Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #301
Figs
Banned User

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Bro, TDK was 2 hours and 23 minutes ..... every character in every movie could "possibly" be better give more screen time. That goes without saying, but doesn't always take away from what they did do.

You got a great villain in Loki. You just didn't get one in Mal. Wasn't likely given my point about two supervillains in one film.
Yeah I realize just about all characters can be better with more screen time. The problem is Malekith is in fact the main villain in this movie, yet because of Loki's popularity they seemingly gave him more screen time over the character that was the actual threat, according to some reviews. Which to me does take away from the character regardles "of what they did do".

You admit and are ok with Loki being great in this film and the main villain not according to this sentence, "You got a great villain in Loki. You just didn't get one in Mal.". It comes off as an "oh well" kind of opinion about the situation. Then you say that it wasn't likely since there were two supervillains in one film.

That was kind of my original point about writing. They gave Loki the spotlight and seemingly didn't write Malaketh up to a similar standard, as if he were an afterthought because they knew everyone is starting to love Loki after Avengers(and the first Thor of course). We're never going to agree on this, but it was very possible to have Malekith as a villain, be on a higher level than past Marvel villains that were a bit on the subpar side.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #302
antonydelfini
Manners Maketh Man

I give it a 7.5/10.

Pros:
Likeable characters: Thor, Loki, Sif, W3, Odin, Heimdall and the other Asgardians with all their character moments, humor, and interactions are spot on. Especially Thor and Loki scenes. The movie really picks up when Thor finally interacts with Loki.

Dirtier, heavier, and more brutal action scenes. Leaps and bounds ahead of Thor 1 in this department. CGI is solid. The 3rd act battle is one of my favorites among superhero films.

It has a grander and more epic scale than Thor 1.

That cameo.

Cons:
Midgard characters: Their scenes just drag (except when interacting with Thor, but when on their own, geesh). Too much Darcy and Selvig, screen time that could have been given to Sif and the W3. The humor from these guys also got on my nerves.

Villains: boring. Been there, done that. No personality whatsoever. But they create awesome action with Thor so there's that. Kurse is a badass and scary henchman.

Plot/ story/ pacing: very thin, very exposition heavy in the first act, too much non-sense Midgardian scenes during the 1st act. But the movie picks up on the 2nd and 3rd act.

Midcredit scene was cringeworthy.

This is a fun, solid, superhero movie, but sad to say, IMO, this hasnt reached the potential of what a Thor movie could be. A Thor movie with the right script and a more ambitious vision could be the most amazing superhero movie of them all. They already have the right cast, they just need to be more original, daring, and bolder with the next one.

Anways here's my ranking for this year's superhero movies:
The Wolverine 8.5/10
IM3 8.5/10
Thor TDW 7.5/10
MOS 7/10

Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #303
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I'm cool with this film having a bit less heart than the first film with the addition of more action. Thor is first and foremost a warrior superhero from a warrior race, he's not a soap opera character both drama and action are equally important to his character.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #304
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Yeah I realize just about all characters can be better with more screen time. The problem is Malekith is in fact the main villain in this movie, yet because of Loki's popularity they seemingly gave him more screen time over the character that was the actual threat, according to some reviews. Which to me does take away from the character regardles "of what they did do".

You admit and are ok with Loki being great in this film and the main villain not according to this sentence, "You got a great villain in Loki. You just didn't get one in Mal.". It comes off as an "oh well" kind of opinion about the situation. Then you say that it wasn't likely since there were two supervillains in one film.

That was kind of my original point about writing. They gave Loki the spotlight and seemingly didn't write Malaketh up to a similar standard, as if he were an afterthought because they knew everyone is starting to love Loki after Avengers(and the first Thor of course). We're never going to agree on this, but it was very possible to have Malekith as a villain, be on a higher level than past Marvel villains that were a bit on the subpar side.
For the record, I am not "OK" with anything yet. I reserve my final judgement to when I actually see the film.

As for Malekith being written on the same level as the Loki or better is an oversimplification. Anyone theoretically can be written better, but how you go about it is the big mystery. It's a loaded statement. You're also comparing a character in Mal who's being introduced now into T:TDW to a guy who's had two previous films for audiences to get to know. There is so much more they can do from a creative/story-telling stand point because he's been properly fleshed out.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #305
Arcam
Side-Kick

Can someone tell me who's seen the end credits scene

What Sif and Volstaag gave to The Collector?

I loved the scene but this info will help no end. Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #306
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
For the record, I am not "OK" with anything yet. I reserve my final judgement to when I actually see the film.

Well forgive me for thinking you were ok with Loki overshadowing Malekith, kind of hard not to when you typed this "You got a great villain in Loki. You just didn't get one in Mal.". It comes off like a "deal with it" comment, which would imply that you don't care since you haven't mentioned or expressed worry that Mal is going to be a boring one note villain.

As for Malekith being written on the same level as the Loki or better is an oversimplification. Anyone theoretically can be written better, but how you go about it is the big mystery. It's a loaded statement. You're also comparing a character in Mal who's being introduced now into T:TDW to a guy who's had two previous films for audiences to get to know. There is so much more they can do from a creative/story-telling stand point because he's been properly fleshed out.
Anyways, we're going in circles since you once again brought up the whole " Anyone theoretically can be written better". You're not getting my point or just don't care when you tell me that what I posted was a "loaded statement".

It all comes down to the decision to focus more on Loki than the character who was supposed to be the main villain. As you even said yourself " a guy who's had two previous films for audiences to get to know. ". Yes, we've had two films to flesh out Loki, so technically he doesn't need as much screentime as he most likely received, we know who the character is by now. Instead of only involving him in the plot and having some interactions with Thor, here...and there, they seemed to make him the main attraction.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #307
darrenbevan1
Side-Kick

My review of the Thor Dark World movie can be found here... Kind of mixed thoughts on it to be honest.
http://darrens-world-of-entertainmen...ie-review.html

Old 10-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #308
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Grade: B or 3.5/5

Mediocre script with a terrible villain is made up for with lots of humor, great action (especially that 3rd act) and strong work from Hemsworth and Hiddleston.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 10-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #309
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Anyways, we're going in circles since you once again brought up the whole " Anyone theoretically can be written better". You're not getting my point or just don't care when you tell me that what I posted was a "loaded statement".

It all comes down to the decision to focus more on Loki than the character who was supposed to be the main villain. As you even said yourself " a guy who's had two previous films for audiences to get to know. ". Yes, we've had two films to flesh out Loki, so technically he doesn't need as much screentime as he most likely received, we know who the character is by now. Instead of only involving him in the plot and having some interactions with Thor, here...and there, they seemed to make him the main attraction.
"Just write him better" is most definitely a theoretical and loaded statement. Hey Figs, just go out and make more money. Ok how? Get my drift?

They make him the main attraction because that's predominantly what audiences like (not you personally). That's why he's getting lots of run in this film. Knowing who the character is allows for you to move forward in the hijinx of the character instead of having to delve into the backstory of why he is who he is.

Quote:
Well forgive me for thinking you were ok with Loki overshadowing Malekith, kind of hard not to when you typed this "You got a great villain in Loki. You just didn't get one in Mal.". It comes off like a "deal with it" comment, which would imply that you don't care since you haven't mentioned or expressed worry that Mal is going to be a boring one note villain.
Why would I be worried? That stems from some emotional attachment you apparently have to Mal becoming the most memorable supervillain in all of the MCU. I just personally don't understand how you could've ever come to the idea you were getting that.

For me, as long as he's fun in the scenes he has and the rest of the movie makes up for his lack of complexity, I will be completely fine.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #310
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
They make him the main attraction because that's predominantly what audiences like (not you personally). That's why he's getting lots of run in this film. Knowing who the character is allows for you to move forward in the hijinx of the character instead of having to delve into the backstory of why he is who he is.

I understand all that, some of us just don't want Loki to become the Wolverine of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I don't think I'm even exaggerating when I say that I wouldn't be surprised if he starts appearing in more films than just Thor. They said that he's most likely not going to be in Avengers 2, we'll see...

Why would I be worried? That stems from some emotional attachment you apparently have to Mal becoming the most memorable supervillain in all of the MCU. I just personally don't understand how you could've ever come to the idea you were getting that.

For me, as long as he's fun in the scenes he has and the rest of the movie makes up for lack of his complexity, I will be completely fine.
I never said I want Mal to be "the most memorable supervillain in ALL of the MCU". I just think they could have done better with him from everything I've been hearing. As for you not understanding how I could ever come to the idea that we were possibly getting "that", IE: a great villain as opposed to a paper thin one. It wasn't a matter of expecting them to write a great villain, but more along the lines of hoping they would.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #311
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

I enjoyed the film quite thoroughly. Fairly easily better than the first. Some random thoughts:

Visually it's fantastic. Pacing, I felt, was a bit off.

Loved the vibe/atmosphere throughout. Score is probably my favourite of the MCU so far.

