Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #751
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Nice review! Would you look at that...you gave it a good score despite being judged as someone with a bias towards the film and wanting to trash it.
Didn't we all agree to not drag this thread down with that stuff again?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #752
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

I am really surprised how Iron Man 3 and now this have been savaged by fans whereas I thought Iron Man 3 was just as good as Iron Man 1 and the Avengers and Thor TWD to me right now is better than the Avengers. No kidding. I got so much more than I was expecting. truly loved how grand this movie felt.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #753
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
I don't recall quoting you. That post was for Aveit.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #754
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah I think you're pretty much by yourself on this one, I for one loved Iron Man 3 but not more than TA. Iron Man 3 is HIGHLY underrated though, that's why more and more people are calling it a great film now that most of the Mandarin outrage is over.
Nailed it. Agree completely.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #755
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post

Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #756
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Disagree regarding Iron man 3. I think it was far and away the worst MCU film, I will not buy it, and I've only seen it once. The Mandarin twist..no comment, as I....believe..more will come to light regarding that in The Winter Soldier. That isn't what bothered me about Iron man 3.

The comedy was TOO much, and most of it was so ill placed, it just made me shake my head. It felt out of place, I saw it as a director who wanted to make his movie, with little respect for what the theme marvel has established. It just felt over the top, too cheesy and 80s. Too Shane Black. Didn't feel like an Iron man movie, it felt like a Shane Black Cheesy Iron Man movie. I loved Stark's arc in it. Loved the characters, but I think the entire feel of the movie just pulled me out of it so much, I honestly was looking forward to it ending

Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #757
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy339 View Post
I am really surprised how Iron Man 3 and now this have been savaged by fans whereas I thought Iron Man 3 was just as good as Iron Man 1 and the Avengers and Thor TWD to me right now is better than the Avengers. No kidding. I got so much more than I was expecting. truly loved how grand this movie felt.
IM3 isn't a bad movie because of the Mandarin twist.

It is a bad movie because too many things didn't make sense.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #758
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
IM3 isn't a bad movie because of the Mandarin twist.

It is a bad movie because too many things didn't make sense.
Like what? Please elaborate. IM3 is a movie you've to pay attention, if you don't, you'll miss a lot of things. I had to watch it three more times to make sure I knew what was being said including Killian's plan. The only gripe i have about IM3 was the handling of extremis. Many of the major complaints other than the Mandarin are result of people not paying attention in the movie. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-01-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #759
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
Like what? Please elaborate. IM3 is a movie you've to pay attention, if you don't, you'll miss a lot of things. I had to watch it three more times to make sure I knew what was being said.
Mandarin's rings can't be in the movie, because they can do things that would make them look like magic, not alien technology.

However, armour pieces that can fly from Tenessee to Miami in about one minute (although none of the pieces seems to have any energy source or any kind of propulsion) look like technology and not like magic.

Right.

I don't think watching the movie three times will change that. And that's just one of many, many things that don't make sense.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #760
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Nice to see 10s not being given out like M'n'M's for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
It also ruined what were supposed to be dramatic scene's sometimes. And THATS when the comedy gets too much for me. IM3 did it, Pepper dies and Tony is making jokes 5 mins later, here Loki 'dies' by sacrificing himself to save Thor, Jane and Thor are in a cave grieving for 30 seconds, THEN another comedy sequence comes in that lasts for a good 5 mins, much longer than the emotion of Loki's noble sacrifice was . The final battle had FAR too much comedy as well, things are supposed to be dramatic, the universe is about to end and, among other things Thor hitches a ride on a train, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FINAL BATTLE , it was just too much, the final battle couldnt build any tension because they kept cutting away for comedy moments. THESE were the times the comedy didnt fit, and should not have been there.

It also didnt have the heart or emotions of the 1st movie either. I was REALLY invested when I went to see the 1st movie, and come out of it thinking it was amazing, probably because the emotional scene's were really good and helped get you invested, here there are only really 2 emotional scene's, one of which was ruined by comedy 30 seconds later.
Agreed with all this ^

--

and i'd just like to adress the reaction from some to people opinions of the Comedy.

you talk as if it had to be dark and depressing with no humour, or full on campy goofy humour. There is a middle ground which is why people talk about balance.

So the whole 'you must hate humour and fun times and want nolan dark misery' is rubbish and close minded. We're fine with humour when balanced and timed right, and used in the right amount

Quote:
Like what? Please elaborate.
Tony calling the kid a pussy. Tony being weak as a kitten if someone whispers New york, Iron Patriot doing nothing of note, Killain trying to kill Tony even though he wants him to help with Extremis, Armour falling apart constantly, Tony giving out his home address and welcoming an attack and taking no precautions, Awesome plane rescue heroics undone by Tony not being in the armour. Killain being an Edward Nymga ripoff...

The movie was one big bait and switch.
  • Awesome, look at all those suits can't wait to see... oh they're destroyed, that was fast.
  • OMG Pepper is dead, i can't beleive it i feel so... oh wait she's back.
  • Can't wait to see Pepper as a cool superhero now that she has powe-- oh they cured her.
  • Aw Man Iron Patriot is about to kick som-- huh, that was it?
  • Mandarin is awesome Tony's gonna get his butt-- What? he's an actor?

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 11-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #761
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
Mandarin's rings can't be in the movie, because they can do things that would make them look like magic, not alien technology.

However, armour pieces that can fly from Tenessee to Miami in about one minute (although none of the pieces seems to have any energy source or any kind of propulsion) look like technology and not like magic.

Right.

I don't think watching the movie three times will change that. And that's just one of many, many things that don't make sense.
The IM films are reality based films. Mandarin rings are more or less magic than alien technology with stuff like Matter rearrangement, Vortex beams,Mento intensifier etc.Sounds like the kind of things you'd expect from Doc Strange.

You weren't paying attention. The individual pieces used Tony's miniturised repulsor tech for propulsion unless you were assuming Tony had telekinesis, that he could control the suit with his mind. Each piece of independent armor had to have its own power supply to utilize the repulsor/anti-grav flight capacity.And the whole suit flying from Tenessee to Miami is a nit-pick, it's a CBM for god's sake.

BTW where in IM3 was Tony making jokes when Pepper fell? Seriously, I'm watching that scene right now and he's not making any jokes but he's duking it out with Killian.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-01-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #762
Feenix
Formerly CosmicPinchy

I didn't like IM3 at all. The armour falling apart when getting hit by a bus is stupid. The suit in the first movie could withstand a missile being shot at it. In Avengers, it could withstand Thor's lightning. In IM3....it fell apart when a vehicle hit it...what?

Also, after 3 movies and countless upgrades, the suit fails to attach to Tony near the end when he really needed it (and he just says, "whatever.")

Tony having an anxiety problem instead of a drinking problem was just awful. I hated it. Ridiculous.

And Tony tells the whole world his home address and then doesn't do anything to combat a likely attack (like, I dunno, engaging the House Party program, amping up security, being more aware of his surroundings, etc).

Plus, Pepper defeats Killian. Ugh. No thanks.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #763
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Nice to see 10s not being given out like M'n'M's for a change.

Agreed with all this ^

--

and i'd just like to adress the reaction from some to people opinions of the Comedy.

you talk as if it had to be dark and depressing with no humour, or full on campy goofy humour. There is a middle ground which is why people talk about balance.

So the whole 'you must hate humour and fun times and want nolan dark misery' is rubbish and close minded. We're fine with humour when balanced and timed right, and used in the right amount
Exactly! I'm baffled as to how some people can't understand such a simple thing.

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #764
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Tony calling the kid a pussy. Tony being weak as a kitten if someone whispers New york, Iron Patriot doing nothing of note, Killain trying to kill Tony even though he wants him to help with Extremis, Armour falling apart constantly, Tony giving out his home address and welcoming an attack and taking no precautions, Awesome plane rescue heroics undone by Tony not being in the armour. Killain being an Edward Nymga ripoff...
Tony calling kid a pussy is consistent with his character. You're kidding yourself if you thought Tony was going to be nice to that kid. Tony had a near death experience in New York, he was suffering from PTSD. The IP was very integral to the story but I wish I could have seen more of him. Killian didn't try to kill Tony up until Tony threatened him. The armour was a prototype prehensile suit. It was made very clear in the movie. Tony's arrogance is within the character, his bestfriend was seriously injured, he was pissed. Tony was still controlling the armour, it was his brilliannce that he was able to even save those people in the first place. How is Killian a rip off of Edward, I'm assuming you don't even know what his motivation was in the film.

Quote:
The movie was one big bait and switch.
[LIST][*]Awesome, look at all those suits can't wait to see... oh they're destroyed, that was fast.
The melting point of titanium (the main component of the Iron Man armors) melts at 1650 șC, the Extremis soldiers can heat up to 3000șC. So yeah, the extremis soldiers can rip apart the suits because of that. Not only that,the soldiers were exploiting weak spots. If you were watching closely, most of the damage they inflict is via limb joints, the face and the chest RT. Even Killian was mostly targeting the chest RT when fighting Tony. The suits being destroyed was also a symbolic way of showing Tony's emergence as the actual Iron Man in the suits. The film was showing that he doesn't need the suits, the suits need him. Which reinforces the fact that they're not strong when Tony is not in the armour. On top of that, the suits were built by a paranoid and mentally ill Stark who hadn't slept for days, so he didn't put enough effort into building them as he has done with the previous armours, he was focused on getting them done and trying to forget about New York.

Quote:
[*]OMG Pepper is dead, i can't beleive it i feel so... oh wait she's back.
Pepper was injected with extremis. I knew she was gonna live.

Quote:
[*]Can't wait to see Pepper as a cool superhero now that she has powe-- oh they cured her.
Tony is a genius, obviously he cured her. Are you forgetting extremis was unstable?

Quote:
[*]Aw Man Iron Patriot is about to kick som-- huh, that was it?
I would have liked to see Rhodey being used more.

Quote:
[*]Mandarin is awesome Tony's gonna get his butt-- What? he's an actor?
How was the Mandarin an actor? Killian is the Mandarin, he clearly says that himself. This movie flew way over your head or you weren't paying attention if you still think Trevor was the Mandarin.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #765
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
The IM films are reality based films. Mandarin rings are more or less magic than alien technology with stuff like Matter rearrangement, Vortex beams,Mento intensifier etc.Sounds like the kind of things you'd expect from Doc Strange.
Although I enjoyed IM3 and didn't mind the Mandarin twist, I'll type this just for arguments sake...

They were reality based until the Avengers, when you bring demi-gods into the mix as well as a man who can turn into a green monster. I believe the solo films should stand on their own a bit more but the audience and us hardcore fans now have to accept that it's all a shared universe. Although Thor and the Hulk didn't show up in IM3, they are in fact out there. I'm bringing all this up because I wonder how they're going to handle Dr. Strange. If Marvel Studios/Feige agreed to Black's ideas for the Mandarin and that the rings would be too far-fetched or silly, I wonder how many changes they are going to make to Strange. I haven't read a **** ton of Strange comics, but isn't he able to open portals to other dimensions? Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a villain like Dormamu, isn't he pretty much a demon, which would mean some form of heaven and hell exist? Marvel needs to make sure to keep everything together and not water certain elements down, especially after they brought demi-gods into the picture and despite them explaining that their powers were science based on some level, as far as I'm concerned especially in Loki's case, that's full on magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Exactly! I'm baffled as to how some people can't understand such a simple thing.
Same here. You wish a movie or two had less comedy, but people exaggerate and start saying that you don't want any type of humour at all.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #766
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
I didn't like IM3 at all. The armour falling apart when getting hit by a bus is stupid. The suit in the first movie could withstand a missile being shot at it. In Avengers, it could withstand Thor's lightning. In IM3....it fell apart when a vehicle hit it...what?
it was a prototype and a prehensile suit.

Quote:
Also, after 3 movies and countless upgrades, the suit fails to attach to Tony near the end when he really needed it (and he just says, "whatever.")
That was funny.

Quote:
Tony having an anxiety problem instead of a drinking problem was just awful. I hated it. Ridiculous.
How is it ridiculous?

Quote:
And Tony tells the whole world his home address and then doesn't do anything to combat a likely attack (like, I dunno, engaging the House Party program, amping up security, being more aware of his surroundings, etc).
Why would Tony initiate house party protocol to take out 3 helicopters. In fact, Tony has always been able to neutrulize any threat with one suit. He took out 2 of those helicopters using a prototype. He had control of the situation up until that second helicopter crashed into his house.

Quote:
Plus, Pepper defeats Killian. Ugh. No thanks.
Hated that.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #767
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Although I enjoyed IM3 and didn't mind the Mandarin twist, I'll type this just for arguments sake...

They were reality based until the Avengers, when you bring demi-gods into the mix as well as a man who can turn into a green monster. I believe the solo films should stand on their own a bit more but the audience and us hardcore fans now have to accept that it's all a shared universe. Although Thor and the Hulk didn't show up in IM3, they are in fact out there. I'm bringing all this up because I wonder how they're going to handle Dr. Strange. If Marvel Studios/Feige agreed to Black's ideas for the Mandarin and that the rings would be too far-fetched or silly, I wonder how many changes they are going to make to Strange. I haven't read a **** ton of Strange comics, but isn't he able to open portals to other dimensions? Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a villain like Dormamu, isn't he pretty much a demon, which would mean some form of heaven and hell exist? Marvel needs to make sure to keep everything together and not water certain elements down, especially after they brought demi-gods into the picture and despite them explaining that their powers were science based on some level, as far as I'm concerned especially in Loki's case, that's full on magic.
Agreed. You make very excellent points and I get where you're coming from but the IM movies have always been reality based.I am happy they did not include the alien rings on the Mandarin. Having them would disrupt the aesthetics that the studio has created for its solo films; allow me to explain. Whenever I see an Iron Man film, I see it with the knowledge that I will see Stark fighting tech-based villains. Or, when I see a Thor film, I know he will be fighting magic-based foes. The focus on the-elements?powers?abilities-of this relationship effects the genre (Iron Man being science fiction, Thor, fantasy.) Disrupting this paradigm would alienate the audiences, and worse, compromise the MCU. Now, the reverse works only in special films that have team ups (a la The Avengers.)The other problem with using them is that they would take away from the Infinity Gauntlet. The MCU has been slowly building up to an epic confrontation with Thanos. Then, audiences will see something they've never seen before - a hand accessory that can rearrange time, matter, space, and reality. But I understand why hardcore fans were pissed. I'm just happy they did not include them. That's just my opinion of course.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #768
Oscorp
Side-Kick

There's really no reason why an Iron Man film can't have a villain with alien tech when such outworldy aspects have already been included in the shared universe. That's the whole thing with a shared universe: what happens in a Thor film for example is also a reality for the other characters, Iron Man included. Iron Man himself fought aliens in The Avengers.

Now, I liked Killian in IM3. I think he's one of the top 3 villains in the Marvel universe so far, so I'm fine with the route they took. But the whole "Iron Man films are supposed to be more grounded" isn't really a valid arguement if you ask me.

Isn't it a bit tedious to only see Iron Man battle tech based villains? That's another thing I liked about IM3, that Killian didn't rely on a suit. But I'd also love for Iron Man to alone fight a villain who uses magic/alien tech.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #769
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Agreed. You make very excellent points and I get where you're coming from but the IM movies have always been reality based.I am happy they did not include the alien rings on the Mandarin. Having them would disrupt the aesthetics that the studio has created for its solo films; allow me to explain. Whenever I see an Iron Man film, I see it with the knowledge that I will see Stark fighting tech-based villains. Or, when I see a Thor film, I know he will be fighting magic-based foes. The focus on the-elements?powers?abilities-of this relationship effects the genre (Iron Man being science fiction, Thor, fantasy.) Disrupting this paradigm would alienate the audiences, and worse, compromise the MCU. Now, the reverse works only in special films that have team ups (a la The Avengers.)The other problem with using them is that they would take away from the Infinity Gauntlet. The MCU has been slowly building up to an epic confrontation with Thanos. Then, audiences will see something they've never seen before - a hand accessory that can rearrange time, matter, space, and reality. But I understand why hardcore fans were pissed. I'm just happy they did not include them. That's just my opinion of course.
I completely get where you're coming from and I agree to an extent. I wouldn't want large fantasy elements in an IM film, but they still could have figured out a way to do the rings and make it fit in IM's world. The rings in the comics are tech based and not magical. Hell, I would have been happy if the rings for the movie would have just created some kind of electricity or emp blast, at least they would do something similar to the comics.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #770
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Hey guys, which infinty stone do you think the GOTG have? I think it's either the time gem or the space gem.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #771
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
There's really no reason why an Iron Man film can't have a villain with alien tech when such outworldy aspects have already been included in the shared universe. That's the whole thing with a shared universe: what happens in a Thor film for example is also a reality for the other characters, Iron Man included. Iron Man himself fought aliens in The Avengers.

Now, I liked Killian in IM3. I think he's one of the top 3 villains in the Marvel universe so far, so I'm fine with the route they took. But the whole "Iron Man films are supposed to be more grounded" isn't really a valid arguement if you ask me.

Isn't it a bit tedious to only see Iron Man battle tech based villains? That's another thing I liked about IM3, that Killian didn't rely on a suit. But I'd also love for Iron Man to alone fight a villain who uses magic/alien tech.
Good points. Hey it's just my opinion but fair enough.

Quote:
I completely get where you're coming from and I agree to an extent. I wouldn't want large fantasy elements in an IM film, but they still could have figured out a way to do the rings and make it fit in IM's world. The rings in the comics are tech based and not magical. Hell, I would have been happy if the rings for the movie would have just created some kind of electricity or emp blast, at least they would do something similar to the comics.
I agree with that. Before the movie came out, I thought they would be some kind of extremis technology.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #772
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
]
Yet, you've not been able to definitively prove its not balanced. In an overwhelming amount of the reviews I've read on RT, the comedy was a fun part of the movie.

What you're discussing is personal taste, not balance.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #773
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Prove!? *facepalm*

Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #774
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Rock's here. *grabs popcorn and prepares for flamewar* but I have to agree with him here, what CyclopsWasRight is discussing is personal taste, not balance.

Last edited by TeeKay; 11-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #775
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Rock's here. *grabs popcorn and prepares for flamewar*

I'm staying out of it this time, not worth it.

Quote:
Hey guys, which infinty stone do you think the GOTG have? I think it's either the time gem or the space gem.
I'm going to choose the space gem for that movie. If anything, maybe the time gem will be involved in a Dr. Strange film if they make it.

Closed Thread