The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie
10 2 5.71%
9 9 25.71%
8 12 34.29%
7 7 20.00%
6 3 8.57%
5 1 2.86%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #126
unida
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

righteo, off to see the advanced premier in new zealand 2moro.....

anyone got anything in particalur for me to look out for?

unida is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #127
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,212
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unida View Post
righteo, off to see the advanced premier in new zealand 2moro.....

anyone got anything in particalur for me to look out for?
Well since I've spoiled myself already with plot points of the film.lol...how does the action come off in terms of quality when compared to some of the previous solo films, let alone the Avengers? And does Thor come off as a real badass with the way that they use and show his powers on screen?

herolee10 is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #128
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,303
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unida View Post
righteo, off to see the advanced premier in new zealand 2moro.....

anyone got anything in particalur for me to look out for?
not really. seeing it myself on thursday and I guess I can wait those additional 4 days to have all of my answers questioned and all of my questions answered

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #129
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,843
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unida View Post
righteo, off to see the advanced premier in new zealand 2moro.....

anyone got anything in particalur for me to look out for?
Can you (or anyone else around here) tell me where exactly Jane ends up in the film? Is she happy back on earth? Where do they leave her off?

I dont get to see it for like 11 days :/

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #130
Coolcat3
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unida View Post
righteo, off to see the advanced premier in new zealand 2moro.....

anyone got anything in particalur for me to look out for?
Yes, Look at for Algrim and Kurse. Specifically Algrim's transformation into Kurse.

Coolcat3 is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #131
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,131
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unida View Post
righteo, off to see the advanced premier in new zealand 2moro.....

anyone got anything in particalur for me to look out for?
Same as Herolee lookout for any improvements to That's fighting style and use of powers, especially if he uses any weather attacks besides lightning.

I also want you to pay attention to Malekith and Kurse's power levels in comparison to other MCU villains.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #132
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,825
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
What did the post-credits scene tie into?
Gotta have to re-post this

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #133
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP
 
Steyin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,431
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Ok guys, here's my full on review. At this point, I'm tagging it as the cats out of the bag and embargo is lifted, so spoilers galore.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We start of with a brief history of the universe, more so the Dark Elves, and the battle with Bor. It's here where we learn Malekith's intentions: to return the universe to darkness and have his people reign again. Though he is defeated (for the moment), he sacrifices his people in order to escape and go into stasis until the time is right to return and continue his conquest.

I'll be honest here: Malekith is very stoic, very collected and focused and knows what he is going to do and will do whatever it takes to do it. Sure there isn't much back story (not that it's needed), nor any family ties (don't know where the word came from that he had a family and it was cut), but the main thing here is we see his dedication. He lets his entire race fall (save the people on his own ship) as he knows there is no achievable victory at the moment, and that their best chance is to retreat to return again when the time is right. Quite an intense thing to do IMO.

Even with this though, Malekith never really comes across as an intense threat, nor does the fact that the ENTIRE universe is at risk play out as anything worse than the invasion in The Avengers. Perhaps it could have been explored more, perhaps they could have shown some concern from races from the other realms, perhaps more run time would have helped...
This is my main gripe with the film, that the threat seems too easily resolved in the end, but it is also the only gripe I have with the film.

As for characters, Thor is more mature and level headed than before, even more so than Odin it seems. This is Thor's best outing so far in the MCU, and I've grown to like the character even more thanks to the film. He is in love with Jane, so no triangle with Sif, who he pretty much friendzones early on.

Jane is more tolerable this time around and is important as the Aether bonds to her when she accidentally stumbles across it as the realms begin to align and create "portals" to each other in certain locations. I consider Portman's performance the weakest link from the first film, but I have no issue with her here. It's more enjoyable for sure, but I am curious as to what conflicts Portman had when the original director was let go.

Hopkins as Odin is fantastic again, though he is worn now. Especially after
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Frigga is killed by Malekith,
He becomes shaken and it seems that his decisions aren't as wise due to it. He owns the role, and I'm super curious what will happen with him in the next outing...

