The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
KingMadness
Side-Kick
 
KingMadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 567
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Korra Bonita bonita bonita rear


Good episodes so far.

__________________
Giants~Yankees~Knicks
</crude>AVATAR KORRA GOT A FATTY</crude>

KingMadness is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #27
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,821
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

^ The hell?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now  
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10,387
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Looks whose back.......

Going through wiki, I wonder who would hunt all the lion turtles and kill them?

Primal Slayer is online now  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens
 
sandwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
Looks whose back.......

Going through wiki, I wonder who would hunt all the lion turtles and kill them?
Probably the same people who would kill Dragons. Adventurers and "monster killers" out for fame and glory. Probably years after the Lion Turtles faded into obscurity and their legacy as Guardians of mankind of bygone era forgotten, man did what man does best. **** things up.

I mean the Firebenders considered the Dragons to be be the firebending masters, that didn't stop a number of them from hunting dragons into extinction for sport.

__________________
You're never finished with me...
sandwraith is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,949
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Korra needs to find that air turtle and get him to touch all the acolytes.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,821
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

It's still shame that there's really no Dragon left, with air bisons being found again one would assume the same could happen with Dragons

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

We know of at least two, not that hard to believe there could be more.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #33
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury
 
Spidey-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sudden Valley
Posts: 39,115
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victarion View Post
I hesitate to label him as
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"Dark Avatar", since the spirits that Vaatu turned were acting on their impulses, rather than simply being outright evil. I do wonder where the twins fit into this scheme. What's interesting is that Korra's actions prior to this special mirrored those of the Vaatu-converted spirits.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Whatever you want to call him, the point is that he'd become the physical incarnation of Vaatu as the Avatar is of Rava. Rather than having their eternal conflict limited to every 10,000 years in the Spirit World, it would be perpetually waged in the physical world as each would be reincarnated into a new vessel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
Korra needs to find that air turtle and get him to touch all the acolytes.
Even if it's alive, the Lion Turtles said they would no longer grant humans the power of bending. I don't think they'd make an exception for Air Benders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It's still shame that there's really no Dragon left, with air bisons being found again one would assume the same could happen with Dragons
Aang and Zuko likely kept the existence of the dragons a secret, I would assume they only told Iroh about their encounter with them. Maybe the comics touched on it.

With the Air Bisons, I wonder if she meant they were raising them since the start of the Hundred Year War or the end of it. I think the start would be more likely. Either some bisons escaped the genocide and ended up on the island where the Fire Sages were still loyal to the Avatar and raised them, the Fire Nation probably wouldn't think to look on some remote island of theirs. Or Fire Sages discovered a herd had migrated there from the genocide and started a temple there to protect them.

Spidey-Bat is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #34
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,821
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Oh yeah, completelly forgot about those 2, i wonder if they're enough to maintain the species though

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now  
Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #35
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights
 
Primal Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10,387
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Even if it's alive, the Lion Turtles said they would no longer grant humans the power of bending. I don't think they'd make an exception for Air Benders.
Well that was before their gift had basically been extinct from the world. Though I doubt anyone would go out seeking an air Lion Turtle nowadays.

Primal Slayer is online now  
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #36
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic
 
BlackMagicWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,604
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

I think doing that (giving back Airbending) would ruin a little bit of the mythology of the world. Even with three (possibly four) of Tenzin's kids having Airbending its not a sure thing that the population will be reborn in a good amount of time. It keeps the drama going for a possible new series after Korra.

__________________
A dream of mine has come true, I wrote a comic called Guardians, and it's available for purchase. And the prologue issue is FREE!

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,915
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Just watched the new episodes and I can't help but think that it would've been better and a smarter decision if the creators had made Vaatu defeat Raava in Wan's origin story. The reasons for it are as follows:

  1. It adds more nuance and depth to the Avatar . It would be kinda cool if the entire Avatar legacy essentially boils down to a young boy's sheer determination to uphold a promise he made ten thousand years ago. Instead, the show's current take has the Avatar embark on a new life's mission after defeating Vaatu, that we neither see nor have any attachment to.
  2. Raava's victory over Vaatu gives a rather pessimistic tinge to the Avatar world since in spite of light and good supposedly reigning supreme and the forces of darkness and chaos locked away, really bad things - like the 100 year war and genocide - still happen. Had it been the other way, it would have given the setting a more optimistic view with little rays of hope and the message that good things can still happen if we try hard enough.
  3. Raava's victory cheapens all the past victories we see on the show - both, Aang's and Korra's - by having it seem like foregone conclusions instead of destiny-defying moments in history.
  4. It would have raised one of the main themes of the original series; which is that it is okay to fail or make mistakes so long as we keep on trying. You can't hit that message any harder than having a guy who hasn't given up trying to undo a mistake from ten thousand years ago.
  5. It raises the stakes as defeating Vaatu now would change the course of destiny and bring about a new age. By having Vaatu already defeated the first time, the battle and its outcome would simply be something we and their world have already seen before, and is just to maintain the status quo. Moreover, as has been established, defeating Vaatu seems meaningless since chaos and evil still exists in the world and bad things happen.
  6. It opens up interesting story opportunities after Korra's inevitable defeat of Vaatu (you know that's going to happen) in the form of raising the question whether there's still a need for the Avatar in this new era of light and peace.

Wow. Long rant. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?


On a separate note:

What are people's thoughts on the show's retcon of how the different nations learned bending? Personally, I think it's fine as I always saw the explanations given in the original cartoon as folkloric origin stories. And much akin to our own cultures, they're pretty much romanticised stories to explain things that we've simply forgotten about from our histories that probably had much more mundane origins. For instance, the story of how Romulus and Remus founded Rome.


Last edited by mr. peasant; 10-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
mr. peasant is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
Victarion
Cut
 
Victarion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,005
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

I didn't mind; stuff gets changed from generation to generation. Details lost, new ones made up to fill in those gaps.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Trevorrow
But with all this talk of filmmakers “ruining our childhood”, we forget that right now is someone else’s childhood. This is their time.
Victarion is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #39
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens
 
sandwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Just watched the new episodes and I can't help but think that it would've been better and a smarter decision if the creators had made Vaatu defeat Raava in Wan's origin story. The reasons for it are as follows:

  1. It adds more nuance and depth to the Avatar . It would be kinda cool if the entire Avatar legacy essentially boils down to a young boy's sheer determination to uphold a promise he made ten thousand years ago. Instead, the show's current take has the Avatar embark on a new life's mission after defeating Vaatu, that we neither see nor have any attachment to.
  2. Raava's victory over Vaatu gives a rather pessimistic tinge to the Avatar world since in spite of light and good supposedly reigning supreme and the forces of darkness and chaos locked away, really bad things - like the 100 year war and genocide - still happen. Had it been the other way, it would have given the setting a more optimistic view with little rays of hope and the message that good things can still happen if we try hard enough.
  3. Raava's victory cheapens all the past victories we see on the show - both, Aang's and Korra's - by having it seem like foregone conclusions instead of destiny-defying moments in history.
  4. It would have raised one of the main themes of the original series; which is that it is okay to fail or make mistakes so long as we keep on trying. You can't hit that message any harder than having a guy who hasn't given up trying to undo a mistake from ten thousand years ago.
  5. It raises the stakes as defeating Vaatu now would change the course of destiny and bring about a new age. By having Vaatu already defeated the first time, the battle and its outcome would simply be something we and their world have already seen before, and is just to maintain the status quo. Moreover, as has been established, defeating Vaatu seems meaningless since chaos and evil still exists in the world and bad things happen.
  6. It opens up interesting story opportunities after Korra's inevitable defeat of Vaatu (you know that's going to happen) in the form of raising the question whether there's still a need for the Avatar in this new era of light and peace.
Wow. Long rant. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?


On a separate note:

What are people's thoughts on the show's retcon of how the different nations learned bending? Personally, I think it's fine as I always saw the explanations given in the original cartoon as folkloric origin stories. And much akin to our own cultures, they're pretty much romanticised stories to explain things that we've simply forgotten about from our histories that probably had much more mundane origins. For instance, the story of how Romulus and Remus founded Rome.
Agreed. I don't see it as a retcon much more as just a forgotten history with threads of overlapping. We have it in the real world just as much like the theory of the Greco-Hindu-Persian religion that apparently most religions sprang out from. Concepts like Jinn in Islam or the War in Heaven in Christianity predated their respective religions. There's lots of overlap between Buddhism and Hinduism...etc etc...I think what we know in the modern world is the equivalent of what the people in the Avatarverse know in theirs.

__________________
You're never finished with me...
sandwraith is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
 
DarkSovereignty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shatterdome
Posts: 13,300
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

I like that they incorporate the dragon into the origin or fire bending as we know it. I would have liked if they had shown Wan training with the ocean and moon spirits. The Omashu story would have been nice to see but that could be explained away as being the embellished heavily into legend not the TRUE origin of earth bending.

__________________
http://dapperfowl.wordpress.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is online now  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #41
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens
 
sandwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Didn't Raava say it herself that at some point Vaatu would eventually be borne out of her and vice-versa? I guess it harkens to what Unalaq said earlier about how there are no "evil" Spirits and how there is Light and Darkness in them both. Maybe as the Harmonic Convergence draws closer (and who knows how close is close by Spirit reckoning) Vaatu's influence over the world grew stronger, maybe because of the Avatar's absence during the Hundred Years War.

__________________
You're never finished with me...
sandwraith is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,915
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I like that they incorporate the dragon into the origin or fire bending as we know it.
Indeed. I thought it was a nice touch by the creators to pay homage to the original series by featuring the dragon dance.

mr. peasant is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
carrrnuttt
Side-Kick
 
carrrnuttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,538
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
What are people's thoughts on the show's retcon of how the different nations learned bending? Personally, I think it's fine as I always saw the explanations given in the original cartoon as folkloric origin stories. And much akin to our own cultures, they're pretty much romanticised stories to explain things that we've simply forgotten about from our histories that probably had much more mundane origins. For instance, the story of how Romulus and Remus founded Rome.
There is no retcon.

The people might have gotten their matter control from the turtles, but they learned their bending from the animals that do it naturally (and the moon, of course). Just like how Wan learned his mastery of fire from the dragons themselves. The rest of the humans can only throw the fire around.

This is why Toph was one of the best Earth-benders on the planet, despite her age. She learned directly from the Badgermoles instead of established bending teachings. The Badgermoles didn't give her the ability, but gave her her mastery over it.

__________________
"Fiona is NOT my past."
carrrnuttt is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic
 
BlackMagicWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,604
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

sandwraith: we do know when it is, the lady says its in a few weeks. That's why they gave Korra the air bison so she could hurry.

Yeah I don't know how this is going to end but I do hope its definitive. I DON'T want a cliffhanger ending, not for this story.

__________________
A dream of mine has come true, I wrote a comic called Guardians, and it's available for purchase. And the prologue issue is FREE!

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #45
Tanin
Tsukino Usagi
 
Tanin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 4,949
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post

Even if it's alive, the Lion Turtles said they would no longer grant humans the power of bending. I don't think they'd make an exception for Air Benders.
Very true... but that was how many generations ago? He/She could have a change of heart.

__________________
The Shredder? Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw.
A good death is its own reward
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!
Tanin is offline  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #46
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens
 
sandwraith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
sandwraith: we do know when it is, the lady says its in a few weeks. That's why they gave Korra the air bison so she could hurry.

Yeah I don't know how this is going to end but I do hope its definitive. I DON'T want a cliffhanger ending, not for this story.

Oh I caught that part, its just I was wondering what passes for "drawing closer" for entities who live beyond tens of thousands of years. What I was hinting at was that maybe Vaatu's influence grew stronger all thorughout Aang's absence in the 100 year war. Maybe for the Spirits, a 100 years is akin to a week by their reckoning...its all very loose-goose thoerizing on my part.

At least we do know that the Dark Spirits were already showing up before Korra opened the Southern Spirit Portal. So it begs the question is Vaatu already free? Or despite his captivity he grew stronger thanks to the absence of the Avatar in the said time-period.

__________________
You're never finished with me...
sandwraith is offline  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #47
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!
 
TheWiseGuy487's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,555
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
There is no retcon.

The people might have gotten their matter control from the turtles, but they learned their bending from the animals that do it naturally (and the moon, of course). Just like how Wan learned his mastery of fire from the dragons themselves. The rest of the humans can only throw the fire around.

This is why Toph was one of the best Earth-benders on the planet, despite her age. She learned directly from the Badgermoles instead of established bending teachings. The Badgermoles didn't give her the ability, but gave her her mastery over it.
^This.

It's like someone just giving some random person a katana. That person can swing that blade as many times as they want. However, until they can truly master the art and wield it as an extension of themselves, it's just a long piece of metal in their hands.

__________________
You wanted to be the hero. Now you gotta pay the price.

5-.-2-.-14
_______________________

TheWiseGuy487 is offline  
Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #48
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,257
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

I never saw the lion turtle thing as a retcon, cuz after Wan became avatar no one else could use bending so they had to relearn it in the way it is described in Atla.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline  
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #49
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,261
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Spielberg wanted to ground the myth of Lincoln in reality. "I wanted to say, what if this guy actually existed? What would it be like?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline  
Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #50
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick
 
Doomed_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Camelot
Posts: 8,885
Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

part of me would like to think the old woman living with the fire sages and who helped Korra was Azula after having found peace.

But any way that was a amazing two episodes. some of the best of any Avatar series. Got some nice origins of the Avatar as well as the lion turtles which I have always wanted to learn more about

__________________
Luke: Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
The Emperor: So be it... Jedi.
Doomed_hero is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.