The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #226
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
"Even Whedon"?? Whedon has always been consistent that sequels should be smaller. His second seasons to both Buffy and Angel were a lot more personal.

Snyder takes the exact opposite view, and he's been explicit that the only option for the sequel, in his view, is to "go bigger". He said that they're going global, and has mentioned the issue of the rest of the world reacting to Superman being American. I think that whether or not you enjoy the sequel will come down to whether or not you share Goyer's understanding of the global political order.
I worded that wrong. Im not familiar with Whedon's work. It was never my cup of tea. But yes you're right, Snyder will make it more global when it comes to the worlds reactions and where Superman visits. That needs to happen, he's right. But when it comes down to the actual plot of Batman intervening plus whoever the villain is (Lex probably), it needs to be more personal. No matter what it's still more scaled down because we're not seeing alien invasions or other planets.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #227
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Missing a hero? He saved BILLIONS of people despite killing a good amount of Metropolis' people in his fight with Zod.
"Saving billions of lives" has also been done in the movies Skyline, Battle: Los Angeles, War of the Worlds, Pacific Rim, Star Trek, Star Trek into Darkness, Transformers, Transformers II, Transformers III, and Battleship. The movie Independence Day came out nearly twenty years ago, and thus the alien invasion plot is no longer that exciting in and of itself. A lot of moviegoers need more. Like a compelling character arc.

Quote:
I don't see why people wanted a remake of Superman: The Movie.
Strawman. There are plenty of great and beloved Superman stories that are not remakes of S:TM, disproving your implication that only one Superman story is well-liked.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #228
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Sorry that I don't have the mind of a second grader. Maybe then I could enjoy the mindless "fun" of Pacific Rim, and ignore how terribly every human character was written. I'm all for big popcorn movies, but not soulless and mindless ones like Pacific Rim. That movie was unbelievably boring aside from the monster battles. Even then, I thought the designs for the robots and monsters were weak. Honestly it was one of the few movies where I've wanted to walk out of the theater, but my friend paid for my ticket, so sadly it would've been rude to leave.
My wife and I had fun watching Pacific Rim....so are you saying we have the minds of second graders? That's pretty damn offensive if you are. I don't give a rat's ass whether you liked or hated any movie...but when you insult the people who had a different opinion about one than you did...then I care about your postings. I suggest you think hard before you do this again.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #229
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
"Saving billions of lives" has also been done in the movies Skyline, Battle: Los Angeles, War of the Worlds, Pacific Rim, Star Trek, Star Trek into Darkness, Transformers, Transformers II, Transformers III, and Battleship. The movie Independence Day came out nearly twenty years ago, and thus the alien invasion plot is no longer that exciting in and of itself. A lot of moviegoers need more. Like a compelling character arc.

Strawman. There are plenty of great and beloved Superman stories that are not remakes of S:TM, disproving your implication that only one Superman story is well-liked.
Im sick of the alien invasion plot too. Im super bored with it. That's why im not looking forward to Justice League if they do that. But you said the movie was missing a hero, which has nothing to do with how he went about saving those lives. He still saved the world and Metropolis from further damage. It was like a war, sometimes people die if you want to save more of them. He's also not the full-on Superman til the end, so he learns from that destructive fight he had with Zod. That's not just me saying this, it's coming from Goyers mouth.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #230
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Im sick of the alien invasion plot too. Im super bored with it. That's why im not looking forward to Justice League if they do that. But you said the movie was missing a hero, which has nothing to do with how he went about saving those lives. He still saved the world and Metropolis from further damage. It was like a war, sometimes people die if you want to save more of them. He's also not the full-on Superman til the end, so he learns from that destructive fight he had with Zod. That's not just me saying this, it's coming from Goyers mouth.
When I saw it was missing a hero, it was missing a hero that I'd get to know. I thought that was obvious from my post.

It's equivalent to saying that Green Lantern is missing a villain.... if someone wrote that would you chime in and say "but giant smoke cloud in space !!!!" I know that GL had a giant smoke cloud in space, but I still felt that that movie was missing a villain.

As for MoS being like war... Sorry, it wasn't like war.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #231
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
My wife and I had fun watching Pacific Rim....so are you saying we have the minds of second graders? That's pretty damn offensive if you are. I don't give a rat's ass whether you liked or hated any movie...but when you insult the people who had a different opinion about one than you did...then I care about your postings. I suggest you think hard before you do this again.
In my opinion, you have very bad taste in film, am I allowed to say that? Is that better?
Honestly, my words were pretty harsh because my opinion on the film was very harsh. No joke, it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I feel that the visuals tricked people into enjoying it.

MAYBE the second grader comment took it too far, but it's still my opinion that the movie was not very intelligently written, and I felt that I'd appreciate it a lot more if I was in second grade, and wasn't thinking so hard about how badly written the characters were.

Last edited by Rorschach2012; 10-14-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #232
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

you did not manage to make yourself look any better with that post Rorschach, it was still incredibly condescending.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #233
Rorschach2012
$

I guess I can understand how people would like it, and the only reason I can think of would be the fact that giant robots are fighting giant monsters. That was really the only appeal I can think of. The acting and writing imo were both very very poor. I was expecting a lot from the film, maybe some of my negative feelings toward it are from my high expectations

Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #234
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
you did not manage to make yourself look any better with that post Rorschach, it was still incredibly condescending.
God forbid anybody actually have a strong opinion. Let's all hold hands and never explicitly critique anything we don't like lest somebody's feelings get hurt.

Honestly... this culture of trying to be nice is hypocritical and bad for the world. You telling posters not to speak his mind on movies he doesn't like reminds me of children's soccer leagues where they don't keep score. Discussions should be maximally open, where anybody should have the right to praise what they love and lambast what they hate, and give their reasons why, without worrying what other people feel.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #235
Bren
Forevernoob

I enjoyed PR and I'm not bothered if someone else thinks I was stupid to do so...

Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #236
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I guess I can understand how people would like it, and the only reason I can think of would be the fact that giant robots are fighting giant monsters. That was really the only appeal I can think of. The acting and writing imo were both very very poor. I was expecting a lot from the film, maybe some of my negative feelings toward it are from my high expectations
I think the score was decent.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #237
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
God forbid anybody actually have a strong opinion. Let's all hold hands and never explicitly critique anything we don't like lest somebody's feelings get hurt.

Honestly... this culture of trying to be nice is hypocritical and bad for the world. You telling posters not to speak his mind on movies he doesn't like reminds me of children's soccer leagues where they don't keep score. Discussions should be maximally open, where anybody should have the right to praise what they love and lambast what they hate, and give their reasons why, without worrying what other people feel.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #238
shauner111
Side-Kick

I don't even remember the score.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #239
Rorschach2012
$

My post wasn't meant to be hurtful or offensive, I just have strong opinions towards the film. GDT is one of the greats. I can't understand how he could go from Pan's Labyrinth (one of the best movies of the 2000s) to Pacific Rim. It's a major step down imo. Anyways though, it seems I've derailed this thread.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #240
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:

I didn't say he couldn't post his opinion, it was the manner in which it was posted that was rude. There's more than one way to give your opinion on something.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #241
Bren
Forevernoob

I hope Superman kicks Batman's arse.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #242
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't even remember the score.
Youtube is your friend

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #243
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
I didn't say he couldn't post his opinion, it was the manner in which it was posted that was rude. There's more than one way to give your opinion on something.
I'll own up to it. Looking back, it was more offensive than I'd intended. I'm pretty harsh on scifi when I'm used to it being done well.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #244
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
My post wasn't meant to be hurtful or offensive, I just have strong opinions towards the film. GDT is one of the greats. I can't understand how he could go from Pan's Labyrinth (one of the best movies of the 2000s) to Pacific Rim. It's a major step down imo. Anyways though, it seems I've derailed this thread.
Im not really a fan of GDT but I do think he was trying to make a movie for his inner 12 year old self or something like that. I think that's what he said. Wanted to make a movie that little kids could be wowed over. That's fair enough. I guess he did his job well if that's the case. Maybe the people who enjoyed it were reminded of their childhood, the robots, the monsters, if they were into that stuff. A friend of mine loved it because it reminded him of Anime which he's a massive fan of.

