The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Default Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I realise that there is the "I love Rami's trilogy" thread but looking at how in the Bat-boards there is seperate threads for the BM89, Returns ect I think the same should be for these films.

Spider-Man 1 is my opinion the best film in Rami's trilogy as it was a very good film but also a very good comic book adaption. I need to watch this again to see my more recent thoughts.
Let's start this thread off!
What is your favourite scene? For me it's the upside down kiss!

Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
RiXi
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I was 6 years old when I saw it in theater.
Goblin really scared me, in a good way.
The line "That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?" had me laughing for like 20 minutes. I was 6, remember.
My favorite scene has to be the final fight, still great!
When the movie came out on vhs, I probably saw it like 50 times.
Can't believe now how excited me and my cousins were for Spidey 2. We literally waited in front of the TV for the movie spots
Back in 2004 (and later in 2007), my birthday party was Spidey-themed. And (just like any other mexican kid that year), I had an Spider-Man piñata!

I really, really loved Raimi's trilogy, but when I see them now I don't think they are THAT great as I remembered. In fact, I think they are really kid-friendly, and, well, that may be one of the resons I really liked the movie as a kid.
When I saw Spidey 3 I was big enough (11) to say "...wait, that's kinda stupid, isn't it?".

So, I'd say Spider-Man was a great movie, but it's probably my childhood talking.
Btw, my friends and family were shocked when I not only defended, but also admitted I prefered The Amazing Spider-Man

RiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I was like eight when I saw SM1, that and toy story were my favourite movies as a kid.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I think this is just as good as the second to be honest. Raimi absolutely nailed the origin. Dafoe was great as Norman, but yeah his suit was a little lame.

The only thing I'd change about the film is the god-damn awful line: "You're the one who's out Gobby, out of your mind!"

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I think this is just as good as the second to be honest. Raimi absolutely nailed the origin. Dafoe was great as Norman, but yeah his suit was a little lame.

The only thing I'd change about the film is the god-damn awful line: "You're the one who's out Gobby, out of your mind!"
I'm like theonly one in the universe who finds that line to be funny.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

This was the only movie in my life I bought the tickets in advance for.

I was excited Sam Raimi was directing. You know, the guy from Evil Dead, the guy who had directed Darkman, which I had loved so much.

It disappointed me big time though. Maybe if I had been younger... but I found it to be incredibly and unnecessarily predictable and commercial. The movie had plenty of incoherences, like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

Goblin wasn't much better. The suit was horrible as was the mask, which is a terrible mistake given that Dafoe had the perfect face for the character. And the Green Goblin himself had little to no purpose once he kills the Oscorp board. Only thing he insisted on was becoming Spidey's best friend, even though it's never explained what for; "Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy!" Yes Goblin... what exactly? And why?

Anyways, that's on top of my head right now.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post

I was excited Sam Raimi was directing. You know, the guy from Evil Dead, the guy who had directed Darkman, which I had loved so much.

It disappointed me big time though. Maybe if I had been younger... but I found it to be incredibly and unnecessarily predictable and commercial. The movie had plenty of incoherences, like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

Goblin wasn't much better. The suit was horrible as was the mask, which is a terrible mistake given that Dafoe had the perfect face for the character. And the Green Goblin himself had little to no purpose once he kills the Oscorp board. Only thing he insisted on was becoming Spidey's best friend, even though it's never explained what for; "Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy!" Yes Goblin... what exactly? And why?

Interesting, since hulk was your favourite character did you not buy tickets to see him in advance?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Interesting, since hulk was your favourite character did you not buy tickets to see him in advance?
Ah, Spider-man had taught me that lesson. the movie won't be better because I buy my tickets in advance.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Quote:

Every time I see the film, this is what sticks out to me. It's interesting, he kinda gets his goal in his first real appearance, within minutes actually, but that leaves him purposeless the rest of the film, just waiting to be defeated by Spidey.... I still enjoy the film, and agree with some of your points.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Every time I see the film, this is what sticks out to me. It's interesting, he kinda gets his goal in his first real appearance, within minutes actually, but that leaves him purposeless the rest of the film, just waiting to be defeated by Spidey.... I still enjoy the film, and agree with some of your points.
I wouldn't say it leaves him purposeless, his purpose turns to Spider-Man.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I wouldn't say it leaves him purposeless, his purpose turns to Spider-Man.
Spider-man is admittedly just a means to achieve something else. He wants Spider-man's partnership because of, Green Goblin explains himself, what they could accomplish together, what they could create or destroy. Never it's explained what he wanted to accomplish, create or destroy. The script just never wants to go beyond getting Spider-man's affection.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Though it is admittedly weak, there is a thin stream of logic in Goblin's actions. He doesn't have an end goal, but the Goblin persona presents itself when Norman faces an obstacle in his life. He emerges to kill those who oppose his business progression, and then becomes obsessed with Spiderman when he threatens to undermine it.

There is definitely a stronger plot out there, but it's a solid enough foundation for a character who is defined by his rapidly deteriorating mental state.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Though it is admittedly weak, there is a thin stream of logic in Goblin's actions. He doesn't have an end goal, but the Goblin persona presents itself when Norman faces an obstacle in his life. He emerges to kill those who oppose his business progression, and then becomes obsessed with Spiderman when he threatens to undermine it.

There is definitely a stronger plot out there, but it's a solid enough foundation for a character who is defined by his rapidly deteriorating mental state.
Well, he certainly did things sloppy. He had Spider-man unconscious, for hours on the top of a building and, for a mask who wears a mask himself, Goblin couldn't think of unmasking Spider-man right away so he could have something to blackmail or control him. It was later than, by accident, he kind of got how important his secret identity was. The movie had enough to get it going, but ity was far from solid.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Just because the villain is mentally unstable, doesn't excuse (love SM1 btw) having ridiculous objectives and plot points not fully explained.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
PeterBenParker
Side-Kick

Quote:

Loved this movie growing up, but as I re-watched it when I got older, I didn't really like it anymore.

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Avengers
Batman
Batman Begins
Spider-Man 2
The Crow
Daredevil: Director's Cut
Thor
Batman Returns
Iron Man
Kick-Ass
Hulk
Captain America: The First Avenger
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBenParker View Post

Loved this movie growing up, but as I re-watched it when I got older, I didn't really like it anymore.
I still think it's near as good as when I first saw it. I have heard that alot though.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #17
bapi
Side-Kick

Unused design for Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus who was in David Koepp's original script:

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Makes me appreciate Willem Dafoe's Goblin even more now...

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
Picard Sisko

I loved SM1 growing up, and still appreciate it to this date. To me, the first half of the film is a fantastic adaption of Amazing Fantasy 15… the second half seems like a tacked on extra story just to give Spider-Man a villain to fight.

The first half (origin story) I'd give a 9/10. The second half (Green Goblin) I would score a 6/10… giving it an overall score of 7.5/10

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Well, he certainly did things sloppy. He had Spider-man unconscious, for hours on the top of a building and, for a mask who wears a mask himself, Goblin couldn't think of unmasking Spider-man right away so he could have something to blackmail or control him. It was later than, by accident, he kind of got how important his secret identity was. The movie had enough to get it going, but ity was far from solid.
I think in the SM1 official novelization, it explains that GG didn't want to take off Spider-Man's mask because it was not honorable. I guess Norman Osborn was secretly a Klingon.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post

Looks like Hugo Strange or Walter White wearing Doc Ock's harness.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think in the SM1 official novelization, it explains that GG didn't want to take off Spider-Man's mask because it was not honorable. I guess Norman Osborn was secretly a Klingon.
Lol, thanks for the info, Picard.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #23
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Lol, thanks for the info, Picard.
Haha no problem!

If my memory is correct, it also explains that his mask comes from his personal collection. He basically gives it technological upgrades to fit with his costume. I suppose that makes sense… sort of...

Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #24
Airnick
RTTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
Unused design for Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus who was in David Koepp's original script:

Wow that goblin design is pretty damn ugly.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.

i too believe sm1 was the best in the trilogy. i don't and never have and never will get wat was so great about sm2.

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote