The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #76
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - Part 13

Perhaps someone could write out a timeline on here then? I'm also getting confused now, as I no longer spend every waking hour on here and it's easy to lose track!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #77
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Going by what's been said in TW and by Singer about when DOFP is set this is the timeline:

- X3
- 1 year later (possibly less or possibly a bit more) during TW, Yuriko she's says to Wolverine she's been tracking him for a year.
- 2 years later after the main events of TW, Magneto and Professor X tell Logan at the airport they need his help as Sentinels are being built.
- 7 years later (approx) the events of DOFP take place. The future became apocalyptic in those years. And Sentinels have taken over.

It's not certain or exact because it's unclear when TW and it's epilogue scene are set. But it's most likely DOFP is around 7 years after the airport scene.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #78
kasjan
Side-Kick

Photo from 70's Logan and near Alkalki are from old Yashida archives. He gave it her to recognize Logan. Yukio was tracking over one year, but she didn't took that photos.
Old Yashida had obsession, it wasn't photos taken by Yukio, she just had to find Logan and bring him to Japan.
Mangold said The Wolverine is few years after TLS.

How about Havok leave mansion and works for government now? That's why he isn't on Charles or Erik side. Maybe government created X-Factor: Havok, Strong Guy,... and sends them for special assignments.

Also deiniftely in this movie has to be more than 2 time periods. They said it will be explained how Xavier is still alive (we know, but not all of people). In DOFP we have to see how he back from Moira's clinic to mansion, how he find Erik and how they decide to work together now. Maybe as retrospections, but it has to be shown.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #79
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
The movie doesn't explicitly say one way or another, but it does give evidence in one direction, and no evidence in the other direction.

"I've been tracking you for over a year"

*hands him a file of intel that she's compiled while tracking him*

*included is a picture of Logan and Storm at Alkali Lake from the events of X-Men 3*

Logical thinking would deduce that she was tracking him during the events of X-Men 3.

The movie doesn't indicate that other people were tracking him. It confirms that Yukio was. So we can't assume other people were tracking him.

She hands him a folder while saying she's been tracking him. We have to assume that this is the info she compiled on him. We can't assume that it's info other people gave her, because that's not supported by the story.

Meanwhile, I never noticed the picture of Logan from Origins: Wolverine, but it was likely a picture that was taken during his military days. Which would be official record, and wouldn't need tracking to find.
If Yukio was around to take the pictures of Wolverine in TLS while she was tracking him, then it wouldn't have taken long to find him would it?

Obviously she dug that stuff up in her search, and was searching because he was off the grid. C'mon people.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #80
kasjan
Side-Kick

Exactly, if she were there, she would tell Logan then what's going on.
She had those photos from Yashida, and had to find Logan.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #81
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjan View Post
Photo from 70's Logan and near Alkalki are from old Yashida archives. He gave it her to recognize Logan. Yukio was tracking over one year, but she didn't took that photos.
Old Yashida had obsession, it wasn't photos taken by Yukio, she just had to find Logan and bring him to Japan.
Mangold said The Wolverine is few years after TLS.

How about Havok leave mansion and works for government now? That's why he isn't on Charles or Erik side. Maybe government created X-Factor: Havok, Strong Guy,... and sends them for special assignments.

Also deiniftely in this movie has to be more than 2 time periods. They said it will be explained how Xavier is still alive (we know, but not all of people). In DOFP we have to see how he back from Moira's clinic to mansion, how he find Erik and how they decide to work together now. Maybe as retrospections, but it has to be shown.
Did Mangold specify that the main events of TW took place a few years after TLS or was he in fact talking about the epilogue scene?

Because that will have automatically have been a few years after TLS even if the main bulk of TW was only a year or so after. As far as I know we haven't had a definitive answer on that.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #82
kasjan
Side-Kick

,,James Mangold’s The Wolverine takes place “a few years” (according to Hugh Jackman) after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand as it’s not a spoiler to reveal that Logan’s in a pretty bad place at the beginning of the film."

Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #83
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
,,James Mangold’s The Wolverine takes place “a few years” (according to Hugh Jackman) after the events of X-Men: The Last Stand as it’s not a spoiler to reveal that Logan’s in a pretty bad place at the beginning of the film."
That still doesn't clarify that he is talking about the main bulk or he means overall with the epilogue scene. It's never been confirmed how long. Just like it wasn't with the OT movies.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #84
kasjan
Side-Kick

Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #85
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
The movie doesn't explicitly say one way or another, but it does give evidence in one direction, and no evidence in the other direction.

"I've been tracking you for over a year"

*hands him a file of intel that she's compiled while tracking him*

*included is a picture of Logan and Storm at Alkali Lake from the events of X-Men 3*

Logical thinking would deduce that she was tracking him during the events of X-Men 3.

The movie doesn't indicate that other people were tracking him. It confirms that Yukio was. So we can't assume other people were tracking him.

She hands him a folder while saying she's been tracking him. We have to assume that this is the info she compiled on him. We can't assume that it's info other people gave her, because that's not supported by the story.

Meanwhile, I never noticed the picture of Logan from Origins: Wolverine, but it was likely a picture that was taken during his military days. Which would be official record, and wouldn't need tracking to find.
Actually, all three photos are publicity photos from their respective films just made to look like grainy spy photos. One is the Origins photo (which was a headshot of Logan) clipped to the outside of the folder, one is Logan and Storm at Alkali Lake, and the other is of Logan, Storm, and Xavier outside Jean's house.

Now it could have meant Yukio was there snapping all of those X3 photos, or it could mean that a year ago, someone gave her this assignment and handed her a folder with those photos already included inside the folder. Yashida had obsessed over Logan since WWII, so I'm sure he had plenty of sources to get this stuff for him anytime.

Either is possible, the movie doesn't specify either way. Think whichever version you want, but both are entirely plausible.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #86
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Perhaps someone could write out a timeline on here then? I'm also getting confused now, as I no longer spend every waking hour on here and it's easy to lose track!
Why does one need to spend every waking hour on here to follow a simple timeline set by films one has viewed.

I must be a rocket scientist!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #87
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I would like to see a post credits sequence teasing the F4

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #88
kasjan
Side-Kick

If Johny is black, and Reed is younger than Johny, then I'm not interested.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #89
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful!

Quote:
If Johny is black, and Reed is younger than Johny, then I'm not interested.
Thankfully that's not relevant to the topic.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #90
kasjan
Side-Kick

@Nell
20 years before TLS we see 12yo Jean and 50+ Erik/Charles, they are in early 80's, not 90's, look at Mercedes car.
TLS is in 2003.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #91
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful!

There is nothing at all that suggests it takes place in 2003. It takes place around when it was released or even a little while after.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #92
kasjan
Side-Kick

Obvious not 2003, bot around.
If Logan got his adamantium in 1979, Jean can't be so much younger than Scott, who's about 16 in 1979.
IMO she's 12 in 1983. Mercedes car looks like late 70's in TLS first scene.
Also 22 years (1979-2001) is much enough, when Stryker asked Logan if it's 15 years since.
Back to Havok/Summers topic. If Scott would be 16 in 1979, and Alex left family in 1962 because didn't want to hurt them, he doesn't know about Scott existing. Maybe his parents decide to have next baby when he left, so Scott was born in 1963.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #93
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

You can't give the OT a date as the events of X1,X2 and X3 happened within 1 or 2 months between films period probably

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 10-11-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #94
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful!

If Logan "got his adamantium" in 1979 - which he didn't - then that would mean X1 takes place roughly around 1994, and it doesn't. The original trilogy films take place in the "not too distant future", meaning they take place in the year they're released or not too far afterward. They didn't plan these films to be watched years before they were released by some time traveling movie-goers...

If the prequels and spin-offs don't work into the timeline of the original trilogy, then you can't use them to redirect when the films were originally supposed to happen. It's fine if you want to work XO:W into your continuity, but it disrupts a lot in the other films. I certainly wouldn't base my timeline around it.

I'm fairly certain the connection between Alex and Scott will never be explored; not unless we get another FC-cast film after DoFP introducing Scott. But to be honest, I'm fine if they don't explain it. It'd likely be convoluted anyway. Just like I'm fine if they don't explain the connection between Mystique and Nightcrawler, though I think it'd add a lot to Mystique's story and character, and a nice way to lightly fold Nightcrawler back in the mix.

On an unrelated-ish note, I'm glad that most people aren't including the official games (barring the irrelevant 'X2: Wolverine's Revenge') in the continuity because then Nightcrawler would be the son of John Wraith. No, thank you.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #95
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
You can't give the OT a date as the events of X1,X2 and X3 happened within 1 or 2 months between films period probably
Also, the OT specifically avoided giving a set date. They merely said "in the not too distant future."

Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #96
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Why does one need to spend every waking hour on here to follow a simple timeline set by films one has viewed.

I must be a rocket scientist!
Just look at the discussions on these very pages, there's a lot of disagreement about dates. A lot of events in the films weren't given an exact year. And there's also disagreement about the number of time periods that will be shown in DoFP.

So it's not exactly 'definitive'. And I don't know why you are always so irritable lately. Reminds me why I don't spend every waking hour on here.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #97
Angamb
Banned User

Good to see I wasnt the only one who got that feeling from most of his comments.

Now I know Im not crazy, lol

Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #98
kasjan
Side-Kick

Styrker asked not sai 15, co na be 22.
Yes Logan got Adamantium in 1979, six years after he and Victor where in Vietnam.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #99
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
If Logan "got his adamantium" in 1979 - which he didn't - then that would mean X1 takes place roughly around 1994, and it doesn't. The original trilogy films take place in the "not too distant future", meaning they take place in the year they're released or not too far afterward. They didn't plan these films to be watched years before they were released by some time traveling movie-goers...

If the prequels and spin-offs don't work into the timeline of the original trilogy, then you can't use them to redirect when the films were originally supposed to happen. It's fine if you want to work XO:W into your continuity, but it disrupts a lot in the other films. I certainly wouldn't base my timeline around it.

I'm fairly certain the connection between Alex and Scott will never be explored; not unless we get another FC-cast film after DoFP introducing Scott. But to be honest, I'm fine if they don't explain it. It'd likely be convoluted anyway. Just like I'm fine if they don't explain the connection between Mystique and Nightcrawler, though I think it'd add a lot to Mystique's story and character, and a nice way to lightly fold Nightcrawler back in the mix.

On an unrelated-ish note, I'm glad that most people aren't including the official games (barring the irrelevant 'X2: Wolverine's Revenge') in the continuity because then Nightcrawler would be the son of John Wraith. No, thank you.
It's simple, really.

There are some minor errors and contradictions in the continuity, no greater in the X-Men film series than in any other expansive series of films. Star Wars has continuity errors and contradictions just as big, if not bigger, than anything found in the X-Men films.

Certain pieces of dialogue from X-Men, like "15 years" (in regards to Logan and Stryker), Xavier and Magneto meeting at 17, and a couple things from X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, like Xavier walking when recruiting Jean Grey, or recruiting Cyclops, Emma Frost, and the other students, respectively, and other minor things like various versions of Emma Frost, Beast, or Bolivar Trask, are simple errors. They don't break a timeline, they are simply things that people had better ideas about later on down the line.

The continuity isn't broken. It's not irreparable. It doesn't even need to be repaired in the first place. It is what it is.

Just accept that a couple small scenes, and a couple pieces of dialogue don't line up, and the movies flow together just fine.

For X-Maniac, wanting a timeline, it's simple:

X-Men: First Class (1963) -> X-Men Origins: Wolverine (1973-1979, or 1975-1981) -> X-Men (2012) -> X2 (2012) -> X-Men: The Last Stand (2013)* -> The Wolverine (2014) -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023-new 1973)

*Marked X-Men 3 in 2013 to account for the new President from X2. Timing would apply to the real world, as an election would be held in 2012, with a new President taking oath in 2013. Plus, with Alkali Lake being all snowy in X2, and not so snowy in X-Men 3, you could say that X2 takes place in winter of 2012, with X-Men 3 taking place in spring or summer of 2013.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #100
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Quote:
It didn't fully clarify and it wasn't a full quote. So nip the attitude. We don't know the time frame for TW and anyone saying they know exactly are lying. It's never been pinpointed. None of the timelines have ever been pinpointed for the OT movies/TW. We just get vague guides. All we know for certain is the airport scene was 2 years after Japan. And DOFP is about 10 years after TLS.

Until we're told outright we can't be sure of any of the time periods.

Closed Thread