But I never grew up with that stuff. So it did nothing for me other than some cool fight moments with the big screen + 3D, etc. I left the theater like "it was alright.." and my friend was going nuts.

I don't think Batman vs Superman is going to be ANYTHING like that movie.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #245
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
@DA champion.. Don't forget Avengers hundred alien invasion...
Well... alien invasions are what the are and they are in many movies.. but many villains and greatest and challenging villains are aliens as Galactus, Skrulls, Darkseid, Thanos, Brainiac... so I don't mind to be invaded in followed movies of JL, WF, MOS, Batman, Avengers movies...

Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #246
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
@DA champion.. Don't forget Avengers hundred alien invasion...
Well... alien invasions are what the are and they are in many movies.. but many villains and greatest and challenging villains are aliens as Galactus, Skrulls, Darkseid, Thanos, Brainiac... so I don't mind to be invaded in followed movies of JL, WF, MOS, Batman, Avengers movies...
The Avengers was an alien invasion movie, but I see what Whedon did. He made the Chittauri as underwhelming as possible. These guys were absolutely pathetic, and I think the US Air Force might have been enough to stop them, heck an archer could stop them, you wonder how they could have conquered any other planet. The point of TA was not the alien invasion. They were a plot device, not the plot. The point was for the Avengers to overcome their differences and come together. Because this is relatively different from Battle: Los Angeles or War of the Worlds, it worked.

I'd rather not see Darkseid, Thanos, Brainiac, etc anytime soon.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #247
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
I still loved MOS even though I agree. The movie had way more one-liners and CRAZY amounts of destruction/fighting sequences. The trailers made me think of a Nolan film with some JJ Abrams sci-fi thrown in on top. But it didn't feel like it was a Nolan movie at all. It felt more Snyder than I thought it would (which I should at myself for). And even more on the Abrams side of things.

Of course all of that stuff should be toned down here. There's no alien invasion. They know the critics couldn't stomach the amount of destruction in Metropolis, plus this is a different plot, so we wont be getting that again.

That might make it even easier for them to advertise this movie as some Nolan type thing. But I hope not.
Well I can't agree with the disconnected part between movie and trailers...
That was because many people thought that the movie won't be an origin film and it has to be an stablished Superman.. but the movie was about Superman learning to be Superman. yeah making mistakes but always taking care of people, eventhought the threat was so difficult... type of Batman Begins that's why I loved MOS and TDKT

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #248
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Im not really a fan of GDT but I do think he was trying to make a movie for his inner 12 year old self or something like that. I think that's what he said. Wanted to make a movie that little kids could be wowed over. That's fair enough. I guess he did his job well if that's the case. Maybe the people who enjoyed it were reminded of their childhood, the robots, the monsters, if they were into that stuff. A friend of mine loved it because it reminded him of Anime which he's a massive fan of.

But I never grew up with that stuff. So it did nothing for me other than some cool fight moments with the big screen + 3D, etc. I left the theater like "it was alright.." and my friend was going nuts.

I don't think Batman vs Superman is going to be ANYTHING like that movie.
I suspect that BvS is going to be like 300 with some global politics thrown in. We'll see Batman and Superman teaming up to fight one villain after another, one action sequence after another, with a parallel plot involving global politics and Lois Lane doing interviews. The movie will end with B and S teaming up to destroy Lex's army of robots, which was paid for by many governments.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #249
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
The Avengers was an alien invasion movie, but I see what Whedon did. He made the Chittauri as underwhelming as possible. These guys were absolutely pathetic, and I think the US Air Force might have been enough to stop them, heck an archer could stop them, you wonder how they could have conquered any other planet. The point of TA was not the alien invasion. They were a plot device, not the plot. The point was for the Avengers to overcome their differences and come together. Because this is relatively different from Battle: Los Angeles or War of the Worlds, it worked.

I'd rather not see Darkseid, Thanos, Brainiac, etc anytime soon.
I agree on the Avengers thing.. for me it was not so dangerous.. and the U.S. Force could handled but in that universe they looked pathetic and so underwhleming.. yeah I was refering for example in the new justice league movie if they made it or Avengers 3, FF reboot ect.. not soon but not so long

Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #250
roach
I am the night

Does the Justice League have a non alien foe?

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Closed Thread