Russo as Frigga is again a delight in the scenes she has, especially when she fights Malekith to stall him from getting Jane and the Aether,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
pretty much giving her life for the greater good. Her funeral scene later on is emotional and very much reminded of the lantern scene from Tangled; quite beautiful.


Loki, Loki, Loki....There is no wrong Hiddleston can do. He is as delightfully devious as ever, though we do see some emotion from him after
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Frigga is killed as she truly cared for him, and he her. The mother-"son" bond was great.
His dialogue with everyone is great, including his quips with Thor and the Warriors Three/Sif. In the end, he sets up the cliffhanger as we learn that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
he has done something to Odin and has replaced him as King using his magical impersonation skills.
There is more to say, but I'll let you all enjoy it for yourselves when the time comes.

Heimdall gets his moment to shine bringing down one of Malekith's ships single-handedly. He is a true bad ass and has some nice time with Thor.

Each of the Warrior's Three get a moment or two to shine, except for Hogun. He stays behind with his family at Thor's suggestion and isn't seen again after the battle on Vanaheim.

Sif, as mentioned, shows her interest in Thor, to which even Odin makes obvious to Thor, but is friendzoned by Thor.

Darcy has more scenes it seems, but I found them all hilarious and well placed. Dennings is covered up a lot though clothing wise

Selvig goes a little nuts, perhaps a result of the events from The Avengers, but is convinced that something bad is coming (the convergence of the realms) and is prepared to aid in the event with a device he makes. The most outlandish scenes involve him as he is parading around naked at Stone Hedge (I think) rambling about the event to come, and is again later pants-less at a meeting with Jane, Darcy and Thor. He is at one point put in a mental institution, lecturing about his findings and using shoes as his props, where
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
good ol' Stan the Man makes his cameo as a patient who just wants his shoe back.


Kurse is huge, strong and beats Thor like a trashed DBZ hero. Though the fight isn't long, it was better than the Destroyer. Kurse is utilized a few times and almost beats Thor until
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Loki "sacrifices" himself to end him.


The action is intense and well done. We get to see fighting, chases and lazers thanks to Asgardian and Dark Elf tech. All visually stunning and reminiscent of LotR meeting Star Wars. The end battle is cleverly done, involving the fight between Thor and Malekith hopping between the realms as they align, and the others (Jane, Darcy and Selvig) striving to help with Selvig's invention.

The realms are nice, but they do feel a little limited and small; like big open lands with nothing more. We see five of them (sorry, no Alfheim, Hel, Muspelheim or Nidavellir), though I could be mistaken as I don't know where the Aether was hidden after the battle with Bor. We do see slight glimpses of them as they are aligning in the sky, but not enough to get a good idea of the environments. No mention or sights of any characters from those not seen either (no Surter, etc). I really had no problem with that as it would have been very ambitious and unnecessary for the plot at hand. Asgard is the real winner as it feels huge and unique. Taylor did a great job of bringing it to life.

In the end, the pacing of the film seems to fit it just fine, though I can see some thinking otherwise. The issue for this, at least in my eyes, is that what we do get to see and experience is so well done that it feels like a let down to not see any more of it. One thing is for sure; TDW is one Hel of a ride with great action, character interactions, scenery, appropriate/well placed comedy and above all is super entertaining. It easily ranks in my top 3 of the whole MCU (Avengers being #1, IM1 being #2, and this being #3 now, though it could bump up after another viewing) and left me wanting more, eager to see the next chapter. If you liked the first, you'll definitely like TDW.


As for the mid credits scene:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

We see Sif and Volstagg bringing an item to the Collector (played by Benecio del Toro) which turns out to be the red infinity gem (contained in a dark wooden box glowing red. When asked why they are doing so they say that it is too much to have two gems coupled with the Tesseract, and that it would be wise to split them up. After they leave, The Collector says "one down, five to go" to himself.

Now, I could be wrong and it could have been the Aether, but I'm sure that it was destroyed along with Malekith. In any case, one wonders if the real reason as to bringing the item to the Collector is due to Odin's (Loki's) orders, which is an interesting set up. The real joy here is del Toro's portrayal, which screamed like a mixture of Tim Curry/David Bowie eccentric-ness to me. The set and characters seen seem like a cross between Star Wars and the Fifth Element, so needless to say I'm quite excited for GotG even more so now.


As for the post credits scene:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We see Jane eating cereal in her flat, looking sad with Darcy and Selvig in tow, when we hear thunder and a loud noise. Thor has returned to earth to be with Jane, which is not obviously permanent, but more so a visit. After they embrace and kiss, we see the Jotunheim beast, who crossed over to earth through one of the realm portals, chasing some birds around the London background.


Initial viewing 8.5/10

__________________
I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #134
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,212
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Great review! Thanks for all of the insights regarding the film.


Curious, for anyone that's seen the film...


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


1. I've noticed some other folks saying that there's a really sad Sif scene when it comes to how Thor seemingly breaks her heart....could anyone elaborate that? Also, regarding their relationship within the MCU, is it ever established that they were once a couple or are they just presented as always having been friends?

2. Who's responsible for scarring Malekith's face?

3. Do we ever see Odin fight?

4. This is for one of my friends who's a big thor and jane shipper, but do Thor and Jane ever consummate their relationship in the film?

5. Is Loki presented as more powerful in this film than he was in "The Avengers"?

6. What did you guys think about the special cameo that we had in the film regarding a certain avenger?

herolee10 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #135
Moonwing
Side-Kick
 
Moonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Great review! Thanks for all of the insights regarding the film.


Curious, for anyone that's seen the film...
I can answer you some questions here (I read all tumblr reactions to date and there is hundreds already, fortunately they cover almost all of the topics you are interested in) so here we start:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. She was very hopeful, she asked him to walk with her (presumably to make an advance) but he don't even give her a chance. Plainly refused and friend-zoned her.
2. Cant say for sure. But children's book say it`s Thor.
3. Nothing here. Tumblr hate Odin so...
4. Nop, not consummated. I know trailers made it look like she woken up to him stand topless at the balcony-its, in reality, two unconnected scenes. They are innocent besides 3 kisses and hand holding.
5. Far more powerful. Like real shapeshifting, real energy projections, etc. He easily fight normal super-powered beings (dark-elves) but have no chances against heavy close combat fighters (Kurse) as it is expected from mage. In Avengers, lets be honest, both Loki AND Thor forgot almost everything they know to make humans look good and not useless.
6. It was very funny and it looks like cameo actor truly used his comedy calling at least here.

Moonwing is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #136
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,212
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
I can answer you some questions here (I read all tumblr reactions to date and there is hundreds already, fortunately they cover almost all of the topics you are interested in) so here we start:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. She was very hopeful, she asked him to walk with her (presumably to make an advance) but he don't even give her a chance. Plainly refused and friend-zoned her.
2. Cant say for sure. But children's book say it`s Thor.
3. Nothing here. Tumblr hate Odin so...
4. Nop, not consummated. I know trailers made it look like she woken up to him stand topless at the balcony-its, in reality, two unconnected scenes. They are innocent besides 3 kisses and hand holding.
5. Far more powerful. Like real shapeshifting, real energy projections, etc. He easily fight normal super-powered beings (dark-elves) but have no chances against heavy close combat fighters (Kurse) as it is expected from mage. In Avengers, lets be honest, both Loki AND Thor forgot almost everything they know to make humans look good and not useless.
6. It was very funny and it looks like cameo actor truly used his comedy calling at least here.
Thanks for the info...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


1. Well, if they won't let Jane and Thor get intimate in that regards within a MCU film, I'm not sure how good chances are that they'll let Steve lose his virginity any time soon to Black Widow.lol

2. Why am I not surprised that they haven't shown Odin using his powers when he's supposed to be stronger than Thanos (sans Infinity gauntlet)?

3. Again, not surprised that they allow Loki and Thor to be more powerful here when they weren't as much in "The Avengers", especially Loki who was supposed to be a big enough threat to force everyone to unite.

herolee10 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #137
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,131
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Man I'm surprised that I'm STILL pretty much spoiler free with only 12 days left!

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #138
Moonwing
Side-Kick
 
Moonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Thanks for the info...
NP=).
Steve, poor, poor Steve.Lol! But than again only real carnal thing ever shown in MCU was Bruce&Betty in IH. In the rest of the movies-not so much. Hell in IM3 all Tony&Papper ever done was holding each other and sleeping dressed in the same bad. Not even a kiss! And they are THE established couple in MCU. Maybe marvel blamed IH bomb status on that very scene? Like it was soo scandalous that people avoided like hard NC21 porn, so they decided "never again!" on every thing less innocent than a kiss (=hard porn in MCU) and hand holding/hugs (=intimate moments near fireplace, while naked in MCU).

Moonwing is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #139
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,212
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
NP=).
Steve, poor, poor Steve.Lol! But than again only real carnal thing ever shown in MCU was Bruce&Betty in IH. In the rest of the movies-not so much. Hell in IM3 all Tony&Papper ever done was holding each other and sleeping dressed in the same bad. Not even a kiss! And they are THE established couple in MCU. Maybe marvel blamed IH bomb status on that very scene? Like it was soo scandalous that people avoided like hard NC21 porn, so they decided "never again!" on every thing less innocent than a kiss (=hard porn in MCU) and hand holding/hugs (=intimate moments near fireplace, while naked in MCU).
lol; honestly, the best version of a classy love scene for a comic book film imho would be the one featuring Bruce and Talia in TDKR

herolee10 is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #140
slumcat
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,784
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Can anyone answer these questions

1. What is the rough ratio of screentime of the 3 costumes Thor wears - sleeved, sleeveless and that blue shawl wrapped around him?
2. Does he EVER wear the helmet?
3. How long does he wear human clothes?
4. Does Loki have alternate costumes?

slumcat is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #141
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,843
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Ok guys, here's my full on review. At this point, I'm tagging it as the cats out of the bag and embargo is lifted, so spoilers galore.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We start of with a brief history of the universe, more so the Dark Elves, and the battle with Bor. It's here where we learn Malekith's intentions: to return the universe to darkness and have his people reign again. Though he is defeated (for the moment), he sacrifices his people in order to escape and go into stasis until the time is right to return and continue his conquest.

I'll be honest here: Malekith is very stoic, very collected and focused and knows what he is going to do and will do whatever it takes to do it. Sure there isn't much back story (not that it's needed), nor any family ties (don't know where the word came from that he had a family and it was cut), but the main thing here is we see his dedication. He lets his entire race fall (save the people on his own ship) as he knows there is no achievable victory at the moment, and that their best chance is to retreat to return again when the time is right. Quite an intense thing to do IMO.

Even with this though, Malekith never really comes across as an intense threat, nor does the fact that the ENTIRE universe is at risk play out as anything worse than the invasion in The Avengers. Perhaps it could have been explored more, perhaps they could have shown some concern from races from the other realms, perhaps more run time would have helped...
This is my main gripe with the film, that the threat seems too easily resolved in the end, but it is also the only gripe I have with the film.

As for characters, Thor is more mature and level headed than before, even more so than Odin it seems. This is Thor's best outing so far in the MCU, and I've grown to like the character even more thanks to the film. He is in love with Jane, so no triangle with Sif, who he pretty much friendzones early on.

Jane is more tolerable this time around and is important as the Aether bonds to her when she accidentally stumbles across it as the realms begin to align and create "portals" to each other in certain locations. I consider Portman's performance the weakest link from the first film, but I have no issue with her here. It's more enjoyable for sure, but I am curious as to what conflicts Portman had when the original director was let go.

Hopkins as Odin is fantastic again, though he is worn now. Especially after
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Frigga is killed by Malekith,
He becomes shaken and it seems that his decisions aren't as wise due to it. He owns the role, and I'm super curious what will happen with him in the next outing...

Russo as Frigga is again a delight in the scenes she has, especially when she fights Malekith to stall him from getting Jane and the Aether,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
pretty much giving her life for the greater good. Her funeral scene later on is emotional and very much reminded of the lantern scene from Tangled; quite beautiful.


Loki, Loki, Loki....There is no wrong Hiddleston can do. He is as delightfully devious as ever, though we do see some emotion from him after
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Frigga is killed as she truly cared for him, and he her. The mother-"son" bond was great.
His dialogue with everyone is great, including his quips with Thor and the Warriors Three/Sif. In the end, he sets up the cliffhanger as we learn that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
he has done something to Odin and has replaced him as King using his magical impersonation skills.
There is more to say, but I'll let you all enjoy it for yourselves when the time comes.

Heimdall gets his moment to shine bringing down one of Malekith's ships single-handedly. He is a true bad ass and has some nice time with Thor.

Each of the Warrior's Three get a moment or two to shine, except for Hogun. He stays behind with his family at Thor's suggestion and isn't seen again after the battle on Vanaheim.

Sif, as mentioned, shows her interest in Thor, to which even Odin makes obvious to Thor, but is friendzoned by Thor.

Darcy has more scenes it seems, but I found them all hilarious and well placed. Dennings is covered up a lot though clothing wise

Selvig goes a little nuts, perhaps a result of the events from The Avengers, but is convinced that something bad is coming (the convergence of the realms) and is prepared to aid in the event with a device he makes. The most outlandish scenes involve him as he is parading around naked at Stone Hedge (I think) rambling about the event to come, and is again later pants-less at a meeting with Jane, Darcy and Thor. He is at one point put in a mental institution, lecturing about his findings and using shoes as his props, where
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
good ol' Stan the Man makes his cameo as a patient who just wants his shoe back.


Kurse is huge, strong and beats Thor like a trashed DBZ hero. Though the fight isn't long, it was better than the Destroyer. Kurse is utilized a few times and almost beats Thor until
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Loki "sacrifices" himself to end him.


The action is intense and well done. We get to see fighting, chases and lazers thanks to Asgardian and Dark Elf tech. All visually stunning and reminiscent of LotR meeting Star Wars. The end battle is cleverly done, involving the fight between Thor and Malekith hopping between the realms as they align, and the others (Jane, Darcy and Selvig) striving to help with Selvig's invention.

The realms are nice, but they do feel a little limited and small; like big open lands with nothing more. We see five of them (sorry, no Alfheim, Hel, Muspelheim or Nidavellir), though I could be mistaken as I don't know where the Aether was hidden after the battle with Bor. We do see slight glimpses of them as they are aligning in the sky, but not enough to get a good idea of the environments. No mention or sights of any characters from those not seen either (no Surter, etc). I really had no problem with that as it would have been very ambitious and unnecessary for the plot at hand. Asgard is the real winner as it feels huge and unique. Taylor did a great job of bringing it to life.

In the end, the pacing of the film seems to fit it just fine, though I can see some thinking otherwise. The issue for this, at least in my eyes, is that what we do get to see and experience is so well done that it feels like a let down to not see any more of it. One thing is for sure; TDW is one Hel of a ride with great action, character interactions, scenery, appropriate/well placed comedy and above all is super entertaining. It easily ranks in my top 3 of the whole MCU (Avengers being #1, IM1 being #2, and this being #3 now, though it could bump up after another viewing) and left me wanting more, eager to see the next chapter. If you liked the first, you'll definitely like TDW.


As for the mid credits scene:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

We see Sif and Volstagg bringing an item to the Collector (played by Benecio del Toro) which turns out to be the red infinity gem (contained in a dark wooden box glowing red. When asked why they are doing so they say that it is too much to have two gems coupled with the Tesseract, and that it would be wise to split them up. After they leave, The Collector says "one down, five to go" to himself.

Now, I could be wrong and it could have been the Aether, but I'm sure that it was destroyed along with Malekith. In any case, one wonders if the real reason as to bringing the item to the Collector is due to Odin's (Loki's) orders, which is an interesting set up. The real joy here is del Toro's portrayal, which screamed like a mixture of Tim Curry/David Bowie eccentric-ness to me. The set and characters seen seem like a cross between Star Wars and the Fifth Element, so needless to say I'm quite excited for GotG even more so now.


