The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #326
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I mean, he doesn't have any bald spots really, but these last few pictures of him as of late...I mean the side portions of his head look like they have more thicker hair present than the hair on top of his skull.

I feel like at times that if it gets any worse, he may have to do what CR did in Superman 3 and actually wear somewhat of a wig on top for his role as Superman in the next film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.of.Tomorrow View Post
Maybe the sides just need a trim?? Lol.

I really dont get the issues with his hair. Having to wear a wig for the next superman movie??? Are you serious?? The guy has plenty of hair. I can see he has receded somewhat around his temples compared to his early 20s but dont think it looks bad or obvious. Depending on how he styles it you sometimes notice and you sometimes don't. His hair looks fine in all the recent pics to me.

Also just because his hair has receded a little bit doesn't mean it will continue too. My dad started receding in his 20s but then his hairline has barely changed after about 35!! I've seen a picture of Cavills dad and brothers and they all had hair so don't think there's any major concerns that his genetics are gonna leave him bald any time soon!

The only thing wrong with his hair at the moment IMO is that it isn't black!
Its weird. Sometimes it looks full and dense, sometimes it looks he's balding. But it don't think it will play a role in the film at all. They can correct and hairline issues with make-up and/or CG so he should be fine.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #327
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnightwing23 View Post
Excited to see how Cavill ends up physically as this movie starts to film. He had 11 months to train for MOS right? How much time has/will he have for this sequel?
He landed the part in February I think and started training right away. And he shot his shirtless scenes in October - so that gave him 8 months to prepare for those. And of course he trained throughout filming because even after the shirtless scenes were canned, he had to remain big to fill out the suit so that was another 3 months, so yeah 11 months total.

For Batman Vs Superman, he started in August and filming begins in February so giving him almost 7 months before filming begins and 6 months of shoot (Batman Vs Superman is reported to end filming in August) so the training period is extended to 13 months!

But with muscle memory and a longer lead-in, I think he is definitely in a position to top what he achieved in MOS.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #328
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

About the action scenes - there is some confusion. So firstly Snyder extensively insisted that whatever Superman DOES in the film has to be a visual effect because you can't simulate that. And then even Cavill said that for most of his action moves, he had to do the set up and then the CGI would take over.

Yet we see almost everything being filmed against a green screen. I have seen the feature only once and will try to confirm but the reasoning is this that they are basically shooting reference for the special effects guts. Giving them the most accurate representation of the scene which the VFX guys then paint over. So they might paint over not just the green screen but the actors too.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #329
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
About the action scenes - there is some confusion. So firstly Snyder extensively insisted that whatever Superman DOES in the film has to be a visual effect because you can't simulate that. And then even Cavill said that for most of his action moves, he had to do the set up and then the CGI would take over.

Yet we see almost everything being filmed against a green screen. I have seen the feature only once and will try to confirm but the reasoning is this that they are basically shooting reference for the special effects guts. Giving them the most accurate representation of the scene which the VFX guys then paint over. So they might paint over not just the green screen but the actors too.
And then there's the collider set reports that said that they saw them being rigged up (Superman, Faora, and Nam-ek) for their fight scenes in Smallville, saying on how they were surprised in seeing on how much practical effects was being used for some of the shots as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #330
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Also I do think the quality of CGI was not up to par. It was also because of Snyder's shooting style. Krypton literally looks blurry and muddy with that color tone and the constant pans.

The tornado was absolutely horrible looking. Very fake.

And the climatic devastation of the city, again very CGI looking.

Do you guys think it will get a best FX Oscar nomination? I think it might miss and the nominations could be one of

Gravity
Pacific Rim
Hobbit 2
Iron Man 3
Oblivion
Oz the Great and Powerful
The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
Star Trek Into Darkness

Only 1 of Nolan films got a nomination for VFX.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #331
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
And then there's the collider set reports that said that they saw them being rigged up (Superman, Faora, and Nam-ek) for their fight scenes in Smallville, saying on how they were surprised in seeing on how much practical effects was being used for some of the shots as well.
In one of the shots, for the oil rig sequence, you see Cavill with dots all over his face. So that means they were definitely capturing him for some VFX shots. But I'll try to watch the feature again and see what they were trying to do.

Also remember the speed and brutality and the impact for the Kryptonians are obviously imparted by the VFX. The actors film only in normal speed and don't actually use full force or even contact.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #332
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
In one of the shots, for the oil rig sequence, you see Cavill with dots all over his face. So that means they were definitely capturing him for some VFX shots. But I'll try to watch the feature again and see what they were trying to do.

Also remember the speed and brutality and the impact for the Kryptonians are obviously imparted by the VFX. The actors film only in normal speed and don't actually use full force or even contact.
Well, Superman is definitely one of the hardest characters to do on live action when it comes to his action scenes...aiya.

I mean, unlike the likes of Iron Man or Spider-Man, he doesn't have the luxury of wearing a mask that could cover up any fake looking CGI face for a lot of the impossible type of actions that need to be shown in a shot.

Plus, I don't think Zack's handheld shaky camera thing was the best thing to use for these moments as well.

And yeah, as much as I liked the look of Metropolis at times, it did look very CGI at other times as well.

In some ways, I always thought that Michel Bay's technique of shooting action scenes (and that alone.lol) would be great for Superman, along with the bright and vibrant color filters that he normally uses for his films.

And I think superman could have used some slow motion shots as well.

The action is going by so fast at times, that I can't tell if it's CGI or the real person at times, which ironically enough, I think was the goal for them.lol

Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #333
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Yeah. Sometimes the action was so fast it seamed like a blur to me. Some action sequences I couldn't appreciate unless I freeze framed it.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #334
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
Yeah. Sometimes the action was so fast it seamed like a blur to me. Some action sequences I couldn't appreciate unless I freeze framed it.
Agreed...I was really looking forward towards seeing Henry in action as Superman when it came to those fight scenes and while I still appreciate what we got, I would have enjoyed it a lot more as well if they had somehow found to shoot those sequences that used Henry more than relying on CGI models mixed with fast camera movements.

If the tagline for the first CR film was "you'll believe that a man can fly," the new tagline for this franchise that they should go and follow by would be "you'll believe that a man can fight as Superman".lol

Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #335
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
I don't think Zack's handheld shaky camera thing was the best thing to use for these moments as well.

And I think superman could have used some slow motion shots as well.

The action is going by so fast at times, that I can't tell if it's CGI or the real person at times, which ironically enough, I think was the goal for them.lol
Slow motion lends clarity to the action, and allows you to relish the physicality of the fight. Snyder infact employed "fast motion" for the Kryptonians where they moved faster than normal. And combined with the shaky cam made a lot of the fight scenes look blurry and incoherent at times.
Quote:
In some ways, I always thought that Michel Bay's technique of shooting action scenes (and that alone.lol) would be great for Superman, along with the bright and vibrant color filters that he normally uses for his films.
Ah the colors! That's the biggest change Snyder brought about in his style. Look at Watchmen and specially 300, absolutely voluptuously shot with burnished colors and heated contrast making images so striking and saturated that they were seared into your mind.

In MOS he used a very drained palette, and a hand held camera.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #336
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Slow motion lends clarity to the action, and allows you to relish the physicality of the fight. Snyder infact employed "fast motion" for the Kryptonians where they moved faster than normal. And combined with the shaky cam made a lot of the fight scenes look blurry and incoherent at times.

Ah the colors! That's the biggest change Snyder brought about in his style. Look at Watchmen and specially 300, absolutely voluptuously shot with burnished colors and heated contrast making images so striking that they were seared into your mind.

In MOS he used a very drained palette, and a hand held camera.
I'm really hoping that with his old DP back for this film, that they'll go about this differently.

What's ironic is that Snyder has said that this is his most realistic film ever, and that is true on a lot of levels, but when it comes to his fight scenes, not so much since his other films have better realistic looking fight scenes (which is mostly due to the fact that it's not Superman that they have to deal with.lol)

I'm hoping with Batman in this film, it'll allow, if not force, them to use more practical and easier means of showing Superman in action since I want to see Henry in action as Superman and not a CGI or blur looking figure.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #337
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kal-Elle- View Post
Respectfully disagree with this! I've always loved Superman and so loved Smallville and Tom Welling, but really don't think his popularity with women can compare to Henry's, even at the start of Smallville. Henry TRANSCENDS Superman to the point that all my friends (honestly, ALL my girlfriends!) would say Henry is their dream guy and swoon over him - and half of them have never even seen MOS. It wasn't the same for Tom, at least not here in the UK.

I swear every interview Henry ever does they go on and on about his looks, and though Tom is really hot too (and I've fancied him for YEARS ) in terms of aesthetics, you can't compare. Henry is like the most beautiful man to exist in the world, and that's something so many men will admit too, and that was never the case with Tom Welling either.

Just my thoughts on the matter as a red blooded woman
Welling had a bigger demographic than Cavill has.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #338
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

^^^^He didn't have that..

Male awesomeness!!! and of course 100x time better actor IMO

Last edited by John-An; 10-27-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #339
John-An

some gif with potential

Old 10-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #340
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
^^^^He didn't have that..

Male awesomeness!!! and of course 100x time better actor IMO
lol wtf is he doing in that gif? Flexing for Amy Adams?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #341
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

He flexed his lips for her.

~SHH SIX~
Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #342
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Here are two magnificent shots of the suit which Cavill of course rocks. The color is slightly pumped to show that with a proper color palette, the suit CAN pop on screen. They should atleast try for a more saturated color palette this time.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #343
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

~SHH SIX~
Old 10-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #344
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
He flexed his lips for her.
The bigger question is, did SHE flex her lips for him.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #345
MrsKent26
Whatever.

Wow, those are magnificent indeed, Slumcat. Both the suit and Henry look so...Super.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #346
John-An

75X75 PLEASE? someone?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #347
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
The bigger question is, did SHE flex her lips for him.
She probably did. It wouldn't shock me if Amy tried to make the most of kissing Henry.

~SHH SIX~
Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #348
John-An

Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #349
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Love these! I want my copy! Lol

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #350
Rorschach2012
$

Rewatching the movie, I think Manganiello and Hammer both could've done well in the role, it wasn't a difficult role from an acting standpoint, but visually Cavill was the best choice by a mile.

Closed Thread