The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #451
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

I see I've still not gotten a good answer why quality in movies are not subjective. What a surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Imho this is why the current crop of super hero movies are entertaining and nothing more and they don't stay with you.
I think all superhero movies have mainly been entertaining and little else, although most of them have stayed with me anyway. All of them are flawed. All movies are to some degree and it's mainly about whether a given viewer is affected by them or not.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #452
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I see I've still not gotten a good answer why quality in movies are not subjective. What a surprise.

I think all superhero movies have mainly been entertaining and little else, although most of them have stayed with me anyway. All of them are flawed. All movies are to some degree and it's mainly about whether a given viewer is affected by them or not.

Obviously the quality of a movie is in the eye of the beholder , so yes, it is subjective. Someone out that thinks Green Lantern is the best superhero movie out there and someone out there thinks TDK is a piece of ****.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #453
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Obviously the quality of a movie is in the eye of the beholder , so yes, it is subjective. Someone out that thinks Green Lantern is the best superhero movie out there and someone out there thinks TDK is a piece of ****.
Indeed.

It's easy to see why some for example don't like humor in certain parts of TDW. It's also easy to see why some don't think that the Batman trilogy makes the realistic tone work with the CMB elements, or why some felt that TIH was just too much of a downer. A flaw doesn't have to be a flaw in our own eyes but it's often not that hard to see why someone likes or dislikes something.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #454
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Ang Lee has won best director twice, for brokeback mountain and life of pi. He also won best foreign film for crouching tiger hidden dragon.

He is a good director, and Hulk is underappreciated by comic book nerds, as it was not sufficiently heavy handed, and did not have aclear good guy and bad guy.

I predict if David Fincher or Martin Scorcese ever makes a CBM it will be panned by geekdom.
I thought that it was pretty clear Nick Nolte was the bad guy .
With a stronger ending,
Hulk might have done better at the box office .

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #455
Webhead38
Side-Kick

When it comes to any movie in the comic genre, I don't think much of what a critic says. And the reasons tend to be self-evident. Most of them are not fans of the subject anyway. So what some critics may deem hokey could actually be something relevant to the comic myth of the character that fans who read the material would desire. So critics are looking at it through a different set of lenses than the target audience who understands the material better.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #456
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
When it comes to any movie in the comic genre, I don't think much of what a critic says. And the reasons tend to be self-evident. Most of them are not fans of the subject anyway. So what some critics may deem hokey could actually be something relevant to the comic myth of the character that fans who read the material would desire. So critics are looking at it through a different set of lenses than the target audience who understands the material better.

Always judge a movie for yourself. If ASM 2 got 10% (or less) on RT I would still go and watch it.

The only time I take on board what a critic says is if I'm unsure about a movie and lots of critics say don't/do watch it but I've stopped getting bent out of shape if a critic has a different opinion to me. That said if they consistently have a different opinion to me I stop following that critic. Roger Ebert's opinion was nearly the exact same as mine and that's why he was my go to guy.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #457
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Always judge a movie for yourself. If ASM 2 got 10% (or less) on RT I would still go and watch it.

The only time I take on board what a critic says is if I'm unsure about a movie and lots of critics say don't/do watch it but I've stopped getting bent out of shape if a critic has a different opinion to me. That said if they consistently have a different opinion to me I stop following that critic. Roger Ebert's opinion was nearly the exact same as mine and that's why he was my go to guy.
Thats all anyone can do. I saw this article about albums that critics panned years ago that have turned out to be classic, and other albums that critics praised that were bombs. Only you can like or dislike a movie.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #458
Moonwing
Side-Kick

70%
64/27 - please drop to 65%.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #459
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
70%
64/27 - please drop to 65%.
The best bet is to be the first comic book movie of the year like IM3 cause even if your crappy like it was you get good reviews. By the end of the year the critics are tired of them That being said the critics were way to harsh on MOS it was the best comic book movie of the year

Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #460
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Deserves a higher RT score than IM 3. That movie ****ing sucked.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #461
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
That being said the critics were way to harsh on MOS it was the best comic book movie of the year

That says more about the Marvel comic book movies of this year than MoS.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #462
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
The best bet is to be the first comic book movie of the year like IM3 cause even if your crappy like it was you get good reviews. By the end of the year the critics are tired of them That being said the critics were way to harsh on MOS it was the best comic book movie of the year
For me it's TDW, IM3 and MoS, in falling order. I haven't seen The Wolverine yet.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #463
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

69%

rashad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #464
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=Moonwing;27165643]70%
64/27 - please drop to 65%.[/QUOTE
Why would you want it to drop to 65%?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #465
Thor Odinson
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
69%
Still too high for this movie.

Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #466
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Some people seem to like to focus on negative things. Not really my kind of people.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #467
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashad View Post
69%
70% now.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #468
Moonwing
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=Mysteryman;27166229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
70%
64/27 - please drop to 65%.[/QUOTE
Because it didn't deserve more? It`s a descent movie o.k. but descent is not good. If it be praised by critics Marvel will decide that it`s totally o.k. to do with future movies what they did to it - it was butchered on the editing table.

And believe me, I am a fan that will stand with the project that is hated by fans and critics alike - If I really like it and think that there is something really good inside. I did it with Bioware`s Dragon Age 2 (it`s so cool to try to shoo it on the net) and many others. But when I see faults in project that I like and do not see any redeeming qualities -my love for it would not sway me from truth.

Hobbit got 65% and it was boring, bloated mess. Beautiful and nicely acted but dull and pointless. TDW should get the same 65%- it`s fun, fast, energetic, beautiful with great leads (non of whom are Portman sadly) but badly cut, plot less on a basic level and emotion less product.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #469
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
For me it's TDW, IM3 and MoS, in falling order. I haven't seen The Wolverine yet.
I dont see how anyone could rank IM3 higher than MOS. But to each his own I guess.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #470
insideguy
Banned User

Also I notice many of the fresh reviews really are not that fresh. Things like this movie is a mess but a fun mess lol. Ahhh well I supposed those can be fun to

Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #471
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hans View Post
70% now.
Back at 71%.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #472
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Odinson View Post
Still too high for this movie.
What would you rate it?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #473
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
I dont see how anyone could rank IM3 higher than MOS. But to each his own I guess.
I can't see how that can be hard to understand, even if you don't agree. I can see why some would like MoS better, even though I think IM3 is much better myself.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #474
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=Moonwing;27166427][QUOTE=Mysteryman;27166229]
Because it didn't deserve more? It`s a descent movie o.k. but descent is not good. If it be praised by critics Marvel will decide that it`s totally o.k. to do with future movies what they did to it - it was butchered on the editing table.

And believe me, I am a fan that will stand with the project that is hated by fans and critics alike - If I really like it and think that there is something really good inside. I did it with Bioware`s Dragon Age 2 (it`s so cool to try to shoo it on the net) and many others. But when I see faults in project that I like and do not see any redeeming qualities -my love for it would not sway me from truth.

Hobbit got 65% and it was boring, bloated mess. Beautiful and nicely acted but dull and pointless. TDW should get the same 65%- it`s fun, fast, energetic, beautiful with great leads (non of whom are Portman sadly) but badly cut, plot less on a basic level and emotion less product.[/QUOTE
Marvel has a model for these movies .
They are not going to change that model unless TDW and subsequent Marvel films severely tank at the box office.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #475
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
I can't see how that can be hard to understand, even if you don't agree. I can see why some would like MoS better, even though I think IM3 is much better myself.
Yea ok. Well just my opinion but IM3 along with the first captain america are probably the two most overrated comic book movies of all time. One thing that bugs me about marvel movies is other than Loki there have been no interesting villains. Captain american had a chance with the Red Skull to make him on the level of the joker as far as nutty evil bad guy. But he was just a run off the assembly line badguy. Same with Iron man. They had a chance to make the mandarin something and push it aside. Zod was a cool bad guy and well done. I have heard the new Thor is the same way. No one cares about this bad guy either. But again just my opinion. I liked the first Thor and the reason I did so much I think is because of Loki