The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #526
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
It`s almost unwatchable (directors cut is even longer and more tedious if it`s possible) - I watched it in cinema first lime and than with a friends who were unable to go with me for the first time - we made fun out of it all along and so I have been able to actually enjoy it in a sense for the second time. But I guess this is not enjoyment that PJ had in mind.
I get what PJ was trying to do, he was basically trying to recapture the LOTR magic 14 years ago, but there's not enough weight in The Hobbit book to justify dragging it out for so long. Anyway, don't mean to derail the thread, I'm actually surprised Thor 2 is getting less positive reviews, but with greater ambitions means a greater execution is required, I guess some people are harder on it than I was.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #527
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I agree with the RT rating.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #528
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I get what PJ was trying to do, he was basically trying to recapture the LOTR magic 14 years ago, but there's not enough weight in The Hobbit book to justify dragging it out for so long. Anyway, don't mean to derail the thread, I'm actually surprised Thor 2 is getting less positive reviews, but with greater ambitions means a greater execution is required, I guess some people are harder on it than I was.
I am surprised people hate the hobbit so much. The worst thing that can be said about it is that it is boring in parts. It is not offensive, stupid, or irritating imho. Just a mild boring. That does not warrant hate, at least I do not think so.

Why are you surprised Thor 2 is getting less positive reviews? You said that only humour distinguishes it from MoS, which got 54%. Critics tend to be a little older, more cynical, more experienced, so I do not think they would go for that kind of humour.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-08-2013 at 12:20 AM.
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #529
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yet The Wolverine is only 1 point lower to the over-all percentage/average rating of Thor: The Dark World. Also The Wolverine has 62% score from top critics
Because the Wolverine usually hovered around 60-70% range for the bulk of its time, not enough for the certified fresh label.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #530
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I am surprised people hate the hobbit so much. The worst thing that can be said about it is that it is boring in parts. It is not offensive, stupid, or irritating imho. Just a mild boring. That does not warrant hate, at least I do not think so.

Why are you surprised Thor 2 is getting less positive reviews? You said that only humour distinguishes it from MoS, which got 54%. Critics tend to be a little older, more cynical, more experienced, so I do not think they would go for that kind of humour.
I guess I made the assumption people would find it funny and not take the film too seriously like I did, I guess not. And I wouldn't say it's the only thing that separates the two, but it's the most obvious thing that comes to mind that sets them apart. I think I've just accepted that Marvel isn't going to be making the types of superhero films I think should be made. I've been uber critical of most of their movies except IM1 and Avengers, but it's pointless me ranting when they're never going to go beyond a certain level of story telling. Frankly Chris Nolan in a sense ruined superhero movies for me because I want to see that type of film making with other characters, but that's not going to happen at least from Marvel's side. WB and Batman simply got lucky with Nolan, nothing but pure dumb luck.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #531
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:

Funny thing is I am not a huge LOTR fan. And was so tired of the whining hobbit after 3 movies that I didnt go see the Hobbit in the movie theater. But I did watch it on DVD and actually kinda enjoyed it. I think mostly cause I didnt have to listen to frodo moaning and Gollum talking to himself for hours on end. I really enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #532
MarvelU
Side-Kick

I have not seen it yet, but from what I picked up is that critics are being way more critical to these superhero movies. Lets not forget that there are about 4 superhero movies every year. If they don't offer anything new or fresh, then the critics will likely slam it as the usual stuff from most superhero movies. Once again I have not seen the movie yet, but from what I have seen from the trailers it reminds me of Man of Steel in terms of plot. Bad Alien comes to Earth to destroy and alien Hero saves the day.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #533
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
I have not seen it yet, but from what I picked up is that critics are being way more critical to these superhero movies. Lets not forget that there are about 4 superhero movies every year. If they don't offer anything new or fresh, then the critics will likely slam it as the usual stuff from most superhero movies. Once again I have not seen the movie yet, but from what I have seen from the trailers it reminds me of Man of Steel in terms of plot. Bad Alien comes to Earth to destroy and alien Hero saves the day.
There is going to be a backlash eventually. I thought MOS was really good. My favorite CBM of the year but the critics hammered it. And if 70% is backlash for a marvel movie then they are still in pretty damn good shape. Although top critics are not being as kind. One thing I think get critics going is the charisma of the hero. Thats why they loved IM3 so much even if the general movie wasnt so good. They just love RDJ.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #534
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
There is going to be a backlash eventually. I thought MOS was really good. My favorite CBM of the year but the critics hammered it. And if 70% is backlash for a marvel movie then they are still in pretty damn good shape. Although top critics are not being as kind. One thing I think get critics going is the charisma of the hero. Thats why they loved IM3 so much even if the general movie wasnt so good. They just love RDJ.
70% score is not bad, heck even a score of about 50% is sometimes not that bad. 70% is mixed to positive reviews and 50% is mixed or average. Also charisma is a very powerful tool to have. Even in real history, many charismatic world leaders were able to get a huge following.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #535
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
70% score is not bad, heck even a score of about 50% is sometimes not that bad. 70% is mixed to positive reviews and 50% is mixed or average. Also charisma is a very powerful tool to have. Even in real history, many charismatic world leaders were able to get a huge following.
Or even in simpler terms a charismatic car salesman can sell you a crap car Thats why I think happened in IM3 MOS? Well it was a nice car good quality but the actor wasnt RDJ

Old 11-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #536
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

There has been a lot of people knocking Thor but I want to put it out there that I really enjoyed the movie and my critisism shouldn't be construed as dislike.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #537
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
Look at Hobbit-it`s "top critics" are rotten as well while having healthy 65% with all the critics.
Well, The Hobbit has a specific aspect that critics hated....namely the 48 FPS. Which is easily avoided by just watching the movie in 24 FPS. I wonder what the RT score for that film would be if you could filter out all the criticisms of the 48 FPS. I'll bet it's RT percentage would rise 15-20% points.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #538
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
The critics are not being harsh on superhero films. Going back no further than 2011:

The Avengers, 92%, 301 reviews
Dark Knight Rises, 88%, 304 reviews
X Men: First Class, 87%, 243 reviews

Those are some excellent scores. If a great superhero movie is made, it will be treated as such. Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Kick Ass 2, and Thor 2 are apparently not up to par, though I can only speak for the two of the five that I saw.

Quote:
I guess I made the assumption people would find it funny and not take the film too seriously like I did, I guess not. And I wouldn't say it's the only thing that separates the two, but it's the most obvious thing that comes to mind that sets them apart. I think I've just accepted that Marvel isn't going to be making the types of superhero films I think should be made. I've been uber critical of most of their movies except IM1 and Avengers, but it's pointless me ranting when they're never going to go beyond a certain level of story telling. Frankly Chris Nolan in a sense ruined superhero movies for me because I want to see that type of film making with other characters, but that's not going to happen at least from Marvel's side. WB and Batman simply got lucky with Nolan, nothing but pure dumb luck.
WB took a risk hiring Nolan when he was not a proven commodity. In principal I don't see why this can never happen again with another franchise. When they had balls and were willing to take risks they got the Nolan Batman films. A few years later they went ultraconservative and hired Martin Campbell to do Green Lantern, and ummm... never mind. But ...

1) What kind of storytelling would you like to see?

2) How did chris nolan ruin comic book movies?
IMO a lot of creative teams are going out of their way to copy christopher nolan, and it's failing badly. Star Trek into Darkness and Man of Steel both came off as attempts at Nolanism to me. In a way, so did Thor 2 and Green Lantern, they took elements from his Batman films, and it did not work.

3) I have a general distaste of Marvel films, they're anti-science, they don't have themes, they have weak villains, there are too many bad jokes, and many movies are about other movies rather than the movie itself. I look forward to the day when Kevin Feige takes a hike. With that said, I think Joss Whedon's Avengers 2: Age of Ultron is a good shot at greatness. He's not a perfect writer-director, but he's very good, both Buffy and Firefly are regularly ranked among the top-25 tv shows of all time, and Buffy is ranked number 1 on a frequent basis. He also comes off as having the right attitude, he says he wants the sequel to be smaller in scope, to be more personal, which by the way is the exact opposite of what Zach Snyder says he wants for BvS.

I'll go a step further: I give Avengers 2 the greatest chance of being amazing out of all the comic book movies in prep that I have heard of.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-08-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #539
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Those are some excellent scores. If a great superhero movie is made, it will be treated as such. Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Kick Ass 2, and Thor 2 are apparently not up to par, though I can only speak for the two of the five that I saw.
Have to agree, not the best year for SH in terms of quality(all collected great money except KS2). Hope 14-15 are better.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #540
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

@da champ: i don't think you should list iron man 3 alongside man of steel, the wolverine and kick ass 2 when talking about RT scores.

79% is significantly higher than the other scores (56%, 69%, and 30% respectively)

as for thor, it could go up or down at this point (that's why i didn't include it)

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #541
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
@da champ: i don't think you should list iron man 3 alongside man of steel, the wolverine and kick ass 2 when talking about RT scores.

79% is significantly higher than the other scores (56%, 69%, and 30% respectively)

as for thor, it could go up or down at this point (that's why i didn't include it)
Depends on the specific point I'm trying to make. The specific point intended to those few paragraphs is that if a great superhero movie is made, the critics have shown they can be generous as recently as 2011 and 2012. In that sense IM3 fits in quite well with the other movies in that it is a 2013 CBM that is (apparently) not great, though I personally have not seen it so I can't state that confidently.

I don't think the critics are being unfair to Thor 2 and MoS. As recently as 1 year ago, they recognised excellence when it was there.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #542
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

fair enough. 75% and over is definitely not sub par, imo.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #543
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

WB took a risk hiring Nolan when he was not a proven commodity. In principal I don't see why this can never happen again with another franchise. When they had balls and were willing to take risks they got the Nolan Batman films. A few years later they went ultraconservative and hired Martin Campbell to do Green Lantern, and ummm... never mind. But ...

1) What kind of storytelling would you like to see?

2) How did chris nolan ruin comic book movies?
IMO a lot of creative teams are going out of their way to copy christopher nolan, and it's failing badly. Star Trek into Darkness and Man of Steel both came off as attempts at Nolanism to me. In a way, so did Thor 2 and Green Lantern, they took elements from his Batman films, and it did not work.

3) I have a general distaste of Marvel films, they're anti-science, they don't have themes, they have weak villains, there are too many bad jokes, and many movies are about other movies rather than the movie itself. I look forward to the day when Kevin Feige takes a hike. With that said, I think Joss Whedon's Avengers 2: Age of Ultron is a good shot at greatness. He's not a perfect writer-director, but he's very good, both Buffy and Firefly are regularly ranked among the top-25 tv shows of all time, and Buffy is ranked number 1 on a frequent basis. He also comes off as having the right attitude, he says he wants the sequel to be smaller in scope, to be more personal, which by the way is the exact opposite of what Zach Snyder says he wants for BvS.

I'll go a step further: I give Avengers 2 the greatest chance of being amazing out of all the comic book movies in prep that I have heard of.

It was a risk but it was also pure luck as well. Not even WB would have imagined where Chris Nolan took this series. I mean TDK was a hairs width away from a Best Picture Oscar nomination. They just happened to stumble upon a great film director to get Batman back to the top of the tree and that's not always repeatable.

What I'd like to see from Marvel is better supporting cast of characters and better developed villains for a start, this is one area where all the Marvel films have failed for the most part. Loki is the exception to the rule. Plus, I like to see them try something more intellectually challenging and not take such safe options, at the moment you don't really have to pay much attention to their films. But ultimately I'm not as fussed about that as I once was which leads me to the next point:

How Chris Nolan ruin superhero films for me is basically by not treating them as superhero films. I remember walking out of Batman Begins with a new perspective in regards to the genre, TDK then blew that perspective out wider. Suddenly most everything in comparison felt vanilla and too rooted in superhero cliches, I wanted more. It is true Nolan has left an impact on the genre and you can point to numerous examples throughout. The thing is though as much as I'd like to see other superhero films emulate the Nolan series, the truth is no-one is going to because they aren't Chris Nolan, and that's something I've come around to accept for the genre. In fairness post Avengers Marvel has at least attempted to do more with their films. IM3 clearly has a buddy-cop vibe throughout and Thor 2 feels more like a genuine fantasy movie this time around. That said they're still trying to keep one foot inside the superhero line which is probably why people are having issues with the humour in both movies - but I'm ok with it now because that is what it is. So if I'm lenient towards Thor 2 it's because my perspective has once again changed, I honestly don't expect them to match the quality of TDK anymore, and as such I guess I'm starting to enjoy them for what they are as a result.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #544
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
How Chris Nolan ruin superhero films for me is basically by not treating them as superhero films. I remember walking out of Batman Begins with a new perspective in regards to the genre, TDK then blew that perspective out wider. Suddenly most everything in comparison felt vanilla and too rooted in superhero cliches, I wanted more. It is true Nolan has left an impact on the genre and you can point to numerous examples throughout. The thing is though as much as I'd like to see other superhero films emulate the Nolan series, the truth is no-one is going to because they aren't Chris Nolan, and that's something I've come around to accept for the genre. In fairness post Avengers Marvel has at least attempted to do more with their films. IM3 clearly has a buddy-cop vibe throughout and Thor 2 feels more like a genuine fantasy movie this time around. That said they're still trying to keep one foot inside the superhero line which is probably why people are having issues with the humour in both movies - but I'm ok with it now because that is what it is. So if I'm lenient towards Thor 2 it's because my perspective has once again changed, I honestly don't expect them to match the quality of TDK anymore, and as such I guess I'm starting to enjoy them for what they are as a result.
That's a very healthy attitude.

ETA: Though, at some point, Marvel movies will have to grow, if for no reason that their 10 year old fans will one day be 15 and their 20 year old fans will one day be 25, as well as the fact you can't make the same movie over and over again. I'm old enough to have seen a few trends die: the martial arts movies are long gone, as are the epic sword movies (Gladiator, Troy), both of which were once powerhouse trends that regularly produced blockbusters. Don't expect comic book movies to be around forever as a permanent equilibrium.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 11-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #545
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

69%!

DyeLorean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #546
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Critics aren't being douches for douchebaggery sake, if a great superhero movie comes along it gets good reviews. There is no agenda there.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #547
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Yikes...67%.

I had a couple of issues with the film, but 67%? This is on it's way to being the most poorly rated MCU films yet...

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #548
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
Yikes...67%.

I had a couple of issues with the film, but 67%? This is on it's way to being the most poorly rated MCU films yet...
It`s rating with top critics is 40%! So I change my prediction-low 60 will be the end game.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #549
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

66%
Top Critics now 39%

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #550
First Avenger
Side-Kick