The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 01-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: Official Spider-Man 1 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremelyBaneful View Post
i too believe sm1 was the best in the trilogy. i don't and never have and never will get wat was so great about sm2.
Better villain for one. And the train sequence.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

SM2 took all that was great about the first film and just made it 10000X better. Better story, better CGI, better action/fight sequences, much better character development for Peter Parker, more interesting villain, and the list goes on.

The only thing I'd say is better about SM1 is that I liked MJ a lot more in that film. Also, it was the first time you ever saw Spidey on the big screen, so that was EXCITING.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #28
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Watching Spider-man 1 again it's still a fairly enjoyable and faithful adaption to Amazing Fantasy#15, some of the original 60-70 Spider-Man comics and in some extent of Ultimate Spider-Man#1-7 and the 90 animated series). Willem Dafoe was a perfect live action version of the 90s cartoon Norman with the multiple personality Norman/Green Goblin. Tobey was a pretty decent Peter(looking back I hated how they played up his nerdy aspect with him being bullied and ignored by everyone including bus drivers and nerdy girls who won't let him have a seats). His Spider-Man was best in this movie and the Spider-Man 2 game. It's understandable why Peter was more serious and somber in the sequels but we didn't really see any truly funny moments as Spider-Man except once or twice. We see actors playing off Spider-Man or Peter and more people playing off Tobey Maguire Peter.

I agree it had some bad moments like Spider-man not putting his mask in front of Mary Jane (putting your mask on takes 1 second and he changed much faster at the bugle when goblin grabbed Jameson's neck), Peter Parker showing his powers and spider-webs in front of his whole school and no one guessing he could be Spider-man some time later, or the wrestling place knowing Peter's face and spider-powers, even his "Spider-man" nickname ad not getting back at him for letting the burglar escape.

But the good outweighs the bad to me and it's a mostly solid Spider-Man adaption/movie and I still enjoy it immensely(I put it number 3 behind Spider-Man 2 and the Amazing Spider-Man among all 4 Spider-Man movies, 5 if you include Spider-Man 2.1). I'm glad we had the Raimi movie to be the start off point in all Spider-Man movies because it made me a fan but at the same time I still wish Mark Webb Amazing Spider-Man with better editing and less scenes cut out especially with Dr.Connors it could have been a great introduction to the Spider-Man universe as well.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #29
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
SM2 took all that was great about the first film and just made it 10000X better. Better story, better CGI, better action/fight sequences, much better character development for Peter Parker, more interesting villain, and the list goes on.

The only thing I'd say is better about SM1 is that I liked MJ a lot more in that film. Also, it was the first time you ever saw Spidey on the big screen, so that was EXCITING.
agreed.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #30
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

That concept art for GG was awful glad they didn't use it.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #31
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

The only good Raimi film. An incredibly concise and tightly written origin story. It's fun, bouncy, and retains the cheesy but charming "awe-shucks" quality of the 60s comic without over doing it or diving too deep into awkward and forced melodrama *coughcoughSpiderman2coughcough*. Sorry, I just don't see the love for Spider-Man 2. I read all the praise and just think "What are these people seeing!?"

It's a little dated looking now but I still think it's one of the better examples of the genre.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #32
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I really wish they would do a screening of the old Spider-Man films. Would love to see SM1-2 on the big screen again.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #33
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
I really wish they would do a screening of the old Spider-Man films. Would love to see SM1-2 on the big screen again.
I too would enjoy that. It's been a decade between drinks.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #34
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
The only good Raimi film. An incredibly concise and tightly written origin story. It's fun, bouncy, and retains the cheesy but charming "awe-shucks" quality of the 60s comic without over doing it or diving too deep into awkward and forced melodrama *coughcoughSpiderman2coughcough*. Sorry, I just don't see the love for Spider-Man 2. I read all the praise and just think "What are these people seeing!?"

It's a little dated looking now but I still think it's one of the better examples of the genre.
SM1 is the better Spidey movie, SM2 is the better movie IMO.

I have problems with SM2 but there is so much greatness so I probably like it but yeah it is over-rated.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Old 05-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
SM1 is the better Spidey movie, SM2 is the better movie IMO.

