The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: the worst part of Spider-Man 3?
Sandman being Ben's killer 8 33.33%
the dancing scene 8 33.33%
Venom 2 8.33%
Gwen being pointless 2 8.33%
Sandman being the only villain who lives 0 0%
emo Peter 4 16.67%
Mary Jane singing 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Default Re: The worst part of Spider-Man 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
But don't you understand?You're not supposed to be thinking about the deep subtexts and underlying themes!

Peter dances!MJ and Harry dances! Peter dances again!That's all the movie was about and should be remembered for!
The street strut is my favourite scene in the film. Pure Raimi absurdity.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Harry had no choice but to forgive Peter because he'd be an idiot otherwise to still blame him after learning for sure that Norman killed himself.
On the other hand, Peter might forgive Marko, but he'd be an idiot if he'd let him go after killing and stealing.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #28
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
The street strut is my favourite scene in the film. Pure Raimi absurdity.
As much as people love to deny it, his character grew and matured over the course of the movies. I love the struting/dancing because it's how Peter Parker should act when giving in to his, I don't, baser instincts. He gets dark in the appropriate instances; fighting Sandman confronting Harry. But deep down inside he's still that shy nerd from Queens. For him to turn into this sexually threatening bad boy, or whatever fanboys wanted (I remember some idiots a while back mentioning he should have attempted to rape Gwen).

I also love it because it is Raimi straight up egging on the fanboys who want everything grim n' gritty and serious all the time.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Cs Funny Re: The worst part of Spider-Man 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
On the other hand, Peter might forgive Marko, but he'd be an idiot if he'd let him go after killing and stealing.
ZING

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
As much as people love to deny it, his character grew and matured over the course of the movies. I love the struting/dancing because it's how Peter Parker should act when giving in to his, I don't, baser instincts. He gets dark in the appropriate instances; fighting Sandman confronting Harry. But deep down inside he's still that shy nerd from Queens. For him to turn into this sexually threatening bad boy, or whatever fanboys wanted (I remember some idiots a while back mentioning he should have attempted to rape Gwen).

I also love it because it is Raimi straight up egging on the fanboys who want everything grim n' gritty and serious all the time.
I disagree, other than learning a little about responsibility he is pretty much the exact same character he was before he was bitten. I also disagree with you on the dancing, Rami made the mistake of playing it for laughs. The dancing took away from whatever was remotely scary about emo Peter Parker.

Spider-Man 3 should have been the darkest movie in the trilogy but what we got was the most cringe worthy, over the top silly and overall plain stupid.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #31
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

I'd say he grew up and had a better sense of who he was, and how to balance his life. He then has the pride/downward spiral/redemption arc, which further allows the character to grow.

That he was really unlucky in Spider-Man 2, doesn't mean he didn't grow.

And I don't think Peter was meant to be scary, Peter Parker can never really be scary or Evil. It's not in his DNA.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #32
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I disagree, other than learning a little about responsibility he is pretty much the exact same character he was before he was bitten. I also disagree with you on the dancing, Rami made the mistake of playing it for laughs. The dancing took away from whatever was remotely scary about emo Peter Parker.

Spider-Man 3 should have been the darkest movie in the trilogy but what we got was the most cringe worthy, over the top silly and overall plain stupid.
Um...what?

In a nutshell:

In SM1, Peter learned that with great power, must come great responsibility. He changed and grew, through the event in the film, into a responsible young man who finally understood that he must put his own selfish desires aside to really live that message.

In SM2 Peter struggles with the responsibilities and sacrifices that have become an overwhelming burden to his life. Throughout the course of the film, he learns how to strike a balance between his two lives, and that he wasn't correct in pushing Mary Jane out of his life without giving her any say in the matter.

In SM3, the movie ends with Peter having learned how to truly forgive, having let go of the addictive poison of revenge (symbolized by the black suit) and how to put aside his own ego in his relationship with Mary Jane (how to put her before himself).

Just because his outward personality remains consistent does not mean he hasn't changed or learned or grown throughout the course of the series. Sometimes I wonder if people are even paying attention to anything other than superficial details like webshooters and wisecracks...

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #33
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Um...what?

In a nutshell:

In SM1, Peter learned that with great power, must come great responsibility. He changed and grew, through the event in the film, into a responsible young man who finally understood that he must put his own selfish desires aside to really live that message.

In SM2 Peter struggles with the responsibilities and sacrifices that have become an overwhelming burden to his life. Throughout the course of the film, he learns how to strike a balance between his two lives, and that he wasn't correct in pushing Mary Jane out of his life without giving her any say in the matter.

In SM3, the movie ends with Peter having learned how to truly forgive, having let go of the addictive poison of revenge (symbolized by the black suit) and how to put aside his own ego in his relationship with Mary Jane (how to put her before himself).

Just because his outward personality remains consistent does not mean he hasn't changed or learned or grown throughout the course of the series. Sometimes I wonder if people are even paying attention to anything other than superficial details like webshooters and wisecracks...
For sure he learnt to forgive but really other than that he was already developed in the sense of responsibility.

