The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Where will Thor 2's RT rating end up?
90-100% 1 1.12%
80-89% 21 23.60%
70-79% 47 52.81%
60-69% 18 20.22%
50-59% 1 1.12%
40-49% 1 1.12%
30-39% 0 0%
20-29% 0 0%
10-19% 0 0%
0-9% 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #601
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Either way, the people early in this thread who said that American reviewers like to poo-poo films were right. I thought they were making stuff up, but they were right. Does anybody know why this happens?

Is it possible Marvel deliberately released the movie overseas first to try and torque the reviews into a positive direction? I was absolutely shocked that it was released in Australia prior to being released in the USA.
My thought on it is just that American reviewers try to prove how smart and superior they are by crapping on almost every genre movie.
They usually only like oscar contenders, which IMO are typically boring and overwrought

Whereas foreign reviewers are like "hey, that was fun, I enjoyed it, I'll give it a good review", American reviewers are all "I can't be seen to enjoy such common drivel [/snobby voice]"

Every superhero movie so far has dropped once the US reviews come in, even Avengers and TDK, I believe

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #602
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
My thought on it is just that American reviewers try to prove how smart and superior they are by crapping on almost every genre movie.
They usually only like oscar contenders, which IMO are typically boring and overwrought

Whereas foreign reviewers are like "hey, that was fun, I enjoyed it, I'll give it a good review", American reviewers are all "I can't be seen to enjoy such common drivel [/snobby voice]"

Every superhero movie so far has dropped once the US reviews come in, even Avengers and TDK, I believe
American reviewers loved the avengers and the darknight. And they loved gravity as well. If anything they are to kind to many movies IM3 is an example.

insideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #603
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:

Except that it's not just comic book movies. From the past two years:
The Avengers, 92%, 301 reviews
Dark Knight Rises, 88%, 304 reviews
X Men: First Class, 87%, 243 reviews

And going back a little further:
Spider Man 2, 94%, 248 reviews
Iron Man, 93%, 243 reviews
Spider Man, 89%, 224 reviews
Dark Knight Rises, 88%, 304 reviews
X Men 2, 87%, 224 reviews
Hellboy 2, 87%, 209 reviews
Batman Begins, 85%, 265 reviews
X Men, 82%, 243 reviews
Hellboy, 81%, 196 reviews

So a lot of "genre movies" and "superhero movies" do very well among critics, even if The Avengers dropped from 96% among foreign reviewers to 91% among American reviewers, which I'll take your word for, and imo isn't even a drop.

Aside from that:
Fellowship of the Ring: 92%
The Two Towers: 96%
Return of the King: 94%
Gravity: 97%
Pan's Labyrinth: 96%
District 9: 90%
Moon: 89%
Star Trek: 95%
Star Trek into Darkness: 87% (I say: WTF)
Inception: 86%
Rise of thePlanet of the Apes: 82%
Hunger Games: 84%
Children of Men: 93%
Chronicle: 85%

The critics do not have a general vendetta against scifi/fantasy/genre/comicbook/superhero movies. That's not the explanation for anything.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #604
tay1
Side-Kick

Who really matters? People who get paid to tell their opinions about movies they probably don't care about like us or the audience rating? Audience rating is 4.1 out of 5. That's all that matters.

Last edited by tay1; 11-08-2013 at 04:13 PM.
tay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #605
Moonwing
Side-Kick

For example, here, in Russia it got gloving press, extremely positive WOM and now heading to 35m overall. WOM seems to be great so I really, really doubt that even rotten score will somehow stop people from going.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #606
ares834
Side-Kick

Yeah, the RT scare isn't a huge deal. It's main purpose is for fanboys to argue that their preferred movie is "objectively" better.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #607
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:

In this case, the American reviewers were not wrong imo.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #608
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I don't necessarily disagree with the reviews, but IMO this was better than MoS and The Wolverine, but not as good as IM3.

So the only shock so far is that it's rated below The Wolverine. TW, wasn't bad, it was far more disposable than this film was.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #609
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Man of Steel, The Dark World, The Wolverine up until the finale, IM3, and the last 15 mins of The Wolverine. That is the list for me.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #610
jmc
callin' it like I see it

It's been a pretty ordinary year for superhero films in general.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #611
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I adore Man of Steel, and really like many aspects of the other three films. So I am good.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #612
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I adore Man of Steel, and really like many aspects of the other three films. So I am good.
Its weird I am with you on MOS. It either finishes first or last on everyones cbm lists this year. I wonder why that is. For me watching MOS was such an epic experience. Watching IM3 had me thinking if these people arent taking this threat seriously wtf should I. Wolverine was pretty cool and havent seen the new Thor yet.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #613
insideguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with the reviews, but IMO this was better than MoS and The Wolverine, but not as good as IM3.

So the only shock so far is that it's rated below The Wolverine. TW, wasn't bad, it was far more disposable than this film was.
I think you have to remember critics are human and dont always just look at films on face value. They tend to compare alot. So comparing this wolverine with the last one they liked it. Comparing this Thor with the last one they didnt like it. And dont get me started on how they compared MOS with the first two superman films

Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #614
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideguy View Post
Its weird I am with you on MOS. It either finishes first or last on everyones cbm lists this year. I wonder why that is. For me watching MOS was such an epic experience. Watching IM3 had me thinking if these people arent taking this threat seriously wtf should I. Wolverine was pretty cool and havent seen the new Thor yet.
I am not sure. All I can say is how I feel about the films and try to explain that as best as I can.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #615
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

I saw the movie before most on October 28, came back, posted that it was the worst MCU film (and i like/love all MCU films), so i'm glad (relieved?) that my opinion is, thus far, being validated via RT.

and that's what it boils down to; opinions. if you liked the movie a lot, more power to you, just don't go sprouting that people are "wrong" if they didn't enjoy it as much.

www.redlettermedia.com
Repulsor Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #616
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
It has about 90 reviews to go, no more than 20 of those can be negative for it to hit 70% again.
Well its consistently dropping. So I don't think it will hit 70% again.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #617
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

For me it doesn't matter.

I trust my opinion first, then consider what the average movie goer says, then critics dead last.

The best part of Rotten Tomatoes for me is the user-score. That's the score of the average movie goer who chose to check the movie out on their own free will (more or less, there are cases where we were all dragged by a significant other or a some friends to something we normally wouldn't go to). Most Critics get paid to watch things that they may even downright hate the genre of, I just can't ever consider them seriously.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #618
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymminator View Post
For me it doesn't matter.

I trust my opinion first, then consider what the average movie goer says, then critics dead last.

The best part of Rotten Tomatoes for me is the user-score. That's the score of the average movie goer who chose to check the movie out on their own free will (more or less, there are cases where we were all dragged by a significant other or a some friends to something we normally wouldn't go to). Most Critics get paid to watch things that they may even downright hate the genre of, I just can't ever consider them seriously.

Critics only matter to the extend that you agree with them. My option is what is more important to me than what some critics says.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-09-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:03 AM   #619
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It's been a pretty ordinary year for superhero films in general.

Have to agree with this.
I'm buying MoS/IM3 (bought)/TDW
to complete collections rather than thinking the movies knocked it out the park. Not even bothering with TW where the final 10 minutes is too ridiculous for me to watch again.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #620
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I hope no one lets Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic decide which films they should like.
Dredd is low 70's on RT and I thought that movie was ****ing brilliant.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #621
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Man of Steel, The Dark World, The Wolverine up until the finale, IM3, and the last 15 mins of The Wolverine. That is the list for me.
Having just watched the extended cut of Wolverine, this is my summer;

Man of Steel
The Wolverine Extended
Thor The Dark World

Iron Man Three

The Dark World is solid, though. I wish the script matched the visuals and the design of the picture. Oscar worthy, in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #622
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
When a movie drops below 70%, they remove the badge. I think that is their policy.
SM3 is 63% and is still certified fresh.

Can't believe IM3 is 79% I thought that movie sucked.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #623
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
So I've been keeping track, and this movie was at 87% at 47 reviews, at 75% at 87 reviews, at 70% at 130 reviews, and now at 65% at 165 reviews, or something like that. It's basically averaging in the mid 50s aside from the first ~50 reviews that came from overseas reviewers. If it finishes with 220 reviews and the current trends, the final score will be 63%. If it finishes with 250 reviews and the current trends, the final score will be 62%. It could drop further if the final reviewers are biased by the dropping reviews and decide to gang up.

Either way, the people early in this thread who said that American reviewers like to poo-poo films were right. I thought they were making stuff up, but they were right. Does anybody know why this happens?

Is it possible Marvel deliberately released the movie overseas first to try and torque the reviews into a positive direction? I was absolutely shocked that it was released in Australia prior to being released in the USA.
Maybe because critics are getting tired of superheroes? There was even a news article from China showing that superhero films are underperforming there. And yes, American Reviewers are the worst.

If critics are getting tired of superhero films, I hope that 2014 and 2015 won't end in disaster for us when critics tear up our soon to be favorite movies. or maybe it's just the solo films?

The fact that Australia gets films before the rest of the world isn't really a shock. That's one of the best parts of living here IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
SM3 is 63% and is still certified fresh.

Can't believe IM3 is 79% I thought that movie sucked.
I agree, I found Regular Man underwhelming with underwhelming characters clogging up the screen.

I wonder if things were different if Thor was released first. What do you guys think? I think it might have reached some fraction of Iron Man 3's money?

WILL HAPPILY DEBUNK ANY HATER AND SEND THEM PACKING! :P
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #624
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Maybe because critics are getting tired of superheroes? There was even a news article from China showing that superhero films are underperforming there. And yes, American Reviewers are the worst.

If critics are getting tired of superhero films, I hope that 2014 and 2015 won't end in disaster for us when critics tear up our soon to be favorite movies. or maybe it's just the solo films?

The fact that Australia gets films before the rest of the world isn't really a shock. That's one of the best parts of living here IMO.

I agree, I found Regular Man underwhelming with underwhelming characters clogging up the screen.

I wonder if things were different if Thor was released first. What do you guys think? I think it might have reached some fraction of Iron Man 3's money?

I 100% enjoyed TDW more than IM3.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #625
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I think we have to accept that Marvel (Studio) movies are going to lean more towards comedy than drama and IMHO that's a mistake.