The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
\S/JcDc\S/
Panned User

Doh Did viewing info/spoilers mess with your MOS experience? Will you avoid it this time?

I felt I kept up with MOS info so well that I was able to piece much of the movie together before seeing it. I am sure some people experienced this as well. Do you plan on staying away from spoilers and even some non spoiler info this time around? I feel like it will be near impossible to stay away, but if I do it could make it more enjoyable. Opinions?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Did viewing info/spoilers mess with your MOS experience? Will you avoid it this t

I usually keep myself quite spoiler free, and did so this time so most of MOS was a pleasant surprise. But I actually couldn't but help, even when not actively looking for the info, but find out about the ending with Zod. I didn't want to know but found out here. At the time I was not sure if it would be true or not, but even going down to the wire on the film I thought that Snyder and Co. weren't going to go there. I was wrong, yet the actual moment in the theatre still had a ton of impact for me. My jaw was already hanging low through most of the film's runtime and when the end of the Zod fight came my chin whiskers were certainly feeling a sticky floor. So I guess this worked for me, even with the information before hand. Still, I think just like last time once the threads start becoming a spoiler mine-field I will take a leave until I actually see the movie.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
smallville fan
Hero

Default Re: Did viewing info/spoilers mess with your MOS experience? Will you avoid it this t

I actually found out about the neck snapping beforehand unfortunately. That's the price you get for living in a country where the movie shows up a fortnight later(Australia) and when you are constantly exposed to the internet. Needless to say it did not ruin my experience at all and I was ok with it after seeing the circumstances, although I was shocked initially.

As for next time, I'll try.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I avoided all spoilers and I'm glad I did. I had no expectations and know nothing of the plot. When I saw the movie I was completely cold and I think that helped me view it with an open mind. I plan on doing the exact same thing for the sequel.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

It did but i knew before hand what I was getting into. No I plan on keeping up to date on spoilers for the sequel.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Masone
Side-Kick

I stay away from spoilers. I don't even watch trailers. The point of a trailer is to sell you on a movie, if I already know I want to see a movie there is no point in watching the trailer. Too many times have I seen people complain about a trailer spoiling a movie, I tend to stay away. I even close my eyes at the movie theater when the trailers come on lol.

I'm only on this forum until Lex and possibly WW are casts, then I'm gone until the movie comes out. I find staying spoiler free maximizes my viewing experience, and movies tend to come off better when I don't know what's going to happen.

Masone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I wish I hadn't known that Superman was going to kill Zod. I wonder how I would have reacted.

It was extremely hard to stay away from spoilers, partly because the movie came out two weeks later in Australia.

In general, previews are awful and they give away half the movie, for most movies.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Rowsdower!
Zoom Zoom Zoom

Yeah I heard about the Zod-killing thing a week or so before it came out. I wasn't sure if I believed it at the time, but I went into the movie at least somewhat expecting it. Maybe it would have bothered me if I hadn't known about it at all, I don't know.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Morg
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/JcDc\S/ View Post
I felt I kept up with MOS info so well that I was able to piece much of the movie together before seeing it. I am sure some people experienced this as well. Do you plan on staying away from spoilers and even some non spoiler info this time around? I feel like it will be near impossible to stay away, but if I do it could make it more enjoyable. Opinions?
Don't become a mod then

seen just about every spoiler for all the movies

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I wish I had known about Superman killing Zod at the end.

Knowing that awaited me would have prevented me from being subjected to a betrayal.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post

Knowing that awaited me would have prevented me from being subjected to a betrayal.
Give this man a Tony for best dramatic performance !!!

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
gdw
Side-Kick

I actually don't remember if I found out about the ending or not. I do know that it felt shocking when it happened.

I certainly wanted to remain more spoiler free than I did with Batman Begins (I read the whole script when it leaked.) Even trying this, I still ended up with a fairly good grasp of the over all plot before I saw it. It's amazing how much info is intentionally put out there about movie plots. Even just watching trailers; I really understand those who go so far as to close their eyes and pug their ears when the trailers start in the theater.

That said, trailers serve more purpose than just advertising the film; they also set the tone. Or at least they are supposed to. I've had many a film experience ruined by trailers that pitched a very different film than the one I eventually saw.
That may sound like an argument against watching trailers, but it really shows their importance. If I see NOTHING about a film, and only know that it's coming out, maybe who's in it, and whether or not I think I want to see it, then the tone/expectation of what it will be is fully concocted in my head, and can likely set me up for even more disappointment.

Not the best example, but imagine seeing Superman Returns, never knowing that it was meant to be tied to the Donner films. Granted there were many who saw the trailers, and still didn't know this, imagine how confusing it would have been.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
Give this man a Tony for best dramatic performance !!!
The criticism is no different than that tendered toward Iron Man 3, particularly with the Killian-Trevor-Mandarin pyramid.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:

Did you feel betrayed every time he's killed in the comic books too?

Old 11-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I really really don't know.

I definitely feel like the negative reviews bought me down off of the high I was on and made me go in already aware of the flaws - perhaps making them more obvious...

But then maybe it was better to have my expectations lowered. Maybe if it hadn't been for the reviews, my experience would have been even worse.

I mean, I know if I hadn't already been told a version of what was going to happen to Zod (though not the full thing), and I'd just gone in blind - I'd have probably got up and walked out... I needed to be a bit prepared.

So I think I'll probably just do the same thing this time around, but I won't have any of the expectations I had before MOS so I'm hoping I'll just be able to enjoy it, unless they do more things that really **** me off.

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Someone on FB actually spoiled the end of the movie for me. I panicked, thought he was just messing around, and when I saw that he was right, I was pissed.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

No, not really.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Did you feel betrayed every time he's killed in the comic books too?
If he did in the comics - and thankfully he has not in the ones I have read-then yes, I would feel betrayed. Superman is supposed to represent our highest aspirations, in terms of his super-powers, power, and embodiment of our best characteristics. He has no need to descend to the level of organisms inferior to him-such as murderering-when he has the powers of a god at his disposal. If a man can turn objects to ice with his breath or hell, even fly, then there is no need for him to murder, especially so savagely. There's a reason why Superman is a secularized messiah-like figure: as the film (before the third act) and comics point out, he embodies the characteristics of messiahs from Judaism and Christianity. The subjects from both religions are above moronic violence; they are enlightened, and can use their super powers for the good of humanity, not to continue the mindless violence that marks humanity.

Now, don't get me wrong: I realize that Batman is guilty of it. However, the films acknowledge that they are distancing themselves from the non-killing comic Batman: Burton was infatuated with the comics from the 1930's and Nolan admitted in numerous interviews that he refracted Batman through James Bond. Yes, I acknowledge that they deviate from the comics, but it is part of the filmmaker's acknowledged intentions. Man of Steel built up the summary of our aspirations angle through the trailers, and then turned an enlightened man into a Kryptonian Rorschach.

Make no mistake: I like Punisher and Rorschach; I don't them informing a character who is supposed to represent the best parts of mankind.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
If he did in the comics - and thankfully he has not in the ones I have read-then yes, I would feel betrayed. Superman is supposed to represent our highest aspirations, in terms of his super-powers, power, and embodiment of our best characteristics. He has no need to descend to the level of organisms inferior to him-such as murderering-when he has the powers of a god at his disposal. If a man can turn objects to ice with his breath or hell, even fly, then there is no need for him to murder, especially so savagely. There's a reason why Superman is a secularized messiah-like figure: as the film (before the third act) and comics point out, he embodies the characteristics of messiahs from Judaism and Christianity. The subjects from both religions are above moronic violence; they are enlightened, and can use their super powers for the good of humanity, not to continue the mindless violence that marks humanity.

Now, don't get me wrong: I realize that Batman is guilty of it. However, the films acknowledge that they are distancing themselves from the non-killing comic Batman: Burton was infatuated with the comics from the 1930's and Nolan admitted in numerous interviews that he refracted Batman through James Bond. Yes, I acknowledge that they deviate from the comics, but it is part of the filmmaker's acknowledged intentions. Man of Steel built up the summary of our aspirations angle through the trailers, and then turned an enlightened man into a Kryptonian Rorschach.

Make no mistake: I like Punisher and Rorschach; I don't them informing a character who is supposed to represent the best parts of mankind.
"then turned an enlightened man into a Kryptonian Rorschach."
What??? Look, I understand the general issue with Superman killing, but that's an insane comparison.

Superman took out Zod because it was the ONLY option in that situation. It had nothing to do with vengeance, or punishment, ala Rorschach.

Again, it was Zod, another Kryptonian, not just a human, or any other threat he could stop with his superior abilities. The entire point of the scene was made painfully clear; Zod was an unstoppable force, and he was a direct threat to a terrified family, and there was no other way for Superman to save them in that moment.

Now, one can certainly argue that Superman would have never let such a situation occur in the first place, but this was, literally, his first battle ever. He threw his first punch that same day. This was clearly meant to be an imperfect, inexperienced Superman. That was the point.

I'm surprised with your characterization of the Nolan Batman films, as his weak as spit commitment to "no killing" was a joke in those films.

As for the comics, the situation in which Superman kills Zod, and his two companion Kryptonians, was actually far more reprehensible. It also was no where near as far back as when Batman was permanently disposing of villains, this was back in 1988.
Zod and his ilk were actually already depowered by gold kryptonite, and imprisoned. They had killed the entire population of their pocket universe's Earth, and this was their sentence.

It was not until the powerless, and locked up, Zod threatened to find a way to get out and then kill Superman that Superman decided to kill them.

Not that it justifies what happened in the movie, but it's relevant.

One thing I have yet to hear from those complaining about what Superman did in MOS is an alternative. How was he supposed to have handled that?
If there was no other real option for him in that moment, then it's just complaining that they wrote him into that situation, rather than it actually being a betrayal of his character.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
Tra-El
Side-Kick

This is the price you pay with these types of communities that has spoilers galore. I did good for the most part. I watched the teaser trailers, read descriptions of the trailer 2 & 3 but did a mighty job with staying away from anything other than that (every single T.V spot including the Soldier of Steel feature, which was tough to stay away givin' my obsessive excitement for this film.)

Closer towards release date, I would sneek a quick peek in the spoilers sections, scrolling REALLY FAST and realized how dumb and stupid that was when I accidentally stumbled across the neck-snap, which wasn't in spoiler tags. I avoided the rest of the movie, but I, too, would of liked to see how I reacted not knowing that but such is the consequence you risk taking.

Like many others, I'll follow this movie hard, but will try to avoid the spoiler section this time and enter the movie theater with an open mind.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #21
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I limited myself to 3 trailers and I 5 spots but I think the negative reviews took me down a notch....also I managed to stay spoiler free but many of the posters here are so damn smart that they pieced the movie together for me lol, so every scene played out how I thought it was going to be and I found myself saying oh yea this must be the part.....I thjnk ill do a better job of shutting my mind and staying away lol, but it's so damn hard....

Old 11-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:

I read only half of these nonesence(sorry pal, no offence). Nikos Kazantzakis and Martin Scorsese have your answer
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Some of them fell into Hell

Last edited by NosfeRomas; 11-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.
NosfeRomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Well; trailer 3 told me Man of Steel was gonna be something amazing. While it was far from amazing in the end – I don't regret seeing a trailer that gave me everything from goosebumps to trembles.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
Adamantium
Your King

I didn't know about it as fact but as speculation.

BTW...MARVEL would've had the scene in the trailer or even better yet, a TV spot. Probably...

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
"then turned an enlightened man into a Kryptonian Rorschach."
What??? Look, I understand the general issue with Superman killing, but that's an insane comparison.

Superman took out Zod because it was the ONLY option in that situation. It had nothing to do with vengeance, or punishment, ala Rorschach.

Again, it was Zod, another Kryptonian, not just a human, or any other threat he could stop with his superior abilities. The entire point of the scene was made painfully clear; Zod was an unstoppable force, and he was a direct threat to a terrified family, and there was no other way for Superman to save them in that moment.

Now, one can certainly argue that Superman would have never let such a situation occur in the first place, but this was, literally, his first battle ever. He threw his first punch that same day. This was clearly meant to be an imperfect, inexperienced Superman. That was the point.

I'm surprised with your characterization of the Nolan Batman films, as his weak as spit commitment to "no killing" was a joke in those films.

As for the comics, the situation in which Superman kills Zod, and his two companion Kryptonians, was actually far more reprehensible. It also was no where near as far back as when Batman was permanently disposing of villains, this was back in 1988.
Zod and his ilk were actually already depowered by gold kryptonite, and imprisoned. They had killed the entire population of their pocket universe's Earth, and this was their sentence.

It was not until the powerless, and locked up, Zod threatened to find a way to get out and then kill Superman that Superman decided to kill them.

Not that it justifies what happened in the movie, but it's relevant.

One thing I have yet to hear from those complaining about what Superman did in MOS is an alternative. How was he supposed to have handled that?
If there was no other real option for him in that moment, then it's just complaining that they wrote him into that situation, rather than it actually being a betrayal of his character.
1. Nolan Connection. Batman in the films honored his policy once: with the Joker. The rest he caused circumstances that created their deaths, which is an entirely different ballpark, in terms of the degrees of intention and knowledge.

2. I read a blog on iO9 that made a good point about the killing of Zod:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I have two problems with letting Superman kill anybody, whether Zod in Man of Steel, Zod of Superman II, or any of those other deaths you’ve mentioned (and admittedly there have been a few). The first problem is that it breaks the character. In Man of Steel, Superman has to kill Zod to keep him from murdering a family, right? Well, other villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Metallo and the rest also kill innocent people — why doesn’t Superman kill them during their evil plots? And then, since we all know Lex Luthor and all of Superman’s other bad guys are going to kill innocent people the next time they show up, shouldn’t Superman simply hunt them down and kill them now for that same “greater good”? Aren’t they always going to kill innocent people? If he’s killing Zod to save that one family, why doesn’t he kill all his other villains to prevent all those other future innocent people from dying?

SRC: http://io9.com/why-letting-superman-...man-1440140313

3. The author reaffirms the point I made:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Superman is especially the character that is supposed to inspire us to aspire to something greater. That’s his whole damn point. He is supposed to represent humanity at its best. He’s supposed make the right decision even when they doesn’t seem to be one. When faced with two impossible choices — like, say, killing Zod or letting an innocent family die — he’s supposed to somehow figure out a third option, so he wins without compromising his principles. That’s his greatest superpower — to always do the right thing.

4. While I do not care for the execution and the stupid, stupid joke ("he's hot") I've let go a lot of the harsher criticisms I tendered. Excluding the endgame of the film, the only complaint I have is with the overabundance of greys, with the color correction. Still, the film has some moments of beauty and poetry, and it's well acted and written (I loved the DBZ influence.) Excluding those final sequences, I'd rate the film a 4.5/5 easily.

Easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I read only half of these nonesence(sorry pal, no offence). Nikos Kazantzakis and Martin Scorsese have your answer
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Before you declare someone's post nonsense, you might want to proofread your own posts. Just sayin'. Oh, and your video link isn't working either.

Quote: