The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default James Gunn wants to make "Thunderbolts"

Quote:
“Thunderbolts? I will tell you, one time I was saying to Kevin [Feige], we are sitting on set together on one of the days he visited and I said, ‘ You know, I really want to make Thunderbolts,’ and he said, ‘James, if Guardians does well you’ll be able to do whatever you want so we’ll see what happens.”
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/0...lm-marvel.html

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Re: James Gunn wants to make "Thunderbolts"

We'll, that's even more if a reason for Captain America 3 to feature Zemo, Somgbird and Taskmaster. Pair them with Loki, Abomination, Bullseye, Leader and Blizzard. Moonstone would join after Captain Marvel 2. And I'm aware that Loki and Abomination were never members but Sony owns Mach and Shocker while Fox owns Juggernaut so some members will need to be different.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I have been hoping GOTG would be a smash hit, since it looks like a terrific film. However, this is another reason why also want to succeed.

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I sure hope this happens.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Jasyn
Agent of F.U.B.A.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
We'll, that's even more if a reason for Captain America 3 to feature Zemo, Somgbird and Taskmaster. Pair them with Loki, Abomination, Bullseye, Leader and Blizzard. Moonstone would join after Captain Marvel 2. And I'm aware that Loki and Abomination were never members but Sony owns Mach and Shocker while Fox owns Juggernaut so some members will need to be different.

This would be a great movie property.

Dasher, I'm 99.5% on your side, you only lost me at Loki's involvement. Depends on whether Gunn would want to do a Villains Masquerading as Heroes (MASTERS of EVIL) version of the Thunderbolts or a Convicted Criminals working for the Govt version. I can't think of a scenario for the latter or find a comics story online where Loki would submit himself under a human government's control.

But hey, I'm open to being educated by anyone on the matter. I already have the Classic Thunderbolts TPB's at home, just haven't read them yet.

"...if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way." - Homer J. Simpson

Jasyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
The.Brotherhood
Side-Kick

The THUNDERBOLTS I wanna see:

The.Brotherhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Deadpool is owned by FOX

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Roadkill
Not a Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post

Alas, Deadpool's rights are at Fox and Venom's rights are at Sony so not looking too good for this version.

Roadkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I say give James Gunn what he wants

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

If they're doing something with Zemo, I think having Zemo first appear in a Thunderbolts film would be the best, and do the whole masquerading as heroes thing, and then be the villains for the following Avengers movie. It'd be ideal for Phase 4, imho.

I think it'd be interesting to have them take on less throw-away superhero roles, especially if they were attached to franchises we already care about. Like... what if they purported to be, functionally if not in name, the West Coast Avengers with Zemo pretending to be US Agent, Techno pretending to be Iron Man (or at least War Machine, maybe Iron Patriot), Atlas calling himself Giant Man, Moonstone calling herself Ms. Marvel, throw in Hawkeye infiltrating them and you've got room for some pretty sweet team dynamics and a pretty cool team on its own. Depending on how they want to run things, adding in Elektra and Punisher from Netflix or Red Hulk could only make things more interesting. Or you could save them for the sequel. I'd also consider adding a new hero, say Mockingbird or Tigra in the Jolt kind of role. Or, y'know, just have Jolt.

I'd love to see them deal with having to reconcile with being heroes and how that affects different members. It'd be interesting to have them deal with Graviton, since he has already been cast and given an origin in Agents of SHIELD. And if you have them come out as villains in the end, are they dealing with any good guys? Even just the CIA or whatever?

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I actually could see Loki leading a Thunderbolts team, if his own arc eventually lead to him seeking redemption. The important thing is that, nobody would necessarily *know* its Loki. Its just some guy ( Crimson Cowl? ) gathering up a team of villains to do something villainous. . . only it turns out to be not as villainous as it seemed. Qeue misadventures.

Loki: Even redeemed, still an *******.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

That could be a lot of fun/make a lot of sense, Loki as the 'Nick Fury' of the Thunderbolts.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
MMMMM...Pancakes
SHOCK The World

Thunderbolts would be a great addition to the MCU!

MMMMM...Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
MattXG
Side-Kick

How about:

Ant-Man
Ghost
Punisher
Songbird
Moonstone
Taskmaster
Rulk

That would be incredible.

Last edited by MattXG; 07-29-2014 at 07:15 PM.
MattXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Interesting. Well, Guardians 2 is confirmed, so it's what, at least 4 years away if not more? LOL.

I guess the original premise is out, since, there's no Onslaught and mass-disappearance of various key heroes, with these "new guys" (secretly veteran villains) stepping up. There's just too much backstory for that to work properly.

They'll have to settle for the "Suicide Squad" setup. Even then, heck-- it's not as if there have been a bunch of individual super-villains in the MCU who haven't been killed, vaporized, etc. by the climax.

Plus-- If this is set up as a PG-13 film, they're going to have to tone down the violence. This can't be the straight up crew of maniacs. If this is Marvel's "Dirty Dozen", they have to be at least somewhat redeemable.

I guess Bucky as the Winter Soldier might work, depending on how Cap 3 ends.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #16
The Hatchling
Side-Kick

I would think that Hit Monkey would be after GotG (If it does well) but this is even better.

The Hatchling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Interesting. Well, Guardians 2 is confirmed, so it's what, at least 4 years away if not more? LOL.

I guess the original premise is out, since, there's no Onslaught and mass-disappearance of various key heroes, with these "new guys" (secretly veteran villains) stepping up. There's just too much backstory for that to work properly.

They'll have to settle for the "Suicide Squad" setup. Even then, heck-- it's not as if there have been a bunch of individual super-villains in the MCU who haven't been killed, vaporized, etc. by the climax.

Plus-- If this is set up as a PG-13 film, they're going to have to tone down the violence. This can't be the straight up crew of maniacs. If this is Marvel's "Dirty Dozen", they have to be at least somewhat redeemable.

I guess Bucky as the Winter Soldier might work, depending on how Cap 3 ends.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has established that there are supervillains out there that haven't been seen in the films. An entire prison full of individuals S.H.I.E.L.D. deemed as threats are on the loose. This includes, but is not limited to, the Griffin and Man-Thing. The latter, interestingly, has been involved with the Thunderbolts.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #18
Dr. Evil
Gamora

In order for General Ross to become Red Hulk, there would have to be a Hulk sequel, and there's no guarantee of that happening.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
The Endless
Side-Kick

The Baron Zemo team would be awesome. As would the Osborn led team written by Warren Ellis. Alas that won't happen because of rights issues.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

LOL-- the Griffin is "out there"? Man-Thing, too? I figured they'd totally leave him/it alone.. and I'm disappointed that it has been classified as a villain. Oh well.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
LOL-- the Griffin is "out there"? Man-Thing, too? I figured they'd totally leave him/it alone.. and I'm disappointed that it has been classified as a villain. Oh well.
As of now, Man-Thing hasn't necessarily been classified as a villain. S.H.I.E.L.D. may have just viewed him as a danger. They were locking weapons and Gravitonium up in the same facility.

Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
That is almost necessary anyways because they need time to build up some of the villains. I don't think they need to introduce all of the villains into the MCU before Thunderbolts, but the main ones like Zemo and Moonstone are pretty much a must. I can't see Thunderbolts before Phase 4 at the absolute earliest.

As for the story, I much prefer the villains pretending to be heroes only to eventually seek redemption as opposed to the government agents version.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 07-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM   #23
ObakeTora
Me llamo Tigre Fantasma!

Wall Re: James Gunn wants to make "Thunderbolts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
Alas, Deadpool's rights are at Fox and Venom's rights are at Sony so not looking too good for this version.

Certainly they can work something out. We are getting Quicksilver in both Xmen and A2.

ObakeTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM   #24
eon001
Side-Kick

Thunderbolts could make another great addition the the Netflix roster. A villain from each Marvel movie. Strucker/Zemo, Abomination, Lorelei/Loki, Justin Hammer etc. Season one will focus on there attempts to be superheroes. Season 2, they get rumbled and become semi reformed villains led by Luke Cage. If the stars align correctly they could become some kind of heroes for hire in tandem with the Defenders. As the show progress's it could evolve into the current team led by Red Hulk.

Last edited by eon001; Yesterday at 05:29 AM.
eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #25
CaptainWagner
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Brotherhood View Post

That's the version I'd want to see, too. But with all the rights issues, O'd be fine with a villains-as-heroes or villains-for-government film.

CaptainWagner is offline   Reply With Quote