2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #351
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

I enjoyed the movie, it wasn't terrible it was just okay. nothing wrong with that really.

I think by tomorrow i'll have forgtten most of it. Nothing really popped out at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
What's over emotional? I'm getting sick of the direction their films are taking where they are only trying to make their films simple action comedies, because I know there is more potential. I would have liked this film alot if they had just toned down unnecessary humour and developed the villain a bit more, but it seems Marvel Studios isn't interested in any of that lately.
I too am not fond of the simplistic action comedy route the movies are going.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-30-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #352
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Very true! Too much of basically anything is bad, in this case the comedy. The Marvel Studios films are becoming overly simple action comedies with heavy emphasis on comedies. The least I could ask for is for the trailers to at least be somewhat honest. I know not to trust trailers too much, but it feels like they marketed a completely different movie.

It feels like there isn't any heart put into this film, but that the dudes working on it were basically thinking "OK how can we make this film be visually cool?" and while they were making it they went all "Oh...wouldn't it be hilarious if this happened there? Oh, wait wait wait!! Let's put this joke there, and that joke THERE oh God this is the comedy movie I truly wanted to make!!"

I'm starting to get sick of MS now.
Well it's not hard to see where this guy's coming from, and just because he likes Nolan and Batman, it doesn't mean his opinion isn't valid. Looking at Marvel related media since Avengers the amount of humor and jokes has increased A LOT, especially in IM3 and AoS(I guess it's normal as it's a Whedon show) then looking ahead to Ant-Man helmed by a one Edgar Wright. Now this has me worried that Avengers 2 might end up becoming a little too comedic when I want things to be a little darker and more serious than the first movie considering Ultron's going to take over the world.(I'd prefer it if Age of Ultron was like the Empire Strikes Back to A New Hope where the villain wins once and the heroes have to make a massive comeback from the brink of absolute defeat)

Phase I had the right mix of action, humor and serious moments which critics and audiences liked. I'm now legitimately worried that if they milk the humor cow a little too much, jokes will get a bit commonplace and people will be bored in the long term and not take stuff seriously. Coming back to Thor 2, ask yourselves this, did we REALLY need: Thor hanging up his hammer or having funny moments in the aftermath of "Loki's death". I know these scenes were funny and thought the jokes were smart and all, but I'd be just fine if we didn't have them.

Please check out my Power Rangers Movie Fan Trailers!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #353
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I really liked the movie, as did my friend (who likes Thor but is more of a DC fan). I mentioned the mix of LotR and Star Wars in another thread and I feel that it's a very apt description of the feel. It's both very fantasy and sci-fi at the same time.

The visuals are clearly better in this movie. The grand views of Asgard were actually less changed than I thought they would be, but they are grander and it just looks like a much bigger place. When we get down on personal scale the difference is more noticeable and I think it's for the better. The sets feel more relateable and lived in, and the costumes are great. The Asgardians have a more medieval look but it still feels unique and I'm a big fan of all the Dark Elf designs.

Action-wise it's also a clear step up. Thor did some good things in Jotunheim in the first movie but there's much more of that in this movie and it all looks better. The action sequences are not that long and it actually feels good. It gets the feel that combat is often pretty sudden and dragging things out with beings like these can sometimes make things feel like the attacks don't mean much. Kurse comes off as extremely strong and he and Thor are probably the peaks of physical violence in the MCU right now.

I enjoyed the music as well. It's different from the last movie but I think some themes are being reused in spirit, even if there's no direct repetition, so the continuity actually feels fine.

When it comes to acting the same people stand out as before. Chris and Tom keep having very good chemistry and they remain my favorite duo in superhero movies. Things are overall a bit toned down in Asgard so you see people act a bit more casual.

The focus also lies mostly on those that had the focus in the first movie. We don't get to see that much of the Warrior's Three or Sif, but I'd still say that they come off clearly better than in the first movie. Malekith is also not developed much but is rather just the awakened threat, which I think Eccleston pulls off well with just tone and presence. I wouldn't have objected to more depth to his character though, as I enjoy multifaceted villains.

The humor is a funny aspect (no pun intended) as I went in expecting to see humor everywhere but I didn't find it to be nearly as much as I had come to expected. I'd say that RDJ has a clearly bigger humor output than anything here, although there certainly was plenty of humor. I guess it's also a matter of opinion as I've seen people write that they found humor in some things that I didn't. Thor's comment to Malekith in the final battle was something I didn't at all see as a joke, but someone else found it to be. I could have done with a bit less Darcy though.

Overall the movie flows on in a brisk pace after the first part. I didn't feel that there was a run-time problem but it also doesn't delve into much depth on most things. I enjoyed the ride a lot and I rank it very high in the MCU.

(I was supposed to collect my thoughts before typing this but it still just became what came to me as I was typing, so not the most coherent collection of thoughts)

Last edited by Mjölnir; 10-30-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #354
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Ya, because the Spidey franchise has been sooooooooooooo weighty.

You deny it, but you really are taking offense and getting butthurt over people who didn't gush over(as Oscorp mockingly said to you)"your precious movie". You went so far as to start talking crap about another comic franchise(one that isn't part of the MCU), which doesn't surprise me considering that posters name and Avy are Spider-Man related.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #355
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I love Iron Man, I enjoyed Thor alot and I enjoyed Captain America. I also loved The Avengers because the the humour didn't feel as forced and it felt like there was heart put into it, whereas Thor 2 felt like an enjoyable but highly annoying wannabe.

I can enjoy both, you're just trying to oversimplify others' opinions. It's not that black and white you know.
Look I just made a comment based on a trend I've been seeing with the posters that love the film versus the posters that don't. What I said was NOT directed towards in particular and it wasn't really offensive. So you can take it how yout want but what I'm not going to do is listen to someone tell me what I'm doing when I know full well it isn't true.

So good day to you sir and anyone else who took my opinion out of context, I've said my peace and I'm done with it.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #356
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post

You deny it, but you really are taking offense and getting butthurt over people who didn't gush over(as Oscorp mockingly said to you)"your precious movie". You went so far as to start talking crap about another comic franchise(one that isn't part of the MCU), which doesn't surprise me considering that posters name and Avy are Spider-Man related.
Look who's talking ..... butthurt because his worries about a movie he hasn't seen aren't universally accepted.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #357
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Phase I had the right mix of action, humor and serious moments which critics and audiences liked. I'm now legitimately worried that if they milk the humor cow a little too much, jokes will get a bit commonplace and people will be bored in the long term and not take stuff seriously.
Agreed, Phase 1 had mostly a good balance. everything since avengers is ramping up the comedy. At this rate it's not too far from the campyness that almost killed the genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Coming back to Thor 2, ask yourselves this, did we REALLY need: Thor hanging up his hammer or having funny moments in the aftermath of "Loki's death". I know these scenes were funny and thought the jokes were smart and all, but I'd be just fine if we didn't have them.
I liked the former, the latter happened too soon.

but even Lokis death was undone minutes later

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #358
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Agreed, Phase 1 had mostly a good balance. everything since avengers is ramping up the comedy. At this rate it's not too far from the campyness that almost killed the genre.
Genre killing? The comedy antics were amped in The Avengers which grossed over 1.5 billion .......continued in IM3 which grossed over 1.2 billion. Clearly light-hearted comedy isn't killing this genre.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #359
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Look who's talking ..... butthurt because his worries about a movie he hasn't seen aren't universally accepted.
Hahaha!

I'm not butthurt at all, I'm defending him a bit because I knew you and a few others would come out like ravenous wolves attacking him over his views and opinions. Not that he needs my defending, but it was a great chance to point out to you how biased you are towards these films and how you feel that MS can do no wrong and if someone doesn't praise them to high heaven that they're a "hater" of some kind.

Also, Oscorp HAS seen the film if you look back at some of the older posts on this page.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #360
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Genre killing? The comedy antics were amped in The Avengers which grossed over 1.5 billion .......continued in IM3 which grossed over 1.2 billion. Clearly light-hearted comedy isn't killing this genre.
Wasn't talking box office, was talking comedy becoming campy if this rate of increase continues.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #361
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Wasn't talking box office, was talking quality.
Clearly the quality is not based on BO and general audience sentiment.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #362
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Hahaha!

I'm not butthurt at all, I'm defending him a bit because I knew you and a few others would come out like ravenous wolves attacking him over his views and opinions. Not that he needs my defending, but it was a great chance to point out to you how biased you are towards these films and how you feel that MS can do no wrong and if someone doesn't praise them to high heaven that they're a "hater" of some kind.

Also, Oscorp HAS seen the film if you look back at some of the older posts on this page.
Bubby, don't talk to me about bias Mr. Passive Aggressive. We're looking forward to your negative review, it's all but certain at this point. I bet as I type this you're googling for whatever negative sentiment you can drudge up on the interwebz.

Nobody here is using the phrase "hater" either. That is a childish argument ..... not ironically brought up by yourself. When dismissing a movie in "I'm done with Marvel" tone, tells me everything I need to know.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #363
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Well from what I hear they are one in the same.
"Where I come from, they are one and the same."

Here's Feige's exact words:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
It was always the plan to show that the Tesseract was indeed an Infinity Stone, as was the Aether. A lot of that will tie first into 'Guardians of the Galaxy' which comes out next year, and then where it goes from there we'll see....I would not necessarily attribute them based on colors, because you're close but you're not 100% right on what each one is....but yes, the MacGuffin of 'Guardians' certainly plays into the MacGuffins of the past.
So both Aether *and* the Tesseract are officially "Infinity Stones," according to Feige. That would explain the Asgardians' comments about it being too dangerous to have two of them on Asgard.

So Thanos --- I mean, The Collector --- has one of the Gems, and Loki --- I mean, Odin --- has another. And a third falls into the Guardians' hands, and presumably ends up in the hands of another villain, probably --- well, you know who. And Feige has said specifically that this "Macguffin" from Guardians will also play into Age of Ultron, so odds are that Stone falls into Ultron's possession, and probably is his on-switch.

So....potentially Thanos (or at the very least an extremely evil Collector), Loki, and Ultron all gain Infinity Gems/Stones....could we see another in CATWS? Arnim Zola, maybe?

Could it be that it's not just a gathering of the Gems for everybody's favorite cosmic glove, but also an assembly of the greatest evil minds in the galaxy? .....a true Masters of Evil for Avengers 3, featuring Thanos, Ultron, Loki, Arnim Zola, and ________ and _______ ?

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #364
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
We're looking forward to your negative review, it's all but certain at this point.
Just as we're sure you have a 10/10 rating just waiting to be posted

Old 10-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #365
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Don't talk to me about bias Mr. Passive Aggressive. We're looking forward to your negative review, it's all but certain at this point. I bet as I type this you're googling for whatever negative sentiment you can drudge up on the interwebz.
The wording in your post just screams of anger. Did I finally break you?

I don't see how I'm being passive aggressive and you'll never see my negative review because I'm sure I'll enjoy the film just like all the past Marvel Studio films. You just can't tell the difference between someone who actually hates MS and someone who happens to have a few worries about a film here and there. I'm the latter.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #366
Figs
Banned User

Also Rock. I know no one actually used the phrase "hater", I was simply using it myself to describe how you and a couple others are seemingly looking at some of the fans in here that didn't give the movie a perfect rating. There was nothing childish about it.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #367
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I am off to see the movie, review in a couple of hours.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #368
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

I don't see how I'm being passive aggressive and you'll never see my negative review because I'm sure I'll enjoy the film just like all the past Marvel Studio films. You just can't tell the difference between someone who actually hates MS and someone who happens to have a few worries about a film here and there. I'm the latter.
there is nothing angry about the wording of that post.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #369
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:

Hmmm

Quote:
So far the "I want an enjoyable movie crowd" loves this film while the "everything has to dramatic and emotional crowd" think it's above average to good.
^ This doesn't sound like anyone coming after anyone like ravenous wolves, it was simply a general statement made after noticing a trend of reviews.

I'm going to have to ask you to stop taking my comments out of context and over exaggerating the nature of my remarks. Like I told Oscorp I said what I said with no one in mind and no ill will, so if anyone is offended that's their hang up so good day to you as well.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 10-30-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #370
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Glad to know you liked it, just out of curiosity, were would you rank among the other MCU movies?
Better than most of them, I'd say. I need to rewatch it again to be sure, but right now I'm thinking it's behind only The Avengers and the first Iron Man in the quality stakes.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #371
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
"Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck"

It's just a top 3 list, and those are the films I think are genuinely the top 3 CBMs right now. Not because they are "dark", but they are great superhero films. I don't want a Thor film or a Cap America film to be as dark for example, because I know they shouldn't, but I also don't want them to just be silly. I'd rank Iron Man up there with the Batman films, and I love The Avengers because it felt the movie had humour AND heart, whereas this one doesn't do it for me.
Why is everyone twisting what I am saying tonight. No, what I meant was not "Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck". What I meant was that, given you saying you give up on MS, and that your three favorite super hero movies are the entire dark knight trilogy, some of the posters here will probably not take your opinion/review seriously, because it may appear you have a DC bias. Just a comment, but I didn't want it to come off wrong, hence why I started it off with "no disrespect", if my point was missed in transition, then I apologize, but really, I think you're just being a smart-ass and defensive.

for the record, I find nothing wrong with your review, and I am open to the idea that I may not enjoy it as much as I would like, I just hope I do

Last edited by jaqua99; 10-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #372
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
there is nothing angry about the wording of that post.
When you type something like this in bold, yeah, I can tell he's getting a bit too heated over this whole thing.

"I bet as I type this you're googling for whatever negative sentiment you can drudge up on the interwebz."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
^ This doesn't sound like anyone coming after anyone like ravenous wolves, it was simply a general statement made after noticing a trend of reviews.

I'm going to have to ask you to stop taking my comments out of context and over exaggerating the nature of my remarks. Like I told Oscorp I said what I said will no one in mind and no ilk will, so if anyone is offended that's their hang up so good day to you as well.
I was mainly towards Sexton, sorry...

Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #373
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

I specifically want to discuss the end of the film. Should I make a new thread for it, to avoid spoiling things for people venturing into this thread just to read non-spoilery reviews?

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #374
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
When you type something like this in bold, yeah, I can tell he's getting a bit too heated over this whole thing.

"I bet as I type this you're googling for whatever negative sentiment you can drudge up on the interwebz."

I was mainly towards Sexton, sorry...
People can throw jabs without being angry.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #375
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

of the MCU i'd rank it.
  1. Iron Man
  2. Thor
  3. Captain America The First Avenger
  4. Thor: The Dark World
  5. Avengers
  6. Iron Man 2
  7. the Incredible Hulk
  8. Iron Man 3

Alternatively

The Great:
Iron Man

The Very Good:
Thor
Captain America The First Avenger

The Just Okay:
Thor: The Dark World
Avengers
Iron Man 2

The Poor:
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I specifically want to discuss the end of the film. Should I make a new thread for it, to avoid spoiling things for people venturing into this thread just to read non-spoilery reviews?
I was glad when

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Loki died. i've grown tiresome of his smarmy schitck. but he's back again minutres later, The ending was quite good concerning him though

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-30-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Closed Thread