The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #51
Side-Kick

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Just watched the new episodes and I can't help but think that it would've been better and a smarter decision if the creators had made Vaatu defeat Raava in Wan's origin story. The reasons for it are as follows:

1. It adds more nuance and depth to the Avatar . It would be kinda cool if the entire Avatar legacy essentially boils down to a young boy's sheer determination to uphold a promise he made ten thousand years ago. Instead, the show's current take has the Avatar embark on a new life's mission after defeating Vaatu, that we neither see nor have any attachment to.
  2. Raava's victory over Vaatu gives a rather pessimistic tinge to the Avatar world since in spite of light and good supposedly reigning supreme and the forces of darkness and chaos locked away, really bad things - like the 100 year war and genocide - still happen. Had it been the other way, it would have given the setting a more optimistic view with little rays of hope and the message that good things can still happen if we try hard enough.
  3. Raava's victory cheapens all the past victories we see on the show - both, Aang's and Korra's - by having it seem like foregone conclusions instead of destiny-defying moments in history.
  4. It would have raised one of the main themes of the original series; which is that it is okay to fail or make mistakes so long as we keep on trying. You can't hit that message any harder than having a guy who hasn't given up trying to undo a mistake from ten thousand years ago.
  5. It raises the stakes as defeating Vaatu now would change the course of destiny and bring about a new age. By having Vaatu already defeated the first time, the battle and its outcome would simply be something we and their world have already seen before, and is just to maintain the status quo. Moreover, as has been established, defeating Vaatu seems meaningless since chaos and evil still exists in the world and bad things happen.
  6. It opens up interesting story opportunities after Korra's inevitable defeat of Vaatu (you know that's going to happen) in the form of raising the question whether there's still a need for the Avatar in this new era of light and peace.
Wow. Long rant. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

On a separate note:

What are people's thoughts on the show's retcon of how the different nations learned bending? Personally, I think it's fine as I always saw the explanations given in the original cartoon as folkloric origin stories. And much akin to our own cultures, they're pretty much romanticised stories to explain things that we've simply forgotten about from our histories that probably had much more mundane origins. For instance, the story of how Romulus and Remus founded Rome.

While I think having Vatuu win the battle would have been interesting, the way in which Avatar was set-up/depicted he could not win. Vatuu's plan would have been to simply annihilate all things. Wan ultimately released chaos into the world regardless of the fact that Vatuu was imprisoned. Once you have opened Pandoras box its not so easy to close. The avatar at this point has been around for 10,000 years still trying to rid the world of the chaos 'wan' was responsible for releasing. The end scene depicts the above perfectly as Wan is upset that he was unable to rectify his mistakes and Rava reassures him she ill be with him for all lifetimes.

Avatar Roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #52
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

Watched the Wan episodes again, eh it was ok. Korra was barely in it, that alone made it worth watching. The Last Airbender music also made an appearance, which makes it pretty cool.

I remember that my brother and I made a joke about the lion turtle being there, just so it wouldn't make season 3's finale of TLAB look stupid :P

TheLastBlade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #53
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Were there lion turtles in A:TLAB?

I thought Vaatu would've just encouraged the world's inhabitants to give into their indulgences, thus breeding a state of entropy(sort of how it had that hyena-spirit and the others go berserk defending themselves against the humans)? Not outright destroying everything in a mustache-twirling act of villainy.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #54
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

It did, but it only appeared for a few minutes.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #55
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

So I have watched the episodes 3 times now. Thoughts.

1. I accept craigdbfan's apology for ever comparing Pierrot to Mir in a favorable light.

2. I accept sandwraith's apology for believing that the Avatar was not of a spiritual nature and thus Korra has been doing it wrong.

3. I loved idea, I loved the story, I loved Wan, I loved the the designs.

4. The final battle might be the best we have seen in Avatar. Right up there with Aang vs. Ozai and the final Agni Kai. Truly impressive.

5. The art style was something else. The way the elements were portrayed was simply brilliant. They even pulled a Nimbus.

6. I really, really, really wished they had at least one more episode. The time constraints forced a lot of truncated dialogue and development. Lessened the impact of many of the ideas and scenes, but not the story overall.

7. Someone needs to make a good Wan figure, because I am buying.

Overall one of my favorite Avatar stories and the probably the first Korra episodes to break into my top 10. Now lets hope the rest of the season doesn't revert back.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #56
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

They just need to make an entire 3-4 season Avatar series chronicling Wan's journey from street urchin to his last breath as the Avatar. Just fill in the gaps of what we didn't see in that undisclosed period of time. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if they re-used scenes from the last two episodes.

Seriously, Mike and Bryan. Once you finish with this series, seize this golden opportunity which has given to you and make something truly magical out of it. I swear it would sell like hotcakes.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #57
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

As much as I want to see Korra die.... That would be utterly pointless.

If there's one type of prequel I hate, it'd be ones that are filler and tells the audience stuff people already know.

There are exceptions, but come on, the two-parter already told the audience what they needed to know about Wan. Making a season or two about Wan traveling would just be boring.

I mean, just look at video games like God of War. A waste of everyone's time.

Last edited by TheLastBlade; 10-24-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #58
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I'd like to see a series about the second Avatar. Wan took on the role of being the Avatar, it'd be interesting to see the first person born into it.

Spidey-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #59
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

That would still be an unnecessary prequel.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #60
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

How would it be unnecessary? There'd be a lot for them to explore. What would constitute a prequel being necessary?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #61
Victarion
The Iron Captain

I don't see where TLB is coming from, either. I guess Korra's left him jaded?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #62
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

....What? Going backwards would serve NOTHING. What is there to explore? Avatar the Last Airbender already talked about the history of the Avatars and Legend of Korra is currently doing the history of spirits. It would be a massive waste of time just to go learn about unimportant Avatars.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #63
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastBlade View Post
....What? Going backwards would serve NOTHING. What is there to explore? Avatar the Last Airbender already talked about the history of the Avatars and Legend of Korra is currently doing the history of spirits. It would be a massive waste of time just to go learn about unimportant Avatars.
It would serve to give us a greater understanding of Wan's tragedy. Seeing the success, failures, and sacrifices leading to the end of his time as the Avatar. It would serve the character, which is the first priority of any story.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #64
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Do you seriously think there are no interesting stories they could tell that occurred during the 9000+ years between Wan and Roku?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #65
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

So serving the character is to make filler? The two parter already explained on what was needed for Wan. Making more episodes after that would be like Naruto making an entire filler season talking about what happened before Sasuke left. Wan already served his purpose. We know how he became the Avatar, we saw what sort of journey he went through, and we saw his conclusion. There is nothing to work with. Making filler just to see him do "stuff" is just dumb.

.....NO. Do we seriously need to know what happened with the past Avatars. Especially what happened after Wan and Aang? Hell, everyone knows what happened with Roku.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #66
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

so there's no new ep this week?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #67
Victarion
The Iron Captain

I didn't see one.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #68
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
So serving the character is to make filler? The two parter already explained on what was needed for Wan. Making more episodes after that would be like Naruto making an entire filler season talking about what happened before Sasuke left. Wan already served his purpose. We know how he became the Avatar, we saw what sort of journey he went through, and we saw his conclusion. There is nothing to work with. Making filler just to see him do "stuff" is just dumb.

.....NO. Do we seriously need to know what happened with the past Avatars. Especially what happened after Wan and Aang? Hell, everyone knows what happened with Roku.
It's not filler if you use the characters to drive the plot.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #69
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

.....WHAT PLOT?! The two parter told us EVERYTHING we needed to know. The only thing Wan is good for now is to tell people on what to do.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #70
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

The new episode is next week. At 8:00pm on Friday. Guess that's the new new new time slot.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #71
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
.....WHAT PLOT?! The two parter told us EVERYTHING we needed to know. The only thing Wan is good for now is to tell people on what to do.
Whatever relationships, encounters, scheming etc got Wan to that last battle when the flashback ended. That's to say nothing of the moral quandaries, challenges etc Wan encountered along the way. That plot. I can't grasp your tunnel vision when it comes to the possibilities in Wan's development.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #72
TheLastBlade
Side-Kick

Well, considering we already saw the two parter, there's truly no reason to see a whole filler season just for that. Oh man, I totally want to see what he was up to in the 100-year war. I'm really curious to know what was so important to warrant a season just for that.

Besides, the two parter did pretty much everything. He bonded with humans and spirits, he had to deal with the failure of not saving his human friends, he had to work hard to learn every bending, it showed that he was fun spirited while also showing human fear, when he failed to stop the war it carried over even to his death. Pretty much everything.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #73
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Well this little break has allowed me to come in here again finally. I am caught up and... Wow. Just wow. This show makes me so happy, so consistently. Zod bless the creators for doing a show that is both appealing to me as a westerner, but takes it's eastern influences so seriously.

The Legend Of Wan, that we saw was both exciting, inspirational, heartbreaking and sad in a way. In other words it attempted to encompass a holistic view of life. Very eastern. I enjoyed the storybook quality that they gave the backgrounds and the choices of all the characters voice actors was spot on. My guess is that Korra's uncle found the spirit of darkness in the tree at some point in the past before she was born. Thus, there was no Avatar (novice or fully realized) to be present to stop Vatuu from escaping/scheming in the physical world. This is why he tricked Korra's father in the first place. I am very much an American/Westener in my thoughts. I cannot help it. But anytime I see something that gives a different point of view on life in general I am interested. Much of the cyclical nature of the universe is seen in this series. Moore's Battle Star Galactica's theme of "This has all happened before and it will all happen again" is certainly present and very in line with eastern thought.

As for what I see as a constant drum beat from posters about Korra being either unlikeable, unreasonable, stubborn or the like, I say: BRAVO! In a show about the balance, in all things of this universe, it's nice to see the admittance that those aspects of humanity are in our hero/protagonist. It's certainly a more complex and nuanced way of doing things. And is not a more complex, and truer to life portrayal of characters in animation something that fans often ask for? For myself, in relation to all characters, I think it's working. I often marvel that I am engaged in this show as I would be for any quality live action show.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #74
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:

We don't know everything about the past. For example, we don't know how the four nations developed from isolated Lion Turtle cities. We don't know about the first Fire Lord or Earth King, we still don't know a great deal about Air Nomad culture. To say anything that took place in the ~9800 years between Wan and Roku is pointless because we "know everything" is stupid. Each Avatar provides an opportunity for a unique story about their life and how they took their place in the world.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #75
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

No story is necessary. So a well done tale of Wan or other past Avatars would be great, as long as they are well done.

But I am also one of those that believes certain things are better left to the imagination. Demystifying is a very real possibility.