I have problems with SM2 but there is so much greatness so I probably like it but yeah it is over-rated.
See, I don't even see it as a "better movie"...except on a technical level. Most all of the dialogue is forced, awkward and hokey. The chemistry between Peter and MJ is a dried up husk, they seem absolutely miserable together. We are supposed to feel like these two LOVE each other. I know they are on rocky ground, but shouldn't we at least get the feeling they can stand to be around each other? There is no levity with them. Everything is some big soap opera moment of melodrama and the constant moralizing from EVERYBODY in the film is agonizingly forced. Almost every character Peter comes into contact with in this film gives him a sit down and goes over the themes of the film with him and tell him exactly what to do/think/feel. Aunt May does it. Octavious does it. Mrs. Octavious does it. Ghost Ben does it. Some random doctor does it. It's like "come on already we GET it!!!!"

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #36
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I love SM1, but SM2 is a much better movie. The film does a great job expressing its themes and it is one of the few films that shows why being Spider-Man is hard. The dialogue is not forced at all, and the distance between MJ and Peter makes sense given how SM1 ended and that MJ is considering on marrying someone else. It is awkward. Are you going to tell me this WOULDN'T be awkward for you in real life? It feels very natural to me. I love Molina's Ock. One of the best CBM villains ever.

Sorry, I just don't agree with you. At all.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #37
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
SM1 is the better Spidey movie
No, it's not. Peter's whole story of power loss and Spider-Man no more is ripped from the comics in SM-2. Doc Ock has the comic book stamp all over him; http://molinaock.blogspot.ie/

Harry seeing his dad's ghost telling him to avenge him and then finding the Goblin lair. Aunt May struggling to make ends meet. Peter struggling to hold down a job. All from the comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I love SM1, but SM2 is a much better movie. The film does a great job expressing its themes and it is one of the few films that shows why being Spider-Man is hard. The dialogue is not forced at all, and the distance between MJ and Peter makes sense given how SM1 ended and that MJ is considering on marrying someone else. It is awkward. Are you going to tell me this WOULDN'T be awkward for you in real life? It feels very natural to me. I love Molina's Ock. One of the best CBM villains ever.

Exactly. MJ keeps giving Peter chances to be there for her and he keeps letting her down. She wants him to show that he can be there for her but he never does. Then when he comes to her and says he wants to be with her, she is afraid to trust him.

Also you never get the feeling they cannot stand being around each other. The only time there's an all out unpleasant scene between them is at the Planteterium, where MJ tells him everyone else from Aunt May to her useless father can show up to see her play, but her so called best friend can't.

That was one of the best scenes in the movie. The whole planeterium sequence I mean. First MJ rejects him, then Harry accosts him in a bitter drunken state and publicly slaps him. Then to add the final kick while he's down, MJ and John announce their engagement.

Just a high emotional sequence all around and Toby, Kirsten and James are fantastic in it. In true Raimi fashion the whole scene is not drenched in misery, because we get some of the light hearted moments from Jonah Jameson (great to see him out of the Bugle office), and Peter always missing the hor dourves on the trays.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 05-30-2014 at 05:29 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
OriginalMiles
Hold on to toast...

I much prefer Spider-Man 1 but I cannot deny that Spider-Man 2 is the better movie.

My favourite parts of the trilogy come from this movie!

I like the final fight in the abandoned building. Really brutal. I hear somewhere that it was almost too brutal and they had to cut parts of it out.

Anybody know if that's true?

You get a limited edition replica of Sam Raimi's skeleton as a preorder bonus
SHH20 - The King

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #39
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I am aware that Spider-Man 2 adapts Spider-Man No More. I am also aware of your blogspot, an interesting read, you've shared it before several times. While I agree that he is closer to the comics than most people realise there was still several changes, making him more sympathetic than the "Master Planner". While I felt these changes were not needed to fit SM2's story he was brilliant so I have no gripes with him

Thing is, Peter in this film is exactly the same as what he was in high school. I wanted to see the character grow more confident and witty, while he's still a nice, smart guy he felt too much like George Mcfly than Peter Parker.

Spider-Man moves and swings great. The responsibility of the character is explored well and I loved seeing that. Something equally important is the quips. "Heres your change" and "I have an act for that". Not really getting that iconic, wise ass personality. It's like a Superman who isn't this boy scout. It takes 0.5 off my rating certainly. I don't see how Spidey 2 can be definative if the hero's personality (the title character, Spider-Man) is not really there.

Mary Jane. Wants to get with Peter but goes with John. Ok, why does she want Spidey also (she pretends John is Spidey while kissing him)? She just felt too winey in the film, look at the scene where she holds his face and says "your such a mystery". It felt lukeworm and forced IMO. Leaving John at the alter was just kinda sad IMO.

Just an opinion.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #40
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
I much prefer Spider-Man 1 but I cannot deny that Spider-Man 2 is the better movie.

My favourite parts of the trilogy come from this movie!

I like the final fight in the abandoned building. Really brutal. I hear somewhere that it was almost too brutal and they had to cut parts of it out.

Anybody know if that's true?
Originally he spat out blood when gobby punches him. It was changed to spit to ensure a PG rating.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #41
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally he spat out blood when gobby punches him. It was changed to spit to ensure a PG rating.
No, it was to obtain a PG-13 rating. Not a PG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
No, it's not. Peter's whole story of power loss and Spider-Man no more is ripped from the comics in SM-2. Doc Ock has the comic book stamp all over him; http://molinaock.blogspot.ie/

Harry seeing his dad's ghost telling him to avenge him and then finding the Goblin lair. Aunt May struggling to make ends meet. Peter struggling to hold down a job. All from the comics.

Exactly. MJ keeps giving Peter chances to be there for her and he keeps letting her down. She wants him to show that he can be there for her but he never does. Then when he comes to her and says he wants to be with her, she is afraid to trust him.

Also you never get the feeling they cannot stand being around each other. The only time there's an all out unpleasant scene between them is at the Planteterium, where MJ tells him everyone else from Aunt May to her useless father can show up to see her play, but her so called best friend can't.

That was one of the best scenes in the movie. The whole planeterium sequence I mean. First MJ rejects him, then Harry accosts him in a bitter drunken state and publicly slaps him. Then to add the final kick while he's down, MJ and John announce their engagement.

Just a high emotional sequence all around and Toby, Kirsten and James are fantastic in it. In true Raimi fashion the whole scene is not drenched in misery, because we get some of the light hearted moments from Jonah Jameson (great to see him out of the Bugle office), and Peter always missing the hor dourves on the trays.
Exactly!

This movie explores their relationship very well, and I love how you can see Peter journey reflected in Octavius's obsession with his project (that drives him mad). Everything is worked into the plot flawlessly.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #42
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I am aware that Spider-Man 2 adapts Spider-Man No More. I am also aware of your blogspot, an interesting read, you've shared it before several times. While I agree that he is closer to the comics than most people realise there was still several changes, making him more sympathetic than the "Master Planner". While I felt these changes were not needed to fit SM2's story he was brilliant so I have no gripes with him

Thing is, Peter in this film is exactly the same as what he was in high school. I wanted to see the character grow more confident and witty, while he's still a nice, smart guy he felt too much like George Mcfly than Peter Parker.

Spider-Man moves and swings great. The responsibility of the character is explored well and I loved seeing that. Something equally important is the quips. "Heres your change" and "I have an act for that". Not really getting that iconic, wise ass personality. It's like a Superman who isn't this boy scout. It takes 0.5 off my rating certainly. I don't see how Spidey 2 can be definative if the hero's personality (the title character, Spider-Man) is not really there.

Mary Jane. Wants to get with Peter but goes with John. Ok, why does she want Spidey also (she pretends John is Spidey while kissing him)? She just felt too winey in the film, look at the scene where she holds his face and says "your such a mystery". It felt lukeworm and forced IMO. Leaving John at the alter was just kinda sad IMO.

Just an opinion.
Because she is about to get married to a guy she isn't sure she is in love with, and the most romantic moment of her life was the upside down kiss in the rain. So, she was reliving that moment to see if he was the one, and it wasn't the same. The symbolism of the scene is obvious.

As for the leaving John at the alter, that is a movie cliche in order to add a ticking clock to her decision making process. Cliche, sure. But, it works.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
OriginalMiles
Hold on to toast...

Quote:
Was that seriously what they had to change?

Strange that all that stood between SM1 and a PG-13 rating was blood from his mouth.

You get a limited edition replica of Sam Raimi's skeleton as a preorder bonus
SHH20 - The King

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #44
Nardz937
Side-Kick

I was eight years old when I watched Spider-Man 1 on the first day it came out. Dragged my mom back for a second viewing before it went out of theaters. I'd never been so excited for a movie in my life.

Nardz937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:03 AM   #45
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:

Sm2 has aged 10000 times better then sm 1 has while. Sm1 is way less intertaining then sm2 now and the CGI in sm 1 dosnt look that great where sm2 the CGI still looks great.

spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #46
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Sm2 is not overatied it is my second favorite CBM ever and it was the first great CBM really has sm1 hasn't aged while and kind of the same thing with the 89 batman and the old supermans. When people talk about the best CBM ever sm2 is still brought up. Coming into this year there where like 4 or 5 CBM people talked about has the best top level then you have some a little below that. Top older and they way I would say people rank them based off looking at forms and creti reviews and such. 1. dark knight
2. avengers 3. sm2 4. iron man I think it is the most overatied CBM ever by a lot. 5. superman Then after that you have the next level below that. with movies like dark knight rises and probly the new captian America movie.

spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #47
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Because she is about to get married to a guy she isn't sure she is in love with, and the most romantic moment of her life was the upside down kiss in the rain. So, she was reliving that moment to see if he was the one, and it wasn't the same. The symbolism of the scene is obvious.

As for the leaving John at the alter, that is a movie cliche in order to add a ticking clock to her decision making process. Cliche, sure. But, it works.
It's the fact that she's reliving a moment that was not with Peter, who she loves. It's with Spidey.

I don't have a problem with it being cliche. It's a douchebag thing to do. Leaving John embarresed in front of friends and family, running across the the park with a big grin while doing it. I just found her unlikeable.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:36 AM   #48
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
It's the fact that she's reliving a moment that was not with Peter, who she loves. It's with Spidey.
"I think I always knew all this time who you really were".

After she kissed John, and didn't feel what she felt with the Spider-Man kiss, she arranges to meet Peter.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it being cliche. It's a douchebag thing to do. Leaving John embarresed in front of friends and family, running across the the park with a big grin while doing it. I just found her unlikeable.
It was a bad thing to do to John. But that was the character of MJ. Until she settled with Peter she did use men to fulfill her own insecurities. She even led Peter down the garden path initially and rejected and jilted him when he proposed to her the first time;

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #49
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

Quote:

That doesn't change that I fell they seem absolutely miserable any time they are on screen together. I get they are in a rough place. I know the situation calls for some awkwardness... but the dialogue is written in such a way, the actors perform together in such a way as to make every single interaction they have absolutely joyless. They have no spark what so ever. The entire love angle of the film is so forced it makes MJ out to be the worst person ever. The entire thing with John is cliche and underdeveloped.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen the movie is a while, but Peter doesn't know she's seeing anybody until the bombshell is dropped she just got engaged. What? How? When? How long has she been seeing this guy? Why didn't she tell Peter? You know, the guy she's been playing emotional ping-pong with forever?
Not to mention how she treats John....She's just an unlikable person through and through. She literally runs off the alter, smiling, while everybody is left there saying "WTF!!!!" It's played for the cute, "awwww yaa they're gonna be together" factor but just comes off as horribly cruel.

No need to apologize, I know the film is considered a gem, but I just never understood where the brilliance is. :/

Last edited by GremlinZilla89; 05-31-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #50
Angryfantasyfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen the movie is a while, but Peter doesn't know she's seeing anybody until the bombshell is dropped she just got engaged. What? How? When? How long has she been seeing this guy? Why didn't she tell Peter? You know, the guy she's been playing emotional ping-pong with forever?
They drifted apart since he rejected her at the end of the first movie. The scene at Aunt May's highlights it.

Quote:
It was a bad thing to do to John. But that was the character of MJ. Until she settled with Peter she did use men to fulfill her own insecurities. She even led Peter down the garden path initially and rejected and jilted him when he proposed to her the first time;
Naw, she made it pretty clear she wasn't interested in settling down from the beginning. Dating someone doesn't mean you will marry them, that's why you have to propose. ComicMJ, at that point in her life, would have never gotten engaged to John. She had to confront her father before she could even agree to marry Peter.

Last edited by Angryfantasyfan; 05-31-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Angryfantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote