The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #151
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Henry seems nice, polite, so sweeet and to be honest I dislike his shape in MOS (at least in his shirtless scene). Looks like they wanted to turn him into a gorilla.
Leave it to a girl to disparage a man's bodybuilding accomplishment. I am a man and must say Cavill pretty much has the ideal male physique, a physique any man would be proud to have. Most certainly does not look like a gorilla.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #152
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.of.Tomorrow View Post
I can't see any gratuitous shirtless scenes really, they'd have to actually work it into the plot. Like you can't just have Cavill strolling around his apartment shirtless, as much as the ladies might like it, cos it would be just a bit like... 'ok fine but what's the POINT??!' If they can make it legit to the storyline, then yeah it could work I guess. But I wouldn't wanna watch the movie and think that a scene is put in for the sole purpose of showing his body, I would wanna buy into it. I did in MoS though, to be fair - and we know Snyder likes his shirtless scenes so guess it won't be too long til we find out!
There was definitely some gratuity in the shirtless scenes in MOS. The clothes stealing scene exists solely to show off Cavill's physique. There is remotely nothing important that happens in that scene, it was basically just a physique shot and Snyder made sure to include it in the main theatrical trailer too

The other scene is also blatant. In the oil rig scene, Snyder shows Cavill's muscles bulging as he holds up the iron beam. And then from a close-up of Cavill's face he dips the camera for a lingering close-up of Cavill's abs. Some reviews even remarked upon this scene.

But this is not the first time Snyder has done a physique shot and its okay if he wants to throw a bone to the ladies too.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #153
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
Yeah. After Man of Steel. Synder and co made a particular effort to sexualise Superman. When I said Superman isn't a sex symbol I mean the general perception of the character. In the comics he fights for truth and justice and is always trying to do the right thing, no matter what. He is a boy scout and that isn't sexy. Women don't want a boy scout in bed, they want Wolverine in bed. Synder tried to create a character who women would think about when they get into bed at night.

I think if they were going to take him back to his roots more, being the farm boy, the journalist, etc, then the film shouldn't really be about how sexy he looks without a shirt on. I personally don't think it's in the spirit of Superman to care about how he sexually comes across to women, he's more likely to wear clothes, not be like 'Yeah look at me and ma bulging muscles!!!'. I think he cares about bringing peace to the world and trying to stop the bad guys. If they spent a long time focusing on his body in the next film I would think they are trying to turn Superman into a 300 warrior, which is not who he was in the comics!!
While not overt, Superman is definitely sexualized in the comics too. He does get shirtless in the comics sometimes but he doesn't need to get shirtless to show off his muscles because in the comics they draw him with with a form fitting costume that pretty much shows off his entire anatomy, just painted blue instead of the color of skin, he's basically drawn nude in the comics and then painted blue. Superman has always been one to be drawn with an excessively sculpted physique something that many women take pleasure at. I have a lady friend who is a HUGE comic book fanatic and she has confessed to really enjoying Superman's muscular depictions in the comics.

So I would say Snyder isn't starting something new here by showing off Superman's body, artists throughout the decades have done that.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #154
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Leave it to a girl to disparage a man's bodybuilding accomplishment. I am a man and must say Cavill pretty much has the ideal male physique, a physique any man would be proud to have. Most certainly does not look like a gorilla.
She's not the only one. A friend of mine prefers Cavill a little softer, like in the Tudors.

But I've observed that men bodybuild to impress other men, just as woman get stick-thin to impress other women. Neither is about impressing the opposite sex.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #155
Man.of.Tomorrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
There was definitely some gratuity in the shirtless scenes in MOS. The clothes stealing scene exists solely to show off Cavill's physique. There is remotely nothing important that happens in that scene, it was basically just a physique shot and Snyder made sure to include it in the main theatrical trailer too

The other scene is also blatant. In the oil rig scene, Snyder shows Cavill's muscles bulging as he holds up the iron beam. And then from a close-up of Cavill's face he dips the camera for a lingering close-up of Cavill's abs. Some reviews even remarked upon this scene.

But this is not the first time Snyder has done a physique shot and its okay if he wants to throw a bone to the ladies too.
True, but they wanted to establish with the audience that his body was REAL - like he actually looked like that, so he had more believability as Superman.
Now that it's already been established, I feel that more shirtless scenes would seem that bit more gratuitous, as we've already seen it and know it's legit.

But honestly it probably makes a lot sense to include one in the next movie, just for marketing purposes. It's what will get the headlines, isn't it... plus a lot of the butts on the theatre seats!

Quote:
And yeah I guess body shape preference is personal opinion but there's no doubting his accomplishment. People literally gasped in my theatre when he was running shirtless, even in a packed theatre with the music playing, all you could hear was the intake of breath and people whispering to each other lol

Personally I do think that physique is a little too big for 'real life' - as in if he were a regular guy with a regular job, I'd think it's a bit much - I wouldn't wanna look like one of those dudes who spends ALL his time in the gym. But for Superman?? Come on, that physique is absolutely perfect.

And of course if I woke up and my body suddenly looked like that - then yes I would be a VERY happy guy lmao, not gonna dispute that...

And yeah, he definitely looks nothing like a gorilla Certainly not size-wise, and the dude's not even that hairy I swear? My chest is almost as hairy as his as I've never thought of myself as a particularly hairy guy - let alone a gorilla...!

I guess some girls just prefer the leaner hairless look. Cavill obviously looked great in Immortals too but I think he looked way better in MoS. If I were a girl or gay that's the look I'd go for for him. Yeah I've thought about that, I'm not ashamed!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #156
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
She's not the only one. A friend of mine prefers Cavill a little softer, like in the Tudors.

But I've observed that men bodybuild to impress other men, just as woman get stick-thin to impress other women. Neither is about impressing the opposite sex.
This whole time I thought I was working out for myself and the ladies :-/

Old 10-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #157
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeGenerate10 View Post
This whole time I thought I was working out for myself and the ladies :-/
Work out for yourself, dude. But if the finer details of bodybuilding don't interest you, don't bother, because the ladies don't care.

I actually don't know any women in my life who are into guys so muscular (and bodyfat so low) that their veins pop out. That's the bodybuilding ideal, certainly, but it's just too much. And that's even without considering the amount of work that it takes to get there.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #158
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Quote:
While not overt, Superman is definitely sexualized in the comics too. He does get shirtless in the comics sometimes but he doesn't need to get shirtless to show off his muscles because in the comics they draw him with with a form fitting costume that pretty much shows off his entire anatomy, just painted blue instead of the color of skin, he's basically drawn nude in the comics and then painted blue. Superman has always been one to be drawn with an excessively sculpted physique something that many women take pleasure at. I have a lady friend who is a HUGE comic book fanatic and she has confessed to really enjoying Superman's muscular depictions in the comics.

So I would say Snyder isn't starting something new here by showing off Superman's body, artists throughout the decades have done that.
Yeah exactly, he wears that suit so we don't need a full-blown shirtless scene. If someone loses there clothes for some reason it makes sense but if it doesn't add anything to the narrative it's pointless.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #159
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I believe women like a guy who's in shape but tend to dislike men who appear to care more about their physical appearance then they care about their own as a women.

Cavill's body required a lot of work to the point that most guys who'd try to emulate that would have to near live in the gym and I could see how that could turn off a number of women. I work out mainly for fitness and to appear relatively in shape, I've never had the time or motivation to take up serious bodybuilding which is what cavill was engaged in for at least 6 months.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #160
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I believe women like a guy who's in shape but tend to dislike men who appear to care more about their physical appearance then they care about their own as a women.

Cavill's body required a lot of work to the point that most guys who'd try to emulate that would have to near live in the gym and I could see how that could turn off a number of women. I work out mainly for fitness and to appear relatively in shape, I've never had the time or motivation to take up serious bodybuilding which is what cavill was engaged in for at least 6 months.
But even without considering that, I don't see any of my friends, or anyone on gossip blogs, visually lusting after guys who are in the low single-digit bodyfat range. We can visually lust without being like, "Oh, but they must spend 5 hours a day at the gym!" Our eyes work a lot faster than that.

Around 10% bodyfat (low enough to show abs but not enough to show striations) seems to be the mainstream ideal, if attracting women is your goal.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #161
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

I have friends that praise Henry for his lip and jaw work during the kiss, lol.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #162
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Yeah I would agree with that. People tend to dislike extremes in any sense and that could included anyone who appears "too muscular" or cut.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #163
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

This girl doesn't! This girl much prefers MOS Henry specially the hairy chest. I do prefer Henry in The Tudors to Henry in Immortals and in The Tudors he has a lot of clothes on.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 10-17-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #164
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
I have friends that praise Henry for his lip and jaw work during the kiss, lol.
Do they have a club? Cuz I would like to join.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #165
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Do they have a club? Cuz I would like to join.
Ummm yeah, sure.

It's funny though. They're like,"His jaw work is fiiiiiine, and those lips are working great too." They also complimented Henry and how he kept Amy close to him during the kiss, lol.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #166
-Kal-Elle-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
This girl doesn't! This girl much prefers MOS Henry specially the hairy chest. I do prefer Henry in The Tudors to Henry in Immortals and in The Tudors he has a lot of clothes on.
Yeah I might as well. Clearly his body is insane in Immortals but he's almost too lean for me - that's why I also prefer MOS because he's so big and burly. In The Tudors, while he's nowhere near as fit or ripped as Immortals, he's more bulky and substantial which I like a lot! Like he'd feel reassuringly heavy on top of you hahaha. Okay I'll stop!

His body always looks pretty great though. Does anyone else wanna see pics of 'Fat Cavill' really bad?? I wanna seeeeeeee!

And loooool at people praising his jaw work and kissing technique. Gotta admit it looks great though Amy is soooo lucky. One thing I always found really hot in The Tudors was how he often kept his eyes open a bit during sex scenes or kissing scenes...weirdly hot!

See the pic below....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #167
maluka
Banned User

^I love the way he kisses too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ With you, anyone who doesn't resemble Matt Bomer's physique is a gorilla
(It's more about the fact matt's face is beautiful/perfect)

Actually, I also love Justin Hartley, Hugh Dancy, Orlando Bloom, Keanu Reeves...etc
And these guys don't look like "gorilla" when they work out.
And no, I'm not talking about his hairs but his shape. (big arms, big chest. Too much)
(you see, it's like Sangoku and Super Saiyan Sangoku... I can't believe I'm explaining that to you....)
*go watch DBZ*

But Henry's level in MOS was the same as an athlete. (I think)
I won't say it was his natural shape. I prefer Henry when he's "normal" (let's say, in IMMORTALS, he was PERFECT (greek god), nice in the tudors but not enough muscular)

Oh, I like Tom Welling's shape too!

Last edited by maluka; 10-18-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #168
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kal-Elle- View Post
Yeah I might as well. Clearly his body is insane in Immortals but he's almost too lean for me - that's why I also prefer MOS because he's so big and burly. In The Tudors, while he's nowhere near as fit or ripped as Immortals, he's more bulky and substantial which I like a lot! Like he'd feel reassuringly heavy on top of you hahaha. Okay I'll stop!

His body always looks pretty great though. Does anyone else wanna see pics of 'Fat Cavill' really bad?? I wanna seeeeeeee!

And loooool at people praising his jaw work and kissing technique. Gotta admit it looks great though Amy is soooo lucky. One thing I always found really hot in The Tudors was how he often kept his eyes open a bit during sex scenes or kissing scenes...weirdly hot!

See the pic below....

Even though his eyes, I believe were closed during his makeout with Amy. They actually did look kinda open, lol.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #169
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kal-Elle- View Post

See the pic below....

I'd never noticed that before... but damn, that is kinda hot

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #170
Man.of.Tomorrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I'd never noticed that before... but damn, that is kinda hot
I swear the guy could be in the middle of kissing a girl and then stop and spit in her face and you girls would still think it was hot:

'I just love Henry's kissing technique!!!! It's so unique!!'

As great a kisser I'm SURE he is, let's go back to Superman for a minute..these pics are new and he is starting to look a lot bigger IMO

Was that dude following him?! And there's that spit curl again...

I'm starting to get really pysched about the movie now we can see everyone getting ready for it, now they're shooting that scene and Cavill is beginning to look the part. I just need to see Batfleck now and I will have a proper fanboy freak out.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #171
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Yeah dude, the spit curl NEEDS to be in the sequel now. It's being such a tease!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #172
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.of.Tomorrow View Post
I swear the guy could be in the middle of kissing a girl and then stop and spit in her face and you girls would still think it was hot.
Well yeah, but that's hot when anyone does it!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #173
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

He's definitely bigger than he was even just a couple of weeks ago. It's very noticeable on his arms for sure...I can't believe production goes all in in just about 4 months!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #174
maluka
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Well yeah, but that's hot when anyone does it!
Erk.....

Well, where is Henry right now?
I need to see him! I him and a day without a new pic of him drives me crazy I could die...

Well, I'm crazy anyways

Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #175
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Was there ever this many girls drooling over Superman once Super Returns had come out? I don't think Routh had this large of a fan base. It's really nice to see Cavill getting all this support of admiration he's been getting from fans and his fellow actors. Dude's just straight up humble. Definitely on the way to becoming the Superman of this generation