As for the post credits scene:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We see Jane eating cereal in her flat, looking sad with Darcy and Selvig in tow, when we hear thunder and a loud noise. Thor has returned to earth to be with Jane, which is not obviously permanent, but more so a visit. After they embrace and kiss, we see the Jotunheim beast, who crossed over to earth through one of the realm portals, chasing some birds around the London background.


Initial viewing 8.5/10
great review. almost makes me wish I hadn't spoiled some of it. :P almost.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
laughed at your Kat Dennings comment. also cried.

So I gotta ask, (and I'm sure there's no hard evidence for you to comment on). But could there have been any "lasting effects" so to speak of Jane being bonded with the Aether?

Also where does the infinity gem(s) come from? Odin's vault or does it actually play a role in the movie?

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #142
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

just got back from seeing it.

i dunno guys, i thought it was pretty average. i enjoyed it the least out of all the MCU films so far D:

let me know if you want a review of sorts, plus i can answer any questions if you guys have any.

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #143
slumcat
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,784
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
just got back from seeing it.

i dunno guys, i thought it was pretty average. i enjoyed it the least out of all the MCU films so far D:

let me know if you want a review of sorts, plus i can answer any questions if you guys have any.
These!

1. What is the rough ratio of screentime of the 3 costumes Thor wears - sleeved, sleeveless and that blue shawl wrapped around him?
2. Does he EVER wear the helmet?
3. How long does he wear human clothes?
4. Does Loki have alternate costumes?

slumcat is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #144
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
These!

1. What is the rough ratio of screentime of the 3 costumes Thor wears - sleeved, sleeveless and that blue shawl wrapped around him?
2. Does he EVER wear the helmet?
3. How long does he wear human clothes?
4. Does Loki have alternate costumes?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


1) the blue shawl is in there a lot, because he wears it during the talking scenes on asgard. it definitely goes sleeves, shawl, then sleeveless in terms of screen time. maybe 40-35-25 if i had to hazard a specific ratio guess.

2) no

3) he never wears human clothes? was this rumored?

4) boy, you don't know the half of it... but the blunt and honest answer is no

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #145
First Avenger
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Asgard
Posts: 874
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

What didn't you Like and how would you rate it?

First Avenger is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #146
slumcat
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,784
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


1) the blue shawl is in there a lot, because he wears it during the talking scenes on asgard. it definitely goes sleeves, shawl, then sleeveless in terms of screen time. maybe 40-35-25 if i had to hazard a specific ratio guess.

2) no

3) he never wears human clothes? was this rumored?

4) boy, you don't know the half of it... but the blunt and honest answer is no
Doesn't he wear human clothes in the trailer itself?

slumcat is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #147
Moonwing
Side-Kick
 
Moonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post

3) he never wears human clothes? was this rumored?
This is really strange as in many magazines/calendars/trailers there are scenes with him in human clothes. Maybe in second after-credit scene or something? But considering 20+min was cut maybe those scenes were there. One scene where he is in Jane`s flat and the other one where they are kissing.

Moonwing is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #148
Moonwing
Side-Kick
 
Moonwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 556
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Doesn't he wear human clothes in the trailer itself?
One person, who have seen movie wrote that many things from trailers are not in movie she didn't point what things thought...

Moonwing is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #149
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers
 
Repulsor Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

it's hard to describe my gripes without spoiling the movie, but i found the story/premise/macguffin to be uninspired. the movie starts incredibly slow, and stays that way far longer than it should have. the exact same things gets explained to the audience more than once; which is unnecessary and tedious. also, what does get explained (the science behind the cataclysmic event that is the source of all the drama in the film), despite being told multiple times, is never elaborated on to a sufficient degree.

thor doesn't feel like the main character. his arc is weak.

odin comes across as a jerk for no apparent reason. i think there must have been stuff edited out, to tie in to Bor and his history with the dark elves. that's just a guess though.

natalie portman is boring. her character felt scientifically passionate and relatively intelligent in thor 1 compared to this film.

not enough sif :P

loki has brand new powers in this film - this is my biggest gripe, as it makes you question why he didnt use them in past movies - they would have been the biggest help imaginable!!!! anyway, they simply exist because the script demands them to. this is just not on in my eyes. it's bad story telling. his existing abilities should dictate the script, not the other way around. they are the proverbial "I win" button of this move.

also, the way these new powers are introduced (repeatedly) early in the film meant i expected them to pay off in significant ways later on. they do. the film has two big twists, and i guessed them both....

how the bifrost got repaired was never explained

the final battle detoured into humour a few too many times that it killed the tension. couple this with a slow moving and drawn out first act.............

i'd rate it a B- or C+

the movie lacked a sense of urgency and investment in the characters.

ps. if i were a thor fanboy, i'd be pretty disappointed with how depowered he comes across in this movie.

__________________
Looks like you're a born loooooooooooooooserrrrrrrr

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #150
Coolcat3
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyin View Post
Ok guys, here's my full on review. At this point, I'm tagging it as the cats out of the bag and embargo is lifted, so spoilers galore.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We start of with a brief history of the universe, more so the Dark Elves, and the battle with Bor. It's here where we learn Malekith's intentions: to return the universe to darkness and have his people reign again. Though he is defeated (for the moment), he sacrifices his people in order to escape and go into stasis until the time is right to return and continue his conquest.

I'll be honest here: Malekith is very stoic, very collected and focused and knows what he is going to do and will do whatever it takes to do it. Sure there isn't much back story (not that it's needed), nor any family ties (don't know where the word came from that he had a family and it was cut), but the main thing here is we see his dedication. He lets his entire race fall (save the people on his own ship) as he knows there is no achievable victory at the moment, and that their best chance is to retreat to return again when the time is right. Quite an intense thing to do IMO.

Even with this though, Malekith never really comes across as an intense threat, nor does the fact that the ENTIRE universe is at risk play out as anything worse than the invasion in The Avengers. Perhaps it could have been explored more, perhaps they could have shown some concern from races from the other realms, perhaps more run time would have helped...
This is my main gripe with the film, that the threat seems too easily resolved in the end, but it is also the only gripe I have with the film.

As for characters, Thor is more mature and level headed than before, even more so than Odin it seems. This is Thor's best outing so far in the MCU, and I've grown to like the character even more thanks to the film. He is in love with Jane, so no triangle with Sif, who he pretty much friendzones early on.

Jane is more tolerable this time around and is important as the Aether bonds to her when she accidentally stumbles across it as the realms begin to align and create "portals" to each other in certain locations. I consider Portman's performance the weakest link from the first film, but I have no issue with her here. It's more enjoyable for sure, but I am curious as to what conflicts Portman had when the original director was let go.

Hopkins as Odin is fantastic again, though he is worn now. Especially after
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Frigga is killed by Malekith,
He becomes shaken and it seems that his decisions aren't as wise due to it. He owns the role, and I'm super curious what will happen with him in the next outing...

Russo as Frigga is again a delight in the scenes she has, especially when she fights Malekith to stall him from getting Jane and the Aether,
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
pretty much giving her life for the greater good. Her funeral scene later on is emotional and very much reminded of the lantern scene from Tangled; quite beautiful.


Loki, Loki, Loki....There is no wrong Hiddleston can do. He is as delightfully devious as ever, though we do see some emotion from him after
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Frigga is killed as she truly cared for him, and he her. The mother-"son" bond was great.
His dialogue with everyone is great, including his quips with Thor and the Warriors Three/Sif. In the end, he sets up the cliffhanger as we learn that
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
he has done something to Odin and has replaced him as King using his magical impersonation skills.
There is more to say, but I'll let you all enjoy it for yourselves when the time comes.

Heimdall gets his moment to shine bringing down one of Malekith's ships single-handedly. He is a true bad ass and has some nice time with Thor.

Each of the Warrior's Three get a moment or two to shine, except for Hogun. He stays behind with his family at Thor's suggestion and isn't seen again after the battle on Vanaheim.

Sif, as mentioned, shows her interest in Thor, to which even Odin makes obvious to Thor, but is friendzoned by Thor.

Darcy has more scenes it seems, but I found them all hilarious and well placed. Dennings is covered up a lot though clothing wise

Selvig goes a little nuts, perhaps a result of the events from The Avengers, but is convinced that something bad is coming (the convergence of the realms) and is prepared to aid in the event with a device he makes. The most outlandish scenes involve him as he is parading around naked at Stone Hedge (I think) rambling about the event to come, and is again later pants-less at a meeting with Jane, Darcy and Thor. He is at one point put in a mental institution, lecturing about his findings and using shoes as his props, where
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
good ol' Stan the Man makes his cameo as a patient who just wants his shoe back.


Kurse is huge, strong and beats Thor like a trashed DBZ hero. Though the fight isn't long, it was better than the Destroyer. Kurse is utilized a few times and almost beats Thor until
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Loki "sacrifices" himself to end him.


The action is intense and well done. We get to see fighting, chases and lazers thanks to Asgardian and Dark Elf tech. All visually stunning and reminiscent of LotR meeting Star Wars. The end battle is cleverly done, involving the fight between Thor and Malekith hopping between the realms as they align, and the others (Jane, Darcy and Selvig) striving to help with Selvig's invention.

The realms are nice, but they do feel a little limited and small; like big open lands with nothing more. We see five of them (sorry, no Alfheim, Hel, Muspelheim or Nidavellir), though I could be mistaken as I don't know where the Aether was hidden after the battle with Bor. We do see slight glimpses of them as they are aligning in the sky, but not enough to get a good idea of the environments. No mention or sights of any characters from those not seen either (no Surter, etc). I really had no problem with that as it would have been very ambitious and unnecessary for the plot at hand. Asgard is the real winner as it feels huge and unique. Taylor did a great job of bringing it to life.

In the end, the pacing of the film seems to fit it just fine, though I can see some thinking otherwise. The issue for this, at least in my eyes, is that what we do get to see and experience is so well done that it feels like a let down to not see any more of it. One thing is for sure; TDW is one Hel of a ride with great action, character interactions, scenery, appropriate/well placed comedy and above all is super entertaining. It easily ranks in my top 3 of the whole MCU (Avengers being #1, IM1 being #2, and this being #3 now, though it could bump up after another viewing) and left me wanting more, eager to see the next chapter. If you liked the first, you'll definitely like TDW.


As for the mid credits scene:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

We see Sif and Volstagg bringing an item to the Collector (played by Benecio del Toro) which turns out to be the red infinity gem (contained in a dark wooden box glowing red. When asked why they are doing so they say that it is too much to have two gems coupled with the Tesseract, and that it would be wise to split them up. After they leave, The Collector says "one down, five to go" to himself.

Now, I could be wrong and it could have been the Aether, but I'm sure that it was destroyed along with Malekith. In any case, one wonders if the real reason as to bringing the item to the Collector is due to Odin's (Loki's) orders, which is an interesting set up. The real joy here is del Toro's portrayal, which screamed like a mixture of Tim Curry/David Bowie eccentric-ness to me. The set and characters seen seem like a cross between Star Wars and the Fifth Element, so needless to say I'm quite excited for GotG even more so now.


As for the post credits scene:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We see Jane eating cereal in her flat, looking sad with Darcy and Selvig in tow, when we hear thunder and a loud noise. Thor has returned to earth to be with Jane, which is not obviously permanent, but more so a visit. After they embrace and kiss, we see the Jotunheim beast, who crossed over to earth through one of the realm portals, chasing some birds around the London background.


Initial viewing 8.5/10

How were the two Main Elves Malekith and Algrim? Do any other elves stand out in that film? Did the film feature
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Algrim's transformation into Kurse?
And how was it? I am hoping that if it is in the film It will be an American Werewolf type change.

Coolcat3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.