Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Korra Bonita bonita bonita rear

Good episodes so far.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
Lord
All Mighty

^ The hell?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Looks whose back.......

Going through wiki, I wonder who would hunt all the lion turtles and kill them?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Looks whose back.......

Going through wiki, I wonder who would hunt all the lion turtles and kill them?
Probably the same people who would kill Dragons. Adventurers and "monster killers" out for fame and glory. Probably years after the Lion Turtles faded into obscurity and their legacy as Guardians of mankind of bygone era forgotten, man did what man does best. **** things up.

I mean the Firebenders considered the Dragons to be be the firebending masters, that didn't stop a number of them from hunting dragons into extinction for sport.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Korra needs to find that air turtle and get him to touch all the acolytes.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Lord
All Mighty

It's still shame that there's really no Dragon left, with air bisons being found again one would assume the same could happen with Dragons

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
Liam_H
Side-Kick

We know of at least two, not that hard to believe there could be more.

Spill

Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
I hesitate to label him as
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"Dark Avatar", since the spirits that Vaatu turned were acting on their impulses, rather than simply being outright evil. I do wonder where the twins fit into this scheme. What's interesting is that Korra's actions prior to this special mirrored those of the Vaatu-converted spirits.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Whatever you want to call him, the point is that he'd become the physical incarnation of Vaatu as the Avatar is of Rava. Rather than having their eternal conflict limited to every 10,000 years in the Spirit World, it would be perpetually waged in the physical world as each would be reincarnated into a new vessel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Korra needs to find that air turtle and get him to touch all the acolytes.
Even if it's alive, the Lion Turtles said they would no longer grant humans the power of bending. I don't think they'd make an exception for Air Benders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It's still shame that there's really no Dragon left, with air bisons being found again one would assume the same could happen with Dragons
Aang and Zuko likely kept the existence of the dragons a secret, I would assume they only told Iroh about their encounter with them. Maybe the comics touched on it.

With the Air Bisons, I wonder if she meant they were raising them since the start of the Hundred Year War or the end of it. I think the start would be more likely. Either some bisons escaped the genocide and ended up on the island where the Fire Sages were still loyal to the Avatar and raised them, the Fire Nation probably wouldn't think to look on some remote island of theirs. Or Fire Sages discovered a herd had migrated there from the genocide and started a temple there to protect them.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
Lord
All Mighty

Oh yeah, completelly forgot about those 2, i wonder if they're enough to maintain the species though

Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #35
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Even if it's alive, the Lion Turtles said they would no longer grant humans the power of bending. I don't think they'd make an exception for Air Benders.
Well that was before their gift had basically been extinct from the world. Though I doubt anyone would go out seeking an air Lion Turtle nowadays.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I think doing that (giving back Airbending) would ruin a little bit of the mythology of the world. Even with three (possibly four) of Tenzin's kids having Airbending its not a sure thing that the population will be reborn in a good amount of time. It keeps the drama going for a possible new series after Korra.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Just watched the new episodes and I can't help but think that it would've been better and a smarter decision if the creators had made Vaatu defeat Raava in Wan's origin story. The reasons for it are as follows:

1. It adds more nuance and depth to the Avatar . It would be kinda cool if the entire Avatar legacy essentially boils down to a young boy's sheer determination to uphold a promise he made ten thousand years ago. Instead, the show's current take has the Avatar embark on a new life's mission after defeating Vaatu, that we neither see nor have any attachment to.
  2. Raava's victory over Vaatu gives a rather pessimistic tinge to the Avatar world since in spite of light and good supposedly reigning supreme and the forces of darkness and chaos locked away, really bad things - like the 100 year war and genocide - still happen. Had it been the other way, it would have given the setting a more optimistic view with little rays of hope and the message that good things can still happen if we try hard enough.
  3. Raava's victory cheapens all the past victories we see on the show - both, Aang's and Korra's - by having it seem like foregone conclusions instead of destiny-defying moments in history.
  4. It would have raised one of the main themes of the original series; which is that it is okay to fail or make mistakes so long as we keep on trying. You can't hit that message any harder than having a guy who hasn't given up trying to undo a mistake from ten thousand years ago.
  5. It raises the stakes as defeating Vaatu now would change the course of destiny and bring about a new age. By having Vaatu already defeated the first time, the battle and its outcome would simply be something we and their world have already seen before, and is just to maintain the status quo. Moreover, as has been established, defeating Vaatu seems meaningless since chaos and evil still exists in the world and bad things happen.
  6. It opens up interesting story opportunities after Korra's inevitable defeat of Vaatu (you know that's going to happen) in the form of raising the question whether there's still a need for the Avatar in this new era of light and peace.

Wow. Long rant. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

On a separate note:

What are people's thoughts on the show's retcon of how the different nations learned bending? Personally, I think it's fine as I always saw the explanations given in the original cartoon as folkloric origin stories. And much akin to our own cultures, they're pretty much romanticised stories to explain things that we've simply forgotten about from our histories that probably had much more mundane origins. For instance, the story of how Romulus and Remus founded Rome.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 10-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
Victarion
Cut

I didn't mind; stuff gets changed from generation to generation. Details lost, new ones made up to fill in those gaps.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #39
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Just watched the new episodes and I can't help but think that it would've been better and a smarter decision if the creators had made Vaatu defeat Raava in Wan's origin story. The reasons for it are as follows:

1. It adds more nuance and depth to the Avatar . It would be kinda cool if the entire Avatar legacy essentially boils down to a young boy's sheer determination to uphold a promise he made ten thousand years ago. Instead, the show's current take has the Avatar embark on a new life's mission after defeating Vaatu, that we neither see nor have any attachment to.
  2. Raava's victory over Vaatu gives a rather pessimistic tinge to the Avatar world since in spite of light and good supposedly reigning supreme and the forces of darkness and chaos locked away, really bad things - like the 100 year war and genocide - still happen. Had it been the other way, it would have given the setting a more optimistic view with little rays of hope and the message that good things can still happen if we try hard enough.
  3. Raava's victory cheapens all the past victories we see on the show - both, Aang's and Korra's - by having it seem like foregone conclusions instead of destiny-defying moments in history.
  4. It would have raised one of the main themes of the original series; which is that it is okay to fail or make mistakes so long as we keep on trying. You can't hit that message any harder than having a guy who hasn't given up trying to undo a mistake from ten thousand years ago.
  5. It raises the stakes as defeating Vaatu now would change the course of destiny and bring about a new age. By having Vaatu already defeated the first time, the battle and its outcome would simply be something we and their world have already seen before, and is just to maintain the status quo. Moreover, as has been established, defeating Vaatu seems meaningless since chaos and evil still exists in the world and bad things happen.
  6. It opens up interesting story opportunities after Korra's inevitable defeat of Vaatu (you know that's going to happen) in the form of raising the question whether there's still a need for the Avatar in this new era of light and peace.
Wow. Long rant. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

On a separate note:

What are people's thoughts on the show's retcon of how the different nations learned bending? Personally, I think it's fine as I always saw the explanations given in the original cartoon as folkloric origin stories. And much akin to our own cultures, they're pretty much romanticised stories to explain things that we've simply forgotten about from our histories that probably had much more mundane origins. For instance, the story of how Romulus and Remus founded Rome.
Agreed. I don't see it as a retcon much more as just a forgotten history with threads of overlapping. We have it in the real world just as much like the theory of the Greco-Hindu-Persian religion that apparently most religions sprang out from. Concepts like Jinn in Islam or the War in Heaven in Christianity predated their respective religions. There's lots of overlap between Buddhism and Hinduism...etc etc...I think what we know in the modern world is the equivalent of what the people in the Avatarverse know in theirs.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I like that they incorporate the dragon into the origin or fire bending as we know it. I would have liked if they had shown Wan training with the ocean and moon spirits. The Omashu story would have been nice to see but that could be explained away as being the embellished heavily into legend not the TRUE origin of earth bending.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #41
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Didn't Raava say it herself that at some point Vaatu would eventually be borne out of her and vice-versa? I guess it harkens to what Unalaq said earlier about how there are no "evil" Spirits and how there is Light and Darkness in them both. Maybe as the Harmonic Convergence draws closer (and who knows how close is close by Spirit reckoning) Vaatu's influence over the world grew stronger, maybe because of the Avatar's absence during the Hundred Years War.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I like that they incorporate the dragon into the origin or fire bending as we know it.
Indeed. I thought it was a nice touch by the creators to pay homage to the original series by featuring the dragon dance.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
There is no retcon.

The people might have gotten their matter control from the turtles, but they learned their bending from the animals that do it naturally (and the moon, of course). Just like how Wan learned his mastery of fire from the dragons themselves. The rest of the humans can only throw the fire around.

This is why Toph was one of the best Earth-benders on the planet, despite her age. She learned directly from the Badgermoles instead of established bending teachings. The Badgermoles didn't give her the ability, but gave her her mastery over it.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

sandwraith: we do know when it is, the lady says its in a few weeks. That's why they gave Korra the air bison so she could hurry.

Yeah I don't know how this is going to end but I do hope its definitive. I DON'T want a cliffhanger ending, not for this story.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #45
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post

Very true... but that was how many generations ago? He/She could have a change of heart.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #46
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
sandwraith: we do know when it is, the lady says its in a few weeks. That's why they gave Korra the air bison so she could hurry.

Yeah I don't know how this is going to end but I do hope its definitive. I DON'T want a cliffhanger ending, not for this story.

Oh I caught that part, its just I was wondering what passes for "drawing closer" for entities who live beyond tens of thousands of years. What I was hinting at was that maybe Vaatu's influence grew stronger all thorughout Aang's absence in the 100 year war. Maybe for the Spirits, a 100 years is akin to a week by their reckoning...its all very loose-goose thoerizing on my part.

At least we do know that the Dark Spirits were already showing up before Korra opened the Southern Spirit Portal. So it begs the question is Vaatu already free? Or despite his captivity he grew stronger thanks to the absence of the Avatar in the said time-period.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #47
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
There is no retcon.

The people might have gotten their matter control from the turtles, but they learned their bending from the animals that do it naturally (and the moon, of course). Just like how Wan learned his mastery of fire from the dragons themselves. The rest of the humans can only throw the fire around.

This is why Toph was one of the best Earth-benders on the planet, despite her age. She learned directly from the Badgermoles instead of established bending teachings. The Badgermoles didn't give her the ability, but gave her her mastery over it.
^This.

It's like someone just giving some random person a katana. That person can swing that blade as many times as they want. However, until they can truly master the art and wield it as an extension of themselves, it's just a long piece of metal in their hands.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #48
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I never saw the lion turtle thing as a retcon, cuz after Wan became avatar no one else could use bending so they had to relearn it in the way it is described in Atla.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #49
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #50
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

part of me would like to think the old woman living with the fire sages and who helped Korra was Azula after having found peace.

But any way that was a amazing two episodes. some of the best of any Avatar series. Got some nice origins of the Avatar as well as the lion turtles which I have always wanted to learn more about

Closed Thread