What I'm getting at more is you know.. his characteristics.
In The Amazing Fantasy #15 we get this shy, awkward looking guy. By college he has changed and while is still a little awkward he grew in confidence, witt and charm. By Spider-Man 3 he was still getting bullied like how it was in high school...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #34
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
For sure he learnt to forgive but really other than that he was already developed in the sense of responsibility.

What I'm getting at more is you know.. his characteristics.
In The Amazing Fantasy #15 we get this shy, awkward looking guy. By college he has changed and while is still a little awkward he grew in confidence, witt and charm. By Spider-Man 3 he was still getting bullied like how it was in high school...
I don't know, Peter's outward personality didn't change much in the comics from high school to college and beyond. Sure, he looked like more of a hollywood hunk when Romita started drawing him, but that's about it.

But yes, Peter being picked on in SM3 was ridiculous and completely dumb. There was nothing like that in SM2 at all, which makes it all the more strange.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #35
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
I don't know, Peter's outward personality didn't change much in the comics from high school to college and beyond. Sure, he looked like more of a hollywood hunk when Romita started drawing him, but that's about it.

But yes, Peter being picked on in SM3 was ridiculous and completely dumb. There was nothing like that in SM2 at all, which makes it all the more strange.
People just pushing through him as he picks up his books...

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
People just pushing through him as he picks up his books...
Peter was exhausted and worn out, and therefore clumsy- bumping into people and dropping his books. Let's be real. Anyone bent over in a high traffic walkway is going to get pushed around and stepped on. He wasn't being "picked on" by anyone. It was more of an "adding insult to injury" moment.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #37
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Peter was exhausted and worn out, and therefore clumsy- bumping into people and dropping his books. Let's be real. Anyone bent over in a high traffic walkway is going to get pushed around and stepped on. He wasn't being "picked on" by anyone. It was more of an "adding insult to injury" moment.
I wouldn't call it bullying but I did find that it suggested that he was unpopular.

IRL I usually see people walk around them

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #38
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wouldn't call it bullying but I did find that it suggested that he was unpopular.

IRL I usually see people walk around them
At a large University like Columbia in NYC, one of the busiest cities in the world? Like I said, anyone in Peter's position would have gotten stepped all over and pushed around.

The point is, by the 2nd half of SM1 and then SM2, while his luck may have been rotten, Peter was no longer actively, consciously being picked on or bullied by anyone.

Last edited by Vid Electricz; 10-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #39
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

edit

Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh, one scene with a guy being an ******* (shooting a spit ball) doesn't revert any growth the character went through.

Quote:
At a large University like Columbia in NYC, one of the busiest cities in the world? Like I said, anyone in Peter's position would have gotten stepped all over and pushed around.

The point is, by the 2nd half of SM1 and then SM2, while his luck may have been rotten, Peter was no longer actively, consciously being picked on or bullied by anyone.
And that struggle is a fairly realistic thing to happen to him; juggling being Spider-Man, school, having a steady job, paying rent for his crappy apartment. Except for the superheroics, that's a typical New York experience for anybody without money.

Last edited by S. Grundy; 10-16-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #41
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Eh, one seen with a guy being an ******* (shooting a spit ball) doesn't revert any growth the character went through.
I think it does. From the moment Peter beat up Flash in SM-1 he stopped being a doormat for a-holes like that. There was none of that in SM-2.

- The Joker
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #42
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

There should be a "Spider-Man 3" option in the poll.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #43
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Again,as I've pointed out many times,Marko killed no one apart from "accidentily" killing Ben.There's absolutely no evidence to the contrary.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #44
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Again,as I've pointed out many times,Marko killed no one apart from "accidentily" killing Ben.There's absolutely no evidence to the contrary.
Just maimed, destroyed public property, stole and endangered people? Ah, it's okay then. Fly, Marko, fly away.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #45
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh, one scene with a guy being an ******* (shooting a spit ball) doesn't revert any growth the character went through.
Absolutely. A couple of ****s in class doesn't take away from how Peter is in the film. He was insecure in the first, struggling with every aspect of his life in the second, and when the third opens he's happy, confident and managing pretty much everything well. He's even tutoring.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #46
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Just maimed, destroyed public property, stole and endangered people? Ah, it's okay then. Fly, Marko, fly away.
Not to mention that he makes no hints that he intends to stop doing what he's doing to help his daughter.

- The Joker
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Not to mention that he makes no hints that he intends to stop doing what he's doing to help his daughter.
I heard there was an alternate ending where there is some dialogue:
*Peter reaches out his hand to dance with MJ*
"Wait... Awww s*** he's still going to try and steal money! Why did I let him go!?"

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Clearly the implication that Marko had reformed was lost on some of you.

But again,it all comes back to the deleted subplot about Marko's daughter being terminally ill,and nothing he could do would change that.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #49
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Clearly the implication that Marko had reformed was lost on some of you.

But again,it all comes back to the deleted subplot about Marko's daughter being terminally ill,and nothing he could do would change that.
I have no problem with Peter letting Sandman go. Just trying to make light of another SM3 bashing thread. It's the very definition of flogging a dead horse.

Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #50
Morbius
Living Vampire

It's something I associate with lack of news / not much to talk about, concerning TASM2

Morbius is offline   Reply With Quote