The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #501
Batspider77
"SPOILER JUNKIE"

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 6

With JJ in Charge we will get very little spoilrish Material anyways.My guess is a Casting annoucement early next Year,then one when Shooting starts....a teaser and a Trailer,thats it.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #502
Octoberist
point blank

I'm losing my marbles..me wants news! ME WANTS NEWS!

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #503
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'm losing my marbles..me wants news! ME WANTS NEWS!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #504
Bim
Side-Kick

To be honest, and it comes as a big surprise to me, i'm focusing my excitement on Thor 2, Captain America 2, X-Men DOFP and even TA 2. I dont have much to get excited for when it comes to SW, so i'm just gonna put it out of my mind. And it's easier than i thought it was gonna be lol. See what you've done Disney and LFL? This has never happened to me before Hopefully they'll announce the release of the movie at least one month in advance so i know when to buy my ticket

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 10-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #505
Visiting Arkham
Side-Kick

With other big 2015 releases like Age of Ultron and Batman vs. Superman ramping up (the latter already filming a scene!) I think this definitely spells trouble. In case you all haven't seen this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-disney-651482
Quote:
Disney might be experiencing a disturbance in the Force.

With the Oct. 24 exit of Star Wars: Episode VII writer Michael Arndt, the studio is under the gun to keep the film on course for a 2015 release despite a script that several insiders say isn't close to ready.

According to those close to the project, producer Kathleen Kennedy and most of the film's creative team have asked Disney to push the release to 2016, but studio CEO Robert Iger is adamant that Episode VII -- perhaps the franchise's most anticipated installment since 1999's The Phantom Menace -- not budge. That has created enormous pressure on all involved, with director J.J. Abrams stepping in to take over scripting duties with Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote 1980's Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, considered the best film in the series.

For his part, Arndt worked exclusively on Episode VII for most of the past year and already had penned a 40- to 50-page treatment before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney in October 2012. But as one of Hollywood's highest-paid screenwriters, who can command more than $300,000 a week doing rewrites, the Oscar-winning scribe (Little Miss Sunshine) was ready to move on to other projects.

Some sources say Abrams has become autocratic in recent months, wresting some casting control from Kennedy. But others disputed that notion, saying Abrams and Kennedy both have been involved in casting sessions. Unlike Kennedy, Abrams is said to be more in sync with Iger's desire to meet the 2015 release target -- which allows zero margin for error -- at all costs.

Although the 2015 schedule already is full of tentpoles including Disney/Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron, Warner Bros.' Superman-Batman mashup and Lionsgate's final Hunger Games, Iger has crafted a Star Wars game plan that hinges on Episode VII hitting the big screen that summer. The studio is expected to roll out Episodes VII, VIII and IX over a six-year period, with at least two spinoffs -- penned by a team including Kasdan and Simon Kinberg -- interspersed between.

Still, another project insider dismisses talk of problems and what the writer shuffle means for what is perhaps Hollywood's most valued franchise. "It's nothing out of the ordinary," says the insider. "Almost every big movie changes writers at some point. There's no drama here."

Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #506
georgec
Not a hero

I just hope someone is filming and documenting all this pre-production.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #507
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Like I've said elsewhere, the battle seems to be between Kathy and Iger, if JJ the man actually doing the work feels it can be done (which it says he thinks he can) then let him do it. Of course I want the best quality, but if JJ think he can do it, I'm sure he can. To me it sounds like the suits are fighting about it, and JJ is saying he thinks he can accomplish it. I still think regardless they are making a great movie, actually this is all ready starting out like the story behind the scenes most famous movies have.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #508
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Like I said Star Wars always has the best behind the scene stories. Always.

They're long and amazing and always surprisingly super well documented. Really hope someone is keeping tabs on all of this so we can see what in fact happened.

It's entirely possible we may even have to wait for the entire new trilogy to end to get the full story. Even then it should be for quite a watch.

But with that said those documentaries were released under Lucas and Fox who surprisingly tend to be super candid about stuff like this. Something tells me Disney would like to keep the lid on a lot of this because they seem to have this thing with always looking as perfect as can be.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #509
bapi
Side-Kick

They'll need 16-18 months for shooting + post-production so what are we really talking about? Summer '15 is impossible.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #510
bapi
Side-Kick

This is a great article: How In The World Do You Write Star Wars Episode 7???

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #511
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
They'll need 16-18 months for shooting + post-production so what are we really talking about? Summer '15 is impossible.
lol they won't need that much time to shoot. No way.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #512
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
LOL no they won't. Transformers 4 is still filming right now and it's coming out this summer. And those are more SFX heavy then the Prequels were.

The thing that needs most time is post-production. And that can be done quickly if money is no object. And for Bob/Disney it is no object. Now that Disney owns ILM they will make sure they have double/triple the team normally used to make sure they get quality, but done faster. Additionally, like I said above they hired two top tier production designers, and that is very rare. That means they want to get the sets built with quality, but fast, usually there is only one production designer at the helm.

The thing they can't rush is what they are doing now, which it seems they have 5-6 months until filming starts. So they are not rushing that aspect it seems. But the post production can be rushed without hurting quality, it will just cost an arm and a leg, and trust me Disney will pay for it. I have a feeling Episode VII will be one of the most expensive films made.

A lot of post-production is different from 10 years ago STID got their post done in about 8 months.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #513
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I'm also going to quote a few that I agree with over at TFN, and Serpico I'm using your quote too.

Quote:
"Art strives on restrictions" - Nicholas Meyer
Quote:
Two immediate reactions:
I'm shocked that the (inevitable) request for a delay is coming from KK and not JJ !
This leads credence to the interpretation that JJ & LK are building upon Arndt's framework, versus a total rewrite from page one. I had previously believed the reverse, but this report suggests otherwise.

Instead of being primarily a "creative differences"-driven change, it looks like Arndt's ouster had as much to do with meeting the deadline in a rushed production as it does anything else.
I'm a bit more optimistic based on this report. Although it potentially sounds like a 'production in chaos' situation, I do like the idea of deadline pressure and furious activity. It focuses the effort and reduces the chance of second-guessing and tinkering-to-death. The prequels were typically produced in an atmosphere of leisurely-paced, whatever-George-wants, relative comfort, compared to a major corporate deadline-driven shareholder-driven environment. This doesn't guarantee improvement, but, might be a helpful factor..

Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #514
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_4182415.html

Great read.

Some good points in there include that this friction does show that people actually CARE about this project and know if they fail it will hurt them forever. As this guy said, most of the great films out there, you do not hear about their troubled productions during the actual productions. Sadly some of this is getting leaked.

If JJ feels confident to do this....then that is what should be done. But one thing does seem sure. It's confirmed 2015. Now maybe December is in the card in case worse comes to worse.

Last edited by Solidus; 10-31-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #515
Octoberist
point blank

Drama does a body good but what about the naive aspect havig a new sequel every two years, and a spin-off in between? now that's just pure fantasy.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #516
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Drama does a boy good but what about the naive aspect havig a new sequel every two years, and a spin-off in between? now that's just pure fantasy.
Oh ya. That I dont' think will happen.

I see it as

Episode VII: 2015
Episode VIII: 2017
First Spin-off: 2018
Episode IX: 2019

However on the other side of it, I will say that I have been hearing things from the investment side of Disney, some rumblings of how some investors feel. A lot are becoming worried about over-saturation like that. And Marvel is the experiment of this. They are releasing 2 films a year. And many are worried about diminished returns. Iger leaves after 2015. So it sounds like with Star Wars the investors don't want that kind of model. And it most likely will change.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #517
Octoberist
point blank

Thats good to know!

Though I just don't understand Iger not even wanting a December 2015 release. I think everyone involved will know by next year if its feasible for a Summer 2015 release.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #518
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Actually there was a Tweet a few minutes ago about a big meeting in Europe for Lucasfilm and the future projects. That and there is a huge investors meeting for Disney next week on November 7th.

https://twitter.com/Barbieguitar

I think they have to know soon. And JJ is cool with it and knows he can get it done. So I say let him do it. It's possible Kathy is just being...maybe "too safe". December may be a worst case scenario date. But like JJ said he can't mess up anything right now, and is on a roll. JJ was so concerned about it before but seems confident now that he can make the date.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #519
Octoberist
point blank

Here's the more specific tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Barbiegui...32541070225408

Yeah if they're going to have a summit of some kind that makes sense.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #520
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

What Faraci has been saying is that he was hearing that Abrams was making noise about walking out due to the release date and script. At least that's his story now. THR source says Abrams is ok with 2015 now. So what changed?

Perhaps the Arndt script was too ambitious and Abrams wanted it scaled back to hit the 2015 release year. So him and Kasdan were/are changing the script to hit 2015. As I said before, who knows...

Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #521
Octoberist
point blank

Right now I just hope they can deliever with the new script. I do think it's not from the ground up; just a major revision but the narrative throughline is about the same.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #522
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
What Faraci has been saying is that he was hearing that Abrams was making noise about walking out due to the release date and script. At least that's his story now. THR source says Abrams is ok with 2015 now. So what changed?

Perhaps the Arndt script was too ambitious and Abrams wanted it scaled back to hit the 2015 release year. So him and Kasdan were/are changing the script to hit 2015. As I said before, who knows...
Actually no. This article indicates that Ardnt seriously just left a little bit ago, and it was because of time constraints. So it sounds like they are using his script, but Ardnt does not do well under pressure, he took years and years to make Toy Story 3 after basing it off of someone elses outline. I don't think the man can do it that way.

It's by no means scaled back, the changes made from most rumblings have been the focus of certain characters. They are not "dumbing" it down.

Regardless JJ is on a roll, and feels confident about what they are doing. And this article shows more concrete that this was not a "gut" job of Ardnt's script. Now it seems like JJ and Ardnt may have fought, but Michael wrote the changes with JJ until very recently. And Kasdan and JJ fully took over.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #523
Octoberist
point blank

Who thinks we'll have another countdown to Nov 7th for news?

BTW we have been getting 'news' but not the type of news we were all expecting, haha!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #524
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya I don't know if I'll stand by a countdown lol, but I think with all of the talk of this, Iger will have to say something soon. Same with LFL.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #525
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Ah, here's something we forgot in light of the writer change announcement last week. Takes on a bit of a different light now that I'm reading it.

Quote:
“There is no truth to the rumor,” Lucasfilm said in a statement issued Monday. “J.J. is having a great time working on the script and is looking forward to going into production next year.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...lucasfilm-says

Then on October 24, Lucasfilm formally announces JJ Abrams on the script with Kasdan.

Closed Thread