Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #251
kaijukurt
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I wonder if by editing the film the way they've had that Marvel Studios may have alienated yet another star in the actor that plays Malekith since I remember reading on how there was a lot more back story involved for the character and based on the reviews that we've gotten, the final cut doesn't show any of that, thus making Malekith a villain with a few layers, which was a issue that Michael Rourke had with how Iron Man 2 presented his character.
This is definitely an issue I had with the character of Malekith in the film.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #252
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
There wasn't "a lot of backstory" though. It was one scene that was cut out of the movie.
Really? Hmm..must have been a huge exposition scene since I got the impression that there was this big back story for Malekith based on the interviews that the actors had giving out all of this information regarding his family and how he and Kurse were supposed to be more like brothers.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #253
Ajendo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
Could you please, with the use of spoiler tags, describe the Thor-Kurse fight from beginning to end as best as possible?

I don't mind being spoiled, and I'm dying to know how this sequence starts, who gets the upperhand, and how it is resolved.

Thank you in advance.
Ummmm....from what I remember, Kurse ultimately lays the smack down on Thor.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
he picks up this huge semi mountain and throws it into Thor, sending Thor crashing back into a bunch if rocks. Kurse even deflects Moljnir. It's a fight that last about 2 minutes but very effective in demonstrating just how tough he is. Anyway, Thor is getting his ass handed to him and Loki saves Thor by spearing Kurse from behind, similar to how he killed coulson but then Kurse turns round to face Loki and lunges forward using the soeR end that's through him to stab Loki too. Thor gets angry and pissed at Loki seemingly taking a fatal blow from Kurse and it's from here Thor defeats kurse

Tyrion: I wish to confess...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #254
Caode
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijukurt View Post
Hi guys, new member! And just came back from watching it at a midnight premiere!

Review! With some very mild spoilers I guess? Just to be safe.

In a nutshell, Thor: The Dark World is a massively entertaining film which effortlessly tops the first Thor.

*Great action, imagery and visuals. Props to Alan Taylor for making this a great-looking film. And I do mean great. The action sequences are very well-done and kept me on the edge of my seat. We get to see Asgardians shine, a Thor vs Kurse bout, Thor make better use of his powers, and more! There were quite a lot of scenes which made me go, "Damn, son!" Or "Oh yeah!"

*While it doesn't exactly dig deep into alll of its characters, everyone at least has a moment to shine. Plus, I'm a fan of how the first focuses on the Asgardian cast.

*I'm mixed when it comes to the runtime and pacing though. At times it seems a bit too fast, while I'm sure the streamlined pacing and storytelling contributed to the entertainment value of the movie. I do think some more quieter scenes would have helped.

*Concerning Malekith, I'd liken him to Red Skull in Captain America: The First Avenger. Mostly there for plot purposes and not making the most of the talented actor playing the part. Nevertheless, he's still an interesting and visually imposing adversary for the god of thunder.

*The film has humor, and lots of it. In this case, it's a good thing and I think in here it works better than Iron Man 3. If you like MCU style humor,you'll find it in abundance.

*There are mid credits and a post credits scenes (2 in total). Do stay in theater as these are definitely worth your time. One is humorous in nature while one is a foreshadowing of things to come.

VERDICT: Sure, it seems a bit fast-paced at times and the main villain could use some work, but with high- flying action, witty humor, and epic scale, Thor: The Dark World is Marvel blockbuster entertainment not to be missed.

Definitely one of my top 3 MCU offerings,and an 8/10.
Definitely agree with you on the Malekith point, and the humour in this was perfect - it got a bit too 'goofy' for lack of a better word in Iron Man 3, and while it does come close to being too much at times it never crosses that line... there's one scene in
particular involving Thor & Loki, with Loki changing appearance to a certain someone
(you'll know the one) which had the whole audience at my screening in extremely loud laughter.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #255
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
This is definitely an issue I had with the character of Malekith in the film.
How did he handle his lines and scenes? Was he flat or did he command presence? I'm wondering because few people are talking about it, instead heavily reliant on wanting more as fay background info as if it takes away from the performance that was there.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #256
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yeah I'm more concerned with the performance that was there.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #257
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
This reminds me of the Red Skull situation. Weaving did a great job with what he had .... he made the role fun and commanded plenty of attention when on-screen. It made you want more, it's just unfortunate we didn't get it.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #258
kaijukurt
Side-Kick

Quote:
How did he handle his lines and scenes? Was he flat or did he command presence? I'm wondering because few people are talking about it, instead heavily reliant on wanting more as fay background info as if it takes away from the performance that was there.
He was really imposing. He definitely commanded presence (especially when speaking to his fellow Dark Elves), and the delivery was good. Now that you mention it, I'd find him the MCU big bad with the least lines, if memory serves me right about the other films.

But if he was fleshed out with more backstory, his presence would have seem more imposing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caode View Post
Definitely agree with you on the Malekith point, and the humour in this was perfect - it got a bit too 'goofy' for lack of a better word in Iron Man 3, and while it does come close to being too much at times it never crosses that line... there's one scene in
particular involving Thor & Loki, with Loki changing appearance to a certain someone
(you'll know the one) which had the whole audience at my screening in extremely loud laughter.
Agree with you here. Malekith is merely good, but not great. Like Hugo Weaving Red Skull good.

And that Loki scene was awesome. Completely me and the whole theater off-guard!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #259
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I think the problem is that aside from Loki, the MCU really hasn't given us that many multi-layered villains that stand out from the average cliche of villainy, where they want to either gain profit or rule the world for the power that comes with it only.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #260
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
This reminds me of the Red Skull situation. Weaving did a great job with what he had .... he made the role fun and commanded plenty of attention when on-screen. It made you want more, it's just unfortunate we didn't get it.
I know, based on everyone's analysis of Malekith he sounds alot like Red Skull. Meaning the actor playing him does a fine job, he just needed more material.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #261
Caode
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
To me.. there was the potential there for a great performance but the story didn't serve that potential all that well. It probably sounds strange but you can tell watching it that he could have been a great villain but it was just missing a few key elements in regards to that particular character. As people are saying.. Red Skull situation in a way.. although an amplified Red Skull situation.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #262
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
He was really imposing. He definitely commanded presence (especially when speaking to his fellow Dark Elves), and the delivery was good. Now that you mention it, I'd find him the MCU big bad with the least lines, if memory serves me right about the other films.

But if he was fleshed out with more backstory, his presence would have seem more imposing.
Thank you.

Just got tired of everyone completely slighting the character because they didn't get as much of him as they would've wanted. If the performance was bad on top of the lack of complexity then I could understand some of the negativity.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #263
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I think the problem is that aside from Loki, the MCU really hasn't given us that many multi-layered villains that stand out from the average cliche of villainy, where they want to either gain profit or rule the world for the power that comes with it only.
Marvel has a particular recipe that they're sticking too. However there are characters that transcend it ..... Loki for one .... and the biggest one they're layering is Thanos.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #264
Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajendo View Post
he picks up this huge semi mountain and throws it into Thor, sending Thor crashing back into a bunch if rocks. Kurse even deflects Moljnir. It's a fight that last about 2 minutes but very effective in demonstrating just how tough he is. Anyway, Thor is getting his ass handed to him and Loki saves Thor by spearing Kurse from behind, similar to how he killed coulson but then Kurse turns round to face Loki and lunges forward using the soeR end that's through him to stab Loki too. Thor gets angry and pissed at Loki seemingly taking a fatal blow from Kurse and it's from here Thor defeats kurse
So is it safe to say given ...

the hand illusion, Malekith taking the dark energy from Jane, Thor vs Kurse, Loki's sacrifice, etc

... that Svartalfheim has the most memorable scenes in the movie for fans who love the epic showdowns, or does Thor vs Malekith trump it?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #265
kaijukurt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thank you.

Just got tired of everyone completely slighting the character because they didn't get as much of him as they would've wanted. If the performance was bad on top of the lack of complexity then I could understand some of the negativity.
Sure. Malekith was just oozing with potential.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #266
Ajendo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
So is it safe to say given ...

the hand illusion, Malekith taking the dark energy from Jane, Thor vs Kurse, Loki's sacrifice, etc

... that Svartalfheim has the most memorable scenes in the movie for fans who love the epic showdowns, or does Thor vs Malekith trump it?
Thor vs Malekith is good but it's not the best imo. There are far more better and memorable scenes in the movie.

Tyrion: I wish to confess...
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #267
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Hmmm as far as overall battle scenes, which is the best in the film?

Also which one on one fight is the best in the film?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #268
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Marvel has a particular recipe that they're sticking too. However there are characters that transcend it ..... Loki for one .... and the biggest one they're layering is Thanos.
I'm hoping that Robert Redford and the Winter Soldier will be added to that list of multi-layered villains within the near future, let alone Ultron for that matter.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #269
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I'm hoping that Robert Redford and the Winter Soldier will be added to that list of multi-layered villains within the near future, let alone Ultron for that matter.
I don't see how that could be given how few scenes he filmed.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #270
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
I don't see how that could be given how few scenes he filmed.
He only filmed a few scenes? Bummer.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #271
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

By the way, for those that have seen the film... Is it true that...

The War against the Maruders attacking the Nine Realms pretty much ends quickly at the beginning of the film, ala like how the epic Clone Wars did at the start of Episode 3, with one battle?

If that's the case, then that's kind of a bummer since I was hoping to see Asgard and Thor in the middle of the/a War throughout the course of the film.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #272
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
The Winter Soldier is going to have a lot of layers by defau lt since he's a good guy turnedbad guy type character. But I don't think it's realistic to.think.both he AND Robert Bedford are going to be multi-layered.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #273
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
By the way, for those that have seen the film... Is it true that...

The War against the Maruders attacking the Nine Realms pretty much ends quickly at the beginning of the film, ala like how the epic Clone Wars did at the start of Episode 3, with one battle?

If that's the case, then that's kind of a bummer since I was hoping to see Asgard and Thor in the middle of the/a War throughout the course of the film.

yep, it's wrapped up very quickly. that clip "is that why everything is on fire?" + the rock monster walking up and being taken out = the maruders scene.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #274
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
I wonder if by editing the film the way they've had that Marvel Studios may have alienated yet another star in the actor that plays Malekith since I remember reading on how there was a lot more back story involved for the character and based on the reviews that we've gotten, the final cut doesn't show any of that, thus making Malekith a villain with a few layers, which was a issue that Michael Rourke had with how Iron Man 2 presented his character.
not really spoilers, but:

he's completely unrelatable. we don't ever get an understanding of who he is or what makes him tick. the movie simply tells us that the dark elves are evil because they want darkness, so by being their leader, malekith is the alpha dog of evilness.

seriously, this movie was really cluttered and focused way too much time on exposition early on, and way too much darcy / checking up on the earthlings. i liked kat dennings a lot in thor; she was used sparingly. i think she might have the most screen time out of the supporting cast... also, dr. selvig is terrible in this.

also, for those who have seen it, would you agree that the warriors three and lady sif are in this less than they were in Thor? such a shame... the script writers really struggled to justify their presence. either that or stuff was lost in editing...

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #275
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

That doesn't sound too good Repulsor Blast. I wonder why they brought back Darcy. I was never a fan of her in the 1st movie.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Closed Thread