The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Ben Affleck IS Batman - Part 9

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman!! - Part 7

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman!! - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
I think it's likely that it'll be a double appearance with both Bats and Supes, to drive the point home that the movie is a double feature. I'm a little terrified that they'll update Superman's costume and give him the New 52 design, just because. Perhaps they want some synergy? Blergh.
you're getting terrified by a 100% baseless concern?

Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Dk1201
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman!! - Part 9

I still like Affleck for Batman

Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman!! - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcQueen View Post
you're getting terrified by a 100% baseless concern?
Fine, then let's replace the "terrified" with "very mildly worried", ok? But you get my point.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Travesty
Dats right!

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Sex
Side-Kick

I am here. I approve of Ben Affleck.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Loki882
Side-Kick

I really do think that some people are just looking for something, anything to complain or worry about. It's like a compulsion, they just can't help it.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #9
shauner111
Side-Kick

Maybe.

I mean, I like Affleck. Solid actor these days, good director too. Looks the part. Has the height, the build, the chin, the hair. Doesn't have the voice but that's not hard to fix. Quite honestly...he's not the problem.

David Goyer is an alright writer but a great idea man. Snyder is a great idea man visually, but just an OK director. That's good enough for me to stay up til midnight to watch each trailer and to buy a movie ticket in advance because it's BATMAN vs SUPERMAN. Im grateful. But..

It's still being made to combat the Avengers. WB still don't know what they're doing with DC characters and now that Nolan is gone they can kiss his ass for his own movies but now they can stretch a bit and have a few beers. They can make their lists of what they want for the new franchise, for toys, and the entire direction. Because Man Of Steel didn't give them "Nolan level confidence". So they wouldn't allow a Superman solo movie. So they'll get together and make one hell of an entertaining movie but I seriously doubt we'll see a fantastic story. It'll be alright and fitting, but it's not going to be the thing we talk about when we exit the theater, ill put all my money on this. We'll talk about the designs of the suits, the fight sequences between bats and supes, how Affleck's voice was and how he behaved as Bruce Wayne. The visuals will be the discussion. "This part was cool, that was part was cool, Affleck was blank as Batman".

It's a different beast from the dark knight trilogy. That's a good thing. Bring it on. But it also has more in common with the standard comic book movies of today that Marvel are putting out. Avengers (well, maybe not as cheeky), Spider-Man, X-Men, Thor. This will be a pure comic book movie, you wont be able to categorize it under any other genre. Even MOS had the sci-fi alien invasion plot, but not this. It's PURE comic book movie.

Some are excited because it's different, especially for Batman. But others are worried (Affleck's casting doesn't help if you're not keen on him). Both parties have every right to be. Some people want it to remain serious and I think it will but I don't blame the other people for thinking it's just going to be a dark fun Batman now for the next 10 years. Like Burton's but with accuracy to the source material and animation.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's a different beast from the dark knight trilogy. That's a good thing. Bring it on. But it also has more in common with the standard comic book movies of today that Marvel are putting out. Avengers (well, maybe not as cheeky), Spider-Man, X-Men, Thor. This will be a pure comic book movie, you wont be able to categorize it under any other genre. Even MOS had the sci-fi alien invasion plot, but not this. It's PURE comic book movie.
You say that like you know what the movie is about. Literally all we know about this movie is that it's got Batman and Superman in it. How can you go and make so many presumptions about its plot and what it will be like?

Goyer was the one who came up with the stories for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. He wrote the stories that fell into these different genres. Why would you doubt he'd do something a bit more substantial again?

Let's also not forget that his Flash script wasn't pure superhero. Or his Green Arrow script. People don't give Goyer anywhere near the credit that he deserves.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Da-Scribe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarecrow View Post
You say that like you know what the movie is about. Literally all we know about this movie is that it's got Batman and Superman in it. How can you go and make so many presumptions about its plot and what it will be like?

Goyer was the one who came up with the stories for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. He wrote the stories that fell into these different genres. Why would you doubt he'd do something a bit more substantial again?

Let's also not forget that his Flash script wasn't pure superhero. Or his Green Arrow script. People don't give Goyer anywhere near the credit that he deserves.
Goyer had help from the Nolan brothers with respect to the TDK trilogy and MoS. On his own, his execution leaves a lot to be desired. You're giving Goyer too much credit if anything.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarecrow View Post

I don't need to be a genius (none of us do) or have the script in my hands to know what genre a Batman vs Superman movie is going to be. It's going to be the definition of a comic book movie.

You're giving him too much credit. He helped create the stories but the screenplays were mainly done by the Nolan brothers.

Flash lends itself to crime elements and so does Batman. This is Superman vs Batman. Even if it's taken seriously, it's still a crossover VERSUS movie between 2 superheroes. One is an alien. The other wont be as grounded as Nolan's batman. Snyder will shoot Batman in a much more video gamey style. Think Watchmen.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

This has gone from being about Ben to being about David.
Just to clarify I like Ben as Batman, I just hope they didn't just choose him without meetings and talks and some tests with Henry, if indeed he no longer has to audition. I've never been of the belief that Oscar winner equals good for every part. Again I am on Ben's side!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

If we get a flashback sequence similar to this in the film, I'll be very happy.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://youtu.be/InUj9BT8KCc

Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Nathan

I doubt we'll actually get any flashbacks during this team up Movie. I think it would feel strange to suddenly dive into Bruce's past. Especially since the general audience has already a good idea of what Bruce went through, thanks to Nolan's trilogy.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Maybe.

I mean, I like Affleck. Solid actor these days, good director too. Looks the part. Has the height, the build, the chin, the hair. Doesn't have the voice but that's not hard to fix. Quite honestly...he's not the problem.

David Goyer is an alright writer but a great idea man. Snyder is a great idea man visually, but just an OK director. That's good enough for me to stay up til midnight to watch each trailer and to buy a movie ticket in advance because it's BATMAN vs SUPERMAN. Im grateful. But..

It's still being made to combat the Avengers. WB still don't know what they're doing with DC characters and now that Nolan is gone they can kiss his ass for his own movies but now they can stretch a bit and have a few beers. They can make their lists of what they want for the new franchise, for toys, and the entire direction. Because Man Of Steel didn't give them "Nolan level confidence". So they wouldn't allow a Superman solo movie. So they'll get together and make one hell of an entertaining movie but I seriously doubt we'll see a fantastic story. It'll be alright and fitting, but it's not going to be the thing we talk about when we exit the theater, ill put all my money on this. We'll talk about the designs of the suits, the fight sequences between bats and supes, how Affleck's voice was and how he behaved as Bruce Wayne. The visuals will be the discussion. "This part was cool, that was part was cool, Affleck was blank as Batman".

Some are excited because it's different, especially for Batman. But others are worried (Affleck's casting doesn't help if you're not keen on him). Both parties have every right to be. Some people want it to remain serious and I think it will but I don't blame the other people for thinking it's just going to be a dark fun Batman now for the next 10 years. Like Burton's but with accuracy to the source material and animation.
I get your point.

Then again, Goyer strikes me as the kind of guy who actually aims to have his work discussed by academics. The heavy themes of fear in BB, the war on terror stuff in TDK, the Occupy Movement stuff in TDKR, the anvil-sized Jesus allegories in MOS. One could say none of those are his doing, but he's a common denominator. Also, you have the fact that the complaints against MOS have been VERY loudly spoken, and diminishing his ambitions is not likely to be his first instinct. I expect Goyer to aim for some strong ying-yang, light-vs-darkness, hope-vs-fear, heroism-in-times-of-political-crisis themes in BVS. Now whether he pulls it off in a way that impresses people is another matter.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
theShape
Creature of Darkness

All we need is one sentence from Batman to Superman towards the end of the film about what happened to his parents when he was a child. Something that will allow Superman to finally understand why a man with no superpowers would devote his life to something like this.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #18
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yes, pretty much everyone and their grandmother knows at least the basics of Bruce's origin story. Also, Batman Begins was a fantastic adaptation or the origins. No need to actually go into great detail yet again, a few lines of dialogue would be sufficient.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I agree with all the points being made here. Yes Batman Begins did a fantastic job in depicting Bruce's Origin. That being said I believe Goyer mentioned we'd see a flashback sequence of Bruce's origins briefly much like Clark's origin in MOS.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Loki882
Side-Kick

If they did it like in Batman 89, where it was a brief flashback (minus the Joker killing the Wayne's part, that was really stupid), then that would be acceptable.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
If they did it like in Batman 89, where it was a brief flashback (minus the Joker killing the Wayne's part, that was really stupid), then that would be acceptable.
It's not stupid. It's just not part of the canon. Joker killing the Waynes tied the two characters together. In a way Joker and Batman are responsible for making each other freaks.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
Goyer had help from the Nolan brothers with respect to the TDK trilogy and MoS. On his own, his execution leaves a lot to be desired. You're giving Goyer too much credit if anything.
Personally I don't really see the point of giving someone credit for not making superhero movies out of superheroes in itself either. I'm very ready to see a serious attempt at making a more comic book version of Batman in today's superhero movie context, even though I admittedly haven't read much of him in a long time.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

All we need is a quick scene like this...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The cinematic done for Arkham Origins is pretty good sequence, that's why I said if it's done like that it's prefect without having to re-tell the tale again.

or we can have a sequence like BTAS " The Forgotten" My Family
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrt8i2ROUDU

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 10-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
It's not stupid. It's just not part of the canon. Joker killing the Waynes tied the two characters together. In a way Joker and Batman are responsible for making each other freaks.
It was stupid. It may have worked for the movie but it was still lazy. It was only done because they needed a more personal reason, a higher stake for the two to fight each other when it came to the end of the movie. It was as if they got together and said "well, we ran out of ideas sooo, why don't we just make the main villain be the guy who killed Bruce's parents so Batman has a better reason to go after him! you know, cuz Nicholson is like 12 years older than Keaton anyway. Itll work!"

Closed Thread