Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #326
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
I don't think you're being fair.

The movie tries to be both, but they aren't compatible.
Alot of people seem to think it does a good job of doing both, so I guess it's just a case of different strokes.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #327
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
So far the "I want an enjoyable movie crowd" loves this film while the "everything has to dramatic and emotional crowd" think it's above average to good.
Wow, couldn't you make it even more simple?? I mean you don't sound bias enough here!

I know you're not only pointing at me, but I said clearly that I'm all for lighthearted moments in films, but it got out of hand in this one. The film felt silly many times, and that takes out all the tension and makes the film feel heartless.

They seriously tried to be funny in almost every scene. You don't have to think "Everything has to be dramatic and emotional" to feel it's too much.

I also agree with whoever said that the villain had a cool presence but basically no personality. Malekith was the typical "I will destroy the woooorld!" villain that comes out of nowhere. Extremely one dimensional and generic. I think they didn't care much about the villain, but just wanted something to connect Thor and Loki and it worked in that way. But for a superhero film to be great, you need an interesting threat if you ask me. Marvel Studios only have one great and two good villains so far IMO: Loki, Stane and to some extent Killian. The others have been extremely meh.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #328
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
according to somewhere here, the aether is not what is brought to ...the collector at the end, the aether is destroyed apparently. This is a gem
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I definitely took it to be the Aether. It's a box that looks like a small version of where it had been hidden up until this movie. The scene would also seem extremely random if it isn't the Aether.

I really liked the feel of the scene as well. Benicio was as quirky as he can be and I just got the feeling that Guardians will be really fun space opera.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #329
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Just came back home from the Thor film.

It's hard to decide if I liked the movie or not. I kinda have mixed feelings.

On one hand, it was a very enjoyable ride. On the other hand, it was too much of a comedy film if you ask me.

Seriously, it was about the amount of comedy as in Iron Man 3 I'd say. To me, Iron Man 3 as a whole felt more serious though. I like films that have some lighthearted moments in them, but I feel it's getting too much now. The comedy was genuinely fun but I expect at least some more seriousness. It felt like they tried to be funny in pretty much every single scene.

As I said, it was still a good film, but twice in a row have Marvel films had extremely misleading and dishonest trailers. The trailers for IM3 and T2:TDW made me believe the films would be epic, emotional and tense.

This is starting to become a pretty serious problem in the MCU right now IMO. It's hard to take their films seriously if they keep going with this. There was a lot of comedy that made some scenes feel very unrealistic. Very much like the JJJ and kid scenes in the final battle in SM3 I'd say. Like, is that really how people would react and behave when there's a deadly battle right in front of them?

Another problem is the villains, Malekith and Kurse. They didn't have enough screen time and especially Malekith felt pretty lame. The ridiculous amount of comedy affects them as well. Not that any of them were involved in any comedy, but when the film tries to be funny all the time, it's also hard to take the threat seriously.

Loki was great though, and Jane was a bit more likeable this time. Thor was good too.

After having watched this film, I am even more thankful that X-Men is back on track at FOX right now, and that the film looks to be a very emotional and sad one. I need those now. It also makes me more worried at ASM2 given the light tone the SDCC clips showed, but I doubt it will be as goofy as this.

OK I think I know what I feel about the film now. Good, but at the same time a disappointment
I felt that too. There were too many moments where jokes were repeatedly dropped. I'm afraid that's because the GA who loved the jokes in Avengers want more of that. This has me worried. They need to dial down the humor no matter how smart the jokes were.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #330
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Wow, couldn't you make it even more simple?? I mean you don't sound bias enough here!

I know you're not only pointing at me, but I said clearly that I'm all for lighthearted moments in films, but it got out of hand in this one. The film felt silly many times, and that takes out all the tension and makes the film feel heartless.

They seriously tried to be funny in almost every scene. You don't have to think "Everything has to be dramatic and emotional" to feel it's too much.

I also agree with whoever said that the villain had a cool presence but basically no personality. Malekith was the typical "I will destroy the woooorld!" villain that comes out of nowhere. Extremely one dimensional and generic. I think they didn't care much about the villain, but just wanted something to connect Thor and Loki and it worked in that way. But for a superhero film to be great, you need an interesting threat if you ask me. Marvel Studios only have one great and two good villains so far IMO: Loki, Stane and to some extent Killian. The others have been extremely meh.
Hey don't get so up in arms, I'm just repeating a trend I've been seeing.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #331
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

This movies has several scenes that really try to be dramatic. Then some goofy scenes that follow undoing the emotion of the previous scenes.

They conflict each other, i think thats the problem.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #332
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I don't think you're being fair.

The movie tries to be both, but they aren't compatible.
It has to be a little of both. Do you realize the concept we're talking about here? Space Vikings confused as Gods tossed in with some Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. A serious tone all the way through in my eyes would be foolish because of the genre mashup.

I don't understand this requirement for heavy emotional weight all the time in CBM's .... I think some need to re-assess what the word "comic"meant in comic books.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #333
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Hey don't get so up in arms, I'm just repeating a trend I've been seeing.
A lot of people have said the humor is a bit too much

Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #334
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I felt that too. There were too many moments where jokes were repeatedly dropped. I'm afraid that's because the GA who loved the jokes in Avengers want more of that. This has me worried. They need to dial down the humor no matter how smart the jokes were.
Very true! Too much of basically anything is bad, in this case the comedy. The Marvel Studios films are becoming overly simple action comedies with heavy emphasis on comedies. The least I could ask for is for the trailers to at least be somewhat honest. I know not to trust trailers too much, but it feels like they marketed a completely different movie.

It feels like there isn't any heart put into this film, but that the dudes working on it were basically thinking "OK how can we make this film be visually cool?" and while they were making it they went all "Oh...wouldn't it be hilarious if this happened there? Oh, wait wait wait!! Let's put this joke there, and that joke THERE oh God this is the comedy movie I truly wanted to make!!"

I'm starting to get sick of MS now.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #335
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
A lot of people have said the humor is a bit too much
And even more people loved the humor, so what's your point?

Quote:
This movies has several scenes that really try to be dramatic. Then some goofy scenes that follow undoing the emotion of the previous scenes.

See with me that doesn't happen, an emotional scene followed by comedy in another scenes doesn't"undo" anything. I don't know how many times I've been in a very serious mood and something funny happens right after.

I just let out a laugh at that moment and continue being in a serious mood.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #336
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Very true! Too much of basically anything is bad, in this case the comedy. The Marvel Studios films are becoming overly simple action comedies with heavy emphasis on comedies. The least I could ask for is for the trailers to at least be somewhat honest. I know not to trust trailers too much, but it feels like they marketed a completely different movie.

It feels like there isn't any heart put into this film, but that the dudes working on it were basically thinking "OK how can we make this film be visually cool?" and while they were making it they went all "Oh...wouldn't it be hilarious if this happened there? Oh, wait wait wait!! Let's put this joke there, and that joke THERE oh God this is the comedy movie I truly wanted to make!!"

no disrespect, but given this comment, and your last sentence, and your signature, I don't think you opinion is one anyone is taking seriously, regarding the movie.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #337
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:

Speaking of over-emotional.

Quote:
no disrespect, but given this comment, and your last sentence, and your signature, I don't think you opinion is one anyone is taking seriously, regarding the movie.
It's always the guys who are HARDCORE fans of another property.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #338
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:

This! Some scenes were great until something very silly interrupted it.

The final battle could have been really great if it wasn't for how it cut to extremely goofy and contextually highly unrealistic scenes with the Earth cast.

There's death all around them and they don't seem affected at all by what's happening. People are like "Hey look at them, awesome!". Like it's just another normal day. They don't feel like actual people more than empty shells.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #339
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

The humour in the first was well timed, funny to the situation and generally good humour. the one in this has a man in his pants.

For every well timed, well written piece of humour there is more goofy and juvenile humour to outmatch it.

Just the way it is unfortunately.

Quote:
No disrespect but given your avatar it's unlikely you'll dislike this isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
A persons like or dislike of another movie series has no bearing. i loved the first Thor, this didn't match it for me. that's no to say it was bad, just not anything at all special.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-30-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #340
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
For every well timed, well written piece of humour there is more goofy and juvenile humour to outmatch it
Juvenile humor is the kind found in Transformers. I have not seen reviewers say that's what's going on in this film.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #341
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
And even more people loved the humor, so what's your point?
That you are ignoring every negative review and seemingly writing them off as irrelevant, due to a strong bias, as your comment here clearly indicates. My point is that some people seem to not have liked the humor, so that you should try to put bias aside and look at it openly. The humor may, or may not be enjoyable to you, you don't know that, but you should never go in with your expectations too high, which is what you seem to be doing based on your opinions of some of the worse reviews.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #342
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
"Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck"

It's just a top 3 list, and those are the films I think are genuinely the top 3 CBMs right now. Not because they are "dark", but they are great superhero films. I don't want a Thor film or a Cap America film to be as dark for example, because I know they shouldn't, but I also don't want them to just be silly. I'd rank Iron Man up there with the Batman films, and I love The Avengers because it felt the movie had humour AND heart, whereas this one doesn't do it for me.

Quote:
Speaking of over-emotional.

What's over emotional? I'm getting sick of the direction their films are taking where they are only trying to make their films simple action comedies, because I know there is more potential. I would have liked this film alot if they had just toned down unnecessary humour and developed the villain a bit more, but it seems Marvel Studios isn't interested in any of that lately.

To me, it seems you guys get butt hurt whenever someone has something bad to say about your precious movie.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #343
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
according to somewhere here, the aether is not what is brought to ...the collector at the end, the aether is destroyed apparently. This is a gem
Well from what I hear they are one in the same.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #344
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Of course hardcore fans of Nolan's Batman are not going to be too fond of Marvel Studios films and that's not a "bad" thing. They're just too totally different approaches to COM films so it's natural for a lot of people to like one and not the other.

Personally I can enjoy a dark, gritty film as well as a more lighthearted family friendly film, but not everyone can.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #345
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

No disrespect but given your avatar it's unlikely you'll dislike this isn't it.

I have no idea. Thor's my favorite hero, but some of the reviews have me a bit nervous. Maybe I won't like it. But to answer, your assumption is incorrect. I am very open to the idea I may not enjoy this as much as I would like to.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #346
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
What's over emotional? I'm getting sick of the direction their films are taking where they are only trying to make their films simple action comedies, because I know there is more potential. I would have liked this film alot if they had just toned down unnecessary humour and developed the villain a bit more, but it seems Marvel Studios isn't interested in any of that lately.

To me, it seems you guys get butt hurt whenever someone has something bad to say about your precious movie.
Ya, because the Spidey franchise has been sooooooooooooo weighty.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #347
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Of course hardcore fans of Nolan's Batman are not going to be too fond of Marvel Studios films and that's not a "bad" thing. They're just too totally different approaches to COM films so it's natural for a lot of people to like one and not the other.

Personally I can enjoy a dark, gritty film as well as a more lighthearted family friendly film, but not everyone can.
I love Iron Man, I enjoyed Thor alot and I enjoyed Captain America. I also loved The Avengers because the the humour didn't feel as forced and it felt like there was heart put into it, whereas Thor 2 felt like an enjoyable but highly annoying wannabe.

I can enjoy both, you're just trying to oversimplify others' opinions. It's not that black and white you know.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #348
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
That you are ignoring every negative review and seemingly writing them off as irrelevant, due to a strong bias, as your comment here clearly indicates. My point is that some people seem to not have liked the humor, so that you should try to put bias aside and look at it openly. The humor may, or may not be enjoyable to you, you don't know that, but you should never go in with your expectations too high, which is what you seem to be doing based on your opinions of some of the worse reviews.
I'm not ignoring anything I've accepted that Malekith is a weak villain but so far that's the only criticism that's been agreed upon. Yes the humor doesn't sit well with some while others love it and thinks the humor is better than The Avenger.

The point is I can't really worry about something when there's just as many ppl while love something as the people who don't. This was my first time even speaking in a negative review so don't paint me as a guy going around flamming every negative review.

I'm disappointed in you Jaqua, you should try being a little more observant before making accusations.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #349
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Hahaha. Same here BigThor, but you, along with someone else are looking over the fact that some are saying it has TOO MUCH humour. I have enjoyed a lot of the humour in the Marvel films so far, but IM3 did in fact overdo it a bit and it's sad to hear Thor might have overdone it as well. I'm sure I'll be laughing at a good amount of the jokes, but I'm also sure some of the jokes will be unnecessary, or just lame in general.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #350
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ya, because the Spidey franchise has been sooooooooooooo weighty.
Where the heck did I even mention Spidey??

I love ASM and I like SM1 and SM2. They are lighthearted but they are much more balanced than Thor 2 IMO.

When will you stop take my opinion so personally?

Closed Thread