etc. If it uses code, it WILL get a patch for one reason or another. It doesn't mean that the software is incomplete or unusable (usually); it's just the nature of the industry. Sometimes a patch is to fix a bug that wasn't discovered during testing - it's mathematically impossible to find every bug before release, and sometimes its to add a feature with a scheduled release. 9 times out of 10 the changes caused by a patch aren't even noticeable on the user's end unless its a massive upgrade or bug fix that the user themselves encountered.

Point is, if the reality of patches is a reason for you to wait to get a system, then you'll be waiting until that system is no longer supported by the company making them.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #242
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

For the love of...

Launch systems software are BUGGY and are MISSING FEATURES that were touted. They are BUGGIER and CRAPPIER at launch than if you wait a like a year. The PS4 won't have suspend/resume at launch, for example.

The Wii U launch firmware was SLOW and CRAPPY. I watched videos of it on youtube. Better to wait until they get that sort of thing fixed. You're dealing with firmware that is essentially unfinished and not tested by millions by the company at launch.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 10-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #243
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Has anyone heard anything about how good the PS4 blu-ray player is?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #244
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Well I read the Blu-ray feature doesn't work without first updating the PS4 and activating on the internet. Which is weird since the PS3 didn't have that problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/25/5...out-of-the-box

Quote:
Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s North America launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/...-1-50-details/

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 10-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #245
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
what are the nasty X1 rumors??
Take your pick:
  • Call of Duty only runs at 720p
  • OS is crashing a lot
  • Online features are very unstable, lots of disconnects
  • PSN > XBL
  • Smart Glass is outright broken
  • ESRAM is going to cripple the XBone and it will never have parity with PS4
  • PS4 Battlefield 4 multiplayer looks better than Xbone Battlefield 4 single player
  • Plus one especially ominous rumor that is apparently such a big deal that none of the insiders are willing to talk about it yet.

As always, take rumors with a grain of salt, and none of this is to imply that PS4 won't have its own problems, but with the exception of the Battlefield 4 thing, all of those are from multiple legit industry insiders.

The Battlefield rumor comes from a popular Battlefield YouTube/Twitch guy who was invited to a DICE event. He's going to be posting some comparison footage tonight at midnight EST apparently.

Last edited by Soapy; 10-28-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #246
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
  • PSN > XBL
LMAO . Sorry but that one had me laughing. But in all seriousness, how can anyone know as I don't think the servers have gone live to make such an assessment, especially not this early. Theres a lot of factors that will affect the online infrastructure such as traffic that one cant even account for until after the system is launched

Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #247
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Well, the PSN > XBL thing came from CBOATs.. Who works for MS. He's been saying Live has been in shambles because they started it with a clean slate rather than keep what's been successful for 10 years.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #248
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

Here's a nice compilation of posts about the current state of affairs for both Next-Gen systems. Xbone list is just dreadful compared to PS4. Neogaf, of course.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2018

Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #249
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

A post from CBOATS. He says the XB1 is going to be bad... But.. If people don't want to listen to him.. Fine.

In response to someone calling him a fraud.

The issues comes from facts. If you don't want to hear what I present, can't help you.

Focus your ire to the people who made these decisions regarding hardware. When messager is right you get mad, but I warn because I don't like what I've seen over the last 20 months.

Plan never not for gamers. Xbox One or PS4 or Wii U. All of Us. When directive are apps first, power second, this is not for gamers. When questions about DRM/online policy are [floate intenraly and disregard 3d]

Because monetization is job one for Executives, this is not for gamers. When you are lied to directly about features, that's not for gamers.
Today, Snap is broke. Fact. Maybe (and probably) fix for launch. Today connectivity and party is broken. Fact. And Maybe fix before launch.

ESRam is problem and tools will help down the road. Hardware will always be grim in comparison. This can never change without new hardware. Fact. Get mad at who you should be getting mad at.

Not the forum.
Not the posters.
Not people who know what's right and wrong and want to help gamers.

See you after launch!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #250
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
Well, the PSN > XBL thing came from CBOATs.. Who works for MS. He's been saying Live has been in shambles because they started it with a clean slate rather than keep what's been successful for 10 years.
then he can only speak about XBL. He cant say PSN is better having never worked on the PS4's. He works for MS? Why would he say anything negative publicly about them? Seems like an excellent way to get fired

Closed Thread