The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

View Poll Results: What show did you like better? Superman:The Animated Series or Justice League?
Superman TAS 14 26.42%
Justice League 39 73.58%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #76
ganon51
Stay Awesome my friends

Default Re: What show did you like better? Superman:The Animated Series or Justice League?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I gotta go with Superman: TAS on this one. I liked JL/JLU as well and I found Batman TAS dull and dry as hell. But the Superman one was more focused than JL/JLU. It was the first time I ever saw Superman really delved into and his rogues gallery given a place to shine. IMO, it's DC's best show to date. I just loved it.
Awesome, but can you explain why you thought Superman TAS was more focused than JL/U?

ganon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #77
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Default Re: What show did you like better? Superman:The Animated Series or Justice League?

Well, it being just about one character and his mythos you got to delve into areas of Superman that we never really got before(especially regarding his villains). Before this show, I'd never heard of half of these characters(I never read DC comics). I never heard of Metallo or Parasite or the Toyman. But now I have and they're a great collection of villains. They never really got their due before unlike say, Batman's villains. I never read any of his comics either yet I was far more aware of most of his rogues gallery from other sources. And the change to Brainiac is every bit as impressive as what they had done to Mr. Freeze in BTAS.

JL/JLU is essentially a better updating of Superfriends.

Last edited by kedrell; 10-09-2013 at 07:49 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #78
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

STAS' problem was that apart from the part 3 of the show opener, the makers were frightened of actually showing Superman being awesome and kicking arse with his powers. Nearly every damned episode had the same formula - Supes experiences new enemy, struggles, and either wins an early battle or losing it, leading to round 2 when either Supes has powered up or the enemy has and they both duke it out again. And every time Superman spends half his screen time grunting, getting punched down, forced back, unable to do anything at all.

BTAS was awesome because even in the early parts of the episodes Batman would often fight some mooks, do some cool things, etc. But Supes just got blasted this way and that for the entire show and made it aggravating to watch.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #79
ganon51
Stay Awesome my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
STAS' problem was that apart from the part 3 of the show opener, the makers were frightened of actually showing Superman being awesome and kicking arse with his powers. Nearly every damned episode had the same formula - Supes experiences new enemy, struggles, and either wins an early battle or losing it, leading to round 2 when either Supes has powered up or the enemy has and they both duke it out again. And every time Superman spends half his screen time grunting, getting punched down, forced back, unable to do anything at all.

BTAS was awesome because even in the early parts of the episodes Batman would often fight some mooks, do some cool things, etc. But Supes just got blasted this way and that for the entire show and made it aggravating to watch.
Hey, you could argue that BTAS had the same episodic problem too! Atleast we saw that Superman didn't always win, like with "Apokolips Now!" and "Legacy".

Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #80
kguillou
Side-Kick

The thing with S:TAS was that apart from the 3 part opener and the Darkseid storyline, a lot of the episodes just felt very...meh. It wasn't compelling or dramatic or tragic like the B:TAS episodes were. Every time a new villain was introduced in B:TAS you couldn't help but be drawn in because the villains' origins were so dark and tragic and constantly pushed the envelope of what could be shown on a kids cartoon. Superman played it safe, and that's not a bad thing, but if it took more risks like B:TAS in terms of tone and story, it could have easily been a top tier cartoon.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #81
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I haven't watched the entire show but I do own one of the volumes of STAS on DVD...the only episode that I found particularly memorable was the one by paul dini with Myxlptlk. Justice league had better better stories ( though it had the benefit of being an ensemble), though I still got annoyed with superman constantly getting electrocuted and falling unconscious for much of the first season. But I'll still vote for justice league.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.

Last edited by DarkSovereignty; 10-10-2013 at 12:33 PM.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #82
kane9321
oakland's finest

Justice League,hands down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.

They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #83
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I gotta go with Superman: TAS on this one. I liked JL/JLU as well and I found Batman TAS dull and dry as hell. But the Superman one was more focused than JL/JLU. It was the first time I ever saw Superman really delved into and his rogues gallery given a place to shine. IMO, it's DC's best show to date. I just loved it.
This was a big problem for me in JL.How the heck do you manage to make Batman uninteresting?

But it wasn't just him.It felt too...generic.While I'm not the biggest Young Justice fan,I'd have preferred something along those lines for JL. Involving the secret I.D's and support characters would've been a good idea.

Instead,it just ended up feeling like a more "grown up" Superfriends.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #84
Duke
Knowin is half the battle

I liked Justice League better because of all the DC characters they'd bring in & plots weren't tied down to just Superman. However, I'm a BIG Superman fan & enjoyed Superman TAS very much & was saddened when they decided to cancel it.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #85
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
This was a big problem for me in JL. How the heck do you manage to make Batman uninteresting?

But it wasn't just him.It felt too...generic.While I'm not the biggest Young Justice fan,I'd have preferred something along those lines for JL. Involving the secret I.D's and support characters would've been a good idea.

Instead,it just ended up feeling like a more "grown up" Superfriends.
Well for me Batman is uninteresting by definition. Characters who are dark and that darkness becomes their defining characteristic usually hit me that way. Ditto Spawn, Punisher, DareDevil and Wolverine since they're all working variations on the same type of character. Such characters will never be interesting to me.

The only time I have ever found Batman interesting was in Begins.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #86
ganon51
Stay Awesome my friends

C'mon! STAS is falling behind by ALOT

Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #87
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Yeah, it's almost as if people prefer justice league to superman the animated series or something

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #88
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

I adored Superman:The Animated Series but Justice League is my favorite cartoon of all time based on the phenomenal second season alone. Superman had some fantastic stories and was more like the TAS counterpart than what was seen of him in the first season of JL. My rewatch of Unlimited is coming soon so I hope Superman is just as awesome as he was in Season 2.

The other characters shined alot several times too as well as awesome arcing relationships that really built up and payed off, the DCAU definitely deserves to be treasured.

Last edited by Doc Ock; 10-12-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Doc Ock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #89
ganon51
Stay Awesome my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Yeah, it's almost as if people prefer justice league to superman the animated series or something
Very funny -_-

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #90
superhero
Side-Kick

I liked batman the beast!! but I enjoyed super man series. My favorite was justice league.

superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #91
ganon51
Stay Awesome my friends

Bump

Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #92
charl_huntress
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

To be honest, I like them both equally, but since Superman TAS features more Superman (obviously). It is my favorite.

Also, I know we are discussing TV shows, but Supes has his own home on the hype. I think it's done this way to keep comic fans from fighting over something stupid in every single forum...which we usually do in short order.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 11-02-2013 at 09:57 AM.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #93
ganon51
Stay Awesome my friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
To be honest, I like them both equally, but since Superman TAS features more Superman (obviously). It is my favorite.

Also, I know we are discussing TV shows, but Supes has his own home on the hype. I think it's done this way to keep comic fans from fighting over something stupid in every single forum...which we usually do in short order.
Finally, someone who prefers STAS.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #94
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganon51 View Post
Tell me about it! It's like the black sheep of the DCAU.
That pleasure is deserved by The Zeta Project, most DCAU fans don't even know it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #95
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

I love S:TAS, but I'm going to have to choose Justice League.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote