The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,349
Default Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I realise that there is the "I love Rami's trilogy" thread but looking at how in the Bat-boards there is seperate threads for the BM89, Returns ect I think the same should be for these films.

Spider-Man 1 is my opinion the best film in Rami's trilogy as it was a very good film but also a very good comic book adaption. I need to watch this again to see my more recent thoughts.
Let's start this thread off!
What is your favourite scene? For me it's the upside down kiss!

__________________
Marvel Summer 2014 Ratings
Captain America:The Winter Soilder 8/10
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
RiXi
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mexico
Posts: 107
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I was 6 years old when I saw it in theater.
Goblin really scared me, in a good way.
The line "That's a cute outfit, did your husband give it to you?" had me laughing for like 20 minutes. I was 6, remember.
My favorite scene has to be the final fight, still great!
When the movie came out on vhs, I probably saw it like 50 times.
Can't believe now how excited me and my cousins were for Spidey 2. We literally waited in front of the TV for the movie spots
Back in 2004 (and later in 2007), my birthday party was Spidey-themed. And (just like any other mexican kid that year), I had an Spider-Man piñata!

I really, really loved Raimi's trilogy, but when I see them now I don't think they are THAT great as I remembered. In fact, I think they are really kid-friendly, and, well, that may be one of the resons I really liked the movie as a kid.
When I saw Spidey 3 I was big enough (11) to say "...wait, that's kinda stupid, isn't it?".

So, I'd say Spider-Man was a great movie, but it's probably my childhood talking.
Btw, my friends and family were shocked when I not only defended, but also admitted I prefered The Amazing Spider-Man

RiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,349
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I was like eight when I saw SM1, that and toy story were my favourite movies as a kid.

__________________
Marvel Summer 2014 Ratings
Captain America:The Winter Soilder 8/10
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,649
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I think this is just as good as the second to be honest. Raimi absolutely nailed the origin. Dafoe was great as Norman, but yeah his suit was a little lame.

The only thing I'd change about the film is the god-damn awful line: "You're the one who's out Gobby, out of your mind!"

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,349
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I think this is just as good as the second to be honest. Raimi absolutely nailed the origin. Dafoe was great as Norman, but yeah his suit was a little lame.

The only thing I'd change about the film is the god-damn awful line: "You're the one who's out Gobby, out of your mind!"
I'm like theonly one in the universe who finds that line to be funny.

__________________
Marvel Summer 2014 Ratings
Captain America:The Winter Soilder 8/10
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

This was the only movie in my life I bought the tickets in advance for.

I was excited Sam Raimi was directing. You know, the guy from Evil Dead, the guy who had directed Darkman, which I had loved so much.

It disappointed me big time though. Maybe if I had been younger... but I found it to be incredibly and unnecessarily predictable and commercial. The movie had plenty of incoherences, like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

Goblin wasn't much better. The suit was horrible as was the mask, which is a terrible mistake given that Dafoe had the perfect face for the character. And the Green Goblin himself had little to no purpose once he kills the Oscorp board. Only thing he insisted on was becoming Spidey's best friend, even though it's never explained what for; "Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy!" Yes Goblin... what exactly? And why?

Anyways, that's on top of my head right now.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,349
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
This was the only movie in my life I bought the tickets in advance for.

I was excited Sam Raimi was directing. You know, the guy from Evil Dead, the guy who had directed Darkman, which I had loved so much.

It disappointed me big time though. Maybe if I had been younger... but I found it to be incredibly and unnecessarily predictable and commercial. The movie had plenty of incoherences, like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

Goblin wasn't much better. The suit was horrible as was the mask, which is a terrible mistake given that Dafoe had the perfect face for the character. And the Green Goblin himself had little to no purpose once he kills the Oscorp board. Only thing he insisted on was becoming Spidey's best friend, even though it's never explained what for; "Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy!" Yes Goblin... what exactly? And why?

Anyways, that's on top of my head right now.
Interesting, since hulk was your favourite character did you not buy tickets to see him in advance?

__________________
Marvel Summer 2014 Ratings
Captain America:The Winter Soilder 8/10
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Interesting, since hulk was your favourite character did you not buy tickets to see him in advance?
Ah, Spider-man had taught me that lesson. the movie won't be better because I buy my tickets in advance.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Hellion
He's Not Serious
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Southern CA--with the other beautiful people
Posts: 4,708
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
This was the only movie in my life I bought the tickets in advance for.

I was excited Sam Raimi was directing. You know, the guy from Evil Dead, the guy who had directed Darkman, which I had loved so much.

It disappointed me big time though. Maybe if I had been younger... but I found it to be incredibly and unnecessarily predictable and commercial. The movie had plenty of incoherences, like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

Goblin wasn't much better. The suit was horrible as was the mask, which is a terrible mistake given that Dafoe had the perfect face for the character. And the Green Goblin himself had little to no purpose once he kills the Oscorp board. Only thing he insisted on was becoming Spidey's best friend, even though it's never explained what for; "Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy!" Yes Goblin... what exactly? And why?

Anyways, that's on top of my head right now.
Every time I see the film, this is what sticks out to me. It's interesting, he kinda gets his goal in his first real appearance, within minutes actually, but that leaves him purposeless the rest of the film, just waiting to be defeated by Spidey.... I still enjoy the film, and agree with some of your points.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,797
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Every time I see the film, this is what sticks out to me. It's interesting, he kinda gets his goal in his first real appearance, within minutes actually, but that leaves him purposeless the rest of the film, just waiting to be defeated by Spidey.... I still enjoy the film, and agree with some of your points.
I wouldn't say it leaves him purposeless, his purpose turns to Spider-Man.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #11
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Every time I see the film, this is what sticks out to me. It's interesting, he kinda gets his goal in his first real appearance, within minutes actually, but that leaves him purposeless the rest of the film, just waiting to be defeated by Spidey.... I still enjoy the film, and agree with some of your points.





Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
I wouldn't say it leaves him purposeless, his purpose turns to Spider-Man.
Spider-man is admittedly just a means to achieve something else. He wants Spider-man's partnership because of, Green Goblin explains himself, what they could accomplish together, what they could create or destroy. Never it's explained what he wanted to accomplish, create or destroy. The script just never wants to go beyond getting Spider-man's affection.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,649
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Though it is admittedly weak, there is a thin stream of logic in Goblin's actions. He doesn't have an end goal, but the Goblin persona presents itself when Norman faces an obstacle in his life. He emerges to kill those who oppose his business progression, and then becomes obsessed with Spiderman when he threatens to undermine it.

There is definitely a stronger plot out there, but it's a solid enough foundation for a character who is defined by his rapidly deteriorating mental state.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Though it is admittedly weak, there is a thin stream of logic in Goblin's actions. He doesn't have an end goal, but the Goblin persona presents itself when Norman faces an obstacle in his life. He emerges to kill those who oppose his business progression, and then becomes obsessed with Spiderman when he threatens to undermine it.

There is definitely a stronger plot out there, but it's a solid enough foundation for a character who is defined by his rapidly deteriorating mental state.
Well, he certainly did things sloppy. He had Spider-man unconscious, for hours on the top of a building and, for a mask who wears a mask himself, Goblin couldn't think of unmasking Spider-man right away so he could have something to blackmail or control him. It was later than, by accident, he kind of got how important his secret identity was. The movie had enough to get it going, but ity was far from solid.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,349
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Just because the villain is mentally unstable, doesn't excuse (love SM1 btw) having ridiculous objectives and plot points not fully explained.

__________________
Marvel Summer 2014 Ratings
Captain America:The Winter Soilder 8/10
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
PeterBenParker
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 949
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
This was the only movie in my life I bought the tickets in advance for.

I was excited Sam Raimi was directing. You know, the guy from Evil Dead, the guy who had directed Darkman, which I had loved so much.

It disappointed me big time though. Maybe if I had been younger... but I found it to be incredibly and unnecessarily predictable and commercial. The movie had plenty of incoherences, like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

Goblin wasn't much better. The suit was horrible as was the mask, which is a terrible mistake given that Dafoe had the perfect face for the character. And the Green Goblin himself had little to no purpose once he kills the Oscorp board. Only thing he insisted on was becoming Spidey's best friend, even though it's never explained what for; "Imagine what we could accomplish together... what we could create. Or we could destroy!" Yes Goblin... what exactly? And why?

Anyways, that's on top of my head right now.


Loved this movie growing up, but as I re-watched it when I got older, I didn't really like it anymore.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
My Favorite CBMs:

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Avengers
Batman
Batman Begins
Spider-Man 2
The Crow
Daredevil: Director's Cut
Thor
Batman Returns
Iron Man
Kick-Ass
Hulk
Captain America: The First Avenger
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,349
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBenParker View Post


Loved this movie growing up, but as I re-watched it when I got older, I didn't really like it anymore.
I still think it's near as good as when I first saw it. I have heard that alot though.

__________________
Marvel Summer 2014 Ratings
Captain America:The Winter Soilder 8/10
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #17
bapi
Side-Kick
 
bapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,478
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Unused design for Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus who was in David Koepp's original script:




__________________
Manchester City, Werder Bremen, Chicago Bulls, New Jersey Devils and Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 supporter

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,154
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Makes me appreciate Willem Dafoe's Goblin even more now...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,154
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

I loved SM1 growing up, and still appreciate it to this date. To me, the first half of the film is a fantastic adaption of Amazing Fantasy 15… the second half seems like a tacked on extra story just to give Spider-Man a villain to fight.

The first half (origin story) I'd give a 9/10. The second half (Green Goblin) I would score a 6/10… giving it an overall score of 7.5/10

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,154
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Well, he certainly did things sloppy. He had Spider-man unconscious, for hours on the top of a building and, for a mask who wears a mask himself, Goblin couldn't think of unmasking Spider-man right away so he could have something to blackmail or control him. It was later than, by accident, he kind of got how important his secret identity was. The movie had enough to get it going, but ity was far from solid.
I think in the SM1 official novelization, it explains that GG didn't want to take off Spider-Man's mask because it was not honorable. I guess Norman Osborn was secretly a Klingon.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 35,508
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post

Looks like Hugo Strange or Walter White wearing Doc Ock's harness.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
Senator Pleasury
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,846
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I think in the SM1 official novelization, it explains that GG didn't want to take off Spider-Man's mask because it was not honorable. I guess Norman Osborn was secretly a Klingon.
Lol, thanks for the info, Picard.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #23
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated
 
Picard Sisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17,154
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Lol, thanks for the info, Picard.
Haha no problem!

If my memory is correct, it also explains that his mask comes from his personal collection. He basically gives it technological upgrades to fit with his costume. I suppose that makes sense… sort of...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Parker
"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #24
Airnick
RTTS
 
Airnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 2,627
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
Unused design for Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus who was in David Koepp's original script:



Wow that goblin design is pretty damn ugly.

__________________
You have to expect things of
Yourself before you can do them.~ Michael Jordan
Airnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
XtremelyBaneful
...it would be, for you.
 
XtremelyBaneful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,028
Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

i too believe sm1 was the best in the trilogy. i don't and never have and never will get wat was so great about sm2.

XtremelyBaneful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.