The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #51
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

Default Re: Is General Swanwick Martian Manhunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
I actually quite like this idea. Lennix is of course well suited to the role of MM. As for why he didn't help? That would be for the writers to answer. Could be he has been living so long as a human he's repressed his Martian self, or maybe Cadmus was aware of him and found a way to suppress his abilities. If they go this route, I'm sure there are a number of ways to do so.
interesting

Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #52
mclay18
Side-Kick

That's a pretty silly question.

Lennix would be a great MM, but his character isn't an alien. Retconning that to make him MM would be hard to swallow.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #53
John-An

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isearch4dope View Post
That's the underlying reason I believe he was being such an unnecessary d*** to Superman because he was covering his own a**. IMO I think it is a given that aside from Batman....Aquaman, MM (lennix), Wonder Woman and maybe Flash are already present but as you said Superman's presence will push them to come out of hiding. Maybe one or two of them have already met Batman

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
John-An

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
That's a pretty silly question.

Lennix would be a great MM, but his character isn't an alien. Retconning that to make him MM would be hard to swallow.
MM could be anyone in disguise mode..

Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #55
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Because he needed to maintain his persona as the general for the military as they needed him and that this was Kal-El's fight.
Superman: Why didn't you help me fight the other Kryptonians?

Martian Manhunter: Because it was your fight, not mine.

Superman: They killed ten thousand people!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #56
John-An

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post

Cadmus was aware of him and found a way to suppress his abilities.My thinking on this issue a few months back is that he may have some amnesia. He is the Martian Manhunter, but he doesn't know what his backstory is, or what he can do.
If one of this movie's themes is about Superman inspiring others to come out of hiding, I think MMH is the perfect guy to represent that -- The guy who's in charge of keeping 'the alien' under control turns out to be an alien himself, scared about what would happen if he revealed himself.
He could have been detective John Jones back in the 1960's, though he later decides to take another identity, among several other identities over the years.

from pals discussing here...

Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #57
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan of Steel View Post
Cadmus was aware of him and found a way to suppress his abilities.My thinking on this issue a few months back is that he may have some amnesia. He is the Martian Manhunter, but he doesn't know what his backstory is, or what he can do.
If one of this movie's themes is about Superman inspiring others to come out of hiding, I think MMH is the perfect guy to represent that -- The guy who's in charge of keeping 'the alien' under control turns out to be an alien himself, scared about what would happen if he revealed himself.
He could have been detective John Jones back in the 1960's, though he later decides to take another identity, among several other identities over the years.

from pals discussing here...
That's way to complicated and contrived to be good writing.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #58
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

I think that it would be exciting to see Stanwick turn out to be J'onn, but I can't think of a way that it could be pulled off without hurting his story. There would have to be a lot of backtracking to cover up him not helping Superman.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #59
Rorschach2012
$

General J'wonnwick was too busy eating oreos during the invasion to help.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #60
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

That's the thing. As neat as a revelation like that would be, I don't think that the ends justify the means. There seem to be too many hoops to jump through.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #61
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
That's the thing. As neat as a revelation like that would be, I don't think that the ends justify the means. There seem to be too many hoops to jump through.
Don't think that would be a hard thing to do but I guess we'll see.....on another note...what happened to Dev-Em? (guessing he's the one that survived the crash) and why hasn't he showed himself as yet or has he?

Isearch4dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #62
Rorschach2012
$

Lol.. I like your username ^

People, you need to get more open minded. The writers could EASILY find a way to write Swanwick as MM, it's futile for us to come up with explanations, but I'm positive that if the plan was for Swanwick to be MM, that they've already got an idea of what he was doing during the invasion.

Swanwick could have read Clark or Zod's mind, and realized that the battle was very personal for Clark and Zod. Instead of facing Zod head on, J'wonnwick could have been helping rescue people around the city, keeping a low profile. Maybe J'onn wasn't ready to reveal himself to the world yet.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #63
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Or he's a super-powered hermit deep in a cave because of the sun due to sensory overload or he's blending in with humanity for some purpose or another advanced alien race took him away or maybe he just killed himself or just died

Isearch4dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #64
John-An

Quote:
That's way to complicated and contrived to be good writing.
They're just theories you can only choose one.. nothing is impossible thought but that's the point of being a writer IMO ..challenges!!!

Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #65
John-An

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isearch4dope View Post
Don't think that would be a hard thing to do but I guess we'll see.....on another note...what happened to Dev-Em? (guessing he's the one that survived the crash) and why hasn't he showed himself as yet or has he?
I guess the only survivor was Supergirl (Kara)

Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #66
John-An

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Lol.. I like your username ^

People, you need to get more open minded. The writers could EASILY find a way to write Swanwick as MM, it's futile for us to come up with explanations, but I'm positive that if the plan was for Swanwick to be MM, that they've already got an idea of what he was doing during the invasion.

Swanwick could have read Clark or Zod's mind, and realized that the battle was very personal for Clark and Zod. Instead of facing Zod head on, J'wonnwick could have been helping rescue people around the city, keeping a low profile. Maybe J'onn wasn't ready to reveal himself to the world yet.
Yeah... if they show in future movies that he was helping people from the disaster Epic!!! and yeah writers can come up with the idea giving the explanation all of us are wondering right now

Old 10-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #67
Spamtron
THE MAN

Thumbs up Re: Is General Swanwick Martian Manhunter?

Quote:

Martian Manhunter: People die. All of my people died... as hard as is seems, there are larger threats than a small group of Kryptonian zealots in the universe.
this a bit better?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #68
Rorschach2012
$

I don't think MM would be that much of a douche ^

Plus in the comics, MM helps out in way smaller situations than the Metropolis battle. He has the power to make a difference, I don't think he'd be that cruel just because his own people died. He's more empathetic than that.

If he could have been rescuing people around the city using various human identities, I think that would be enough of an explanation

Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #69
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ That sounds good. But then cynics would complain that Superman wasn't as moral as MM. :P

But yeah, I think that's a much better explanation than "it's not my fight, I'll watch civvies die."

Also, if Superman is looking around for survivors afterward (which I hope happens in MOS2. It would be an epic retcon.) I would like him to be surprised at how many were able to be evacuated. MM can then reveal that helped with the relief effort or was needed elsewhere.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #70
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ That sounds good. But then cynics would complain that Superman wasn't as moral as MM. :P

But yeah, I think that's a much better explanation than "it's not my fight, I'll watch civvies die."

Also, if Superman is looking around for survivors afterward (which I hope happens in MOS2. It would be an epic retcon.) I would like him to be surprised at how many were able to be evacuated. MM can then reveal that helped with the relief effort or was needed elsewhere.
This Superman is more human than we've seen him before. This Superman is not the perfect person that he was in the golden age. He's an alien, but he's "human", not literally, but he's human in the sense that he was raised by humans, and has lived on Earth all his life.

I think it'd be okay if MM was more moral than Superman, MM can help him become the perfect hero. Plus MM was always the moral center of the league.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #71
John-An

Quote:
I don't think MM would be that much of a douche ^

Plus in the comics, MM helps out in way smaller situations than the Metropolis battle. He has the power to make a difference, I don't think he'd be that cruel just because his own people died. He's more empathetic than that.

If he could have been rescuing people around the city using various human identities, I think that would be enough of an explanation
Good explanation

Old 10-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #72
John-An

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post

Yeah like if Supes weren't doing anything but as you said they can connect events at the begining of SupesvsBats

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #73
Rorschach2012
$

Superman was furious after Zod messed with Supes' mom, he wanted nothing more than to end the conflict right there, he should've been thinking about the civilians, but I'm sure his reasoning would've been that he needed to defeat Zod as quickly as possible. Taking time to rescue civilians during the fight could've given Zod enough time to cause even more destruction. Time was of the essence, Zod had to be defeated immediately.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #74
John-An

Quote:
This Superman is more human than we've seen him before. This Superman is not the perfect person that he was in the golden age. He's an alien, but he's "human", not literally, but he's human in the sense that he was raised by humans, and has lived on Earth all his life.

I think it'd be okay if MM was more moral than Superman, MM can help him become the perfect hero. Plus MM was always the moral center of the league.
This superman is more human agreed but he always been the moral guy of the league... MM could help him with more things like training his mind against phsyquic threats... but the thing is this Superman was way too moral but not perfect and novice... that's the difference

Old 10-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #75
smallville fan
Hero

What if Swanwick is DC's answer to Agent Coulson?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Also, #GiveUsMoreLegends
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote