2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #276
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Can someone elaborate on this heavy exposition in the first part of the movie?

Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #277
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
That doesn't sound too good Repulsor Blast. I wonder why they brought back Darcy. I was never a fan of her in the 1st movie.
i didn't follow much prior to release, but wasn't she given more time via reshoots? i don't understand why they felt the need to give her so much screen time. she's just too much here.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #278
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
They hated two best (IMO) comedies of summer (The World`s End and This is the End got the same grades) so I guess it`s something to do with humor.
those were substitute reviewers. margaret and david probably would have really liked the world's end. anyway, those subs were ridiculously negative.

here's the (harsh) review/transcript of thor tdw if anyone cares:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Thor: The Dark World

Rated M
Review by David Stratton
THOR: THE DARK WORLD unfolds two years after the events depicted in THOR, and now the evil Dark Elves are threatening to unleash the Aether and destroy the universe as we know it. Fortunately Thor, CHRIS HEMSWORTH, son of Odin, ANTHONY HOPKINS, is here to help. As he did in the original film, Thor teams up with earthly astrophysicist Jane Foster, NATALIE PORTMAN, and once again he has to cope with his untrustworthy brother, Loki, TOM HIDDLESTON.

The evil Malekith, CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON, is a formidable enemy, but the good guys include batty scientist Erik Selvig, STELLAN SKARSGARD, and Jane's chatty friend Darcy,
KAT DENNINGS. There's a great deal of slam-bang action.
The Marvel comic superheroes have an enormous and devoted following. I'm not a fan of this kind of movie, but I reckon that, on film, the IRON MAN franchise is the most entertaining and THOR the most tedious. Yet another boring villain is threatening to destroy the world and yet another boring hero is going to stop him - absolutely no surprises there.

Kenneth Branagh directed the original THOR, a surprising choice, but he isn't back for the new film which is directed by Alan Taylor - without much distinction. The humour is puerile, the action utterly conventional, the visual effects mundane and the performances strictly routine - and that includes ANTHONY HOPKINS who's clearly there only for the paycheck.
Further comments

DAVID: Margaret?

MARGARET: Ooh, you're making big assumptions there.

DAVID: Well, I can't think why else he's in the film.

MARGARET: No. Look, I was watching this and I was thinking really it is cartoon stuff.

DAVID: Yes.

MARGARET: There is no depth. It's all service. It's the same story. The world is threatened by these bad guys with supernatural forces and we've got a supernatural hero to combat them and the dialogue is leaden.

MARGARET: You see, Chris Hemsworth, who was so impressive in RUSH.

DAVID: Yes, very.

MARGARET: He doesn't have anything to work with here.

DAVID: He sounds like he's talking with an apple in his mouth.

MARGARET: Yes.

DAVID: I couldn't quite work out...

MARGARET: Well, maybe it's the dialogue that's in his mouth that's so unpalatable.

MARGARET: But I just thought it's all wiz-bang special effects, all design. There's no real imagination.

DAVID: No.

MARGARET: And no wit. No real wit.

DAVID: Now, Margaret, did you stay to the scene at the end of all the credits?

MARGARET: Not all the credits.

DAVID: Not all the credits?

MARGARET: No.

DAVID: Well, you missed the last scene then.

MARGARET: Well, I can't really judge the film then, can I?

DAVID: What are you giving it?

MARGARET: I'm giving it two stars.

DAVID: I'm giving it one and a half.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #279
alexlachiusa
Side-Kick

Oh wow. Normally Margaret is more lenient on blockbusters but even she gave the film a bad score.

Oh well. I'll make my own mind up tomorrow night.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #280
smallville fan
Hero

Just got back from a preview screening, I think this is the best Marvel film of the year and I highly enjoyed the movie!

Definitely had a great story, good action with good music to go with it, great acting from everyone from Chris Hemsworth himself to Tom Hiddleston. The film brought a tonne of marvelously funny moments, some I never saw coming haha like Loki pretending to be Captain America. The 2 End-Credits scenes definitely tease future exploration unlike Iron Man 3, can't wait to see them. I suspect that the creature is going to show up on an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and I like the tease for GOTG and Phase 3 ie The Infinity Stones/Gems. The only thing they should do for next time is dial down the humour a tiny bit, not every moment in the film needs a joke no matter how smart it is.

Oh btw, is there ever a time when critics are ever nice to cool bombastic action adventure superhero movies(other than Avengers or TDK trilogy)? Seems like all they want to praise are artsy films...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by smallville fan; 10-30-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #281
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
not really spoilers, but:

he's completely unrelatable. we don't ever get an understanding of who he is or what makes him tick. the movie simply tells us that the dark elves are evil because they want darkness, so by being their leader, malekith is the alpha dog of evilness.

seriously, this movie was really cluttered and focused way too much time on exposition early on, and way too much darcy / checking up on the earthlings. i liked kat dennings a lot in thor; she was used sparingly. i think she might have the most screen time out of the supporting cast... also, dr. selvig is terrible in this.

also, for those who have seen it, would you agree that the warriors three and lady sif are in this less than they were in Thor? such a shame... the script writers really struggled to justify their presence. either that or stuff was lost in editing...
Thats a shame, I was hoping for big things from Malekith, especially when they got a good actor to play him. I was hoping he would be the 1st truly good villain in the MCU besides Loki, but oh well. This movie sounds like it has a lot of unused potential, which is a shame, as it had the potential to be bigger and better than The Avengers IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #282
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I saw Thor: The Dark World last night, and oh my god of thunder, it's awesome! I was never in love with the original film, feeling like it had some great characters and moments, but never quite gelled into a fully compelling film. This sequel is far superior. Game of Thrones director Alan Taylor brings us a much more fully-realised depiction of the Nine Realms, and the character interaction is much more easy and natural. Tom Hiddleston's Loki once again steals the show, of course, gobbling both the film's best one-liners and the most dramatic moments. Marvel are on a roll post-Avengers, and this comfortably tops Iron Man 3 (Man of Steel too) to emerge as the year's best superhero film. Oh, and as always, stay until the end of the credits!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #283
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Glad to know you liked it, just out of curiosity, were would you rank among the other MCU movies?

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #284
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
This movie sounds like it has a lot of unused potential, which is a shame, as it had the potential to be bigger and better than The Avengers IMO.
Just stop with this bigger/better than Avengers nonsense.

You're the only person here insisting that and now it's the reason you're looking to not enjoy this film, fixating only on the few negative things said about the movie.

YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #285
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Just stop with this bigger/better than Avengers nonsense.

You're the only person here insisting that and now it's the reason you're looking to not enjoy this film, fixating only on the few negative things said about the movie.

YOU'RE TRYING TOO HARD.
I still find it hilarious how you can't take people's criticisms. How does it affect your enjoyment of the movie when you eventually watch it??

Why does it matter if people have worries or complaints about this film? The fact that you jump on people that have a complaint or two shows just how much of a biased Marvel Studios fanboy you are.

Some of us actually like cinema and film...not just comic book movies, so we have a little higher standards at times.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #286
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I still find it hilarious how you can't take people's criticisms. How does it affect your enjoyment of the movie when you eventually watch it??

Why does it matter if people have worries or complaints about this film? The fact that you jump on people that have a complaint or two shows just how much of a biased Marvel Studios fanboy you are.

Some of us actually like cinema and film...not just comic book movies, so we have a little higher standards at times.
Ridiculous complaints like "Was supposed to be better than the Avengers" and only fixating on the couple of negatives that have been reported in the film? All I keep seeing from the same 2-3 posters is "I'm concerned" ... "My worries" and it's like a mission of self-confirmation bias from there on out.

As for your love of cinema, join the club buddy. That still has nothing to do with undeserved movie snobbery. Btw, your guys' negativity will not affect whether or not I enjoy the film. So don't kid yourself.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 10-30-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #287
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Ridiculous complaints like "Was supposed to be better than the Avengers?"

C'mon man ...... as for you love of cinema, join the club buddy. That still has nothing to do with undeserved movie snobbery. Btw, your guys' negativity will not affect whether or not I enjoy the film. So don't kid yourself.
It has Nothing to do with any kind of movie snobbery. You can't handle criticims of films that you are looking forward to, especially Marvel movies from the looks of it.

You make it sound as if the solo films shouldn't try to go above and beyond what they gave us in the Avengers.

It's already been confirmed by numerous fans and critics that have already seen the movie that the main villain is pretty damn weak, which isn't good or great writing as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #288
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
It has Nothing to do with any kind of movie snobbery. You can't handle criticims of films that you are looking forward to, especially Marvel movies from the looks of it.

You make it sound as if the solo films shouldn't try to go above and beyond what they gave us in the Avengers.
I can handle criticisms, but not from people who haven't seen the movie and not from people who haven't said a single good thing about all the positives being listed by reviewers. How's that axe feel when you grind it like that?

If you think they're going to purposely try to outdo their Phase finale Avengers films, you're sadly mistaken. But that doesn't mean they can't pump out quality films leading up to it ......which is why most reviewers are having so much fun at this film.

Quote:
Once again. How are some people's complaints and worries going to affect your enjoyment of the film?
Not in this lifetime. But your constant negativity certainly affects the enjoyment of this thread when I have to read 10,000 times about your same 2 worries.

Quote:
It's already been confirmed by numerous fans and critics that have already seen the movie that the main villain is pretty damn weak, which isn't good or great writing as far as I'm concerned.
They said he wasn't written complexly, but his performance of what he had was fine and commands the screen. You keep avoiding the fact that Loki turns into the defacto main Baddy and getting rave reviews ....... but you want to fixate on Mal.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 10-30-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #289
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
I can handle criticisms, but not from people who haven't seen the movie and not from people who haven't said a single good thing about all the positives being listed by reviewers.

My only worries are the movie moving too fast due to runtime and the Main villain getting the shaft because everyone is obsessed with Loki. Other than that, I'm loving everything else I'm hearing. See how that works, people can have a few worries or concerns about a film without actually "hating on it" as if I want it to fail. I have enjoyed every Marvel film to date. Hell, I even defended IM2 when people were ridiculously calling it a "SHIELD" film. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited for this and judging by past Marvel Studios films, I'm sure I'll like it, maybe even love it.

How's that axe feel when you grind it like that? If you think they're going to purposely try to outdo their Phase finale Avengers films, you're sadly mistaken. But that doesn't mean they can't pump out quality films leading up to it ......which is why most reviewers are having so much fun at this film.

Not in this lifetime. But your constant negativity certainly affects the enjoyment of this thread when I have to read 10,000 times about your same 2 worries.

Door swings both ways, I see people gushing over this film...that haven't seen it yet.

They said he was written weak, but his performance of what he had was fine and commands the screen. You keep avoiding the fact that Loki turns into the defacto main Baddy and getting rave reviews ....... but you want to fixate on Mal.
That's one of the problems, Loki becomes the main villain eventually...again. It's a new film and I think it would have been better to have the new antagonist be the #1 in this film. I do love Tom as Loki but I don't want him to be overexposed.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #290
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's one of the problems, Loki becomes the main villain eventually...again. It's a new film and I think it would have been better to have the new antagonist be the #1 in this film. I do love Tom as Loki but I don't want him to be overexposed.
Well, unfortunately that's one of the drawbacks of immensely popular and charismatic villains like Loki; they tend to overshadow everyone else, unintentional or not. Had Heath lived and Nolan got to put his Joker in TDKR as planned, then Bane and the rest would've looked small, too.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #291
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Well, unfortunately that's one of the drawbacks of immensely popular and charismatic villains like Loki; they tend to overshadow everyone else, unintentional or not. Had Heath lived and Nolan got to put his Joker in TDKR as planned, then Bane and the rest would've looked small, too.
I understand from a business standpoint that studios would want to show a certain popular character more if it means it will get more asses in the theater seats, but not being able to write another villain to hold their own against the already popular one is simply lazy or bad writing.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #292
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I understand from a business standpoint that studios would want to show a certain popular character more if it means it will get more asses in the theater seats, but not being able to write another villain to hold their own against the already popular one is simply lazy or bad writing.
You make it sound so simple to create Loki v.2 ...... in what movie (specifically CBM's) have you watched where there were two main villains and they were so superbly written/acted.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #293
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
You make it sound so simple to create Loki v.2 ...... in what movie (specifically CBM's) have you watched where there were two main villains and they were so superbly written/acted.
Closest example would be Joker and Two Face in The Dark Knight. Only problem with that was screen time for Two Face. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one, despite loving Heath's performance, that felt Eckhart's performance was damn good as well.

It's incredibly possible, you're just being close minded for the sake of argument is my guess.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #294
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Closest example would be Joker and Two Face in The Dark Knight. Only problem with that was screen time for Two Face. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one, despite loving Heath's performance, that felt Eckhart's performance was damn good as well.

It's incredibly possible, you're just being close minded for the sake of argument is my guess.
Eckhart's two-face was not superbly written or a damn good performance. People complained to high hell that the character was wasted.

I'm not closed minded. You're just insufferably ambiguous/generic with your solutions.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #295
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

I quite liked it. Good characters, action, plot and humour. Very sci-fi and epic, and the jokes actually worked well most of the time - which was my main concern going in. I also saw this with a big group of friends, and the cinema was completely full (2D showing) so box office shouldn't be an issue.

My only problems were Malekith's handling. Sorry but he was awful. Completely uninteresting villain, I'm surprised Christopher Eccleston agreed to do it.

But WTF was up with that ending? Why didn't they just keep Loki dead? Did I miss something? Where was Odin?The entire scene felt tagged on and all those "we want more Loki scenes" rumours now seem to be a cover-up for a re-shot ending. I also read some rumours about a death being retconned and re-shot, so that must have been this.

Oh, and there's a certain Avengers cameo that will make you squeal with glee.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."

Last edited by Hyde; 10-30-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #296
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Eckhart's two-face was not superbly written or a damn good performance. People complained to high hell that the character was wasted.

I'm not closed minded. You're just insufferably ambiguous/generic with your solutions.
Yes, people complained that the character was wasted, mainly due to screen time, but what scenes he had he did a damn good job. Which is quite funny because weren't you recently asking someone if Eccleston had a great or good performance despite him having scenes cut that would have fleshed him out a bit more.

On another note, one of the actual main reasons some fans felt he was wasted was typical fanboy crying that he didn't have the split personality from the comics, which I felt in Nolan's films would have came off a tad too silly anyways.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #297
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, people complained that the character was wasted, mainly due to screen time, but what scenes he had he did a damn good job. Which is quite funny because weren't you recently asking someone if Eccleston had a great or good performance despite him having scenes cut that would have fleshed him out a bit more.
Screen time! Exactly! But did that change how he handled his role in what was provided for him? No. I'm not saying Eckhart crapped the bed (he handled it well), I just disagreed with your "damn good" glowing assessment.

But to my point, even TDK couldn't elevate a known Batman supervillain up to the level of the Joker in the same movie .... and it was a long ass movie!

Quote:
On another note, one of the actual main reasons some fans felt he was wasted was typical fanboy crying that he didn't have the split personality from the comics, which I felt in Nolan's films would have came off a tad too silly anyways.
Ehhhhhhh it was his transition into Two-face and quickly being killed off that made them angry.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #298
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I quite liked it. Good characters, action, plot and humour. Very sci-fi and epic, and the jokes actually worked well most of the time - which was my main concern going in. I also saw this with a big group of friends, and the cinema was completely full (2D showing) so box office shouldn't be an issue.

My only problems were Malekith's handling. Sorry but he was awful. Completely uninteresting villain, I'm surprised Christopher Eccleston agreed to do it.

But WTF was up with that ending? Why didn't they just keep Loki dead? Did I miss something? Where was Odin?The entire scene felt tagged on and all those "we want more Loki scenes" rumours now seem to be a cover-up for a re-shot ending. I also read some rumours about a death being retconned and re-shot, so that must have been this.

Oh, and there's a certain Avengers cameo that will make you squeal with glee.

The reshoots had nothing to do with the ending. Alan Taylor said in an interview that they shot 2 extra scenes for Loki, and neither of them were the ending. They were Loki shapeshifting and Loki in chains

Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #299
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Screen time! Exactly! But did that change how he handled his role in what was provided for him? No. I'm not saying Eckhart crapped the bed (he handled it well), I just disagreed with your "damn good" glowing assessment.

But to my point, even TDK couldn't elevate a known Batman supervillain up to the level of the Joker in the same movie .... and it was a long ass movie!

They might have been able to, once again if he had more screen time, even though Joker is Batman's greatest villain of course. That was the worry that a few of us had towards Malekith, was him having enough screentime to flesh him out a bit more so he wouldn't be a one note kind of villain. So far from all the reviews, even the good to great ones, that is in fact how it turned out. Once again Rock, I'm still excited for the film, but I was hoping we would have had a great villain and not just a good or subpar one. I found the past villains other than Loki to be so so in these films. I was hoping Malekith would have been a bit different was all.

Ehhhhhhh it was his transition into Two-face and quickly being killed off that made them angry.
I already acknowledged that in the beginning of my previous post, "Yes, people complained that the character was wasted, mainly due to screen time". I do remember a lot of complaints about the lack of the split personality which could be attributed to lack of screen time to give him some more back story involving the mental problems that stemmed from his dad's abuse.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #300
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
They might have been able to, once again if he had more screen time, even though Joker is Batman's greatest villain of course. That was the worry that a few of us had towards Malekith, was him having enough screentime to flesh him out a bit more so he wouldn't be a one note kind of villain. So far from all the reviews, even the good to great ones, that is in fact how it turned out. Once again Rock, I'm still excited for the film, but I was hoping we would have had a great villain and not just a good or subpar one. I found the past villains other than Loki to be so so in these films. I was hoping Malekith would have been a bit different was all.
Bro, TDK was 2 hours and 23 minutes ..... every character in every movie could "possibly" be better give more screen time. That goes without saying, but doesn't always take away from what they did do.

You got a great villain in Loki. You just didn't get one in Mal. Wasn't likely given my point about two supervillains in one film.

Closed Thread