The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
TMC1982
Side-Kick

Default Is Kevin Feige the New Tom Rothman?

In a nutshell:
*Not paying Terrence Howard to come back as Jim Rhodes/War Machine in Iron Man 2

*Rushing Jon Favreau into making Iron Man 2 (thereby, complicating/compromising his artistic vision in the process) and then turning it into a semi-infomercial for The Avengers

*Not giving Jon Favreau a raise (considering that Iron Man broke the bank) in exchange for directing The Avengers. Not that Joss Whedon is a bad choice per se, it's just that he has an unproven track record regarding box office hits.

*Firing Edward Norton from The Avengers for not being enough of a "team player".

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
jacobed
Banned User

Default Re: Is Kevin Feige the New Tom Rothman?

Wow really, the man that is making all of our dreams come true by actually staying true and not stepping down or away from the vision of having The Avengers on the big screen being compared to Rothman. Come on now, Howard didn't deserve the money he wanted for Iron Man 2. The problem with Iron Man 2 wasn't that it was rushed but that the script was terrible. I'm pretty sure Favs wasn't going to direct The Avengers anyways. As great and missed as Ed is, if someone is causing problems and their role isn't that huge anyways why not get rid of him.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
Silvermoth
Avenger

This is a truly silly thread.

Up to the Norton debacle Feige was treated as a hero for leading Marvel's independent films. Then Norton came and went and people honestly think he matches the evil of a man who has cruelly torn through franchises like tissue paper for more than a decade?

Please. I do not believe unproven "news" about Feige and he certainly has my support. I genuinely believe he has the characters in his best interest, anything less and we would be complaining that he has sold out.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Well he pissed me off at Comic-Con. A fan asked about Edward Norton, and just to get people to stop booing, he says "well the show's not over". And what do we get at the end? Ruffalo.

webhead731 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Project862006
Banned User

Norton
Howard
Rourke
Jackson
Favreau

have all had big problems with Marvel and Feige

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
jacobed
Banned User

And 3 of the 5 have resolved their problems, once again who cares about Howard he never deserved the money that he got or wanted. It's still a shame about Norton but what did Feige do he didn't go get some no name crappy actor. He went and got Ruffalo who is quite the fantastic actor.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
JP
To me

This thread is a fail.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Blackman
King Kong

I agree with JP

Last edited by Blackman; 08-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

I do not think any of the good Marvel movies we have been getting [from Iron Man forward] would have happened [or been as good] with out Kevin, so I would cut him some slack.

At least Avi is out of the picture, although he was spotted at Sony with the Spidey reboot, so that does not bode well...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
VenomVsSpidey
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC1982 View Post
In a nutshell:
*Not paying Terrence Howard to come back as Jim Rhodes/War Machine in Iron Man 2

*Rushing Jon Favreau into making Iron Man 2 (thereby, complicating/compromising his artistic vision in the process) and then turning it into a semi-infomercial for The Avengers

*Not giving Jon Favreau a raise (considering that Iron Man broke the bank) in exchange for directing The Avengers. Not that Joss Whedon is a bad choice per se, it's just that he has an unproven track record regarding box office hits.

*Firing Edward Norton from The Avengers for not being enough of a "team player".

Much like your posting on IMDB, you prove to be an idiot here also.

A) Money was why terrence did not come back for IM2, Not feige.
B) IM2 wasn't rushed, it had a bleh script. but still solid
C) I don't get this, IM2 was no infomercial for Avengers, not at all. It was mentioned like, what...10 minutes altogether?
D) For all we know, norton wasn't. He has a history of doing that, you know. As bummed as I am about him not coming back, they hired an also awesome actor for banner.

Last edited by VenomVsSpidey; 08-08-2010 at 03:16 PM.
VenomVsSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
The problem with Iron Man 2 wasn't that it was rushed but that the script was terrible. I'm pretty sure Favs wasn't going to direct The Avengers anyways.
Well, can't that mean that the script was rushed too? Scripts go through many drafts, and ideas can be rejected because there is just not enough time in the schedule to accomodate the sets being built etc. With a 2yr time frame your ambition has to be scaled down.
I have always thought it was a very questionable act not to give JF 3 yrs to do IM2, it was a creative compromise due to the shared universe concept.
They did not want IM2, Cap and Thor out in the same year, but what they could have done was give one a Christmas release that year. edit: or at the very least give IM2 a Christams release this year so he had another 6months.
No matter how you look at it, it was a creative compromise that affected the movie's quality. We might have got an IM2 that was good all the way through as the first 30/40mins of the movie.

I do not think the people in control as as bad as Rothman, but I do not think this thread is a 'fail'. Just because they are being true to the roots of the comics doe not mean there may be questionable commercial decisions made that affect the creative output, and these desicions should have a thread for discussion.

david icke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
This thread is a fail.
Cosigned.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
david icke
Banned User

I love how the people who are signing an invisible petition have absolutely no defence for the rushed schedule of IM2, whereas if it was Rothman who pulled the strings on that one they would be complaining by writing their names in fungus on a petiton made of s*** and posting it through his letter box.

edit: as for the other points raised....apparently TH was not that great on set and they really had to pull that performance out of him, so that was a creative desicion made by the director as well. Fair enough.

and they are a relatively small film studio, they have a policy of seeking out talent who are relatively inexpensive, so anyone who works for them knows this, and cannot expect a large paycheck in the way other studios would usually do, even if they deliver a hit like Faverau. I don't mind the fact they are trying to keep budgets for the sfx instead of paying large salaries, I don't know what the deals are, but maybe they should have given someone like JF a percentage of the profits on the 2nd movie, for all I know they did though. So, i am not that bothered by the decision not to amp up his paycheck, they get paid more than enough anyway. If you are really passionate about the project you would take the amount they are offering everybody else. It would be different if someone else was getting paid more for their work for their studio.

edit: but the way they handled the sererance with Norton was very unprofessional, citing the 'not a team player' stuff in the press release, that was basically revenge for him not doing promo work for TIH due to a falling out over the final cut, another commercial desicion that led to a creative compromise, that deserves to be discussed.

Last edited by david icke; 08-08-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Hey, so... I've got a nice big can of Calm the **** Down right here... would you like some?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
Blackman
King Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Hey, so... I've got a nice big can of Calm the **** Down right here... would you like some?
outstanding

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
BlackLantern
Banned User

Terrance Howard wanted RDJ money for Iron Man 2, and that wasn't going to happen...as for Norton, one of his processes for working on a film is that he likes to have script input and an ability to rewrite his characters and Marvel wasn't having that....and that is Marvels prerogative

so this is another case of fanboy whining against the big evil corporate machine

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
You should write that one down on a gent's toliet stall for posterier posterity.
I am glad you invisible petiton guys have so much to say on this matter, I mean, it would be a little out of order to come into a thread and contribute nothing more than, 'your thread is a fail' right? You're fair game for being the butt of a joke if you're doing nothing but coming in and dissing the person's thread.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
BlackLantern
Banned User

normally TMC (the thread starter) has some pretty insightful threads on the actual business side of tv and movies....so this is a rarity for him to start a thread that incites lots of whining

Old 08-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
Terrance Howard wanted RDJ money for Iron Man 2, and that wasn't going to happen...as for Norton, one of his processes for working on a film is that he likes to have script input and an ability to rewrite his characters and Marvel wasn't having that....and that is Marvels prerogative

so this is another case of fanboy whining against the big evil corporate machine
No different than railing against Rothman's corporate machine, or any companies desicions that affect the quality of these movies we discuss on these boards. there's nothing wrong with people questioning these kind of desicions on teh boards, by your reasoning we should just stop posting on boards like this completely, as of course we are just fans railing against and praising the movies, with little to no effect.

and Marvel were real unprofessional in how they handled that press release with Norton.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
BlackLantern
Banned User

yes and no....they could have not made an announcement at all and just let everyone (trades, website) come to the conclusion on their own....but the press release, for all intents and purposes, could have been written a bit softer IMO

Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I dont see any invisible petition around here... all I saw was someone say this thread was a fail and agreed wholeheartedly. Comparing the man who is devoting his career to giving us these movies to the man that has ****ed over every movie that he can get his grubby little hands on just because of a few casting issues is foolish as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
david icke
Banned User

Quote:
I dont see any invisible petition around here...
Now, I liked this one.

Quote:
all I saw was someone say this thread was a fail and agreed wholeheartedly. Comparing the man who is devoting his career to giving us these movies to the man that has ****ed over every movie that he can get his grubby little hands on just because of a few casting issues is foolish as far as I'm concerned.
and if you had said that and contributed to the discussion, I would not have said jack to you. Now you have posted something that people can discuss and debate, instead of just coming in and saying the thread was a failure.
I agree that he is not as bad as Rothman, and maybe the thread should not have such a title, but a thread to discuss some of their questionable policies is a good idea I think.
Even someone who has 'dedicated their life' to the movies can make crap desicions that affect the movie's quality.
I mean, I am not happy with IM2 being rushed at all, and have been wondering about their policies in that regard, i think Faverau earned the right to have 3yrs development and filming time. He knew what he needed to make a worthy follow up, and now we see the results, it could have been a lot better. the first 30/40mins are superb, but the rest is ok-good.

If we are going to discuss and debate this kind of thing on these boards , there can be no holy cows who cannot be critisiced, for all we know he will make further desicions that will affect their movies quality, and things like IM2 being rushed, the Hulk movie being shortened and Norton being lambasted in a press release for being against that desicion are just the beginning.
I think they are probably exceptions, but they have to be questioned, or else they may feel a little untouchable, and then abuse their power.
It's worth discussing.

Last edited by david icke; 08-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #23
Anubis
Sup?

.....Who the hell is Tom Rothman?

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #24
BlackLantern
Banned User

head of 20th Century Fox....infamous for meddling in the X-men films franchise

Old 08-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #25
Anubis
Sup?

Ohhhhh.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote