The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: Do you think Affleck is a good choice?
Yes 172 74.14%
No 60 25.86%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #101
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ben Affleck IS Batman!! - Part 9

Space and Time Travel.
Thats the plot so far .

Last edited by Mysteryman; 10-19-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #102
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Ooooh.....aaaaaaahhhh....how clichť

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 10-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #103
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
MOS, in my opinion, was colder than the Nolan Bat films.

But there were warm moments. However, I just didn't connect with it as good as TDKT.

Honestly. If it weren't for Clark and Lois' scene beside Jonathan's grave, I wouldn't be as forgiven. Cavill and Adams sold the most emotional performance.

Am I worried about that happening with the sequel? Possibly not connecting with Batman in the way I have previously? A bit.
However. They can make Batman as tough, tactical, and calculating as much as they want. They can have him grabbing Clark by the throat.
One may ask,"how can you feel any warmth for a character as cold as that?"
The answer is: You can't.

But. If Goyer and Snyder can include just ONE scene, of Bruce's pain. The love for his parents. I think it'd be more than enough for us to understand and connect with him.

MOS was a cold film. But the characters were not devoid of warmth. I think in the filmmaking, story, whatever, utilised by Snyder and Nolan, their movies appear cold. But they're not. It gives you a better chance of being able to really understand just how warm the characters are, in a seemingly cold world.
I think the same will apply with Affleck's Batman.

Yeah, if I could describe my experience with Man of Steel...it was kind of like the movie was just...up there on the screen. At no point did I ever truly feel invested and I felt like I was kind of watching myself watch the movie if that makes any sense. It just didn't grab me in that way that you want a good movie to. I could see that there was plenty of stuff there to like but for some reason none of it was resonating. I felt very detached from what I was watching.

And btw for the people who love MoS, power to you. I'm not trying to hate on the movie and I know there was a genuine effort made there. But that's just what my experience was unfortunately.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 10-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #104
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Frankly, i've never found any of the Batman films really that warm. The Schumacer films were campy and lighter in tone than Burton's but I never really found them warm . Was Batman 89 warm when Joker was frying some guy with a hand buzzer? Or when Bruce treated Vicki like a distraction after sleeping with her? Or in BR Selina being revived by cats licking her bloody body? Or Batman blowing some dude up and smiling ? Or even B&R when we got the horrid acting combined with butt shots ? I've never felt much warmth and heart from any of the Batman films , just degrees of seriousness. Maybe it depends on every ones own definition of warmth.

Now , if you're talking emotional moments , then the Nolan films have tons of those and I'd say that BR has quite a few emotional moments mainly in relation to Selina's character imo , more than B89 actually.
There's hardly any warm moments in those movies.

The ending to B&R is the best example of warmth I can think of.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #105
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, if I could describe my experience with Man of Steel...it was kind of like the movie was just...up there on the screen. At no point did I ever truly feel invested and I felt like I was kind of watching myself watch the movie if that makes any sense. It just didn't grab me in that way that you want a good movie to. I could see that there was plenty of stuff there to like but for some reason none of it was resonating. I felt very detached from what I was watching.
That's exactly more or less what I felt.

I think, in them trying to make it as edgy and serious as they could, more than TDKT did, it just had no emotional hold over you.

I know the characters had their moments of warmth and emotion, but the way it was executed - I just couldn't get into it on a level like I did with TDKT.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #106
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

I liked MOS very much.

But the creative and artistic decisions Snyder made for that particular film with it's story and aims - It leaves me feeling that perhaps he wasn't the best director for the job.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #107
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Snyder his lead and most of his supporting cast is returning in the next film
I would say WB thinks that he is the right director for the job.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 10-19-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #108
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Is it strange that I felt MORE attached and "sucked in" to MOS than a lot of films, including TDKR?

But yeah, I think the structuring and writing prevented there from being enough time spent on who Clark is on the inside, thus coming across as detached.

Goyer had the perfect template in BB. I wonder why he chose to deviate from it.
It's like he and Snyder wanted so bad to avoid being "just another origin story" that it became one giant fight scene and exposition dump for almost half the movie.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #109
WarriorDreamer
Side-Kick

Quote:
I liked MOS very much.

But the creative and artistic decisions Snyder made for that particular film with it's story and aims - It leaves me feeling that perhaps he wasn't the best director for the job.
Yes, I think Zack Snyder is the perfect director for 300 and the mentality behind that, but I don't know about Superman. Superman just has a different mindset to that.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2- April 16th
Old 10-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #110
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Ironically, I think he'd be a fairly good director for a World's Finest film. It has to look pretty, be exciting and fun, and have some character depth. I think ZS checks the boxes, and would do a pretty great job if he had the animation people WRITING it.

I do think Superman origin would be tough to pull off, because one can either go "full origin" and risk boring the audience, or go SciFi Krypton and minimize Clark as a person on earth.

It'd be hard to find the balance between the two. Personally, my ideal Superman story would be earth based.

They made MOS like they would never have an action-oriented Superman movie again, while expecting to be able to flesh out the character development for the sequel.

Let's hope they follow up on the latter.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #111
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Snyder his lead and most of his supporting cast is returning in the next film
I would say WB thinks that he is the right director for the job.
MOS was financially successful, sure.
But did that make it a great film, hitting the aims of what it was trying to go for? No.

It was more than fine for WB however. It's about money.

And could a different director have done a better job at the film? Who knows.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #112
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ That depends on whether that "great director" was allowed to fix the script

Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #113
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
They made MOS like they would never have an action-oriented Superman movie again, while expecting to be able to flesh out the character development for the sequel.
I think it came from people complaining forever that Superman never threw a bunch...as if they lurked on a fan website and saw people's complaints in the other movies.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #114
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Fans complain about no punching in Returns to WB, WB sees these complaints AND sees the success in the TDK trilogy and want a dark Superman movie with a lot of punching, ALSO the movie seems like it was done because of a lawsuit AND to open up a wider DCU.

And for those acting like MOS didn't have studio interference, I would give you the stock footage of a polar bear

Old 10-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #115
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
^ That depends on whether that "great director" was allowed to fix the script
I would've certainly changed the ending!

Clark screaming after murder to having a smile in the sun after destroying a satellite?

I don't care if it was some time later, it was just poor story at it's best!

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #116
roach
I am the night

Quote:

And for those acting like MOS didn't have studio interference, I would give you the stock footage of a polar bear
Snyder said he threw that in there to make fun of that situation

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #117
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would've certainly changed the ending!

Clark screaming after murder to having a smile in the sun after destroying a satellite?

I don't care if it was some time later, it was just poor story at it's best!
See that's the thing. Without a happy-go-lucky ending, it would end in total darkness. Thus, if you show him having guilt in the final scenes afterward, the tone of the movie would be downright BLEAK (even more so than it is).

Snyder/Goyer's bloodlust for Zod made for an odd tonal switch. And yet, that last scene of Supes gives me hope that this is how the sequel will feel like.

I feel like if he makes a warmer/lighter film as a sequel, while not undermining the first film, I'll be happy.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #118
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Personally I felt emotion for Superman in MOS. I felt for Lara's fears for her son on earth, Jonathan's fears for Clark, Clark having to shut up and take all the bullying and abuse through out his life as well as how that influenced if he could really trust humanity. The movie did a far better job making me care about Superman than Superman Returns did for me.

I thought the Nolan Batman films did pretty good with the emotional stuff as well especially with Begins. If Nolan has a weakness it is probably with the romantic relationship stuff which can come across as cold and a after thought in some of his movies although I do think the relationship between Cobb and Mal was really good.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #119
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think it might have to do with casting sometimes.

MOS for example. That little kid they cast for the youngest version of Clark, he was a cute kid but they shot 1 scene with him. He wasn't as good of a young actor as the one they got for young Bruce in Begins. Who was given a lot more scenes, so you felt attached.

Then in MOS, they would jump to another actor who was playing the teenage Clark, and I didn't think he was a good actor for that role. I think they could have cast better. I felt the emotion from Costner in those scenes but not on Clarks end. I kept thinking "im not an actor, but if I was in that position to act as if I just learnt about myself being an alien, I would have been crying, shaking, etc". Again maybe that's Goyer and Snyders fault for not directing him to do those things, to just listen to Costner's advice, but I didn't feel as good about it as I thought I would. It just felt to me like the actor/character was only feeling sad by the "reveal" which left me like HUH? Zack should have been like "little dude, I want you to go through all of these different emotions when Pa Kent shows you this spaceship".

Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #120
roach
I am the night

Quote:
See that's the thing. Without a happy-go-lucky ending, it would end in total darkness. Thus, if you show him having guilt in the final scenes afterward, the tone of the movie would be downright BLEAK (even more so than it is).

Snyder/Goyer's bloodlust for Zod made for an odd tonal switch. And yet, that last scene of Supes gives me hope that this is how the sequel will feel like.

I feel like if he makes a warmer/lighter film as a sequel, while not undermining the first film, I'll be happy.
I didn't have an issue with it since I have always seen Superman as a light character. Even when things get darkest he's the one to show up with a smile. That is what Hope is about. To smile even while in the face of crippling darkness.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #121
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Personally I felt emotion for Superman in MOS. I felt for Lara's fears for her son on earth, Jonathan's fears for Clark, Clark having to shut up and take all the bullying and abuse through out his life as well as how that influenced if he could really trust humanity. The movie did a far better job making me care about Superman than Superman Returns did for me.

I thought the Nolan Batman films did pretty good with the emotional stuff as well especially with Begins. If Nolan has a weakness it is probably with the romantic relationship stuff which can come across as cold and a after thought in some of his movies although I do think the relationship between Cobb and Mal was really good.
One of the most emotional scenes in a superhero movie IMO was when Jonathan tells Clark he's an alien. Kevin Costner's delivery of "You are my son" chokes me up every time.....
excuse me I have something in my eye

Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #122
Frodo
Side-Kick

I had a vastly different experience with MOS most than most of fandom. It was totally the Superman film that I wanted to see. It was a break from what had come before yet it was still Superman imo. That's the film I wanted to see. I know alot of fans wanted to see alot of the same things we saw before or things done in the same way as other versions, but that would have been a total bore to me . I wanted something different but not so radical that it was unrecognizable. While it had it flaws, I thought it struck the right balance.

And getting back to Affleck, I don't want his Batman to be a retread of Nolan and Bale's version. I'm hoping for something different.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #123
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:

True. I just thought it could've been handled better.

It threw me off.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #124
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I didn't have an issue with it since I have always seen Superman as a light character. Even when things get darkest he's the one to show up with a smile. That is what Hope is about. To smile even while in the face of crippling darkness.
Smiling after a traumatic experience of killing, it'd have me worried

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #125
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

Maybe it'd have flowed better if the Superman-General Swanwick and Clark-Martha scenes were swapped. The cemetery might be a more fittingly contemplative backdrop immediately after Zod's death.

Closed Thread