Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 6

I agree with you there too.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #427
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
I never really liked Mara Jade lol, so i wasnt much of a fan of what they wrote for Luke post-ROTJ. He just, to me, seemed more committed to the jedi than having a family, not that one should be exclusive of the other. Balance is something that's needed, and they could focus on Leia balancing family and developing some of her Force abilities while keeping up with her politics (let's face it, woman multitask better than men generally ). But for Luke i always thought him not having kids would be more interesting.

I was always on the fence about that, but my friend and I talked about it a great deal and actually I could see him easily having kids. The problem was pre-PT it actually was quite common for people to believe that Luke could have kids, and be fine with it. Back then we assumed all Jedi could have kids, it never said anything against that in the OT. So it was just assumed. But then post-PT they kinda made the Jedi these "sexless monks" more so then just the "noble warrior" that we originally imagined. Not saying that was a bad thing.

But going off of what the PT showed, is that the way of the old Jedi Order did not work. It failed them. And Luke even proved that attachment/love etc is not a "bad thing" that leads to the Dark side all the time. He defied Yoda, and sacrificed everything because he loved his friends. And in the end it turned out okay for him (in the sense that he did not become a Sith).

If the rumors are true (which I do trust those over at TFN and some of their tidbits) that Ardnt's script focused on the Han Solo as the main of the big 3, and his children rather than Luke as the mentor and possibly his children (which is what they say JJ turned it to Luke being more of the mentor) then I'm in complete favor of that. Luke should be the mentor. And emotionally I will agree the best way for the torch to be passed (and this is what my friend told me that changed my view on it) is like it was done in mythology, from father to child. Not "uncle to niece/nephew".

Hard to say. But I think Luke being a father is not a bad thing by any way. And it could be very interesting. As for Leia, she could have become a Jedi but she was more of a politician, and could be afraid that her being Vader's daughter could turn to the dark side as well. That and I don't want the huge problem of the PT, where every single character is a Jedi almost. We need a little variety.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #428
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Regarding Luke as a mentor type character in the ST, do you guys think that instead of becoming similar to Obi-Wan, he'll be this trilogy's Yoda? So another "wise old Jedi" character (which Gene Hackman was rumoured to be being looked at for) would feature in Episode VII, with Luke being the greatest of all Jedi and a mysterious hermit. Although I wouldn't wait until the second episode to introduce him like with Yoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
As for Leia, she could have become a Jedi but she was more of a politician, and could be afraid that her being Vader's daughter could turn to the dark side as well. That and I don't want the huge problem of the PT, where every single character is a Jedi almost. We need a little variety.
Agreed; I think Leia will be the leader/Chancellor of the Republic in the ST rather than a Jedi.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #429
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Has anyone seen this?

http://io9.com/original-star-wars-ga...-se-1453466539

5-.-2-.-14

Old 10-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #430
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I was always on the fence about that, but my friend and I talked about it a great deal and actually I could see him easily having kids. The problem was pre-PT it actually was quite common for people to believe that Luke could have kids, and be fine with it. Back then we assumed all Jedi could have kids, it never said anything against that in the OT. So it was just assumed. But then post-PT they kinda made the Jedi these "sexless monks" more so then just the "noble warrior" that we originally imagined. Not saying that was a bad thing.

But going off of what the PT showed, is that the way of the old Jedi Order did not work. It failed them. And Luke even proved that attachment/love etc is not a "bad thing" that leads to the Dark side all the time. He defied Yoda, and sacrificed everything because he loved his friends. And in the end it turned out okay for him (in the sense that he did not become a Sith).

If the rumors are true (which I do trust those over at TFN and some of their tidbits) that Ardnt's script focused on the Han Solo as the main of the big 3, and his children rather than Luke as the mentor and possibly his children (which is what they say JJ turned it to Luke being more of the mentor) then I'm in complete favor of that. Luke should be the mentor. And emotionally I will agree the best way for the torch to be passed (and this is what my friend told me that changed my view on it) is like it was done in mythology, from father to child. Not "uncle to niece/nephew".

Hard to say. But I think Luke being a father is not a bad thing by any way. And it could be very interesting. As for Leia, she could have become a Jedi but she was more of a politician, and could be afraid that her being Vader's daughter could turn to the dark side as well. That and I don't want the huge problem of the PT, where every single character is a Jedi almost. We need a little variety.
Like i said, i dont think him having a family is a bad thing, but for me personally, since i didnt like what they did with him post ROTJ in that sense, i would hope they take a different approach, if they give him a family (mainly no Mara Jade plz. Go ahead and make him a widow or something like that lol). I just wouldnt want to see Luke changing diapers and running after kids when he can be doing other stuff . I'm all for him as the Obi-Wan/Yoda of the new movies.

I dunno, maybe i'm just nasty minded, but i never really saw the jedi as celibate and sexless. I think they had their little adventures

I'm all for Leia more involved with the Force though. We've seen her in politics already, and it would be refreshing to see her more as a jedi than a politician in this next phase. In fact i think most would be expecting her to be in politics. This would be a nice way to shake things up a bit. She's the daughter of Anakin, and her potential is extraordinary. Why should it only be Luke who carries on the jedi mantle in the Skywalker family?

The big question is where will we find the jedi as a whole in the upcoming episodes though: As outcasts? Or will they be welcomed? That will determine big time where we'll see Leia and Luke imo. And i'm leaning more towards kinda hidden for some reason, dont ask me why lol. I could see them having Luke fade into somewhere people dont know where he is, and we'll see him for the first time in episode VII, due to something happening and he's forced out of wherever he is (hey, maybe even Dagobah, who knows). But what do i know, i'm just speculating here

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #431
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Like i said, i dont think him having a family is a bad thing, but for me personally, since i didnt like what they did with him post ROTJ in that sense, i would hope they take a different approach, if they give him a family (mainly no Mara Jade plz. Go ahead and make him a widow or something like that lol). I just wouldnt want to see Luke changing diapers and running after kids when he can be doing other stuff . I'm all for him as the Obi-Wan/Yoda of the new movies.

I dunno, maybe i'm just nasty minded, but i never really saw the jedi as celibate and sexless. I think they had their little adventures

I'm all for Leia more involved with the Force though. We've seen her in politics already, and it would be refreshing to see her more as a jedi than a politician in this next phase. In fact i think most would be expecting her to be in politics. This would be a nice way to shake things up a bit. She's the daughter of Anakin, and her potential is extraordinary. Why should it only be Luke who carries on the jedi mantle in the Skywalker family?

The big question is where will we find the jedi as a whole in the upcoming episodes though: As outcasts? Or will they be welcomed? That will determine big time where we'll see Leia and Luke imo. And i'm leaning more towards kinda hidden for some reason, dont ask me why lol. I could see them having Luke fade into somewhere people dont know where he is, and we'll see him for the first time in episode VII, due to something happening and he's forced out of wherever he is (hey, maybe even Dagobah, who knows). But what do i know, i'm just speculating here
I agree with most of what you've said. The only thing I would be...not completely against but not completely for is Leia being a Jedi. Or a full fledged one. Like I said I want some variety, and not just over half the characters being lightsaber wielding Jedi. I think she can help the Galaxy in other ways, more in the vein of her mother. Remember Padme flows through her too, and I think there is other strengths out there that she has.

I doubt we will see Luke changing diapers lol. His (the Force tells me this strongly...that I think Luke will only have one child) child will be of late teen/20's. And it will be about discovery and passing down of the torch.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #432
Bim
Side-Kick

I dont think we'll see many jedi, at least in episode 7. But of course that's just a feeling i have, i could be totally wrong

I also think it's possible that (was it Moretz or who that said that when they went in they had to pretend to hold a lightsaber for the first time? i forget...) if that particular young woman was the offspring of Luke or even Leia + Han, wouldnt they know what a lightsaber looks like and be more familiar with it? I just dont see Luke hiding his away. Of course i could be reading too much into that or seeing it wrongly, but who knows. We just know so little all we can do is speculate our geeky butts off

BTW: do you guys think we'll see a lot of C3PO and R2, or will they start phasing them out?

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #433
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

Ksenia Solo's Lost Girl coworker made a Star Wars jedi joke that she retweeted:

Quote:
Jedi @kseniasolo post #lostgirl #mcmexpo pic.twitter.com/coKFcru0nB
https://twitter.com/PaulRogerAmos/st...68589137260544

Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #434
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

Quote:
I dont think we'll see many jedi, at least in episode 7. But of course that's just a feeling i have, i could be totally wrong

I also think it's possible that (was it Moretz or who that said that when they went in they had to pretend to hold a lightsaber for the first time? i forget...) if that particular young woman was the offspring of Luke or even Leia + Han, wouldnt they know what a lightsaber looks like and be more familiar with it? I just dont see Luke hiding his away. Of course i could be reading too much into that or seeing it wrongly, but who knows. We just know so little all we can do is speculate our geeky butts off

BTW: do you guys think we'll see a lot of C3PO and R2, or will they start phasing them out?

It was Saoirse Ronan.

Quote:
ďBut nobody has a clue what itís about, and nobodyís read the script. So Iíve gone in and read for it, but I have to say, I think itís the only time Iíve ever thought, ĎYou know what? Even if I donít get it, I had so much fun auditioning, pretending to take out a lightsaber Ė out of a bag, kind of inspect it and not know what it is. That wasÖ that was great. A lightsaber! Star Wars!Ē
I think it's this part:

Quote:
[YOUNG WOMAN] Late teens. Physically fit, raw energy, independent and with a great sense of humor.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 10-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #435
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I have to admit I'm kinda rooting for Ksenia to get a role. Her attitude and vibe she gives off is awesome.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #436
sueb1863
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd say they'll almost certainly be there.

Way, way back in the late 70s/ early 80s, when Lucas was still talking about doing nine movies, he said the only characters who would be in all nine films would be the droids.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #437
Octoberist
point blank

Phasing out R2 or 3PO would be criminal.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #438
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

Wouldn't mind seeing Ksenia as a villain. Starts out good. Turns to the dark side.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #439
sueb1863
Side-Kick

Yep. They're machines so unless we see them destroyed there's no reason for them to not be around.

Now whether Anthony Daniels will always be able to play C3PO is another matter, but he ought to at least be able to do the voice.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #440
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

It was Saoirse Ronan.

I think it's this part:
Aha! thanks for clearing that up for me, I totally forgot who it was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Phasing out R2 or 3PO would be criminal.
Jail me then, cause i'm a bit tired of 3PO. Ever since ESB i really wanted Han to just turn him off and not turn him on again R2 i adore though.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #441
Raven X
Defying Gravity

Is Ksenia giving us a hint with that retweet??

Disney Lover!!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #442
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

What she (and other actors) needs to do is say "I'm not going to be in the new Star Wars. Maybe next time!" if they know they are not in it.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #443
Wheels
The Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
What she (and other actors) needs to do is say "I'm not going to be in the new Star Wars. Maybe next time!" if they know they are not in it.
Where's the fun in that? If they let the rumors keep going then their name is out there longer. I didn't even know who half of these people were until they were linked to Star Wars.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #444
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

So... about that Luke Skywalker teaser trailer...

https://twitter.com/aliarikan/status/387580483619807232 (Oct 8)
https://twitter.com/aliarikan/status/387581191890939904 (Oct 8)

I give it one more day.

#neverforget
#accountability

https://twitter.com/aliarikan/status/359381859668463616 (Jul 22)
https://twitter.com/aliarikan/status/359382232969904128 (Jul 22)

Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #445
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

To be fair I don't think we will get a teaser possibly now. But Ali has been giving SW news for a lot longer then July. From what we've heard now...I kinda think there may have been some video with JJ but last minute was pulled, since all the "script stuff" was going on then.

But during the PT days Ali got quite a lot right.

But this shift may have changed a lot.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #446
titansupes
Side-Kick

I got woken up by an email on my phone this morning that said... A new video uploaded to the StarWars.Com YouTube Channel, "George Lucas Interviews: Carrie Fischer". I thought, 'Holy ****, is this finally it?'. But no. Just old stuff from A New Hope.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #447
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

^Last week Leia was "Character of the Week" on their site, facebook page, and twitter handle. This week, Leia's adoptive father is the "Character of the Week."

Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #448
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
I got woken up by an email on my phone this morning that said... A new video uploaded to the StarWars.Com YouTube Channel, "George Lucas Interviews: Carrie Fischer". I thought, 'Holy ****, is this finally it?'. But no. Just old stuff from A New Hope.

Well the guy putting up the videos from LFL confirmed last week that that stuff was not counting down to anything. I'm hoping we get some kind of news tomorrow, but I would not expect a whole lot.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #449
georgec
Not a hero

I'm still thinking tomorrow just might be a title reveal and possibly an announcement for the returning cast, but given the news about negotiations with Ford happening these past few weeks they couldn't have known to plan such an announcement.

I guess we'll find out either way.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #450
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Oh ya I'm always hopeful/optimistic. But at the same time I try to look at the other sides of possibility.