It's lacking something though, more development in places. Can't put my finger quite on it.

It's very good but I'm not as mad about it as I am about IM3.

I'd probaby give it a "soft" 8/10 (meaning somewhere between 7.7-8.0).

One thing I don't get is people saying it's the funniest MCU film so far. It's not. I mean there's plenty of humour, but it's nowhere near as funny as TA or IM3.

Quote:
How did he handle his lines and scenes? Was he flat or did he command presence? I'm wondering because few people are talking about it, instead heavily reliant on wanting more as fay background info as if it takes away from the performance that was there.
Malekith had great presence, but he could have been more developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
Can someone tell me who's seen the end credits scene

What Sif and Volstaag gave to The Collector?

I loved the scene but this info will help no end. Thanks
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
An Infinity Gem.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Old 10-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #312
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Malekith had great presence, but he could have been more developed.
Good to hear. My "Red Skull" treatment suspicions seem to be correct up to this point.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #313
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

It was fine.

3/5, more of the same. Bit of a letdown after the surprisingly excellent Iron Man 3.

Think I preferred the first one on reflection.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #314
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post

One thing I don't get is people saying it's the funniest MCU film so far. It's not. I mean there's plenty of humour, but it's nowhere near as funny as TA or IM3.
Yes, I don't get it either. It was funny in parts, but far from the funniest. Didn't crack me up half as much as the first one, which is still the funniest MCU movie for my money. Guess I'm a sucker for "fish out of water" humour.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #315
kaijunexus
Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
Care to elaborate as to why?

Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #316
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I guess this is the only place I'm really allowed to talk about it:

Read on a film review site that "The Aether" itself is to be considered an infinity gem/stone. Whether it's the gem of power or space it seems to fit the theme of the film. But then does this mean that The Tesseract is also an infinity gem/stone? Most likely the gem of space? Maybe Mind... But either way WOAH. That's crazy.

So what else will we see? Perhaps more Marvel artifacts conjoined with Infinity gems...

I would also venture to guess that maybe they are removing the specifications to the power of the stones (Mind, Reality, Soul, etc) and that instead they are all just generic "power" stones. Each with a frightening amount of self-sustaining energy. Therefore with all 6 you could imagine some serious domination.

Also they both seem to be "awakened" so to speak. As if they are intelligent. And finally, both are sought by other Marvel villains than just Thanos (Red Skull and Malekith). Just food for thought.

As yet another note, I can imagine that maybe in a GotG sequel in Phase 3 we see Adam Warlock with his green infinity stone which they might call "The Magus," seems like a plan.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 10-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #317
RoboAmish
Side-Kick

Can someone tell me what was with Chris O'Dowd's accent in this film?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #318
Coolcat3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
I give it a 7.5/10.

Pros:
Likeable characters: Thor, Loki, Sif, W3, Odin, Heimdall and the other Asgardians with all their character moments, humor, and interactions are spot on. Especially Thor and Loki scenes. The movie really picks up when Thor finally interacts with Loki.

Dirtier, heavier, and more brutal action scenes. Leaps and bounds ahead of Thor 1 in this department. CGI is solid. The 3rd act battle is one of my favorites among superhero films.

It has a grander and more epic scale than Thor 1.

That cameo.

Cons:
Midgard characters: Their scenes just drag (except when interacting with Thor, but when on their own, geesh). Too much Darcy and Selvig, screen time that could have been given to Sif and the W3. The humor from these guys also got on my nerves.

Villains: boring. Been there, done that. No personality whatsoever. But they create awesome action with Thor so there's that. Kurse is a badass and scary henchman.

Plot/ story/ pacing: very thin, very exposition heavy in the first act, too much non-sense Midgardian scenes during the 1st act. But the movie picks up on the 2nd and 3rd act.

This is a fun, solid, superhero movie, but sad to say, IMO, this hasnt reached the potential of what a Thor movie could be. A Thor movie with the right script and a more ambitious vision could be the most amazing superhero movie of them all. They already have the right cast, they just need to be more original, daring, and bolder with the next one.

Anways here's my ranking for this year's superhero movies:
The Wolverine 8.5/10
IM3 8.5/10
Thor TDW 7.5/10
MOS 7/10
Thanks for your review. I think this movie will do well in the review department because even the reviews that say they are mixed on the film have given it 3.5/5s & 8/10s. I have a few questions for you How was Algrim the elf before the change? How was the transformation to Kurse and how strong is he? Which is the mid-credit scene?

Old 10-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #319
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

i give it a 6.5/10

Thor himself was good but they chose the wrong supporting characters. instead of the warriors 3 we got the science geeks.

Malekith was frankly boring and not threatening at all.

Some of the humour was as good as the first movies and others were slapstick facepalm worthy.

The dramatic scenes were either quickly undone or happened to characters that were more or less undeveloped so therefore who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Grade: B or 3.5/5

Mediocre script with a terrible villain is made up for with lots of humor, great action (especially that 3rd act) and strong work from Hemsworth and Hiddleston.
Then convergance bending action could've been good but it had bad choerography and was too inter-spliced with Jane and the mortal lot and bits of comdey like Malekith and Thor sliding down the gurkin, imo.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #320
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Just came back home from the Thor film.

It's hard to decide if I liked the movie or not. I kinda have mixed feelings.

On one hand, it was a very enjoyable ride. On the other hand, it was too much of a comedy film if you ask me.

Seriously, it was about the amount of comedy as in Iron Man 3 I'd say. To me, Iron Man 3 as a whole felt more serious though. I like films that have some lighthearted moments in them, but I feel it's getting too much now. The comedy was genuinely fun but I expect at least some more seriousness. It felt like they tried to be funny in pretty much every single scene.

As I said, it was still a good film, but twice in a row have Marvel films had extremely misleading and dishonest trailers. The trailers for IM3 and T2:TDW made me believe the films would be epic, emotional and tense.

This is starting to become a pretty serious problem in the MCU right now IMO. It's hard to take their films seriously if they keep going with this. There was a lot of comedy that made some scenes feel very unrealistic. Very much like the JJJ and kid scenes in the final battle in SM3 I'd say. Like, is that really how people would react and behave when there's a deadly battle right in front of them?

Another problem is the villains, Malekith and Kurse. They didn't have enough screen time and especially Malekith felt pretty lame. The ridiculous amount of comedy affects them as well. Not that any of them were involved in any comedy, but when the film tries to be funny all the time, it's also hard to take the threat seriously.

Loki was great though, and Jane was a bit more likeable this time. Thor was good too.

After having watched this film, I am even more thankful that X-Men is back on track at FOX right now, and that the film looks to be a very emotional and sad one. I need those now. It also makes me more worried at ASM2 given the light tone the SDCC clips showed, but I doubt it will be as goofy as this.

OK I think I know what I feel about the film now. Good, but at the same time a disappointment

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #321
Spidey220987
Side-Kick

Film was really good.
In my opinion, it's a solid 8/10
Hiddleston was brilliant as Loki, as to be expected.
And that cameo - wow, it got a huge reaction from the audience I was with.
People were gasping, kids were pointing, some laughed.
I said "that's so cool" when I saw it lol
Maybe write a better review at another date.
Zach Levi was decent too, for the few lines of dialogue that he did have.

Have to say though, parts of the film were predictable, like
Thor & Loki's scheme vs Malekith, and the ending with Odin, who turned out to be Loki.

Still another great addition to the MCU
Bring on Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Thank You Sir Alex

Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #322
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

So far the "I want an enjoyable movie crowd" loves this film while the "everything has to dramatic and emotional crowd" think it's above average to good.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #323
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
So far the "I want an enjoyable movie crowd" loves this film while the "everything has to dramatic and emotional crowd" think it's above average to good.
I don't think you're being fair.

The movie tries to be both, but they aren't compatible.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-30-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #324
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I guess this is the only place I'm really allowed to talk about it:

Read on a film review site that "The Aether" itself is to be considered an infinity gem/stone. Whether it's the gem of power or space it seems to fit the theme of the film. But then does this mean that The Tesseract is also an infinity gem/stone? Most likely the gem of space? Maybe Mind... But either way WOAH. That's crazy.

So what else will we see? Perhaps more Marvel artifacts conjoined with Infinity gems...

I would also venture to guess that maybe they are removing the specifications to the power of the stones (Mind, Reality, Soul, etc) and that instead they are all just generic "power" stones. Each with a frightening amount of self-sustaining energy. Therefore with all 6 you could imagine some serious domination.

Also they both seem to be "awakened" so to speak. As if they are intelligent. And finally, both are sought by other Marvel villains than just Thanos (Red Skull and Malekith). Just food for thought.

As yet another note, I can imagine that maybe in a GotG sequel in Phase 3 we see Adam Warlock with his green infinity stone which they might call "The Magus," seems like a plan.
according to somewhere here, the aether is not what is brought to ...the collector at the end, the aether is destroyed apparently. This is a gem

Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #325
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Where and how did they get that? last we saw them they were on Asgard.

Closed Thread